Forced Pairs

Sherbet


Soft music played in the background as Junho and Nichkhun walked side-by-side along the paved path, now lined with little tents that each covered a table full of intricate items. In the center of the park a stage had been set up for the band, with an arrangement of chairs plus a separate area nearby for refreshments.

“You ready?” Nichkhun asked casually, looking over to his companion.

Junho had his hands in his pockets as he shrugged nonchalently. “I guess.”

“Nervous?”

Junho stopped walking. “Are you?”

The older male turned and raised his eyebrows. “Why would I be nervous?”

Junho shrugged again. “I dunno,” he replied, holding back a smirk. “I just noticed how you tend to go ten shades pinker when Mr. Cute Cheeks is within the vicinity.” 

Junho had only seen Nichkhun with Wooyoung once, but he figured he was right when Nichkhun remained quiet, not bothering to argue back. His friend pushed him lightly and they both laughed. The Thai suddenly paused and narrowed his eyes.

“Hey don’t move. You have something stuck in your hair. You’d think that after you straightened your curly hair nothing would get caught in it,” Nichkhun teased as Junho stilled and the taller reached over to grab the leaf.

“There you guys are.”

Nichkhun and Junho looked over to find Wooyoung and Chansung walking their way, Chansung carrying a huge grin. Wooyoung’s eyes flickered momentarily to Nichkhun’s hand that was in the process of fixing Junho’s hair.

“Hey,” Nichkhun responded, pulling his hand away from Junho and jamming it in his jean pocket.

“You guys came,” Junho exclaimed with a smile.

“Told you Wooyoung would be interested,” Chansung replied almost proudly.

Wooyoung smirked. “I didn’t know you liked jazz music Junho.”

“It’s alright. The band didn’t have a drummer, so…”

Wooyoung and Chansung fell into step beside Junho and Nichkhun and they continued along the path, admiring the stands and chatting about whatever came to mind.

Junho ended up walking in between Nichkhun and Wooyoung, with Chansung on Wooyoung’s left. Junho couldn’t switch places with Nichkhun without it looking awkward, but he noticed how his friend was less tense, not ten shades pink and that he was, almost, his usual charming self.

Good.

Because Junho was going to be leaving soon. He checked his phone.

Or now.

“Alright. I gotta go get ready.”

“So early? I thought it started in another hour,” Chansung put in, looking at his watch.

“I know. But we have to be there early. Sound check and all that,” Junho mumbled. “Actually, I probably won’t be doing anything for the first half an hour.” He heaved a sigh. He wasn’t exactly looking forward to the wait.

“Then we’ll go with you,” Nichkhun offered lightly.

“You’ll be bored to death. You guys will have more fun here.”

“Then I’ll just come along. Keep you busy,” Chansung volunteered. 

Junho blinked in surprise. “What? You don’t have to. You guys can—” His hands automatically raised to wave Chansung off just as his eyes found Nichkhun and Wooyoung. “—actually, I could really use the company,” he finished, smiling.

Chansung smiled back, their eyes making contact.

I’m only agreeing so Nichkhun can get some alone time with Wooyoung, and that’s all, he convinced himself.

Junho quickly turned to Nichkhun, breaking the gaze before it lingered longer than needed. “We’ll see you guys in an hour then?” With a wave, the pair walked off in the opposite direction, heading towards the stage.

Nichkhun watched as Junho walked off, leaving him alone with Wooyoung. His friend was a devious fox.

This isn’t the first time we’ve been alone, he told himself silently, and it was fine last time. Just act natural.

“You never showed me your finished drawing,” Wooyoung suddenly accused, eyeing him and interrupting his thoughts.

Oh snap. The Thai could already feel the heat rising in his cheeks. “I didn’t? I thought I did, sorry. It’s completed. Maybe I’ll show you some other time.”

“I hope you didn’t draw me weird.”

“It’s probably one of the best sketches I’ve ever done,” Nichkhun replied offhandedly, remembering that his sister had given him a similar review. Realizing what he’d just admitted, he flushed, and looked over. Wooyoung was smiling sheepishly.

