SOME LYRICS REFERENCE

I’M IN AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE WITH DONGHAE AND I AM JONGHYUN’S SISTER AND HIMCHAN LOVES ME AND TOP IS A VAMPIRE WHO WANTS MY SWEET NECTAR BLOOD AND REN IS PART OF A GANG THAT KIDNAPS ME BECAUSE HE WANTS TO KEEP ME AS HIS WOMAN SLAVE AND ON TOP OF IT ALL I A

“Mary Sue?! What are you doing in here?”

 

Jonghyun stood there staring at Donghae, mouth gaping, as he tried to come up with some sort of explanation as to why his sister would be in the men’s bathroom.

 

“It’s a long story,” he stalled, mind whirring through possible explanations. He bumped his head and got confused wandering into the bathroom. There was a crazy line and he just had to go now. He was avoiding people and thought they’d be less likely to find him in here.

 

But there was something so disarming about Donghae’s expression, a mixture of confusion and concern, and damnit, Jonghyun was just so tired of lying to the people he loved, and on some level he felt like Donghae deserved the truth. So he said, “I’m not Mary Sue.”

 

Donghae only seemed to become even more confused at the admission, so he elaborated.

 

“I’m Jonghyun.”

 

The other shook his head, eyebrows scrunched together in concern. “Mary Sue, I think you’re confused. Did you hit your hea—WOAH!” Donghae jumped back, eyes wide, as Jonghyun slid the long wig off of his head.

 

Jonghyun cleared his throat sheepishly. “So,” he said. “It’s a really, really… long story.”

 

Donghae stepped back, gripping the edge of the counter for support. “Okay…” he acknowledged, nodding slowly, preparing himself for the explanation.

 

Jonghyun took a deep breath, wondering where he should even begin. “It all started when Mary Sue was engaged to you,” he said. “And Himchan blackmailed her into going out with him as payment for ruining his priceless leather jacket. She couldn’t be in two places at once, so I pretended to be her, because we’re identical twins, and if somebody just put a long wig on me, nobody would be able to tell the difference between us.” He paused to let Donghae take in that bit of information first, before emphasizing. “Nobody.”

 

He waited for Donghae to nod in tentative understanding before continuing.

 

“So I was actually the one you were dating most of the time,” Jonghyun admitted. “And then after I knocked Himchan down at Homecoming, I didn’t really need to be Mary Sue anymore. But with the vampire apocalypse going on, I was just so stressed out, like I didn’t know who I was anymore. So when I put the wig on again in Mary Sue’s bedroom, the vampires captured me thinking I was her. And I guess my mom saw me too, and now my parents think I’m a transvestite and they’re trying to make me happy by accepting me the way that I am,” he explained.

 

Donghae raised his eyebrows, taking everything in.

 

“Except I’m not really a transvestite,” he added. “I’m just gay.”

 

Donghae let out a long controlled breath through his nose, holding his hand over his mouth as he let everything register. “So, your parents are trying to accept you for who you are,” he reiterated. “But you aren’t what they’re trying to accept.”

 

Jonghyun nodded. “And Key is upset with me for it,” he said. “I just feel like if I try to please everybody, I’ll be split in two.”

 

The low soft chuckle that came from Donghae startled Jonghyun a little. “I definitely know what that feels like,” he said, giving Jonghyun a warm smile. “You want to know what I think?”

 

Of course Jonghyun wanted to know what he thought. Every time he ran into Donghae by chance, things just suddenly seemed to make sense to him because of something the other said. He nodded eagerly.

 

“Your parents are trying really hard for you,” Donghae said, leaning against the counter. “It sounds like they really love you. And they’ll keep loving you, even after you tell them the truth.” He chuckled again. “I mean, they’re already coming to terms with the possibility of you being a transvestite, it can’t be much different if they know you’re gay.”

 

And there was something especially comforting about hearing Donghae say those words, even though he’d heard them from his other friends before.

 

“So, be who you are,” he concluded. “Exactly who you are, and nothing more or less. Everyone else will accept you just fine,” he said. “And if they don’t, then at least you haven’t lost yourself to them.”

 

This pep talk was just the push Jonghyun needed. “You know what?” he said, getting fired up. “You’re right. I am who I am!”

 

Donghae smiled and nodded in approval as Jonghyun continued.

 

“I am Jonghyun! I am not a transvestite!” He tossed the long wig into the corner of the bathroom. “I’m just gay!” He kicked off his heels to join the wig in the corner and squared his shoulders. “And I’m going to get my boyfriend back.”

 

And he marched out the door, past Donghae’s pleased grin, and into the chaos of the club.

