Twelve - The Fight

Baby, Don't Cry

 

 

 

He couldn't get any happier, could he?

It's only been ten days but Jongin felt that Kyungsoo and he were making progress. Sure, they still haven't held hands and they were not as showy in public as the disgustingly cute couple currently making googly eyes with each other in their dorm's sofa. But Kyungsoo more than makes up for it when they're alone. The thing he does with his... Jongin can feel himself blush and the realization made him blush even more.

Distracting himself from his wayward thoughts, he decided to interrupt his friends cause one more cheesy love declaration from Sehun and he thinks he's gonna puke.

"Guys, there's a reason why this was called our dorm. Don't you have someplace else to do that...? Whatever you're doing?"

"It's called poetry, Jongin-ah. But you will never appreciate it since you're uncivilized."

"Poetry? I thought you were just grunting random noises. And Luhan, you appreciate this? I expected better from you." Jongin said accusingly and crossed his arms in disapproval.

Luhan laughed. "Of course, silly. When I promised to love Sehun it came with the unspoken promise to accept everything he is. Uh, quirks and all."

Sehun looked suspiciously at Luhan, sure that his boyfriend meant something by that remark. "So you're saying that you're just putting up with me?"

"No. I'm saying I love you forever." Luhan then pulled Sehun and cuddled him.

"Sheesh, I'm gonna be sick." Jongin gagged.

"Food's ready!" Kyungsoo called out from the kitchen. Sehun stood up and pulled Luhan to his feet so they can go together.

"Ah, that answers my question as to why you two are here." Jongin said.

"Kyungsoo invited us. He said he wantd to get together this weekend. Didn't he tell you?" Luhan explained.

"He told me we're doing something special, he didn't tell me that 'we' meant all of us." Jongin muttered.

Sehun and Luhan disappeared towards the kitchen and Kyungsoo came out looking around the dorm. "Chanyeol's not here yet?"

"No. Who else did you invite?" Jongin said with a pout.

"I tried to call Yixing and Joonmyeon-hyung but they already had plans."

"Lucky Yixing, then. And luckier Ahjussi." Jongin said sounding disgruntled.

"Stop sulking. Don't you want to spend time with our friends?" kyungsoo went close and chucked his chin. "You're such a kid."

Jongin's mood easily lifted with that.

"Come on, now." Kyungsoo walked towards the kitchen followed by Jongin but there was a knock on the door.

"Go ahead. Maybe it's Chanyeol. I'll just bring him there. Make sure Sehun hasn't eaten everything yet."

Jongin opened the door expecting their tall friend but it was just a mailman delivering a first class letter addressed to him. He opened it and read the content slowly.

He was chosen as the school representative to the popular talent company auditions. He remembered submitting a dance video together with Yixing and Sehun. He already forgot about it, thinking that he didn't make it. Now he didn't know if he should be happy about the news or not. If he gets accepted that will literally open doors for him. It's what every aspiring dancer dreams of. But on the other hand, the training will be in Japan and would last at least two years.

His relationship with Kyungsoo was by no means stable and he'll turn out to be another person who'll leave him behind. Decision made, Jongin crumpled the letter and threw it in the trash. Being with the short guy's a thousand times more important.

 

 

"I think a few more notes inserted here will do it. And after the lyrics, we're done." Joonmyeon said. He and Kyungsoo were in the piano room again and both are determined to finish the song today. They had to, tomorrow's the deadline.

"I officially have a headache." Kyungsoo complained. His head buried in his hands. Even wearing his thinking cap's not helping.

"I'm sorry. We could have finished this sooner but I was... busy." Joonmyeon reddened.

Kyungsoo laughed at his hyung. "I understand hyung. Stop apologizing."

"Yeah, but I feel guilty. Yixing has been dragging me everywhere and I could've said no at least a couple of times."

"Could you have said no?" Kyungsoo asked with a raised brow.

"Well, no. But I could've tried." They both laughed at that.

Returning to the task at hand, Kyungsoo read the music sheet for the millionth time. There was just something missing.

Joonmyeon noticed the frown on Kyungsoo's face. "You know, for me, your song is not really telling a story. It's actually speaking to the listener. It's reassuring and promising. But it doesn't exactly say what. Maybe that's what's missing. What exactly are you promising?"

Forever. That's what he would want. Someone to give him forever.

He remembered Jongin's words.

I never left.

I'll never leave you.

Kyungsoo grabbed a pen and wrote on the sheets. Maybe, just maybe he found the right words to the song.

