Chapter 2.

"C'mon... I Dare You!"

 

 

 

Your plan didn’t work. All day you had scrubbed, vacuumed every room and dusted every object. Yet, when your father returned at 11 pm he barely glanced around the house.

 

“Get to bed. We’ve got to get up early tomorrow.” He muttered as he dragged himself upstairs.

 

You stood still for a second. He doesn’t care. Well what did you expect? A miracle? Deep inside your heart you could hear a small voice answering, Yes… You clenched your teeth and stormed upstairs. When you closed your door you collapsed on your bed, ignoring the protesting squeak of the springs.

 

‘I can’t leave…’ Your eyes automatically drifted to the photograph of your mother. She sat, frozen in time, in the garden, poised and beautiful. Although she wasn’t smiling, you could see her eyes twinkling at your father’s antics behind the camera. ‘Would you force me to go?’ you wondered.

 

‘Hey, uh… mother…’you stumbled over your thoughts ‘Ever since you di-… left us, things have changed, including me. I.. erm… oh what the hell!’ you turned away from the photo, feeling the pang of memories returning.

 

‘Ever since you left, I’ve had to become stronger, protected myself, just like you told me to. But no one understands that. Dad… yeah well he tries. But he’s lost without you, so he’s turned back to working. Can you believe he’s a businessman now, after all the jokes he made about them? We can barely hold a proper conversation, and neither of us can cook for our life.’ You grimaced, remembering your past attempts to make a meal, ‘Why did you leave us? What do I do now? I promised to work hard, but I’ve fail you… I’m sorry.’ your chest felt heavy, but you shook it away. You must be strong. You must prove to your mother than you can do it.

 

Your eyes drifted closed with these thoughts, as you fell into a fitful sleep.

 

---

 

The next morning you dragged yourself out of bed early, had a shower and dressed into denim jeans, a long grey shirt and a dark jacket. You then began to pack. Part of you was hoping that your father would change his mind, begin to laugh and say it was all just a big joke. But the other part knew that he was serious and that nothing would change his mind.

 

'Why doesn't he discipline me… here? I don't need to leave.' you thought to yourself spitefully as you closed your suitcase. You could hear your father walking outside and the front door closing.

 

'He'll be wanting to leave soon then.' Your energy seemed to restore as you began to pack the necessary odds and ends into a separate backpack. You always had a desperate fear of being felt behind and alone, ‘Ever sinc-

 

You froze momentarily as you hear the car start, and then picked up your luggage. 'Great, here we go.' you grabbed your dolphin toy, stuffing it into the backpack. Then you turned and took one last look at your room.

 

'Goodbye room.'

 

You walked down the stairs, grabbing an apple for breakfast. 'Goodbye kitchen, no matter how useless you were the last few years I’ll still miss you.'

 

As you closed and locked the front door, hearing the growling engine of the car waiting for you, you bit your lip. 'Goodbye house.'

 

Then you ran to the car, leapt in and shut the door. The engine revved as your father silently began to drive. Your apple lay sat on your lap, as you buckled your seatbelt. It began to patter with rain, breaking the haunting silence between you two.

 

 You turned to the window, watching the streets and the town of your past 8 months fade behind. Ever since your mother died your father had retired from his post to look after you (or at least attempt to). But by taking up another job you two had to travel a lot, whenever and wherever his boss decided. Before your mother died you had never left your town before you had never wanted to after your mother died. When she had died, so did your dreams to travel. But there was no denying destiny after moving 12 times since.

No one can deny their destiny, a small voice inside your heart whispered.

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

You arrived 3 hours later, at the gates of Seoul's Military School for Juveniles. You had fallen asleep against the window. After your father had parked he turned to wake you ‘Daughter… my precious daughter… am I doing the right thing for her?’ he thought.

 

Suddenly you stirred and your father quickly acted like he had just parked, “We’re here." he unbuckled his seatbelt.

 

Inwardly you groaned as you got out of the car. Damn… Your neck was stiff and sore and wearing the backpack didn't help. There was a large 2-story building in front of you, and you realized that a long and very tall wire fence ran around the compound. Great. So no one can escape right? Your thoughts turned to the American film, The Great Escape, and began to automatically think of ways to escape.

 

You sullenly followed your father, shooting lasers and daggers at his back, while hating this idea more and more. If you give me another chance, Dad, I promise I won't hurt, terrify or disrespect anyone again. Please please please don't leave me here. You of course were too stubborn to actually say this, so you remained silent and sullen.

 

"Um, the Commander's office." your dad stated, rather awkwardly and opened the door.

 

You had pictured a bald, bad-tempered man, complete with square shoulders and a loud bark instead of a voice. But instead, there sat an old, frail-looking man. He smiled sweetly as you bowed awkwardly and sat in a chair.

 

"Welcome, you must be Lee Jung." his voice did seem to have a bark, but not as forceful as what you had pictured. You bowed once again, and breathed in relief as your father took over the conversation.

 

"So you did get my message the other day? Good. I knew that you wouldn't ring me back, so I came up anyway."

 

The old man glared at my father "Yes I did. And if it wasn't for the other message you sent, announcing you were dropping her off today, I would've rang you back today. She simply cannot stay here."

 

"She is staying here, Mr. Chun" your father said coldly, "you still owe me for that time."

 

"But…" the old man glanced at me, his will faltering "But she's a girl. We don't have any spare cabins, since they're all filled with boys, growing boys."

 

Hello, I'm right here. I can hear you insult- wait WHAT?! Don't tell me there aren't any girls! Okay, even though I hated the girls always making googly-eyes at jerks at my old schools the thought of only guys seems worse. You began to rub your hands together nervously. Perhaps this was enough to change your fathers mind. He was sure to refuse if I was stuck with only guys.

 

But instead he scoffed and tossed a folder onto the desk, "She can take good care of herself, believe me. She has a very short temper and quick fists."

 

You shot a death glare at your father, as the commander flicked through your education files. He gave a low whistle as he read the notes about how you got expelled 'Right at the start of the school year too. She's a fighter alright, although she doesn't look at it at the moment.'

 

Then he turned back to your father, "I... I guess we can enroll her now, if she doesn't mind staying in the same quarters with guys."

 

You were about to say no. About to escape from this nightmare, when the Commander turned away and called "You can come in now."

 

'Great, no need to hear my opinion at all.'

 

The door opened and a boy strode in, with a cocky grin on his face as he rubs his messy dirty-blonde hair. You froze inside at the sight of the guy. H-he's freaking hot! Wait no, focus. Look at the cocky grin… that means he knows that he’s hot and that he can/has used it to his advantage. Ugh, great, another jerk. On the outside you remain emotionless as these thoughts rushed inside your mind. He stopped abruptly when he saw you and looked questioningly at the Commander.

 

The Commander spoke gruffly "You're getting off easily today, Daehyun, but never put gum into anyone's hat again." the guy chuckled at this, but the Commander continued, "This is Lee Jung. I know that you have an extra bed in your cabin, so do her a favor and show her where it is. Her father and I have to sign some papers."

 

The Commander spoke gruffly "You're getting off easily today, Daehyun, but never put gum into anyone's hat again." the guy chuckled at this, but the Commander continued, "This is Lee Jung. I know that you have an extra bed in your cabin, so do her a favor and show her where it is. Her father and I have to talk and sign some papers."

 

"So…" your voice cracked a bit with emotion, but you swallowed and continued in a monotone voice "So where am I staying?"

 

‘Oh yes, where shall I be staying in this hellhole? And with whom?”