 

 

After looking all over the club, you finally found who you were looking for out in the back alleyway.

 

“G-Dragon!” you said, rushing out the door, startling Zelo. You looked around at the three who were standing out there in the dark. “What are you guys doing out here?” you asked.

 

“Baby-face here is avoiding somebody,” Zico informed you.

 

Zelo scrunched up his nose and indignantly muttered, “Don’t call me that.”

 

You looked to Zelo, who was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. “Who are you avoiding?”

 

“Nobody,” he muttered, looking at the ground.

 

Zico scoffed. “Then why are you avoiding him?”

 

“He’s just somebody that I used to know,” Zelo huffed in annoyance.

 

“You’re just bitter because you two drifted after he started going to that ritzy school,” Zico teased, nudging his shoulder.

 

“No I’m not,” the younger argued, setting his jaw in a pout. “But he didn’t have to cut me off.”

 

You shook off the confusing pop culture references and focused on the real reason you were out here. “G-Dragon,” you said. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Ay, your choice,” he remarked, opening his arms invitingly. “Drop it on me.”

 

“You still love CL, right?”

 

He bit his lip in hesitation before nodding slightly. “Yeah.”

 

“And if you had the chance to get back together, you would do it, right?”

 

G-Dragon looked down a little. “Yeah.”

 

“If you could say anything to CL right now, what would it be?”

 

He sighed and ran his palms over his forehead. “You’re my heartbreaker,” he remarked.

 

“Heartbreaker?” you clarified.

 

“H. E. A. R. T. Breaker,” he confirmed. “And my heart be breakin’, breakin’ all apart, remakin’.”

 

GD looked really sad to you in this moment.

 

“How can I recover it all?” he said.

 

 

Chanyeol lumbered his way back to the bar and away from the nonsense he’d witnessed on the dance floor, when—

 

“Damnit, how did you get here so fast?” he asked Baekhyun, who was eyeing the couple sitting at the counter. He rolled his eyes, letting out a noise of frustration as he was ignored, and went to go sit on the other side of the bar. He managed to catch a glimpse of Baekhyun knocking Sungmin’s elbow, causing him to spill his drink all over Sunny, and then what appeared to be Baekhyun accusing Sungmin of being a horrible person in some way and comforting Sunny with his arm around her shoulders.

 

Chanyeol huffed and sat his chin on his open palm. Baekhyun sure was pathetic, trying to prove to Sunny that he was better than her boyfriend. What a way to deal with his relationships.

 

 

When Jonghyun found Key on the dance floor, he found him pressed up against some guy whose face he couldn’t see. This was it, he thought. This was the time to prove himself.

 

He grabbed the guy by the shoulder to spin him around, and punched him in the face, sending him sprawling to the floor.

 

It was about two seconds later that he realized the person he just punched was Kai, and he couldn’t tell whether he felt guilty or proud at this revelation.

 

“What the hell?” Kai was holding his jaw with a look of incredulity painted across his face, and when he looked up and caught sight of Jonghyun standing over him, he could barely smirk at him without it causing him pain.

 

Key, meanwhile, was looking rather stunned. “What are you doing?” he demanded.

 

“This man is my boyfriend,” Jonghyun said loudly to Kai (and anyone else who could hear), pointing to Key. “And I would appreciate it if you step off.”

 

Then he turned to Key, who raised his eyebrows at him. “I’m sorry,” he said finally. “I shouldn’t have tried to hide our relationship. There’s no shame in dating you, and in fact I’ve never been happier. And I’m not a transvestite!” he exclaimed, holding his arms up triumphantly. “I’m just gay!”

 

“So you told Mary Sue?” Key asked, crossing his arms.

 

Jonghyun’s arms fell back to his sides. “Well, no,” he admitted. “But Key, she wouldn’t understand, I’m telling you.”

 

Key huffed in exasperation and rolled his eyes. “Make her understand! You haven’t even really tried!”

 

“Key, I’m serious, she doesn’t get it—“

 

“Look,” Key said shortly. “Mary Sue is borderline mental, I know. But she needs to know about her twin brother’s life, especially something like this! Because frankly it would make our lives so much easier if she didn’t try to set us up with our friends!” he finished quickly.

 

“I know that,” Jonghyun argued. “But I really don’t think—“

 

“If you won’t tell her, then I will.”

 

Jonghyun gaped at him. “What?”

 

“If you won’t tell Mary Sue that we’re dating,” Key said slowly and deliberately, “then I will.”

 

Jonghyun could only stand there and stare at him.

 

Key took that as his answer. Without another word, he stalked off, brushing past Jonghyun’s shoulder, presumably off to find Mary Sue.

