Chapter Ten!

It's a Cycle of Life. [hiatus]

Selina arrived at her party to find that Joane was there already. Stephanie and Joe were nowhere in sight. A few of Selina's cousins were there, too. Calvin was there, holding a girl's hand. Probably Hebe. He was wearing a broad smile on his face.

 

"Happy sweet sixteen, Selina!" A chorus of voices greeted her.

 

Selina smiled and quickly her thoughts about Stephanie went away. She still had other friends, and her brother.

 

Selina quickly rushed to Joanne. Joanne stretched out her arms.

 

"Happy birthday, girl," Joanne said. "I wish Stephanie was here."

 

Selina jumped at the reminder of Stephanie. "Oh, I got to go talk to my other cousins, be right back."

 

Selina walked up to Calvin, who was still smiling, and jumped on him.

 

"So this is the girl that makes you shave!" 

 

"Hey, mei. Stop it. I always shave. And she has a name, Hebe Tian. Hebe, this is my lovely sister, Selina. She's super good at swimming, now that I saved her."

 

Hebe smiled at Selina. It was unsettling how Hebe could smile so sincerely. Selina hadn't seen anyone smile like that to her. "Hi, Selina. Happy birthday. Your brother talks about you a lot. You ARE really beautiful."

 

"Thanks," Selina replied, not knowing what else to say. Selina felt Hebe's eyes staring at her. She was getting uncomfortable. Not that Hebe wasn't nice, though. "You're pretty too. Sorry, I want to go and swim. Bye."

 

Selina couldn't stop thinking about this afternoon. She remembered Joe's words. Her mind was all messed up. What did Joe mention about Jiro? 

 

Selina dipped in the cool ocean water. Her thoughts went away. Selina focussed on swimming. She swam. She held her breath under the water until she couldn't take it anymore. This birthday wasn't happy like her other ones. All Selina wanted to do was cry. In the salt water, she wouldn't taste her satly tears. 

 

Selina swam back to the shore, it was getting cold. Next thing she knew, she was asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Selina walked up to Stephanie's house. She saw Stephanie there, kissing Joe passionately. They weren't even caring that Selina was there, looking at them. By the side, Hebe was smiling sweetly. Calvin was shaving. Jiro gave her the bag. Her thoughts swirled. 

 

Next thing she knew, Selina was being chased by Stephanie. Her parents were behind her, and they were mad. They were shouting at her.

 

"Skipping school. Why do I have such a non-filial daughter! You are a disgrace to women." Her mom shouted.

 

"You are not my daughter."Her dad yelled. "We hate you."

 

THen Selina was falling. Out of nowhere, she was falling into a pool of darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Selina woke up with a start. She heard sirens, and they were really loud. Selina closed her eyes. That was just a dream. This is just a dream. Selina rose and stepped on a rock. Her foot started bleeding.

 

This isn't a dream! It hurts!

 

Selina realized that the sirens were still not fading. What was happening? Selina turned around. Joanne was crying.

 

"Selina, Selina! You finally woke up! " Joanne was totally drenched.

 

"Wh-what happened? Did someone get hurt?" Selina looked around. Hebe was crying, too. Why was she?

 

"Y-y-yeah," Joanne trembled. "Your brother."