Chapter One

Winter Love

 

Taeyeon

 

‘Be careful of the winter wind child. The princess overlooks this village with her watchful eye with the help of the wind’s eyes. She will send your crops to wither away from the cold, leave the poor freezing in the snow, and make the crop become weak and diseased and freeze over the whole village if you dare take one step against her. To appease the ice princess, we send one woman from our village to calm down her anger every five years.’

Those were the words that were whispered and taught to me by many of the village elders. It was part of our tradition to hold a ceremony every five years to choose one female from our village to go up to the caves above our village where the princess was. Every five years, families would hide their daughters and wives from the eyes of the princess, hoping that the princess would not realise of their existence. I was generally not allowed out at all.
I’m Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon, the daughter of the chief of this fear stricken village. My father would not allow me to step foot outside into the cold winter air and as a result, no one really knew that I had existed. To be honest, it was rather lonely. To be surrounded by the elderly who teach me about the legends and myths of this area. The most common one was of the princess.

I found it fascinating how the story goes. It was rather heartbreaking as well.
The beautiful princess from a faraway kingdom came to this village many years ago. She was visiting on some formal event in another kingdom and had settled here for a few nights to rest before she continued on with her journey. Whilst she was staying here, she had met a handsome young man who owned the bakery across from the inn she was staying at. Every day she would stare outside her window in hopes of catching a glimpse of the handsome young man. The princess fell hopelessly in love with the young man from across the street that she dismissed her meeting with the next kingdom in order to stay longer. Eventually she got the courage to come down from the window and talk to the baker.
The story was romantic and sweet in the beginning. That was all I was told when I was younger before I was ushered to sleep. But as I got older, I got told a lot more.

The princess fell so hopelessly in love with the baker that she started getting obsessed with him. She started spending all day with him and even asked him if she could come with him into his house so that she could remain with him. The young baker however, had no interest in the princess whatsoever, even if she was really beautiful. Truth was that the baker was already engaged to a peasant from the next street. The princess eventually found out and ordered her people to capture the girl and eventually beheaded her.

When I heard about that part of the story, I was horrified. I felt sorry for the innocent girl who had done nothing at all, probably didn’t even know who the princess was. The story didn’t stop there.

The princess continued with her love for the baker, but once the baker found out about his love being murdered, he was repulsed by the princess even more. He then began preying on other woman and every woman besides the princess. Naturally, the princess beheaded them all. Finally, the baker couldn’t take it anymore. He turned down the princess and cursed her, cursed her for her cold heart that killed so many innocent women and banished her to a lonesome cave above the village. The princess did not agree at all, but the baker had a plan. He promised the princess that he would be hers if she would come up to the cave with him. Once the two were up in the caves, the baker had organised a group of men whose friends and families were murdered by the princess and trapped the princess by cuffing her arms to a heavy rock. Being the princess she was, she could not break out of the cuffs and was eventually abandoned in the cave.

Although most people called the baker a hero, I thought differently. They say that love can make people do many things. The princess just loved the baker with all she could. Although I myself do not know what it is love, I envied that the princess could love someone like that. The fact that she felt so strongly for someone proves that her heart was not as cold as ice. It was as fragile as a crystal, broken many times over by the baker and his affairs.
I did not voice my opinion on the legend though. I was the chief’s daughter. I couldn’t be caught going against the village’s traditions. Not that anyone knew about me in the first place.

I found the tradition sickening as well. Every five years, women would literally disappear off the streets, until that fateful day when one of their names would be drawn from the basket. My name was in that basket too, but I highly doubt that I will be called. There were probably three copies of everyone’s name whilst only one of mine. The chances were slim.
I still don’t understand why we sacrifice our women to the princess anyway. I heard that the princess began to take out her anger and jealousy on the village, sending deadly cold summers and even more deadly winters for years until they began bringing women up to her to take her anger out on them. The princess hated women, or so I hear.
Coincidence. It was all a coincidence. Every five years I was tempted to break out of the house and stop everything. But then I would be shunned and most probably banished as well. Scary villagers the people around me are.

But… what can I do about it? I’m a daughter of the village’s most respected man who doesn’t even exist to the people. There have been rumours about me but father just bluntly denied it.