 

 

You were on your way to the bathroom when Key approached you, and you momentarily forgot that you weren’t talking to him because he hated you.

 

“Oh, hi Key—“

 

“Jonghyun’s gay.”

 

You didn’t think you understood him. “What?”

 

“Your brother is gay,” he reiterated.

 

“What do you mean?” you asked, completely clueless.

 

“I mean,” he said slowly, “that your brother likes men. He’s gay, Mary Sue.”

 

You weren’t really following what he was trying to say here. “Well sure,” you said. “I mean, Jonghyun likes everyone. He’s always been friendly and outgoing.”

 

“No, Mary Sue.” Key placed his hands firmly on your shoulders as if he could aim his words better into your head. “Jonghyun and I? We’re dating. Because he’s gay and I’m gay and we love each other.”

 

You furrowed your eyebrows at him a little, calculating his words.

 

“Could I spell it out any more?” he said.

 

Then you burst out laughing.

 

“Is something funny?” he demanded.

 

You could only speak between giggles. “Oh Key,” you laughed. “You’re so funny!”

 

“I don’t know why I’m funny.”

 

“Guys can’t love each other!” you exclaimed gleefully.

 

“Are you serious?” He raised his eyebrows. “Mary Sue, stop laughing.”

 

“It’s just…” You wiped a tear and held your stomach, which was hurting from laughing so much. “The notion is so absurd and unheard of!”

 

Key was speechless as he let his arms fall from your shoulders.

 

“You’re such a jokester, Key!” you giggled, slapping him on the arm and walking past him with a cheerful sigh.

 

He stood there, unable to move and staring straight ahead for the next minute and a half.

 

 

“You look like death,” Chanyeol commented as Kai slumped onto the stool next to him, a hand clamped to his jaw.

 

“I just got punched in the face,” he said, voice laced with disbelief. “Jonghyun punched me in the face.”

 

“Well,” Chanyeol sighed, looking him over. “You probably deserved it.”

 

“Yeah,” Kai muttered. “But it still ing hurts.” He rubbed at the quickly forming bruise. “Damn, why did Lay have to train him so well?”

 

 

You were somewhat pleased to find that CL had still locked herself in the bathroom, her telltale sniffling sobs floating from the last stall. You tentatively walked up to the stall and tapped on the door.

 

“CL?”

 

“Go away,” she said.

 

“CL, I…I talked to G-Dragon a little bit for you,” you offered. “He wanted to tell you something.”

 

“Oh yeah?” She sniffled. “Well give him this message for me: I hate you.”

 

“Well maybe you should listen to—“

 

“I’m fine living without you,” she muttered, unwilling to let you finish.

 

That couldn’t be how she really felt about him. After all, CL was a diva, and if there was anything you knew about divas, they refused to admit their true feelings when they were hurt.

 

“Well… I’ll tell him that, but you also have to listen to this message,” you said.

 

She was silent, so you pressed forward.

 

“He said…” You tried to remember how he said it. “You’re his… heartbreaker? And his heart is breaking and remaking and…” You shook your head. This just sounded confusing. “Okay so I didn’t really understand him all that well, but I got the gist of it. Basically he’s heartbroken over you, and he wants to make it better.”

 

There was no answer, and you hovered there for a few moments before realizing that there wouldn’t be an answer no matter how long you waited there, so you made your way out.

 

 

Jonghyun was at a table along the wall with Amber, who was helping him remove as much of his makeup as she could, when Key slumped down into a chair beside him, looking a little bit shell shocked with his disbelieving expression.

 

“Woah there,” Amber remarked. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

 

“Did it go okay?”

 

Key turned his stunned gaze to Jonghyun. “I…” He took a deep breath. “Am so sorry.”

 

The other two gaped at him.

 

“Did Key just say he’s sorry??” Amber stared wide-eyed between the two of them.

 

“For what?” Jonghyun laid a hand on Key’s.

 

Key shook his head, staring straight ahead. “You were right,” he said.

 

“Holy crap Jonghyun, you broke him.”

 

“About what?”

 

“She just…” Key’s mouth hung open. “She didn’t get it.” He ran a hand over his face. “No matter how I explained it to her, she just did not understand.”

 

Jonghyun rubbed his shoulder comfortingly. “It’s okay,” he murmured. “You tried.”

 

Key laid his head down on the table and sighed.

 

 

“Mary Sue!” You were greeted as you went out to the alley again. “Now it’s a party,” Seyong chuckled.

 

“Dude, you don’t even have a real reason to be out here,” Zico said, shoving the redhead’s shoulder. “Not like you got kicked out because of a fight or anything,” he muttered, then under his breath, “Pansy.”

