Chapter Five.

It's a Cycle of Life. [hiatus]

Ding Dong! The doorbell sounded. Selina ran down the stairs, and jumped down the last five steps. When she landed it made a large thump! She stumbled a bit and stepped on her foot to gain balance. It was a wonder the floor still holds from all the times Selina did that. She headed toward the door. Her mom made it there before her.

The door swung open.

"Ah ma!" Selina heard her brother say for the first time in 8 months. His tone was deeper than usual.

"What about me, Calvin?" Selina asked as she arrived at the doorway. It seemed way more crowded than before. Maybe it was her brother's huge hulk.

"Hey, mei!" Calvin wrapped both of them in a big bear hug. He handed Selina a bag. "This is from a store on campus. I think you'd like it!" Selina started fumbling through the bag. It was so tightly wrapped. "No opening 'till tomorrow!"

Selina's birthday was tomorrow. She still didn't know what to do. Selina was thinking of hanging out with her family, her two best friends, and now Joe. Joe was so sweet to her after their first 'date'. Selina was still thinking about the kiss Joe gave her last night. The kisses, actually.

"Mei, what are you staring at?" Calvin asked. Selina realized she was staring straight ahead, which would be Calvin's chest. Calvin was almost six feet, and Selina was still not five feet yet. Selina studied her brother. He still had that warm stare and smile, but somehow he seemed older. Well, he was, by eight months..

"Nothing. Thanks, ge. I'll see you at dinner," Selina went back upstairs. She would ask questions later.

Selina retreated back to her room. In her mirror, Selina looked different, too. Am I more happy? She touched her hair, a memory came back from last night.

Joe was only a few inches away, this time Selina wake up and find him there. He touched her hair, "Your hair is so smooth and silky. It's beautiful. I love it," Joe lifted a strand of hair up to his face. Joe kissed her."I love you, good night."

Selina stood there after he left, savouring the moment.

Selina awoke from her thoughts as a sneeze erupted from her.

That was only the first date! How would the next dates be? Selina giggled. Maybe she should do something before her thoughts turned wild.

--beep, beep. Her phone signaled.

Selina lifted her phone. She read the screen. Selly, meet me at the park tomorrow at five. Don't forget! ---Joanne.

Okay. Selina replied back. She wondered what couldn't wait until school.

The main door closed downstairs. "Wo hui jia le! (I'm home!)" Selina's dad sang. Selina's dad sang everything.

"Come eat dinner! Selina!" Selina jumped off her bed and headed downstairs.

Once everyone was settled at the dinner table, Calvin spoke, "Dad, I am bringing my girlfriend tomorrow for you to meet. And also, I'm taking medical studies and my professor thinks I have talent. These eight months I've been eating well, I've been excercising, and I have had homemade soup. College is great, and... that's it"

"Who's your girlfriend? Where have you been having soup?"

"Hebe Tien, I'm not giving you any hints. Anyways, let's eat. I'm starving. No other questions for me? " Calvin started stuffing his mouth with food.

"Tonnes," Selina said.

"Too bad, you'll find out tomorrow," Calvin laughed.