“Princess. Are you comfortable?” a middle aged woman asked me. I turned to her and nodded slightly with a small smile. I was sitting beside the window with a view of the whole village. Everyone was busying themselves with preparations for the upcoming ceremony. I was again, not allowed to step foot out of the room this time. Father didn’t want to risk me being caught by the onlookers. The middle aged woman who was adjusting my coat was most probably paid a large amount of gold to keep me a secret. She seemed more than happy to appease me.

“Thank you.” I whispered back to her. Although I may be the chief’s eldest daughter, it doesn’t mean that I’m what the stereotypical ‘princess’ would be like. I respect those around me, even envy them.

“If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to call for me” the woman bowed her head slightly at me before shuffling back to the door. Once the door closed I looked out through the window again. There were absolutely no females on the streets. It was like a whole new society. Men were buying the bread and meat, the men were taking their sons to collect firewood and it was the men hanging out the clothes on the washing line.

“It’s that time of the year again.” I whispered to myself as sadness overwhelmed me again. In three days another innocent soul would be forced to leave their family and be trudged up to the cave above the village as a fair trade for a safe season. Disgusting. How could people be so naïve and superstitious? It always amazed me that they believed that.

Maybe this year I will be chosen. My father may be biased but he is still a little fair. If everyone else had the chance to lose their family, the chief must also participate. That I honoured him for. He led the people well. But one tradition ruined my view on everything.
I know that I am probably the only one who thinks of all this. But I do have a lot more time than others to think. A lot more.

I wanted to be picked this year. I wanted to see for myself what this princess was like. She is supposedly the most beautiful being there is, but also the coldest. Consumed by hate and anger, she had supposedly become a totally different being. Not human nor ghost. The common term for her was the ‘Demon Ice Princess’. Sounded rather attractive really.

I looked up at the sky above the village. The winter clouds were rolling in slowly. The sun was now almost non-existent, only appearing for a few hours a day, sometimes not at all. It was a signal to the villagers that winter was coming, and the princess’ wrath would either be unleashed or withheld. It was always withheld. Always. There hasn’t been a deadly winter for over a hundred years. Like I mentioned before, superstitious people.

*************************************

“Taeyeon. Stay inside. Father needs to attend the ceremony. Oh and, happy birthday dear.” my father patted my head slowly before putting on a large fur coat and walking out of the door. It was finally here. The day of the selection. Also known as my birthday. Ironic isn’t it? The selections would always be performed under the bright full moon, and this year, on my twenty-third birth year, it happened to be on my birthday.
This was going to be one interesting year.

The ceremony had started. Everyone was gathered in front of my family’s house where the last of the season’s flowers were placed around a circle and everyone huddle inside it. For one, it was to keep warm, but it was also for luck. Surprising what these people will believe next.

They all suddenly started moving their hands in what happened to be in a clapping motion, but many weren’t that glad. After all, their loved ones were all on the line, who would be glad? My father was trying to pull off a smile in the front of the crowd of people. I knew that he was feeling uneasy. I still had a chance to get drawn from the basket of names. Minimal, but still existent.

“And now, we shall draw a name.” I heard him pronounce loudly. I saw a few people in the crowd were already shielding either their daughter or wives. Fear struck their eyes and they all seemed like they had seen a bear burst through the front of their door.
Silence filled the whole village. It was time. Time to pick the unfortunate woman who would sacrifice her life in order to continue this village’s only tradition. People call them heroes, but deep down, I know that they are just shunning them with disgust. Why else would they allow someone so innocent to be sent off to a cave to most probably freeze to death?

“This year… the noble hero who will do honour for their family… is…” I heard father start. He put his hand into the basket of names and felt around to pull out a name… the unfortunate’s name.

“…” It was silent. Father had already read the name but he didn’t say it out aloud. Instead he stood there, frozen as though the ‘ice princess’ wrath’ had hit him. One of the elders walked up to him and peered at the name. His face paled immediately.

I think I know whose name it was. In fact, I knew. Why else would father be so still and the elder be so pale? There was only one name that would cause that. One name that I was too familiar with.