 

“Maybe I just wanted to be around my brothers,” the other suggested, arms spread.

 

“Because you have no other friends,” Zico mumbled again.

 

You ignored the ensuing argument between the two and found GD again, crouched down by the wall.

 

“Hey, G-Dragon?”

 

He lifted his shoulders in acknowledgement and you sat down beside him.

 

“I talked to CL,” you began.

 

GD made no response, but you could tell he was listening.

 

“She wanted me to tell you…” You paused. There was no way you could tell G-Dragon what she had said. It would only hurt him, and you knew she didn’t mean what she said. What kind of matchmaker would you be if you went around telling the people that you were trying to get back together they hated each other?

 

You cleared your throat and began again. “She wanted me to tell you that what you said before… wasn’t enough to convince her how serious you are about her. So…Is there anything else you want to say?” Maybe she just needed to hear the right thing.

 

“My beautiful hangover,” he murmured.

 

You furrowed your eyebrows. “Come again?”

 

“My beautiful girl,” he said. “One-two-three-to the fo’ sho no one like you. There ain’t nobody can do them things you do, so true.”

 

“Okay, so to recap,” you cut in. “You think she’s beautiful and there’s no one like her or who can do the things she does?”

 

“So amazing, all the above,” he confirmed. “In a way you take you show love. You define us, and I just—“

 

“Wait,” you commanded, holding your hands up and nodding your head, trying to take in the information. You thought for a beat. “Okay,” you said, getting up to dash into the club again, muttering his words under your breath so you wouldn’t forget.

 

 

“Oh my god!” Krystal slammed her hands on the table, effectively startling Key into sitting up straight with a short yell.

 

“What is it, Krystal?” Amber asked, her eyebrows raised.

 

“This is serious,” the gossip girl replied as she slyly sat down in the open seat, the expression revealing a scandalous grin that suggested something far less serious than what she was about to spill. “I heard those guys that Mary Sue was hanging around—the one that punched out Himchan?—they’re in a gang!” Her voice was an excited hiss.

 

Jonghyun’s heart skipped a beat. “What?” How could Mary Sue be hanging around with a gang? Didn’t she understand how dangerous that was??

 

“I know!” Krystal squealed, clasping her hands in front of her face and then flattening them on the table again. “We have to tell someone!”

 

“I dunno if we should go spreading that around,” Amber reasoned.

 

“Of course, I know.” Krystal waved off the arguments. “I meant someone who could help. Like maybe that one—“

 

“Chanyeol,” Jonghyun cut her off. “He deserves to know what’s been happening with Mary Sue,” he said. “I have some things I’ve found out tonight too about the people Mary Sue has been hanging around with,” he said.

 

Krystal’s eyes lit up a little. “Really? What did you hear?”

 

Jonghyun stood up. “I’m going to go tell Chanyeol what you and I heard,” he said. “Thanks, Krystal—“

 

“I’m coming with you.” She stood up as well. “I mean, what if you forget something?”

 

He supposed that might have made sense if you really didn’t think about it, and nodded his agreement.

 

 

“,” Kai muttered under his breath. Chanyeol glanced at him to see him hunching over the bar, attempting to cover the side of his face with his shirt collar. “I hope he’s coming to talk to you, and not me,” he said.

 

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow and looked in the other direction just in time to see Jonghyun and Krystal standing right there.

 

“Hey Chanyeol!” she squealed in delight. “You’ll never guess what we heard about Mary Sue.”

 

He wasn’t sure he liked the weird sadistic glint in her eye.

 

Thankfully, Jonghyun cut in. “We thought you should know about the things we’ve been hearing,” he said gently.

 

Chanyeol swallowed and nodded slowly. “Alright,” he agreed. “Let’s hear it.”

 

“She’s been hanging around a gang,” Krystal blurted before anything else. “Those guys who were giving Himchan trouble are a part of it.”

 

“And speaking of Himchan,” Jonghyun cut in. “Apparently Mary Sue said she’d be his date tonight.”

 

“I heard she’s also two timing Himchan with that gang member who punched him out, too.”

 

“Oh, and Nichkhun is just using her for his own benefit,” Jonghyun added. “And something seems to be going on between her and Minho, but I have no idea what yet.”

 

Chanyeol waited a few seconds after they were finished, staring back and forth between them. He had no idea what to make of all this information. His stunned silence continued until Jonghyun and Krystal shared a nervous glance.

 

“We just thought you should know,” Krystal said, placing a hand on Chanyeol’s forearm before they both scurried off to let him register everything.

 

He spent maybe two minutes just staring off in the distance before Kai spoke up.

