Chapter 6.

"C'mon... I Dare You!"

 

 

"Wakey-Wakey eggs and bacey~" a soft voice sung in your ear.

 

Eggs and bacon… yum… You sleepily smiled as you imagined the smell. Your empty stomach cramped.

 

You opened your eyes slowly and saw… a face inches away from yours! ARGHHHHH!!!!OH!  You instinctively hit out at the object as you dove under the thin sheets.

 

There was laughter "She actually got scared!"

 

At first you were confused. Then you remembered. Ah yes… the hellhole. You pushed the sheets off and glared at the intruder. It was… J-jo? Jon… oh yeah Jongup.

 

"What the hell do you want?!" still in your half-asleep state you couldn't be bothered at throwing your pillow at him.

 

"Nothing!" he was grinning broadly now "Had a nice sleep?"

 

You remembered last night. The springs stabbing into your skin. Your stupid stubborn reply by kicking your bed, concluding with your bed collapsing and you sleeping in a cramped position against the wall.

 

"Oh, yes. It was gre-eat!" You peered up at him suspiciously, "Is that all you wanted to ask? That's what you woke me up for?!"

 

Once again he laughed "No, no. You slept in and missed out on breakfast. Everyone go up hours ago."

 

Your eyes opened wide, your eyes drifting to your watch. 10:48AM. What?! But I'm starving! I'll even eat the garbage they serve here!!

 

Jongup seemed satisfied at your dismay "So I brought you some!" he reached behind him and held out a tray of, what appeared to be, real food.

 

Your eyes opened wide, silently rejoicing. Then you grew suspicious.  Why would he bring me food? Isn't he supposed to hate me or something… something is fishy….

 

Jongup seemed hurt when you glared at him and accused him of being a food poisoner "B-but really! I'm just trying to be a good friend! If we're going to be roommates and my bed is next to your-"

 

"Only for a week will we be roommates!" You corrected, only realising then that he was indeed the one who slept in the next bed.

 

"Well… it's no crime for not wanting to do a good deed!" he urged.

 

Hmmm… to trust or not to trust… Your stomach whined to be fed, after only eating an apple the day before. Grudgingly you sat up on the frame of your bed and took the tray off him. It contained: A carton of milk and a straw (Oh goody!), a container of fruit salad, scrambled eggs and slices of bacon. You grabbed the extra utensils and began to dig in.

 

As your hunger began to settle you could sense that Jongup was staring closely at you. You looked straight back into his eyes "What do you want?"

 

He seemed uneasy and his lips moved silently, then he blurted out while kneeling on the floor "TEACH ME EVERYTHING!"

 

Stunned, you stared at him. He was begging… for… "W-what?!"

 

"Teach me all the things that a guy has to do to get a girl! PLEASE! I need to know the secrets!"

 

You suddenly grinned "Wow, desperate aren't we?"

 

In reply he nodded, his eyes pleading at you. Haha, won't this be fun. Although I've never even had a boyfriend so I have no idea what a guy has to do to get a girlfriend… meh, I'll just make him look ridiculous!

 

"Fine!" you returned to eating, ignoring his cries of gratitude. Then another evil idea popped inside your head "On one condition."

 

Jongup looked at you curiously "Anything!"

 

You smirked "You have to do whatever I say for a month."

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -         - - - - - - - - - - - - - -         - - - - - - - - - - - - - -         - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

"Wah- oh…. gasp… y-you're so heavy!" Jongup heaved as he piggybacked you outside. After you had showered and gotten dressed you had given your first order to Jongup.

 

You frowned and pulled his hair harshly "Don't you dare insult me like that or you'll end up bald before the month is up." you pointed at a empty chair ahead "Take me there!"

 

He staggered over to the chair and waited patiently for you to get off. He was panting although it was not that far from the cabin.

 

You settled comfortably in the chair, taking out your iPod and earphones, then turned to him "Tip number one: girls like a strong guy to carry them around. You can go now."

 

His face brightened and he whooped with glee as he left. You chuckled to yourself. Little does he know I'm just making it all up! You a song and began to listen, while closing your eyes in relaxation.

 

"Good morning, Miss Jung!" a deep voice sounded beside you.

 

You opened your eyes to see the Commander, "Uhh, hi."

 

"How was your first night here?"

 

You felt awkward speaking so formal "Uhh… it was good."

 

"I see. Well enjoy the weekend while you can." he began to wander off. Something suddenly occurred to you.

 

"S-Sir! Isn't it supposed to be all military? I thought disciple started today!"

 

He turned back "It's just the weekend that you guys can have a little break. I merely meant to scare the newbies. No… Monday is when the real hell begins!"

 

Unsurprisingly that didn't exactly excite you, although you wondered what he could mean. It can actually get worse here?!

 

You cleared your throat nervously "S-so we just hang around here all day?"

 

"Oh no, no! You can go with one or more people to the town, but never alone. Now I must go. Good day Miss Jung!"

 

You gave a small bow and when he turned you stuck out your tongue at his back. Suddenly he pointed out two figure walking by "I bet these two gentlemen wouldn't mind you joining them to the shops."

