물고기

y, Free, and Single

"Hae, are you ready for our little trip today?"

"Yeah, I'm so excited! Come on, I can't wait anymore."

"Well, you better go and say bye to your father before we leave."

"Okay mom!"

The little Donghae runs to his father's side and hugs on tightly, bidding him farewell. At least until the mother and son pair comes back from their annual trip to the beach. Usually his father would tag along too, but his illness has finally caught up to him causing him to be too ill to leave.

"I love you, dad. We'll be home soon, promise to wait for us?"

"Yes son, I promise. Now go and have fun with your mother for me."

But he couldn't. He couldn't wait for his family, his wife and son that he loved so much. His illness was too much for him, and it quickly took his life.

"Dad, dad! Come back to us, please dad! You promised to wait for mom and I, you promised. . . ." hearing his own voice repeatedly through a hazy dream, Donghae rises up out of his bed with sluggish motions.

Looking out his window into the sad and depressing world he no longer wants to be in, Donghae stares out into the light blue sky. It's a clear and "beautiful" sunny day, perfect weather to go out for a jog.

Putting on his sweatpants, sweatshirt, and shoes, he starts with a few morning stretches. Heading out the door, his mood starts to lighten just a little. He starts off with just a light jog, passing by all of his elderly neighboors tending to their gardens and lawns. Smiling and bidding them good morning, he watches as all of them greet him back. That's what he loved about living in a neighborhood like this, there's peace and silence.

Picking up his pace, he starts going into a light run, staring straight ahead with his earphones tucked in, music blasting. Soon, his run picks up into a full on sprint. At that very moment, Donghae is placed into his own world. Blocking everything else around him, all he sees is his father standing in front of him, reaching his arms out to pick up his once small and fragile son. With the loss of his father, Donghae realized his priorities and reponsibilities in his life, which was to take care of his umma and hyung. 

Through all the trials and challenges that were placed in front of him, Donghae was able to conquer them all. How? Envisioning his father's smile, as well as his wise words guiding him through everything. His father was always there for him, and he was also the number one person Donghae could turn to for anything. It's been 5 years since the death of his father, and the pain is still present in his heart. But with the love and support of his mom and brother, along with the memory of his father burned in his heart, Donghae continues to strive and fight with all he's got.

Finally coming back to reality, he stops dead in his tracks when he comes across an old and forgotten grassy path, leading down to the sandy beach where he and his family would go on a weekly basis. Removing his shoes and socks, he follows the path through the tall grass when finally he feels the sand softly beneath his feet. It's hot, causing him to get even hotter. Removing the sweatshirt and sweatpants, Donghae quickly sprints towards the water, diving in without a second thought.

Coming back to the surface for a quick breath of air, he dunks back into the water to search what's beneath. Colorful corals, sea flowers, and fishes swim livingly around him, instantly making him happier. Always fond of the ocean, Donghae took a special interest in the marine life, while his brother just usually stayed on the sand alongside their mother.

Hours and hours go by, with Donghae just playing and swimming with the fishes, making some new friends.Finally deciding it was time to head on back to shore, he reaches the water's edge in a matter of minutes. Shaking his head side to side like a dog would, he could clearly hear his mother's laughter, and see the way his brother would look for coverage from the flying droplets of water falling from Donghae's head. He could feel the way his mother and father would look at each other so lovingly, the way they would hold their sons in a warm embrace. Hating this feeling of longing, he quickly shakes the thought out of his mind, and sits in the sand waiting to dry off.

Unconciously he plays with the wooden cross necklace and golden locket given to him by his brother. Looking down at the locket, he questions whether he should look at what's inside. Having nothing else to lose, he takes the necklace off and examines the contents. On the left side of the locket holds a picture of Donghae and Donghwa when they were little boys. On the right, holds a copy of his parent's wedding picture. The smile on all four of their faces have disappeared the day his father left his world, yet there was always a sense of a presence around the family. Almost as if his father was still with him.

Deciding to take one last dip before heading home, he swims out as far as his body could allow him. Considering the fact that he just got through sprinting all over town, it's not that far of a distance. Basically just wading in the water for a few mintues, he dips his body under and opens his eyes, to see something staring him right in the face. It was a fish. Body covered with a magnificent shade of an almost navy blue with black stripes going up and down its body, it was just swimming around him, playfully yet almost in a protective manner. Swimming back to shore, he turned and bid the fish a final farewell.

Putting on the rest of his clothes he runs back home, and quickly enters the shower. Feeling the need to relax for awhile, he just stands under the shower head, feeling the water pound on his skin. Then, he remembers the look in that fish's eye, and only remembers seeing that look one time before. The day he and his mother left for the beach, as he was saying goodbye to his dad. Then, another realization comes to play. Blue and black are Donghae's favorite colors, as was his father's. One last memory makes Donghae confirm his thoughts.

When they were just relaxing at home, Donghae and his father were sitting in the living room watching a show on tropical fishes. Then, out of nowhere, his dad looked at him and said,

"Son, when I pass away, I want to become a fish. And hoping that God will grant me my last wish, I would want to become a black and blue fish. Shall that wish come true, remember, when you're swimming down at that beach and see a black and blue fish, don't be afraid. Play with it, and love it with all your heart. Because for all we know right now on this day, that fish my son, might be me watching over our family."

His father's words replaying in his mind over and over, Donghae lays in his bed on the edge of sleep. Looking out of his window, he sees the ocean water, glistening and shining under the hot afternoon sun. Before drifting off to dream land, he says out loud,

"I had fun today, dad. Next week how about I bring Umma and Hyung down so that way we can all play at the beach like old times. Sound like fun? I love you dad, I miss you everyday. Promise to wait for us."

And just as he's about to enter dream land, he hears a voice reply to him.

"I promise."