Chapter 5.

"C'mon... I Dare You!"

 

 

 

 

 

In the cafeteria it was noisy, it was smelly, and it was full of obnoxious boys. That was enough to put you into a foul mood.

 

 

It was like walking into an amusement park… no, a hundred amusement parks, even though you had only gone once before. The noise shocked you. Yelling, shouting, laughter, groaning, talking, screaming, bellows and roars and other indescribable noises. You could barely concentrate on your thoughts. Paper planes, footballs and shoes flew across the small cafeteria. You ducked beneath a flying soccer ball and scampered to where dinner was served.  

 

 

How am I supposed to put up with this? You grimanced when another ball hit your shoulder.

 

 

Grabbing a tray, you crinkled your nose at the putrid smell and tried to distinguish what kind of food (if it actually was) they were serving. It certainly wasn't your average Korean dinner… or any meal you knew of, for that matter.

 

 

"W-what's that?" you pointed towards a yellow-milky liquid in a tin.

 

 

A large serving lady glared at you, her voice a loud monotone sound "Fried eggs."

 

 

"That's fried eggs?!" you raised your right eyebrow "What uh- happened?"

 

 

"They're made of powdered eggs." 

 

 

"Oh… could I have the mashed potatoes over there an-"

 

 

"That's rice."

 

 

You raised both eyebrows this time. What is this? She's joking right?

 

 

Before you could ask there was a splat and she had already begun serving you up, scowling as she did so. When she had finished, the unidentifiable liquids and goo oozed and overlapped the sides of each receptacle. 

 

 

"Is that all, miss?" She practically spat. You nodded stiffly and turned away.

 

 

Grabbing a spoon you hurried over to a table, which was thankfully empty. You gulped nervously and spooned something green and gunky. Carefully you tasted it.

 

 

You choked immeadiently, splurging the liquid across the table. YUCK! What the is this? Poison? Ugh, I thought that this was supposed to be a camp where you can survive! I'm going to die of starvation! Imagine my headstone: 

 

"Poisoned by cafeteria food after giving into starvation at a erted school that her father abandoned her at.

R.I.P. Lee Jung… you lived a terrible life."

 

 

Dear father… what the HELL were you thinking?! Sending me to THIS place?? If you really wanted discipline you could've bribed me. I would've settled for a reasonable amount of cold cash each month to keep my temper cooled. Whywhywhywhywhy?

 

 

You wheezed for breath and tried to get rid of the sour taste in your mouth, while glancing around the cafeteria. You noticed a few curious glances and stares towards you but ignored them. Your eyes caught a familiar blob of bright pink. Zelo, isn't it? 

 

 

He was sitting with the rest of the creeps. They better not try anything, or they'll answer to my fists of fury. Thinking of this you gave a few punches into the air, as if to prove your point to the staring boys. Instead they burst into sniggers at how ridiculous you looked.

 

 

You pushed your tray away (you figured you could survive without dinner) and lay with your head on top of your crossed arms, shooting lasers at any late stragglers looking for a seat. You were left alone with your whining thoughts.

 

 

You lost track of time, which was only five minutes, when you suddenly noticed the old man, the principle, standing silently before the shouting crowd. You felt sort of sorry for him, being an old man, since it would take a long time to attract the attention of a whole cafeteria of immature erts. 

 

"AHHHHH-TEN-SHONE!!!" he roared.

 

 

You almost fell off your seat in shock. Holy crap, what happened to the 'sweet(ish) old man'? Don't tell me it was an act…

 

 

Unfortunately for you, it had indeed been a front with which the Commander preformed before guests and parents. And now his true self burst into the cool night air.

 

 

The cafeteria shuddered into silence, every eye the man standing before them, some, like you, had their jaws open in shock. He had not taken off his mask until this moment. Meanwhile, the serving ladies and seniors who had attended before, leaned back to watch the show.

 

 

"That's better," he grinned, showing his gleaming yellow teeth into the crowd of boys (oh yeah… and me too), "Now to begin introductions. First of all you will only refer to me as The Commander, or sir will do just as well. Anything else will not be tolerated.