 

“You know,” he said. “If there was ever a time to go assert one’s masculinity, or whatever it is you’re trying to do.” He clapped a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder, knocking him out of his blank-faced reverie. “Maybe go do it before she tacks on a few more boyfriends to her list,” he advised.

 

 

“CL, G-Dragon thinks you’re beautiful and there’s nobody else like you and you do things other people can’t and you’re amazing and all of the above…” The long stream of loud words had exploded from your mouth the moment you had barged into that bathroom door, and now you were at the handicap stall, leaning against the door and trying to remember the words you (or rather, G-Dragon) wanted to say. “You define us and…something about a hangover…” You sheepishly grimaced at the door. “CL? Are you there?”

 

“I don’t care,” you heard her voice say.

 

You wondered how long she intended to brood in here. “Not even a little bit?”

 

“I don’t ca-a-a-a-a-a-are!”

 

When you stalked back into the alleyway to have another go at interpreting GD’s words, there was one more addition to the posse.

 

“Eli?”

 

He waved at you enthusiastically.

 

“Are you avoiding someone too?” you asked.

 

“Nah,” he answered. “I just like this guy too much to not be around him.” He slung an arm around Zelo, who impatiently shoved him off.

 

“Get away from me, man,” the younger muttered.

 

“Come on, man,” Eli said, pouting at him. “Don’t deny our r squared pie.”

 

You blinked and whipped your attention away from the distractions to focus on your mission. “G-Dragon!” He barely acknowledged you as you sat down beside him. “So um…That last message was kind of confusing to understand, maybe…maybe we should take another shot at it?”

 

You stared at his contemplative face for a long while when finally he said softly, “It’s all about you, my butterfly.”

 

You were slightly bewildered at how comprehensible he was suddenly being.

 

“You don’t know how much I love you,” he continued. “You are the only one girl, one love, one life.”

 

He was silent for a few moments. “Is that all?” you asked.

 

GD smiled a little at you. “Yeah,” he answered. “That be all I say.” Then he let a grin overtake the meek smile. “You’re special to me,” he added. “Your turn.”

 

 

Chanyeol needed to get some air. He pushed his way outside into the cool night air, a stark contrast to the stuffy hot atmosphere inside the club. He noticed somebody sitting on the curb, and with a thoughtful sigh he sat down next to him.

 

“Hey,” he greeted him, and sighed again.

 

The stranger glanced at him with a questioning expression. “Hey there,” he said flatly.

 

Chanyeol sighed again. “I noticed you sitting alone out here,” he said, trying to strike up some sort of conversation to connect with this person on some level.

 

“Yeah,” he said. “Just getting some fresh air.” He regarded Chanyeol with a strange look. “That’s all.”

 

“Yeah,” Chanyeol said. “Me too.”

 

The stranger went back to ignoring Chanyeol. The latter heaved a deep sigh, disturbing the other’s silence.

 

The stranger rolled his eyes. “Are you okay?” he asked out of obligation.

 

“No,” Chanyeol answered pitifully.

 

The other guy huffed in vague irritation, and flatly asked, “What is wrong?”

 

Chanyeol pouted. “My girlfriend hasn’t talked to me in weeks and I keep hearing about her two-timing and three-timing and four-timing all these other guys.” He bowed his head and ran his hands through his hair. “I just don’t know what to believe anymore.”

 

The reluctant listener furrowed his eyebrows slightly. “Have you tried talking to her?”

 

Chanyeol frowned. “No,” he admitted. “She just stopped talking to me and being around me and started being around all these other guys instead.”

 

He cringed at the condescending tch! that was expelled from between the stranger’s teeth. “You’re listening to a bunch of rumors about your girlfriend, but you won’t try to find out the truth yourself?” He shook his head mirthfully. “Believe me when I say you shouldn’t believe everything you hear. Especially if it makes you doubt your significant other.” Then his expression became reassuring. “I’m sure she loves you,” he said with a tilt of his head.

 

“Wow,” Chanyeol murmured. “You sound like you’ve been through this kind of thing before.”

 

“Yeah, I suppose.” Chanyeol’s kindred spirit frowned thoughtfully. “There was a time I guess when I doubted my fiancé because I kept being told about what he was doing from other people. After I talked to him myself, I found out none of it was true, and we got past some things and…I’ve never been happier,” he sighed.

 

Chanyeol wished he could have that kind of wistful look in his eye, like everything was wonderful and nothing hurt. “What’s your fiancé’s name?” he asked sincerely.

 

The stranger glanced at him and then fixed his gaze ahead of them both. “Donghae.”

 

The name sparked something familiar in Chanyeol’s memory. “Donghae?”

 

“Yeah,” he said. “Why, have you two met or something?”

