The Curious Inquiry

Sherbet


Nichkhun was the first to pay at the counter, his phone going off right as he was handed back his card. Turning away, the oldest answered his call as Junho and Wooyoung paid for their meals and met up with the Thai outside.

“Who was that?” Wooyoung ventured as soon as Nichkhun hung up.

His brows dipped in a frown before he answered, “My mom. I have to go check up on my sister.”

“Will you be back?” Wooyoung asked, eyes blinking almost expectantly.

The Thai cocked his head to the side in doubt. “I don’t think so. Maybe we can go another day…”

“I told Chansung we’d be there, cause he said he might come back afterwards,” Junho spoke up, too busy with his own thoughts to notice the upset expression that briefly crossed the older boy’s face.

“Oh that’s right, okay.” Nichkhun smiled thinly. “Then I’m off, bye.”

With a wave, Junho and Wooyoung resumed their walk to the Conservatory of Music. It was only when they had almost reached their destination when Junho paused in his step, finally realizing the grim look Nichkhun had on his face before the older had left.

“Aww ,” he mumbled under his breath. Wooyoung glanced over but otherwise didn’t ask. I completely missed that, Junho thought to himself. I hope Khun doesn’t start assuming things. Sigh. I’ll explain it to him later. He also didn’t want to admit that after sorting his thoughts, he had concluded that Chansung had in fact been the source of his distracted mind. 

“So,” Junho looked up as Wooyoung’s voice pulled him out of his reverie, “you and Khun can come in after hours?”

“Yeah, us, and a few other senior students, I think?” Junho responded as he unlocked the door. He led Wooyoung to one of the bigger practice rooms as the pair walked through the dark hall. It was differentiated by a single glass wall that was located beside the door, which allowed a clear peak to the inside of room without actually having to open the door.

Flipping the light switch, Junho smiled at the familiar room as he installed himself at the drums, and Wooyoung pulled up a chair and set his bag down beside him. Junho rested his feet on the two pedals, one for the bass drum and one for the hi-hat cymbals. His eyes roamed across the percussion instruement directly in front of him; the snare, and the toms. He picked up his sticks, closed his eyes and let his wrists move.

When Junho had finished playing a various amount of beats, and he didn’t think Wooyoung could look any more amazed, he stopped and set the drumsticks down beside him. “So what do you think?” he asked, trying not to be cheeky.

“The Jazz Festival was nothing.” He laughed as Wooyoung continued, “You ever think of playing in a rock band or something?”

Junho pursed his lips as he shook his head. “Rock’s not really my thing.”

Wooyoung’s lips turned up in a smile. “Me neither. But your playing, it’s just… Wow. You’re really good.”

“Thanks,” Junho replied, slightly embarrassed.

He got up and took a seat by Wooyoung, thankful for the back rest that was absent in a drum seat. Junho began to fidget, and he bit his lip in annoyance. Playing had temporarily distracted him but now that he had stopped, there was something bugging him once again. He swallowed.

“Uhh.. Wooyoung?”

“Yeah?”

“Um, is Chansung and Leem— I mean, are Chansung…” He stopped to recollect himself, finally looking up and tried again. “How come Chansung is never late when he goes to meet your friend?”

Wooyoung raised his eyebrows, not seeming to miss the fumbling of words that had just occurred. “Leemae? Leemae is scary. Chansung and I learned as kids never to mess with her, and she hates it when people are late,” he replied with a tiny chuckle.

“Late for what?”

“Leemae’s teaching Chansung japanese. She went to Japan as an exchange student in high school and loved it so much that she stayed there for the rest of school.”

Junho wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or not. “So, he gets one-on-one tutoring from her?”

Wooyoung nodded. “Yup.”

“Oh.”

“Why?”

“No reason. Just curious,” Junho replied quickly, leaning back on the chair’s hind legs.

“Well, Leemae’s my cousin, and she’s cousins with Chansung on the other side of her family.”

At his words, Junho couldn’t help the smile that tugged the corner of his lips. “So you guys are family?”

“Me and Chansung? I guess so, cousin’s cousin.”

“That’s pretty neat.” Junho couldn’t help the smirk that took over his face.

“The fact that we’re somehow related, or that Chansung isn’t dating Leemae?” Junho looked up in surprise, the comment catching him off guard. Wooyoung’s eyebrows were knitted, and he looked as if he was deep in thought. “Hey Junho, can I ask you something?”

- - - - -

Nichkhun was a tad annoyed on his walk over to the conservatory. He knew it wasn’t his sister’s fault that her phone had died on her, but of all days, why did it have to be today? After calling his mom back and multiple apologies from his younger sibling, Nichkhun was finally allowed to go off on his own again. He hated to admit it, but he was feeling jealous over the fact that Junho and Wooyoung were hanging out without him or Chansung. Not to mention that unexplained situation earlier, and Junho had yet to clarify why he had been with Wooyoung before they all met up in the first place.

The Thai sighed. Get a grip. This is Junho we’re talking about. With keys in hand, he headed towards the entrance.

It was dim inside, with most of the lights having been turned off after closing. Following the strong light source from what he suspected was coming from one of the rooms with the glass wall, Nichkhun walked through the hallway and turned a corner. And froze.

His heart fell to his stomach.

Through the glass, Junho lay sprawled on his back, still partially stuck on an overturned chair. Wooyoung was also on the ground, leaning over the fallen boy, one elbow on the ground and the other arm placed on the other side of the younger boy, apparently to hold himself up. 

Nichkhun blinked a few times to assure his eyes weren’t fooling him, but the scene in front of him didn’t change. Wooyoung’s face was still way too close to Junho’s, but he was now getting up and pulling Junho up with him. Nichkhun watched as they exchanged a few words, his head spiraling with thoughts.

It’s probably just a misunderstanding. Junho was probably leaning back on his chair, as usual, and fell over. And Wooyoung… Wooyoung fell too. Total laugh out loud moment. Besides, Nichkhun swallowed thickly, Junho wouldn’t do this to me.

While he was deep in thought, Wooyoung had already picked up his bag and made his way to the door. Noticing that he had yet to be spotted, Nichkhun took a step back and stayed hidden in the shadows of the hall. Wooyoung opened the door and shut it behind him. The light hit him in the face, and Nichkhun didn’t miss the fact that Wooyoung was grinning ear to ear, cheeks flushed pink. Nichkhun didn’t think his heart could sink any further, but it did. Wooyoung looked as if he’d just been kissed.

Nichkhun couldn’t help but stare in silence as Wooyoung walked past him, pulling out his phone and starting to type as he exited the building. Letting out a breath he didn’t know he had been holding, Nichkhun gasped for air. He fought the tears that were building up at the corner of his eyes and clenched his teeth. He should be sad, but right now, all he felt was anger. He marched up to the door and flung it open.