 

 

Kyungsoo felt good. He felt he accomplished something great today. He was hugging his binder, excited. Inside was the finished song for his final thesis.

"Thanks, hyung. Finally done!"

"You’re welcome. It was fun to watch you pore over the lyrics. It was like you were possessed." Joonmyeon joked.

"I just wanted to write it all down cause i might lose the momentum."

Just then Yixing arrived and immediately went to Joonyeon's side. "Hey, there."

"Hey, yourself." Jooyeon answered with a smile.

"Kyungsoo-ssi. Any news about Jongin's audition?" Yixing greeted him with a nod. "Did he make it?"

"Audition?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Yeah, the one with YG. It's today. We Dance students submitted demo videos about three months ago. They just announced last week that Jongin and a couple of others made the cut for the finals."

Kyungsoo didn't know what to say. It's the first time he heard about this.

"Well, I guess he went alone. I haven't seen him all day." Kyungsoo answered.

"Oh, maybe he did. Just tell him to call me once he gets home. I want to know what happened." Yixing said.

After saying their goodbyes, Joonmyeon left with Yixing and Kyungsoo went home alone. He was still confused on why Jongin didn't tell him about the auditions. I hope he gets in.

But Kyungsoo was surprised to see the younger boy sitting on the sofa and watching TV when he arrived home.

"What are you doing here?"

"I live here." Jongin smiled and stood up to greet Kyungsoo properly with a kiss. But Kyungsoo stopped him.

"Yes, but why are you here? Right now. Don't you have the auditions to go to?"

"How did you know about that?" Jongin wore a guarded expression.

"Yixing told me. I wouldn't have known if he didn't. Why didn't you tell me?"

"It was nothing important anyway."

"Nothing important?! It's the chance to show the world how great you are!" Kyungsoo couldn't believe what he was hearing from Jongin.

"I don't want it." He said stubbornly.

Kyungsoo looked at the wall clock. "You still have time if you hurry up. Get your bag, let's go.”

"I don't want to go, princess. It's not a big deal. I don't want to train in that company anyway."

"Are you crazy? People are dying to have this chance and you'll just throw it away?" Kyungsoo grabbed Jongin's arm and tried to drag him out the door but Jongin was resisting.

"Kyungsoo-ah, I said I don't want to."

The older boy stopped pulling and turned to look at Jongin's serious expression.

"But why?" Kyungsoo asked genuinely confused. "Why won't you go?"

"Because the training is at least two years and it's not a bus ride away. It's in Japan. I don't want to go. I won't go." Jongin moved closer to Kyungsoo. "I don't want to be away from you."

Kyungsoo's mind was reeling. His heart is rejecting the image of Jongin walking away from him. But what could he do?

"Hey." Jongin held on to Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"It doesn't matter. This is important. We have to hurry up." Kyungsoo stepped backwards, dislodging Jongin's hand.

"Didn't you hear me? I told you I won't go."

"You're not going because of me. How is that even a reason?" Kyungsoo can feel his heart closing itself once more. He can't help it.

"It's reason enough for me. Let it go."

"You're letting go of this big chance for something as flimsy as that?"

Jongin looked hard at him. "It isn't flimsy."

"What isn't? This?" Kyungsoo pointed at both of them. "Don't get too attached to something that we're not even sure will work.”

"This something means more to me than that stupid audition. This is you and me. How could I not get attached?"

"Well, you shouldn't have. It's not too soon to stop, Jongin-ah."

"Stop? I can't believe you said that." Jongin was shaking his head. "How can you easily tell me to go and leave you?"

"Listen, this is your future we're talking about here. Not whatever relationship we have." All Kyungsoo could think of was that Jongin needed to go to that audition. Because thinking of anything else will hurt.

"I never did think much of where I'll be in the future but every time I would imagine it I'd see us together and that's enough for me. All I needed was your trust and I promised myself I could make it work." Jongin turned away from Kyungsoo. "Did you even once think of a future with me?"

Had he? Kyungsoo thought. But he can't remember a time that he did. Because thinking of their future or any future means making him trust too much on the present. And he's not ready yet.

"You are so afraid of getting hurt that you'd rather hurt me." Kyungsoo heard the disappointment and accusation in Jongin's voice.

"I told you you'd regret this." He whispered. He didn't want to hurt anybody especially Jongin. But his stupid heart won't listen.

"I don't, princess. I don't regret anything at all. But maybe you do." Jongin walked away and disappeared to his room.

Later that night as Kyungsoo was lying in bed, he heard the front door open and close. And he knew as he closed his eyes against the threatening tears that he may have lost not only his boyfriend but also his best non-friend.