Chapter Eleven!

It's a Cycle of Life. [hiatus]

Selina instantly jumped up at the sound of Joanne's voice. She hurried over to Hebe, Hebe collapsed into her arms.

 

“Calvin!” Hebe yelled. Selina didn't want to hear that coarse cry erupt from Hebe ever again. It sounded so sorrowful.

 

Selina peered over Hebe's shoulder. The police sirens were coming from two police cars. Some policemen were in the water, desperately searching for something.

 

“What.. what happened?” Selina asked through a break in Hebe's sobs.

 

“Your brother, *sob*, went swimming, *sob*, and then he pulled a muscle,” Hebe heaved a big breath.

 

Selina knew what was coming next. She dreaded it. She didn't want the words to come out of . If she didn't hear, it wouldn't be true.

 

Selina pulled away from Hebe and ran to the shore. She dived right into the water. The water was freezing, and it was dark. Selina plunged deeper and deeper into the water. She searched everywhere. Finally, human nature made her pop back up for oxygen.

 

Selina was surrounded by lukewarm water. The water had a glow to it. The water glistened. The view was beautiful. An arm stretched out and jerked her away from her thoughts, awakening Selina. Selina noticed the shortage of breath and instantly struggled to get back to the surface. Next to her, Calvin popped up from the water, his hair stuck on his face, and he smiled.

 

Saved you,” he had said.

 

I will save you next time,” Selina had replied.

 

Selina braced herself as she climbed back up the shore to the police officers. They had a calming aura to them. They would be authentic and polite. If Selina wanted to hear bad news, it would be from them.

 

“Uh, excuse me,” Selina asked, “What happened here?”

 

“A young man went into the water. He had a cramp, and pulled a muscle. During the struggle, he drowned.”

 

Selina held back tears, “And can you find him?”

 

“Sorry, we did everything we could, but there is no sight of the body. The accident was reported quite a while after, when a lady found you sleeping on the shore and the young man's shirt on the surface of the water.”

 

Selina snapped. Her emotions flooded out. “Anything else? Can I have the shirt?”

 

“It's on the shore. There was something in the pocket.”

 

Selina sprinted back toward the shore. There lay a white shirt, crumpled up and drenched. A little string was hanging out of the pocket. Selina pulled it out, and hanging on a tiny string was a ring. A diamond ring.

 

Selina held what her brother left behind and cried, cried until the sun's reflection showed on the dark water.