Too Close

The Confession

 

Yixing was too impatient to knock on Luhan’s door, and he quickly found the key that Luhan had given him and opened the door quietly.  Expecting to find Luhan bustling in the kitchen as he always was he was shocked by the draft of cold wind that flew through the doorway.

Confused, he walked in and shut the door quietly behind him. He couldn’t see Luhan anywhere, and certainly not in the kitchen. Cautiously taking a step into the apartment, he was surprised by how cold and forbidding it looked. Whenever he came, it was always welcoming, with Luhan smiling that ridiculously cute smile. Wait cute? What am I saying?

The room was in shades of grey in the morning light, and Yixing moved out of the living room and towards the bedroom. Luhan had to be there.

He opened the door and his heart stopped cold.

“Luhan,” he whispered as he rushed to Luhan’s side. He was breathing shallowly and his face was pale. As he kneeled down to get a better look, the carpet squelched underneath him. Looking down, he realized that the whole side of the room was soaked. Confused, he looked up and swore.

He must have slept with the window open. Yixing looked down worried. Luhan’s eyes were half open, and he was murmuring slightly. Suddenly his face paled as his eyes shut and his head lolled to the side.

Yixing panicked. “No, Luhan, No! Stay with me, please! Don’t..don’t.” He ended in a whisper as he realized how ridiculous he was being. Luhan was just sick, wasn’t he?

Yixing pulled Luhan’s legs up and slipped his arm underneath. Placing his other arm around Luhan’s back, he picked Luhan up, holding him securely to his chest. The warmth of the boy startled him,

He shook his head. He needed to get Luhan to the hospital, it wasn’t the right time to ponder Luhan’s feelings.

Putting Luhan in the backseat, Yixing quickly drove off on the familiar path towards the hospital. Suddenly, he heard a groan from the back. At the next red light he turned around and saw Luhan reaching his hand out towards him, eyes blinking blearily.

“Yixing-ah. Where…where are we going?” Luhan whispered hoarsely.

Yixing reached back to grab Luhan’s hand tightly. “We’re going to the hospital, ge. Don’t worry, you’ll be okay.”

“Mmm…I’m tired, Yixing-ah,” Luhan groaned softly as his head lolled to the side. Yixing looked back, panicking. Luhan couldn’t sleep, he couldn’t. He could get a lot worse if he fell unconscious.

“No, Luhannie, stay with me! You can’t fall asleep, you can’t.” Yixing’s hand clenched the steering wheel as he desperately tried to keep Luhan awake.

“But…I’m so tired. And it hurts..” Luhan’s eyelids felt heavy as he kept almost succumbing to sleep. His chest was hurting still, just like it was last night. It hurt with a kind of twisting pain, as though his insides were rebelling against him.

Luhan curled into a ball, trying to shield himself from the hurt that blossomed from inside him, inescapable and utterly terrifying.

“No, Luhan, stay awake! Stay awake…for me. Please, stay awake.” Yixing’s voice was raw as he drove as fast as he could. Luhan felt his hand get squeezed by Yixing’s larger one. Looking down he felt as though his heart skipped a beat and the pain receded slightly.

I have to stay awake. For Yixing. For this. To hold his hand like this, just a little longer.

“Okay,” he whispered, as he squeezed Yixing’s hand as hard as he could.

“We’re here, Luhan. Just hold on a little longer, we’ll have a doctor take a look at you.” Yixing’s voice was still filled with worry, and Luhan wanted to hit himself.

Stupid Luhan. How could you get sick again? Stupid, stupid, making Yixing do this for you when he probably still hates you.

The next few minutes passed in a blur as Luhan was checked in and he went to the exam room. He tried to stay awake, he really did. But when Yixing was forced to leave…all the strength flowed out of his body and the pain returned in full force. slightly, he let sleep consume him as the monitors started to beep slower and slower.

Yixing sat outside on a cold metal chair, bouncing his knee nervously. Luhan was inside, and who knows how he was? When he left Luhan there, he looked so pale. So fragile, with skin like porcelain. Just like a doll, beautiful and perfect to look at, but harmed with just a touch.

The clicking of heels made Yixing look up. It was the doctor.

“So, your friend is mostly alright,” She said while looking down at the clipboard. “She’s dehydrated, sick, and probably very stressed-just being sick shouldn’t make someone faint just like that.” Flipping the pages back together, she looked up and her eyes widened. This man was so good looking it was ridiculous.

“Is she your girlfriend?” she tried to play it off, like it was just a question, but she was dying to know. The girl inside the room was so pretty, of course this guy was her boyfriend. But he was so handsome, she couldn’t resist asking.

Yixing flinched, confused. “What are you talking about? My friend is a guy. So, he’s not my girlfriend…” His voice trailed off.

“What?” She looked down at her clipboard again, flustered. Great. So he might be single, and I just made myself look like an idiot. Right there, next to Luhan, was the word MALE. “Oh dear, I’m so sorry. It’s just he’s so pretty so I thought…”

“It’s okay,” Yixing smiled warmly, “Everyone makes mistakes, so don’t worry about it. I’m just glad Luhan is okay.” Yixing wasn’t really paying attention to the conversation anymore, he was just thinking over what the doctor said.

Luhan was stressed-was it because of him? Yixing remembered that Luhan had run away after that night-and knowing how fragile Luhan was, he probably spent the whole night crying. Instantly, Yixing wanted to punch himself.

This is my fault. I should have known-he’s so fragile and forgetful-of course this would happen. How could I let him just go? This is my fault.

Yixing felt like someone had poured cold water on him. He had to see Luhan-he had to apologize. Snapping out of his thoughts, he noticed that the doctor was still there, talking about something.

“A-and I was…you know..I  was wondering if you…maybe-”

“I’m sorry, but can I go inside? I need to see Luhan.” Yixing interrupted her, not even listening to what she said.

Her face fell, Yixing noticed. What was she talking about that was so important? Maybe he should have been listening. But right now, Luhan was more important, so he brushed it off.

“Of course,” she said quietly, opening the door.

Yixing ran inside, breathing a sigh of relief when he saw Luhan sleeping peacefully on a stark white bed.

“Luhannie…” he whispered as he sat on the hard plastic chair next to him.

“This is all my fault, I’m sorry. I should have run after you, I should have looked for you earlier, then we wouldn’t be in this mess. I am so sorry, Luhan, I hope you could forgive me. I might not love you like you love me-but I do love you. I do.” Yixing leaned over and softly kissed Luhan’s forehead.

The exhaustion of the day catching up to him, Yixing put his head down on his arms and fell asleep immediately.

Luhan couldn’t breath properly. Yixing didn’t hate him? Yixing loved him, even? Luhan felt a spark of hope blossom in his heart as he fell asleep again, with Yixing’s name on his lips.

In the doorway, the doctor stood, open in shock.

A/N: Oh. What did I just write? Haha I bet you guys are wondering what role the doctor plays? Well you'll just have to see :)

hahaha I'm sorry this took so long, guys! I was going to post a Layhan spam but I already did that on a blog post so if you're curious, go here:

http://www.asianfanfics.com/blog/view/232128

Thanks SO MUCH to my lovely subscribers. Please comment and give feedback on what I could do better, and if you have any questions, just post them in the comments too. I love you guys, thanks so much.