 

Chanyeol stared down at the concrete as he racked his brain. “I rescued him from some vampires,” he mumbled at his hands.

 

“Oh.” Donghae’s fiancé stared at the same spot Chanyeol was. “Thanks.”

 

 

It’s in the stairwell where Jonghyun overhears the voices of Minho and Fei, which he had sought out in hopes of somehow figuring out what was going on between Minho and Mary Sue because Krystal suggested, for the sake of Mary Sue’s safety of course, that they go around getting as much additional information as they could.

 

Jonghyun had no doubt Krystal was not only seeking information, but giving it freely, but he tried not to think about it and instead focused his full attention on the reverberating voices wafting through the open doorway.

 

“You’re cracking,” she , grin evident in her tone.

 

“Shut up,” he muttered, sounding tired and annoyed.

 

“Oh come on,” she chuckled. “You’ve been a disinterested block of ice ever since I’ve known you. You have to let me take some pleasure in seeing you like this.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

Her laugh insisted his attempts at remaining secretive were futile, and his following sigh gave him away.

 

“I don’t see why you should torment me about it,” he said lowly.

 

“I’m not tormenting you,” she said innocently. “I just think it’s hilarious how fickle you can be. You were cold to him, you know? And then as soon as he starts hanging around Mary Sue of all people, that’s when you feel threatened.”

 

Jonghyun’s ears perked at the mention of his sister, and he listened closer to the words that were being said.

 

“Wouldn’t you be?” Minho said softly, and Fei scoffed.

 

“Maybe if I actually liked the guy,” she said, and then added offhandedly, “And maybe if Mary Sue wasn’t completely oblivious to everything.”

 

There was a pause that seemed very telling.

 

“Wait, you do like him?” Another pause and she gasped. “Oh my god. And I just thought you missed the attention!”

 

“Wow, thanks,” he monotoned.

 

Jonghyun frowned and tried to think over the conversation. From what he could tell, Minho’s only connection to Mary Sue was through someone else.

 

As he stalked away from the stairwell back to the rest of the club, his eyebrows creased together as he wondered just who that could be.

 

 

“CL?”

 

You didn’t know why you kept coming back to this bathroom, but every time you did, you found her still holed up in the handicap stall, so your efforts certainly weren’t wasted. Maybe she stayed because she knew you would come back. Maybe she wanted to hear GD’s words because she really did want to get back together. Your matchmaker heart jumped with giddiness.

 

“Hey, CL, G-Dragon really does love you.”

 

“Oh yeah?” She sniffed sourly. “What convoluted message did he give you this time?”

 

“He said that it’s all about you,” you told her. “And you don’t know how much he loves you. You’re the only girl in his life, and his only love, and you’re really special to him.”

 

It was silent for a few minutes before you heard the soft slide and click of the lock on the door and it opened a crack, revealing a sliver of CL’s tear-and-makeup-stained face. “He really said that?” she sniffled.

 

You beamed and nodded. “Yeah,” you confirmed. “He called you his butterfly.”

 

The door closed again, and you were worried you’d said something wrong, but then you heard CL loudly blowing her nose before the stall door opened again and she stepped out, face slightly cleaner of the makeup streaks. “Where is he?”

 

 

It took a few minutes of searching the entire club for Chanyeol to spot the exact person he was looking for. They really needed to talk, and it was about time Chanyeol instigated this conversation. Before Himchan could get away, Chanyeol stole his attention with a, “Hey you!”

 

He probably could have been more creative than that.

 

Himchan regarded him with a disinterested expression. “Do I know you?” he asked.

 

“Yeah,” Chanyeol said. “Well, okay no you don’t.” Keep it together, Chanyeol. “I’m Mary Sue’s boyfriend,” he finally said. “Her only boyfriend.”

 

Himchan only broke into a chuckle, eyebrows raised in an expression that was almost sympathetic, but the kind of sympathy one has for somebody who falls off a bike and lands on a railing with their crotch. “Her boyfriend, huh?” He his lips and stepped closer to Chanyeol challengingly. “Then, why’d she say she would be my date for tonight?” he questioned rhetorically.

 

“Maybe she did!” Chanyeol argued. Really helping your case, way to go. “But I know deep down that I’m her true love. And it’s the kind of love that survives everything!” He was really getting worked up now. “Even a vampire apocalypse, which means it can definitely survive you coming in between it.”

 

“Look,” that prick cut Chanyeol off with an unamused hand. “As entertainingly delusional as this conversation is, I’m trying to find Mary Sue. I need to make sure she’s not in any kind of trouble with that gang she’s been hanging around.”

 

“No!”