“Kim… Taeyeon…” my father uttered stiffly. Well aren’t I lucky? Not only was I picked from the many names, but I also guessed correctly too. I smirked slightly when I saw the crowd looking at each other with confusion. I didn’t exist to them after all.

The men who were to the lucky woman to the caves hesitated. But after a whole minute of confusion, the elder nodded his head towards where I was. The chief must abide by the traditions as much as any other family, even if it was unfair. The men knew who I was since they worked with father often so they weren’t really that confused as to why the elder nodded his head towards the chief’s house. My father then finally snapped his head back and stared down the men. This was going to rather difficult. He was the chief, but I was his daughter.

“Kim… You know the traditions.” I heard the elder mutter. I didn’t mind that I was chosen. In fact, I was rather relieved. At least other families would be safe for another five years. I was more than willing to sacrifice myself for them, but father was rather different. Father didn’t move from his gaze.

“If you want something done, you’ll have to do it yourself.” I said determinedly as I stood up abruptly. I dropped the blanket that was laid across my knees and marched out of the small room to the front door. I turned the handle confidently and stepped out, revealing myself for the first time to the villagers.

“I’ll go.” I called out confidently to the crowd. The villagers gasped at the sight of me. I’m not that feral am I? It must be the shock of my existence.

Father turned around to face me with fear stricken eyes but I avoided them. I then marched out of the house and towards the men. As I got closer, I realised how big they were compared to me. I was standing up as straight as I could yet I was only up to the shoulders of the youngest male. My heart started pounding rapidly. I didn’t believe in the ice princess legend and I wasn’t scared of her if it was real. I was more intimidated by the gazes of the men that were thrown at me.

“Taeyeon…” my father whispered behind me. It hurt me that I would leave him, but at least I was doing a favour for the rest of the villagers.

“I, Kim Taeyeon, daughter of Shinhyung Kim, gladly accept the honour of sacrificing myself for the wellbeing of the village for the upcoming years.” I announced proudly. The crowd gasped. No one had been so freely to accept their fate. The most was the girl who didn’t shed one tear but she remained mute.

“We honour your sacrifice Kim Taeyeon…” the elder said in a low voice as he bowed his head slightly to me. Ah yes, the sign of respect and gratitude for sacrificing yourself. The whole crowd began bowing their heads; lots of them even went down to their knees. I then turned back to my father and looked at him with expectant eyes. It was his turn to speak.

“You shall forever… remain a hero… in our scriptures and history… Kim Taeyeon… the twenty-fifth hero of… our village…” Father uttered stiffly. He had duties as the chief but I could see it broke his heart to see me in this situation. He did all he could to avoid this fateful day. But I guess even that wasn’t enough.
The middle aged woman who served me brought up the book of all the past ‘heroes’ up to father. He was going to write my name into that book so that I could be remembered. This really was the best birthday present; to be the twenty-fifth hero of this village.

“For years to come, we shall thank you for… the next five peaceful years… and keep you in our minds…” the speech continued. Father was starting to tear up. It was heartbreaking. Although I never did see him often, it hurt to see anyone like him. To condemn his own daughter to her grave and at the same time, honour her.

“For years to come…” I recited. I’ve studied enough to know what I was supposed to say. No one had made it through the whole speech before they would break down completely, even faint.

My father, the chief, then wrote my name into the book. He then shut it tightly, the sound of the book echoed into the silent village. Automatically, arms locked around my own and I was pulled out of the crowd of people. I was willing to walk by myself so I pulled my arms away and started walking by myself. As I walked by the people they were all murmuring prayers of thanks and gratitude. I saw they were still trying their best to huddle into the circle of flowers.

“Maybe they are lucky.” I whispered silently to myself, realising that I was probably the only one who wasn’t in that circle. I then turned my attention straight forward where there was a carriage and horses ready for my departure.

The horses were white and so was the carriage. It was really beautiful, but I guess it symbolised my grave. I would be taken up to the cold mountain where the cave was and be left there with nothing but the clothes I am wearing. I would ‘presumably’ be slit across the throat right then and there by the princess, but I had more chances of being eaten by a stray bear than that.