After an awkward silence, Wooyoung spoke up. “Well you’ll have to prove it, just in case you’re just being polite.”

Nichkhun nodded with a laugh. “I’ll carry it around with me everywhere, until I run into you again.”

“Or we could just exchange phone numbers and save you the trouble,” Wooyoung suggested. “But I like the first idea too. It shows your dedication.” He was nodding as he talked, and Nichkhun laughed again, pulling out his phone.

They continued their stroll, stopping by a few stall to admire the merchandise. It soon got busy, and the extra people meant a more crowded path, forcing the two boys to walk closer to each other. After squeezing through a crowded intersection, Wooyoung spotted a stall and walked over.

Nichkhun followed him to a table full of candies and treats. “You hungry?”

Wooyoung showed Nichkhun his phone, indicating the text message on the screen. “Chansung,” he replied, looking through the assorted candies and snacks. “He’s always hungry. Do you think Junho would like something too?”

Nichkhun raised his eyebrows. Junho? Wooyoung turned to face him, waiting for an answer. Nichkhun shook his head. “Umm, probably not, not while he’s playing.”

“Yeah you’re right,” Wooyoung agreed, resuming his scan of the choices. “And if I give it to Chansung to hold on to he’ll probably eat it anyway.” He finally looked up. “So what are you gonna get?”

“Hm?”

Wooyoung smiled. “Do you know what you want? My treat.”

Hm?

“You’re paying?” Nichkhun asked, slightly stunned.

“Yeah, why not?”

Maybe it was because Nichkhun was a convincing person. Maybe it was because most of his dates had been with girls. Maybe it was because he thought of himself as a gentleman. But for whatever reason, Nichkhun had always been the one who paid. And that wasn’t about to change. “No it’s alright, I’ll pay.”

“Naw I got it.” Wooyoung caught Nichkhun’s hand, preventing the older boy from extracting his money.

Nichkhun ignored the warm sensation that fizzed up his arm from where Wooyoung had touched his hand. Turning on his charm, he focused instead on the lady watching them behind the counter. A few minutes later they were walking towards the stage, Nichkhun carrying a small bag of candy and a defeated Wooyoung by his side.

“How’d you do that? All you did was open your mouth and she was glued to your every word. She didn’t even register the bill I waved in front of her face,” Wooyoung asked, slightly dumbstruck.

Nichkhun didn’t answer as he stared straight ahead, a faint smile still playing on his lips, color already successfully taken over his cheeks.

“Well I’m paying next time,” Wooyoung huffed, his eyes searching among the crowded seating area set apart for the audience. “I see Chansung.”

They made their way to where the other boy had saved them seats near the front.

“Miss us?” Wooyoung asked as he took a seat beside his friend.

“Nope,” Chansung replied, grinning and nudging Wooyoung lightly with his shoulder. He turned back towards the stage. “They warmed up a little bit. Junho’s really good,” Chansung stated in awe.

“He is isn’t he,” Nichkhun replied, almost proudly.

Chansung nodded, then turned to face the older boy, eyes falling on the bag that Nichkhun held in his hands. “Is that for me?”

Before Wooyoung could protest, Nichkhun had handed the bag over, hiding his laughter behind a smile. Chansung smiled back, eagerly accepting the bag the Thai placed in his hands.

Wooyoung gave Nichkhun a I-cannot-believe-you-just-surrendered-our-food-to-the-food-monster look, in which Nichkhun reflexively responded with a wink. Wooyoung pursed his lips as a faint glow touched his cheeks, and Nichkhun felt the warm fuzzy feeling again at the sight of Wooyoung’s blush.

The audience took to their seats as the conductor made the introductory speech, before calling the band to attention. As much as Nichkhun had sat in a few rehearsals, the vibe that the band gave off had changed. Their stage presence was entirely different, and the music that followed was amazing.

He had spent alone time with Wooyoung, who was now sitting beside him while they listened to the band play, music that Junho was contributing to. It was a good day, almost too good to be true.

Almost.