 

Himchan looked at him as if he were insane.

 

“She’s my girlfriend!” Chanyeol argued. “I’ll be the one to save her from the gang, not you!” He jerked a thumb to his puffed out chest.

 

“Well, you’ve been doing a bang up job protecting her from them so far,” Himchan accused. “You’ll see, when I save Mary Sue, she’ll realize my love for her, and then I’ll be her boyfriend again, and you’ll be out of the picture.”

 

“No, because I’ll save Mary Sue!” Chanyeol persisted. “And when I do, she’ll see that I’m still her knight in shining armor, and we’ll live happily ever after without you!”

 

“Yeah, we’ll see!”

 

“We will!”

 

“Yeah!”

 

“Alright!”

 

“Fine!”

 

They stared each other down, nostrils flaring, before both of them abruptly separated and went opposite directions to go find Mary Sue. He would see. They would all see. Chanyeol was going to be the one to win her in the end. He had to find her and talk to her, clear up everything they had between them so they could finally be together again.

 

But not before he confronted Nichkhun.

 

 

The alleyway was reverently quiet when you and CL walked outside, the metal door clanging loudly as it closed. Almost immediately, CL’s and G-Dragon’s eyes locked together, and they stood there staring at each other for a few moments before you gave her a little nudge and she stepped forward, and so did he. And they kept walking forward until they finally embraced, and your matchmaker heart swelled in your chest and you beamed at the sight, and then proceeded to listen in on their softly spoken conversation. Ah, young love.

 

“You punched Himchan because you saw him talking to me?”

 

“Yeah, I saw him.”

 

“Why did you leave me if you still had feelings for me, stupid?”

 

“I told you, I don’t wanna hurt you.”

 

“You did the wrong thing, you know that?”

 

“Why?”

 

“Cutting me out of your life like that and disappearing? That’s what hurt me. You should’ve just told me what was going on!”

 

“Sure, you’re right. I’m sorry.”

 

Eventually you looked around and finally realized that the last member of the gang was present. It had been a while since you had gotten the chance to talk to Ren and clear things up, so you approached him and leaned against the brick wall beside him. You were feeling pretty good about your communication skills tonight.

 

“So,” you began.

 

He raised an eyebrow but otherwise ignored you.

 

You took a deep breath. “My name is Mary Sue,” you said. “I like strawberry ice cream.”

 

Ren sighed heavily like he was giving up. “Minki,” he finally said. “People call me Ren. And pistachio is my favorite ice cream flavor.”

 

You grinned widely and continued. “I get really upset if my friends turn against me,” you said. “But I respect their boundaries because sometimes people just need a break.”

 

His lips formed a thoughtful pout. “I hate when people upset the control I have over them and others, and also aspects of my life.” He took a deep breath. “But I guess I have to respect their decisions and actions. Because I can’t control everyone, I’ve found.”

 

“Why did you join the gang?” you asked him. You studied his face as he thought, and it was a few moments before he answered.

 

“I was tired,” he said. “Tired of being humiliated because people thought I was a girl. I wanted to prove I was colder and tougher and more powerful than everyone, so I joined the ranks and intimidated and manipulated my way to a high position.” He chewed on the inside of his mouth. “That’s why I wanted to prove to you the same thing,” he said. “By making you my woman slave.”

 

You stared up at the sky as you thought it over. “It all makes sense,” you said. “I understand now.”

 

He raised his eyebrows at you. “You do?”

 

“Yeah.” You grinned at him. “Hey, Ren, since we’re all here, do you think we might have time for another session or two? I think tonight is a night for healing and fixing relationships.”

 

His expression was bewildered, but you only grinned wider.

 

 

Amber, Key and Krystal were at their table when Jonghyun ambled over, his bare feet beginning to feel sticky from the dirty club floor.

 

“Did you figure anything out?” Amber asked him as he sat down.

 

He leaned forward to rest his chin on his hand. “Well, Minho’s beef with Mary Sue is he feels threatened by her because I guess she keeps getting the attention of some guy.”

 

“Nichkhun,” Key supplied.

 

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows. “Did you hear something about him?”

 

“No,” Key huffed. “That was just obvious? I mean I haven’t talked to the guy much, but I know what goes on in this school,” he explained. “More exclusively, I can ing tell when a guy is pining after another guy, and Minho is totally after Nichkhun.”

 

“Do you think Nichkhun likes Minho too?” Krystal asked with a glint in her eye.

 

Key just shrugged. “No idea,” he replied unhelpfully. “That guy’s pretty hard to read though, honestly. I don’t trust him.”

 

“Key, you don’t know him,” Amber argued.