I was helped onto the carriage as the men hopped in too. They surrounded me protectively, making sure that I would remain alive until I reached the cave. Two men went to the front to steer the carriage as the rest remained silent in the carriage behind. It was dead silent. I looked up to the faces of the men to see fear in their faces. Father wasn’t going to be happy.

“Princess. The chief ordered us to bring you to the nearest road… he also gave you this.” The man next to be said quietly as he handed me a bag. Inside was more clothes, food and some gold. I looked up at him with confusion.

“We will find another woman to take your place. The chief told us to release you so you can find another village.” He continued. My jaw dropped slightly. They were going to kidnap and abduct another innocent being to take my place? Feral beasts.

“No.” I said sternly. The men all looked at me with surprise.

“Do you men have women who are dear to you?” I asked them seriously, making sure I made eye contact with all of them. They all seemed to stiffen as soon as I mentioned women. They definitely had women they wanted to keep safe.

“I said before, I gladly accept this fate. I do not wish for any other innocent women to be sacrificed. Even if it is just for a period of five years, if I can spare one life, I will.” I told them sternly. They were probably rather shocked that I talked so much, and even wanted to sacrifice myself.

“Take me up to the cave. I do not follow my father’s orders.” I focused my eyes at every single one of them. They were rather hesitant. With my father’s position they could probably end up like me. I sighed heavily and looked down at the bag. I opened it again and took out half of the food and clothes. I didn’t bother to take any of the gold before I wrapped it up again.

“Tell my father you did what you told him to. Follow his orders up until you find the next woman. When you are to take her from her family, reassure her family that she will be safe and give her this.” I handed the bag again with the gold and half of the supplies.

“Instead of allowing me to escape, allow the next woman to. Do not mention any of this to my father and everyone will remain safe.” I saw that the men were now wide eyed.

“But Princess…” one of the men started. I held up my hand and stopped him.

“I know it will be hard for my father to lose his child. But I do not wish for any other families to experience it. As long as father thinks I am fine, everything will be okay.” I smiled softly. I saw that the youngest male at the end was wiping his eyes.

“Princess… you really are kind hearted… may the gods keep you safe from the wrath of the ice princess and allow you to be free” he sobbed. I smiled widely at him and got up unsteadily to give him a hug. The male next to him got up and gave me a hug before everyone else starting giving me a hug.

“We will forever remember you” they uttered. I nodded confidently and smiled, feeling a little wet droplet fall from the side of my eye. This is probably the only interesting thing that will happen to me. Sadly, it would also probably be my last…

 

 

“Princess… Are you sure about this?” the youngest one asked me. I turned back around and nodded confidently. We had arrived at the cave and I was greeted by the ice cold snow beneath my shoes. I then waved my hand at the men to dismiss them but the hesitated. On our way here we had talked about many things, including their family and loved ones. They had grown attached to me and offered to take me somewhere else. But, I really didn’t want to risk letting someone else take my place. If the next girl was not like me, they would probably not hesitate to bring her here and leave her.

“Thank you for escorting me here. Return safely.” I smiled bravely and waved eagerly. Although they are really kind and fun people, they were still stupid. They believed in the princess and did not want to stay around any longer. They bowed in unison again before jumping into the carriage and leaving me alone. I took a deep breath and turned around to the cave. It was confirmed that there was someone up here, but no one really got a good look. They all fled quickly I believe.

“Well Taeyeon… They did say to be careful of what you wish for. Seems your birthday wish came true.” I said proudly to myself. The horses behind me gave a loud grunt before the sounds of wheels turning were heard. I smiled to myself. What was I going to do now? Wait for the cold winter air to take me? Or would I die of hunger first? I only had enough food to last me a few days anyway and I doubt anything would be available in this snow.

I just shrugged off the negative thoughts and started making my way to the cave. I approached the cave and noticed that it was rather empty. Only a few boulders of rocks here and there. There was also a burnt area on the side of the cave where I assume someone had made a fire previously. Just goes to prove the princess doesn’t slit my throat right then and there I guess. I walked into the cave away from the freezing cold wind and lowered myself next to the biggest bolder. I leaned against it and closed my eyes slightly.