 

"Second of all I'd like to extend a warm welcome to you all and I hope that this first week of everyone settling was fun" There were polite nods at this part. "Now that all the stragglers have been rounded up early this afternoon you all can finally begin your first year at 'Seoul's Military School for Juveniles'. Since school does not officially begin for two days, on Monday that is, training will begin tomorrow... early. So be prepared."

 

 

The rest of his speech slurred into boring, incomprehensible words as you began to drift off, your cheek resting on the palm of your hand as your elbow was propped upon the table. You fluttered awake when there was a sudden cheer and talking. Apparently he had announced a single grade would be able to go on an excursion to America, but only one and that it was random or a competition or whatever. You didn't really care.

 

 

I have an aunt over in America, don't I? Probably an uncle too… Oh yeah, that's right! They're the ones who always send me money! Muahahaha, why should I get a job when they send me a steady income whenever America has one of it's countless holidays. Money money money~

 

 

As you sat at your table, grinning stupidly to yourself, you couldn't help but notice the old man- Uh, I mean "The Commander"  was glancing at you from time to time. And each time he did the glare he gave you was dark and dangerous. You weren't the only one who noticed either, as Youngjae raised his eyebrow curiously as he made the connection. 

 

 

Ugh… how long has he blabbered on for? You groaned inwardly as "The Commander" had begun to recite the history of this asylum you were trapped in. 

 

 

Your eyes clouded over with boredom and you began to drift in and out of focus. It was a strange habit you did to distract yourself. But this time it didn't work, so you just had to content yourself by tracing the lines and streaks of the wooden table before you, imagining what your father was doing right now. Probably feasting on five pizzas, just to spite me. Your stomach grumbled at the thought of real food.

 

 

All of a sudden, after an hour of unregistered words clogging up your ears, you heard the words you had been waiting for. "You may now leave. Goodnight boys… and others. Come to me if you have any questions."

 

 

You jumped up and began storming towards the old man, dodging the rushing crowd of impatient boys trying to escape while they could. Hell, yeah I have questions. And some demands too!!  You noticed to  your right your "roommates" were also headed towards the Commander.

 

 

You all reached him at the same moment, and began shouting at him, trying to catch his attention. You were practically on the verge of screaming when he gave a vicious motion for silence by slicing the air horizontally.

 

 

As you stood there awkwardly next to the boys you realised how short you were compared to them. But the Commander had pointed to you for you to start.

 

 

"Oh um…" for a second you were speechless, trying to remember what you were doing, "Oh yeah! Well sir, I'm not comfortable sharing a cabin with these… animals. I was wondering… is there any other option?"

 

 

"ANIMALS?!" Himchan squeaked with rage. Smugly you thought: Boy, you really do hate me don't you? This shall be fun, with you and your short fuse, Mr. uh… What'sYourFace.

 

 

"Listen, it's not my fau-" the Commander started to say.

 

 

"Look, sir, we aren't comfortable with this arrangement either! She's a girl and we're boys!" Yongguk stepped forward. 

 

 

"I wasn't aware of that. I thought this was a girl scout camp." the Commander sneered sarcastically.

 

 

"We refuse to share our cabin with her!" Daehyun objected.

 

 

Okay, should I be happy because they refuse to share quarters with me… or not since I'll probably be sleeping on their doorstep instead. Aish, why so confusing? Can't I just go home?

 

 

The others began protesting as well, but the Commander held up his hands for silence "Listen, I talked with your father afterwards, Miss Lee. He seemed to regret the idea of you staying with guys after you left, so we're repairing another separate cabin just for you."

 

 

You felt your lips begin to tug themselves into a satisfied smile, but the Commander wasn't finished, "But it's going to take atleast a month. But-"

 

 

You shook your head fiercely "UH-UGH! I am not  going to stay with them for a month!"

 

 

"WILL YOU STOP INTERRUPTING YOUR COMMANDER!!!" his voice roared. We straightened out positions, partially in shock and the other part… perhaps in fear or instinct.

 

 

The Commander took a deep breath, carefully ran his hand through his thinning hair and began to talk quietly "Yes a month, perhaps two. Who knows? So your father did the liberty of ordering a tent for you. You can sleep outside until the repairs are finished."

 

 

Relief washed over you as you asked excitedly "So where is the tent? I'll set it up now!"

