Describing Something

Ways of Writing a Successful Fanfic/Story

In relation to Chapter 2 describing things may be easier than said.

Whenever you want to show how something/an item looks like, you'll want to describe the item. Whether it may be beautiful or ugly, just simply describe it by using persuading adjectives which allows the reader to imagine it. Like I've commonly stated, you'd like to include your readers with almost everything in the story.

Don't describe something like a grocery list, because that'll be too long and specifically, boring. Never list down your adjectives when describing something. Just keep it to a minimum, because from what I believe, I really wouldn't like myself to read like 5 lines of someone describing a basket of handpicked roses and whatnot.

When describing, just make it 4 at most.

For example :Describing a hotel room

The hotel room that Hiyori walked in was marvelous. Plush lounges just waiting for her to lazily lie on, clean white tiles which decorated the room perfectly was something indeed great to boast about in Instagram, and goodness, don't make her get started with the large marble kitchen in front of her.

See how this example took more than two lines? It's already long to read for someone like me. Don't explain too much and carry on with the story. You all have plenty of chances to describe everything where your character(s) are at. So don't stress.

For the adjectives used in your story, relate to everything I've mentioned in Chapter 2. Like the previous chapter, this chapter is like an extended version of another chapter;

 

To describe emotions, this may be something completely different to describing an object. Emotions relate to the characters, hence, use colors and facial expressions to describe what they're feeling. In school, or from primary knowledge, many people can relate colors to emotions. Such as red for anger, pink for love, green for creativity, yellow for warmth and happiness, etc. Take those into consideration when writing.

For example: Anger

Taeyang's face was flushed in anger as he marched forward to Alicia who was unwillingly going to his side as she swayed to the music. His face was like fuming in red, and all he could even see was literally red.

Another Example: Happiness

As if her yellow shirt wasn't already showing her mood for the day, Lisa's face was beaming in happiness as she skipped down the road in jolly glee.

See how I incorporated adjectives with representing colors? 

For the first example, I had Taeyang's face flushed in anger. Having a face flushed can mean anger no? And seeing red covers his vision on everything else. See how using adjectives can bring out more characteristics in a certain character's mood. Don't often state the obvious and describe it. It brings out more information for the reader.

For the second example, I didn't completely write it like the first. Whatever a character is wearing could also represent mood. So for example again, having someone covering up their thoughts by wearing a brighter color could mean something. In further detail, someone who's grieving is wearing black, or someone who's pure is wearing white.

I would use more technical words to make things easier (I should listen in my English classes more often) but this is all I could explain without making things anymore confusing.