Late Night Stroll

Sherbet

Nichkhun and Junho were walking side-by-side along paved pathway, the dark grey color of the asphalt from the recent downpour. The rain itself had stopped and the clouds had parted way to reveal the remnants of the setting sun. The evening air was getting chilly, but Nichkhun’s long sleeve shirt was good enough to keep him warm. He looked over at his best friend in slight concern. Junho’s coughing had definitely lessened, but it hadn’t disappeared.

“Khun,” the boy spoke up cheekily as he caught the older staring, buy me a drink?” “I already apologized, and I still feel bad. But that doesn’t mean I’m gonna do you any favors.”

Junho pushed his wet hair out of his eyes and gestured to his whole body. “I look like I decided to take a shower in my clothes. And no, just because I’m wearing your hoodie doesn’t change the fact that I’m still soaking wet.” They stopped by a convenience store and Junho looked over again, eyes bright. “Please?”

They were fully aware that they had stopped in front of Wooyoung’s workplace, but they both knew the latter didn’t have an evening shift.

“Fine,” the Thai conceded in amusement.

Nichkhun heard the chime as soon as he pushed the door open. A bleary-eyed employee looked up at him as he walked in before looking back down to continue reading his paper splayed out on the counter. Nichkhun passed him and headed to the back to search the fridge full of drinks before calling over to the older man.

“Do you have anymore Aloe drinks?”

The man looked up but before he could answer, a head popped out from behind the Employees Only door.

“Khun?”

“Wooyoung!”

A smile found his lips as he commented, “I thought I recognized your voice.” Wooyoung moved from behind the door and walked around the counter towards the older boy. “What are you doing here?”

Nichkhun hesitated at the thought; Junho. He couldn’t help but smile to himself before replying, “I was gonna get a drink—”

“Bubble tea not enough for you?”

Nichkhun felt heat rise in his cheeks just as his phone beeped in his pocket. Going home. Will return your hoodie later =D

Nichkhun wasn’t even surprised. He pocketed his phone and looked up.

“You’re not working are you?” he asked almost on impulse.

Wooyoung shook his head. “Just here to check my schedule and a few other things. Do you need to be somewhere?” It was the Thai’s turn to shake his head. “Cool. Gimmie a sec? I’ll be out in a minute.”

Wooyoung gave him a quick smile before disappearing behind the door. Not long after, he emerged with a piece of paper in hand, folding it and shoving it in his back pocket as he made his way back over. As Wooyoung led him to the front door, he abruptly turned around and Nichkhun bumped into him in surprise.

“Oh sorry. Did you buy a drink? I completely forgot—”

Nichkhun chuckled quietly. “Don’t worry about it.”

They stepped outside and the cold air made the hairs on the back of Nichkhun’s neck stand on end. He shoved his hands in his pockets, silently blaming Junho for getting sick and taking his hoodie.

“Today was fun,” Wooyoung commented casually, breaking the silence.

Nichkhun recalled the roller coaster ride of events that had happened during his day. Depends how you define fun, he thought, but Nichkhun kept it to himself and chose to nod instead.

“It was fun. I didn’t know you liked chicken so much.”

“Chicken’s really good for you,” Wooyoung replied, mock serious.

Nichkhun laughed. “I believe you.”

Wooyoung responded with a bright smile.

God, that smile.

“Hey, I just realized you never really answered Junho’s question.”

Nichkhun blinked. “Huh?”

“What makes you blush? Khun, are you even listening?” Wooyoung inflated his cheeks in an attempt to attract the the Thai’s attention.

God, he’s cute.

“Khun, are you blushing? And you didn’t even answer the question.”

Nichkhun widened his eyes and quickly his head in to the side. He’d been flushing so much in Wooyoung’s presence that he hadn’t even noticed he was doing it at the moment until the younger boy had pointed it out.

“Khun. I saw that. What are you thinking about? Tell meeee…”

The lilt in his voice was unmistakeable as Wooyoung latched on playfully to Nichkhun’s arm, trying to get a good look at the older boy’s face. Nichkhun turned away and went along with the younger boy’s antics, but Nichkhun was honestly trying to avoid Wooyoung from seeing his face. His face was heating up so fast he was sure his cheeks had gone from pink to scarlet red.

“Geez, Wooyoung, why are you so persistent?” Nichkhun teased.

“Cause you haven’t answered the question!”

“But you already know the answer!”

“I do?”

Nichkhun looked over and nodded, hoping that the darkness of the night was enough to hide the color on his face. Wooyoung paused to think, and realization slowly set in as he pressed his lips together and looked at the ground.

Finally, I’m not the only one blushing.

After an awkward silence, Nichkhun’s eyes suddenly flew open as he looked around. “Where we going?”

“Huh? I dunno, I was following you,” came the prompt response.

“Oh.” Nichkhun let out a qiuet laugh. “Let’s find somewhere to sit then.”

They found a dry bench overlooking a large pond and sat down. Neither said a word as they listened to the peaceful sounds of moving water and the crickets that chirped the night away.

If Junho was here right now, he’d be telling me off for not making a move. Nichkhun swallowed. So make a move.

“Willyougooutwithme?” were the words that tumbled out of his mouth.

“Hm?”

Nichkhun saw Wooyoung turn to him from the corner of his eye, but Nichkhun wasn’t sure if the younger boy had heard him. The Thai took a deep breath, summoning his courage and tried again. “I have feelings for you.” Nichkhun was staring straight ahead, but he chanced a glance over at the younger boy beside him.

There was something in Wooyoung’s smile as he replied, “I like you too.” Nichkhun wasn’t sure why, since all signs pointed in that direction. Junho had made it clear to him how obvious both parties were but Nichkhun had still been nervous. But hearing Wooyoung’s answer made his heart skip a beat; he was beaming as he bit back the urge to grab Wooyoung in an embrace and never let go. It’d ruin the moment. I’ll have a chance to do that later, right?

“So… um… Will you go on a date with me?” Nichkhun asked hesitantly.

“I thought we were already on one.”

Wooyoung grinned sheepishly as he scooted over so that the sides of their arms and thighs were pressed against each other. The breeze brought in a draft of cold air, and Wooyoung turned to him.

“Do you wanna go home? Aren’t you cold?”

Despite the fact that his long-sleeve shirt was thin, and the night chilly, Nichkhun was anything but cold. His face was hot from all the blushing from before and the muscle beating in his chest sent waves of warmth to the rest of his body, not to mention Wooyoung’s body heat that radiated from his right side spreading throughout his whole being.

The full moon was out, its silver light illuminating the night sky. The moon was reflected onto the pond surface in front of them, surrounded by an array of bright dots representing the stars scattered above. They both shifted to a more relaxed position, Wooyoung’s head settling down on Nichkhun’s shoulder. Nichkhun could feel the boy’s steady breathing from beside him, the sensation relaxing him as he fell into rhythm.

Nichkhun liked this. He liked it a lot.