I was used to be alone. This was no different besides from the temperature. At least I could feel easy for the rest of my short life knowing that whilst I still lived, no one else would be condemned to this fate, assuming that I make it past the first week. I lowered my measly belongings of extra clothes and food and looked around the cave.
No sign of any angry jealous princess. No signs of any being really.

“Princess. Where are you? I’m here to relieve your anger and spare the village.” I called out musingly. There was no ice princess. It’s all a myth probably derived from an old wives tale. I looked out of the cave entrance and saw part of the village. I got up from my boulder and walked out again to see the whole village. You really could see everything from up the mountain. Although you could not see clearly the faces of the villagers, you can tell each one apart.

“Nice view…” I laughed to myself. I was used to viewing the rest of my surrounding through a window, but this view was very different. Everything in the village didn’t concern me anymore. And I was finally suited for that village. Instead of being ignored and treated as though I was non-existent to the village, I really was non-existent now. Shouldn’t my life be flashing before my eyes now that I’m facing death?

There isn’t much to flash back to anyway. Just the occasional bug scaring me at the window was all that was worth seeing in my life.

“Who are you?”

I jumped out of my boots at the sudden voice behind me. As I turned around to see who was behind me I began falling closer to the edge of the cliff head. Whilst I was falling, I noticed a girl wearing a thin robe with bright brunette coloured hair standing out from the white background of the snow. I didn’t get to get a closer look before I realised I was falling to my death.

Well I certainly didn’t expect this possibility. To die falling off the cliff. And here I was excited to meet the friendly bear that would be the end of me.

Being the human that I am, I automatically grabbed onto whatever I could to stop myself from dying. Just so happens that the ledge was made of rock so I was able to grip onto the edge firmly. Whilst I was hanging off the edge I looked down. Bad idea.

The drop was really big. It would take at least a whole two minutes to hit the bottom. I don’t think it would be a soft landing either.

As I hung there, I noticed that my hands were starting to slip from the melting snow under my hands. I tightened my grip on the edge and tried to pull myself up by stepping onto the edge and pushing myself up. I misplaced my foot and ended up hanging again, only this time, I had only one hand on the edge.

“I certainly didn’t wish for this” I grunted as I tried to throw my other hand up. With the swinging of my body, I ended up slipping with the last hand I have. Well, at least I didn’t die in an old room with only a handful knowing I existed.

My hand began to tire out and I really couldn’t hold on any longer. I then took a deep breath and looked down at the drop. I then closed my eyes and allowed my hand to let go.

I began to feel my body slowly drop.

So this was the end of me huh? At least it’s an exciting way to die.

“Got you” a voice suddenly groaned. A warm hand then enclosed itself around my arm and caught me from freefalling. I opened my eyes again and looked up to see the brunette holding onto me. She then began pulling my up slowly.

“A little help… would be nice” the girl grunted against my weight. I immediately reacted by reaching my hand up to the edge and pulling myself up. So I didn’t imagine the girl. She did exist.

Or maybe… I was already dead?

No matter. Save self now, think later.

The girl continued to pull me up until I was safely away from the deadly drop. I had just noticed that my heart was beating really fast. I guess facing death numbs all your senses. The beating against my chest was starting to get a little painful so I lay there, taking deep breaths to calm myself down.

“You’re not light I can tell you that.” The brunette in front of me gasped. I lifted myself off the snow floor and looked at her. She was wearing nothing but thin sleeveless clothing in this freezing weather. My eye then caught onto my clothes tied to a tree and to her arm. Took me a while to process that she had used my clothes as a rope.

“Th-Thank you” I said breathlessly. I then propped myself up and brushed the snow off. I then offered my hand to the girl but she rejected it and helped herself up.

“I’ll ask you again… Who are you?” the girl asked me again. I blinked with confusion a few times, wondering why she was asking for who I was. But most importantly, who was she?

“You are not tied up like the rest of the people who are sent here. You even have clothes and food. I presume you are from the village?” she asked bluntly. I cocked my head to the side. She couldn’t be could she?

