Chapter 1

KyuWook - I hate everything about you

I hate everything about you!

Why do I love you?

 

That song was playing in my ears as I walked in the central corridor in high school.

 

I heard that in South Korea, high schools were not like this. But I didn’t really know if this was true or not. My parents had moved in Canada before I was born. I had grown up with Canadian kids in a Canadian world, though my name - Ryeowook Kim - was not Canadian at all. It sounded so weird to say it that way. My parents always used the Asian way, with the last name before the first name. Yeah, the last name first…

 

Anyways.

 

Being Asian in a high school lost somewhere in the province of Quebec wasn’t easy. You were always treated like you knew everything, your teachers kept pushing you in every single subject, and other kids didn’t like you because they were jealous of you. That’s what I told myself everyday so I wouldn’t just cry in a corner because other people didn’t like me very much. They’re jealous, Kim Ryeowook, I kept telling myself whenever people would look at me with hatred only because I was Asian.

 

But I think the worst thing about being Asian was the fact that there was only one other Asian in the entire school. And that guy was the most popular guy I had ever seen.

 

Kyuhyun Cho was tall, handsome, rich and a genius. He had refused to skip years, though he easily had the intelligence and knowledge of a university student. It had made him extremely popular. His dyed brown hair looked very fluffy, his dark eyes were piercing and sweet at the same time, and his heart-shaped mouth made every single girl in the school - and even a few boys too - want to kiss him endlessly. His sweet, perfect voice, was deep, and he liked to sing love songs to make girls dream to go out with him.

 

Tall, handsome, rich, genius. He had everything for him.

 

But he was SUCH. A. JERK.

 

That guy was not only the most popular guy I had ever seen, but also the meanest guy I had ever met. He was extra mean with me on purpose, even mocking my Asian looks though he was Asian too. He was also despising my brains - I wasn’t THAT smart but I was still smarter than a lot of people here, thanks to my Asian genes - though he was more of a genius than me. Because I wasn’t popular at all, he often laughed at me in front of half of the school.

 

That guy was the Devil.

 

I hated everything about him.

 

Was it really my fault that I was small? Was it really my fault that my hair wasn’t as fluffy as his? Was it really my fault that my voice was extremely high-pitched? Was it really my fault that my parents wanted me to absolutely have good grades? Was it my fault that I wasn’t born in a super rich family like him?

 

Was it really my fault that I was Ryeowook Kim, and not Kyuhyun Cho?

 

That guy. That jerk.

 

Definitely.

 

I hated everything about him.