 

You recognised the horrified faces of Zelo and Daehyun as they stiffly agreed. Oh great…

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -         - - - - - - - - - - - - - -         - - - - - - - - - - - - - -         - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

You walked in silence with the two. It felt awkward. You felt like an intruder. You didn't want to go. And yet that Commander-guy had literally forced you to leave with them, even following you to the gate.

 

But at least you could see around the place. It was a long walk, at least for you, as it took a whole half an hour until the shops appeared in sight. Your steps automatically quickened.

 

All this walking made you hungry.

 

You followed the guys into the entrance of the mall. Suddenly they turned around to face you "You can uh… walk around and… well do whatever you want now." Daehyun said awkwardly.

 

Rejecting me? Fine. It'll be better than to hang around with you two.

 

You tossed your hair and walked away into a random shop. You turned to see the two staring at you incredulously and you realised you had walked into a guy underwear store. Oh … keep it cool Jung…

 

You stared back "What? My dad knows a friend who owns this store and I'm just going to greet him."

 

They blinked and nodded, before exchanging looks and disappearing in the flowing crowd. Once you were sure they were gone you rushed out, your face slightly flushing. Idiot. Next time look where you are going!

 

You spent ten minutes wandering around before you bought a slice of cake and ate it outside a small cafe. You spent your time watching the people wandering by.

 

Suddenly your eye caught three girls. They were wearing extremely short shirts and shorts, and shoulder-revealing shirts. But that wasn't what made them appear "ty" in your eyes, it was the attitude. The one in the middle, obviously the leader, made goggly eyes at a semi-attractive man who ate on the other side of the mall. She dropped her wallet and, acting surprised, bent down to retrieve it, making sure her was facing the guy. The guy was leaning forward, his eye bulging. The other girls laughed and waved.

 

Disgusted you turned back to your cake and stabbed another chunk. Suddenly there was a shadow on your table. You looked up to the three girls staring at you.

 

The middle one spoke "Um, excuse me, but you're in our seat."

 

Annoyed you answered "Excuse me, don't talk to me while I'm eating!"

 

There was a gasp and then the girl spoke again "Hey! I haven't seen you before! Did you just move here?"

 

You cooly met her eyes, taking in the caked make-up and the thick slices of mascaraed eyelashes "I'm attending the local military school, now can you leave me in peace?"

 

"Oh my god! I go there too!" She plopped down on the seat across from you. The other two awkwardly stood there as there were no other seats available.

 

Funny, I haven't noticed any guys drooling and telling crude jokes. Instead I said "Oh really? I haven't seen you."

 

"Huh? Oh my god! You think I'd actually stay there? Like board? Oh no no no! I just attend the school… wait… y-your boarding there?!"

 

"Yeah… so?"

 

Her eyes suddenly squinted "No girl has ever boarded there before. It's like… the rules!"

 

"There's no rules that a girl cannot stay, unfortunately." You turned back to your diminishing cake.

 

There was the screeching of the chair as the girl got up "I don't like you or your attitude! You better watch it, ." then they strutted away.

 

You pretended to ignore the statement, but you were really fuming. ?! ME?! I haven't even hugged a guy! And I was forced to go and board… you you… !

 

You finished your cake and wiped your lips with the napkin that came with it.  Well… that was really random, anyway. Guess I better look forward to meeting her again~

 

You wandered around for another hour, drifting in and out of shops. You didn't see the girls again, but you did bump into Daehyun and Zelo. They agreed to leave in another hour.

 

So you wandered around some more, before sitting at the agreed meeting place, the entrance, and waited until they came in sight. You were sort of tired and couldn't wait to go You trudged home after the guys, who carried plastic bags of their shopping. "Did you buy anything?"

 

"Cake." You muttered.

 

The rest of the trip was in silence, expect for the occasional conversation between the Zelo and Daehyun. You felt a relief once you entered the cabin and proceeded to lie on your still-collapsed bed.

 

For the remaining of the day you listened to your iPod, drifting in and out of sleep. Ignoring the world around you. You weren't sure of what to make of this place.

 

I feel so confused. It's bad enough already, with "hell" beginning on Monday, but also a strange girl hates me, my roommates hate or semi-dislike me and my father hasn't replied to my text I had sent him last night! I'll text him again. Maybe he'll miss me so much and he'll take me out of here.

 

Sure there's the fun of teasing that Himchan guy (who I haven't even seen today) and Jongup's weird obsession of getting girls to like him, but I feel like an outcast. Once again. Can't I just have one friend? Someone to watch my back? To confined in and who would comfort me?

 

The word boyfriend flashed into your mind, but you quickly shook it away, shuddering. You had heard the stories and witnessed the harshness of a relationship before, many times. Every time you had ever felt attracted to a guy, you had convinced yourself it was just hormones. That there were no real feelings of love. Boys were all selfish jerks.

 

You didn't want that. You just wanted a friend. Anyone.

 

 

Is anyone out there?