 

“That’s exactly why I don’t trust him!” Key held a bottled water up to his lips as he explained. “Most people I can figure out just by watching them for ten seconds, but not him. He puts up walls, I’m telling you.” He took a quick swig between his sentences. “Never trust a guy who puts up walls. I’m pretty sure he’s hiding something.”

 

“What do you think he’s using Mary Sue for?” Jonghyun wondered aloud, voice laced with concern.

 

“No idea,” Key said again. “Who knows what his motives are?”

 

“Speaking of Mary Sue, where has she been all night?” Amber glanced around the club. “I haven’t seen her since she gave Key an aneurism earlier.”

 

“Oh, I heard she was out in the alleyway with those guys from that gang,” Krystal said flippantly. “And a bunch of other guys too.” She gasped, her eyes lighting up excitedly. “Do you think all of them are in that gang?”

 

The other three stared at her with mixing degrees of incredulity.

 

“Why the wouldn’t you mention something like that before?” Key demanded.

 

“We have to tell Chanyeol,” Jonghyun urged, and they all stood to find Mary Sue’s boyfriend.

 

 

“Hey you!” Chanyeol should really come up with more original ways to get people’s attention.

 

“Hey, Chanyeol,” Nichkhun greeted back with a smile. A smile full of deception, no doubt! “Damn, you look really good tonight. But you’ve probably heard that from just about everyone by now.”

 

“I”—Chanyeol stopped, registering the compliment with a tilt of his head and a bashful smile. “Really? I mean”—Damnit Chanyeol, don’t succumb to his charms! Nichkhun really knew how to disarm a person. “We need to talk,” he said firmly. Then, when Nichkhun raised his eyebrows inquisitively, he elaborated. “About Mary Sue.”

 

The Don Juan of Mordney High seemed to suddenly understand, nodding in acknowledgement. “I see,” he said.

 

“You’ve been dating her behind my back,” Chanyeol accused.

 

“Well”—

 

“You s her away from me with your impossible charm.”

 

Nichkhun chuckled and shook his head.

 

“And it turns out you’ve just been using her the entire time”—

 

“Chanyeol.”

 

“Completely disregarding her obvious feelings for you”—

 

“We were never dating.”

 

“And—what?”

 

“There was never anything romantic between Mary Sue and me,” Nichkhun said, throwing Chanyeol rather off-track.

 

“Oh.” Well, this just got awkward. “Then, what are you using her for?” he asked.

 

“I just wanted her help with my own romantic endeavors,” he explained. “Besides, even if I did feel that way about her, it would never work,” he mused.

 

“Why?” Chanyeol asked, and Nichkhun just smiled at him as if he knew something about Chanyeol that he didn’t.

 

“Because she’s too in love with you,” he said.

 

Wow. Chanyeol didn’t know what to say, but he sure couldn’t help the grin overtaking his face. Man, no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn’t hate Nichkhun.

 

“See you around, Chanyeol,” the other said, turning away to head out. As he did so, a slip of paper fell from his pocket.

 

“Wait,” Chanyeol called, bending down to pick it up, but the thumping of the music drowned him out. A glance at the writing on it caught his attention, and he unfolded it the rest of the way. What it said baffled him:

 

Zico says

Invite everyone to the

Club

Or else

 

What a strange format for a note. If he read the first letters down, it almost looked like a name.

 

 

Wait.

 

 

The round of trust falls in the alleyway was one of the most beautiful, tear-jerking things you’ve ever seen. Zico and G-Dragon embraced the epic bromance that had formed over your sessions, and after a quick “no homo” that you figured was some sort of inside gang lingo you didn’t understand, Eli and Zelo also fell into each other’s arms. Even Ren got in on the action, and you and CL as well.

 

They would have trust fallen until the first golden streaks of morning had you not brought an end to it and gathered them into a standing circle so you could begin the next session of everyone’s therapy.

 

“So, I’m sure we’ve all perfected the trust fall by now,” you said with a grin. “And it seems like our relationships with each other have really improved and even been fixed! But there’s one more thing we have to do to make sure we stay on good terms with each other. We have to always be honest with each other.”

 

You looked around and let the statement sink in for a few moments.

 

“There’s nothing that opens up communication, and therefore understanding, respect and trust, like honesty. So I was thinking—“

 

There was a clanging SLAM before you could even finish your sentence, and suddenly your alleyway session was being ambushed by lots of bodies. For a second you thought maybe the club was on fire and everyone was escaping. Some people were even screaming.

 

But then a pair of strong arms wrapped around you and a deep voice said in your ear, “Mary Sue, I’m here to save you!”

 

You had no idea what you needed to be saved from, or what was even going on!

 

“What?!”