“Kim Taeyeon…” I uttered slightly. She turned around and walked back into the cave, leaving me behind. I innocently shuffled behind her until she sharply turned around and shot me an ice cold glare.

“Should you not be running for your village now?” she cocked up her eyebrow and folding her arms. Okay now I am really suspicious.

“Why would I be?” I challenged back. She scoffed at me and faced her whole body towards me. She then spread her arms out to show the cave and surroundings.

“Well… I’m a girl, inside this cave. Shouldn’t you get that hint?” she challenged back. Now I was really, really suspicious. But I wasn’t completely convinced.

“I would just like to ask… are you the so called ‘ice princess’ that overlooks my village from this cave?” I asked curiously. She smirked at my remark and pointed to the top of her head.

“Because I don’t have a crown you don’t think I’m the princess?” she mocked. My thoughts were now confirmed. She was the rumoured ice princess of our tradition.

“Should you not be cowering in fear? Or are you here to plead for the safety of your people?” she spoke again. She surely had the attitude of an ice princess. But doesn’t change the fact that all of our tradition was lies. This princess who had supposedly murdered hundreds of women had just saved my life.

“I should not be cowering in fear as I have nothing to cower from. I am not here to plead as there is nothing to plead for.” I answered back confidently. She laughed at me again but it seemed out of sarcasm rather than amusement.

“Well you’re a new one. How should I deal with you? Bring the spirits of my kingdom’s guards to deal with you? Freeze your body with the icy winds? Or just simply slit your throat with an ice shard?” she took a step closer to me. I didn’t cower.

“None… all those are rumours that the superstitious people of my village think of.” I crossed my arms and stood confidently. I could see that she was very shocked. I was the first one to think this way anyway. Giving someone more than enough time to think is dangerous. You realised things about life you haven’t noticed before.

“Go back to wherever you came from and leave me alone, peasant. Leave me to my peace.” The princess shooed me away with the wave of her arm before marching back to her cave. I stood there with a confused expression and looked around. I then followed the princess with my eyes and saw her sitting in the back corner of the cave, huddled up into a small ball. I then looked over at my opened back to see the food still there.

If I was going to stay here for a while, I might as well pay for the shelter. So, with that in mind, I walked over to the pieces of bread on the cloth and picked up a whole one and a half one. I then slowly trudged into the cave and stood in front of the princess.

“For you Princess” I smiled warmly as I offered her the whole bread. She looked up at me with a weird expression. I know… I’m a rather strange child.

“I thought I told you to leave.” She said back coldly. I just shrugged and placed the bread in her hands. I then sat beside her and pulled my knees up before munching on my half.

“I heard you. But I have nowhere to go. If I were to go back to my village, they would bring someone else up here.” I said indifferently. I looked over at her to see her holding the bread in her hands. She turned it around a few times to examine it before she ripped a small piece off and took a bite.

“So what do you plan to do?” the princess asked slowly. I stopped biting onto my share of the food and pouted. What was I going to do?

“Don’t know yet. I guess I’ll do whatever I feel like.” I shrugged. The princess beside me ripped off another small piece of the bread and put it in . She seemed to be staring off into the distance with her eyes but she continued talking to me.

“What do you feel like now?” she chewed on her portion slowly. I crossed my arms with the bread still in my hand and leaned my chin against my knee.

“What I feel like now? Well first off… I’d like to know your name, Princess” I turned my head slightly to face her. She refocused her gaze to me and her expression was questioning.

“Why would you want to know that?” she asked coldly. I seem to be surprising her a lot in the past hour.

“So that I can thank you properly for saving me back then. Or would you rather me call you Princess all the time?” I offered. She furrowed her eyebrows and mimicked my position from before with her chin on her knee. I knew she was thinking whether it was worth it or not so I just waited.

The princess then suddenly stood up abruptly and remained in her position. I looked up at her with questionable eyes but she hid her face away from me.

“Jung Jessica.” I heard her mutter before she walked off to the other side of the cave and sat down again, taking a huge bite out of her bread. I chuckled to myself slightly and remained in my seat to allow the princess her alone time.

So I had sacrificed my village life for Jung Jessica. Seemed reasonable enough. My life would be interesting at least.