GUILT

SECRET LOVE

Nori's point of view:

     Today was a new day. A new day to think and repent. Life could really be unfair sometimes but I still couldn't begin to understand why all these things had to happen to me. What had I done to deserve this? My parents had passed away over a year ago, and that was hard for me, but this was a situation that was killing me slowly. I shuddered as I thought about how Fei and Luhan were easily chatting yesterday.

     They weren't in close terms yet, but at least they weren't complete strangers either. It was a start for Luhan but it was also the beginning to my definition of torture. Every laugh, smile, smirk and look directed to Fei from Luhan was torture to me. It was painful to watch him give someone else what I wanted, no, yearned for.

     I could feel myself frown as I walked towards the cafeteria for a late lunch. I had no energy to get up this morning for breakfast, let alone get up to go to class. Around noon I gave up on going to classes today and found myself wanting to eat instead. I wanted to eat, but not necessarily because I was hungry, I just wanted something to distract me from cruel reality. Food had become my only comfort.

"Nori!" Someone called all of a sudden.

     It broke me out of my train of thought and I almost bumped into someone in the process. After avoiding an accident I turned to look for whoever was calling me. It was Luhan. My legs began to shake as he walked closer and until he finally caught up to me. Why did he have to be so flawless? Instead of trying to run away or make an excuse to not have to talk to him, the only thing that I could think of was how graceful he looked. It was as if a bright light followed his every step and he looked absolutely radiant. I had really fallen deep in love with him, huh?

"Hey, where are you going?" He asked in a heavenly voice.

"Uh, I was going to get some food." I shyly replied while patting my stomach.

"Can I join you?"

     He was smiling at me with that glorious smile and those glorious deer like eyes. How could I not say yes to that face? I simply nodded a yes and Luhan's next action took me by surprise.

"Let's go!" He exclaims as he wraps his arm around mine.

     His arm never left mine as we walked towards the cafeteria. I felt myself start to blush and I quickly turned my face away so he wouldn't notice. I didn't want him to know that I liked him, this was the worst time for that. Luhan was too oblivious of my nervous state as we finally entered the cafeteria together, our arms still linked together.

"Nori!" I heard someone else call.

     What was this? Why was I suddenly becoming so popular? No one paid attention to me, let alone talked to me, and now everywhere I went someone called out my name. Luhan and I looked ahead and found Lay with Kris sitting at a lunch table. My eyes landed on Kris almost immediately. As his eyes met mine I suddenly felt that same pang of guilt. I tried to reason that I had no reason to feel any guilt, it was my choice after all, but the look on his face made me feel that unreasoned guilt again.

"Hey guys!" Luhan greets as he pulls me with him towards them.

"Hi." I also greet them as I smoothly pull my arm out of Luhan's embrace.

     Kris rolled his eyes at the sight. I'm sure he thought I was being pathetic.

"Join us for lunch." Lay says as he motions for us to sit.

"We're going to get our food first and come back." Luhan laughs.

     As we walked away, I turned to look towards the lunch table and caught Kris looking back at me. I felt the sudden urge to talk to him, to explain to him why I was giving up on Luhan. I wasn't quite sure why I was doing it however. I don't know if he would be understanding but I still felt like I owed him some sort of explanation. But, why?

     After Luhan and I both purchased our food, we headed back to the lunch table only to find Lay seated by himself.

"Where did Kris go?" I asked this time.

"He said he had something to do." Lay shrugged.

     I nodded in response but I somehow got the feeling that Kris was avoiding me. It only made me feel worse.

"Nori, can I have your phone number?" Lay suddenly asked in between our meal.

"W-what?' I coughed.

"What? We're friends, aren't we? Friends call each other to hang out and talk, right?" Lay reasons with a cheeky grin that revealed a single dimple that I have never noticed before.

     He had a point though. We were friends at this point now and it was only right to act the part. Plus, the sound of being friends with Lay did not sound half bad either.

"Lay, quit being a flirt." Luhan laughed, "But he's right. Can I have your phone number too?"

     So many thoughts invaded my mind then. Luhan was asking for my phone number! I would finally have Luhan's phone number, me, the girl who wanted to know everything about him. The girl that only dreamed of talking to him, hanging out with him, doing everything with him. I was finally becoming closer to him and it made me completely forget the situation. I was spacing out without realizing it until Lay waved his hands in my face and then another thought came to mind. Kris.

"Hey, are you okay?" Lay asked.

"Uh? Oh, yeah. Sorry." I snapped back into reality, "Here." I said as I handed them my phone for them to dial their phone numbers in.

"I'm saving my name under 'crispy lays.' It's a cute nickname, right?" Lay says as he takes my phone.

     Luhan and I laughed at Lay, he was too cute sometimes. As they typed in their numbers, the thought of Kris came back once again. Why was the thought of Kris bothering me so much?

"Hey, can I have Kris's number too?" I asked Luhan who still had my phone.

"Kris?" I nodded, "Uh, yeah. Of course."

     I was asking Luhan for another mans phone number but their was no hesitation on Luhan's part. Their was not one bit of jealousy or even a single second thought about it. He really didn't think of me as a girl, did he? I was just a friend to him.

"Well, it was nice talking to you guys. I have to get to class now." Lay says as he stands up, "I'll text you later, Nori." He winked once until finally walking away.

"You creep." Luhan exclaims to Lay while laughing, "Sorry about Lay."

"It's okay, I don't mind. Lay is very charming." I laugh in return.

     Luhan and I sat and continued to eat in silence for a while before Luhan had to leave for class. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence; it was pleasant sharing this time with him, but for how long? How long did I have until I was replaced with Fei?