 

 

The Commander looked a little bashful as he answered "Well, you legally aren't allowed to use the school tents, and since your father ordered it from… I've misplaced the name of the company, but anyways it's going to take a week to arrive. So all-in-all, you will have to share quarters with these so-called animals. Just until the tent arrives. I'm sure you can deal with that… miss. Have fun!" And with that he turned and marched out of the cafeteria doors.

 

 

You and the boys turned to face each other, regarding the other an enemy of the darkest kind. You narrowed your eyes and pointed one vicious finger at them "There better not be any funny stuff."

 

 

"There's nothing to have fun with." Jongup joked. But you glared at him for the insult. This is going to be a long week.

 

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

 

You rolled over in your bed, trying to get into a comfortable position. The springs in the mattress seemed to stab into your thighs and back. Earlier you had to venture into the bathroom to get changed and it was an unforgettable experience. 

 

 

*** Flashback ***

 

A foul smell came from the toilet, whose lid was up. You didn't dare go over to attempt to flush it. The tiny shower, which only had a thin plastic shower curtain, was crowded with soap, body wash and hair products. Wow, I never knew boys care so much about their hair, you thought as you examined a bottle. Since you didn't bring your own you had a quick shower and used the most expensive and nice smelling products available in the pile. You decided on strawberry scented, half wondering what the hell would a guy want to smell like strawberries.

 

 

Getting out of the shower, you saw things that you didn't notice before. The sink was filled with almost-black water and two pairs of dirty socks. Soaking wet towels were sprawled over the white tile floor and boxers hung where where the towels should've been. 

 

 

You stuck your tongue out in disgust and wrapped yourself in your own towel that you brought. Pigs! How could anyone live like this? You dressed yourself quickly and escaped from the 'pig-stye'. 

 

 

"Okay!" you announced to the boys, who were doing various things. They turned to face you, eyebrows raised at you wearing a hoodie and long pants. You weren't about to show any skin in front of a group of erts. "First of all I'd like to know… how on earth do you people put up with such a… disgusting bathroom?"

 

 

"It's called organised chaos!" Zelo piped up.

 

 

You crossed your arms, "It's gross!"

 

 

"I agree." Youngjae muttered quietly before turning back to his book.

 

 

"Well," Himchan sat up on his bed "If you feel that way, feel free to clean it up!"

 

 

Don't. Fall. For. It. Your fingers twitched as you imagined them squeezing his neck as he choke to death. You weren't prepared to return to that place until morning, although your bladder was planning otherwise.

 

 

So you ignored that statement and collapsed on your bed. It shuddered for a moment. You shut your eyes, mentally wishing that when you opened them you would be in your room. 

 

 

Instead you saw a nose brushing against your cheek. WHAT THE F- you shoved and kicked the intruder away. Jongup groaned and rubbed his neck "I was only smelling you. You smell kinda… nice."

 

 

Hearing this Daehyun bounded over and took a deep sniff of your wet hair. He dodge your swipe and he laughed "Oh my! Youare right Jongup. She smells like strawberries."

 

 

You were furious. They better not- Their lives are already at stake!! Touch or smell me again… asdfgafshdgasfdhgafsdjhagsfkjhgasjfkhkjjlkl~ killkillkill!!!

 

 

"Strawberries?!" Jongup sat up, his eyes widening with realisation "Did you use my hair product and body wash?"

 

 

You shrugged coldly in reply, then a sly smile crawled over your face "Yeah… yeah I did. And what are you trying to do? Smell like strawberries as well?"

 

 

Jongup scowled, turning red in embarrassment as he tried to explain "I-It was on this dating site that guys that smell like strawberries are more likely to turn a girl on-"

 

 

He didn't get much further as the whole cabin exploded into laughter and booing. Daehyun rolled on the floor, holding onto his stomach and Zelo yelped helplessly as tears rolled down his cheeks.

 

 

You chuckled and shook your head "You really need to learn that those things don't really work. They might in another country or in a story, but not here." 

 

 

As the laughter began to die down the cabin was plunged into darkness. You sat there, half terrified at the sudden dark, as the boys yells out protests and curse words. Suddenly there was an ear-piercing whine as the loud speaker outside the cabin . Then you all heard the familiar voice of the Commander speaking.

 

 

"That, my students, is the start of the discipline of this school. Lights go out at eight o'clock sharp, there is no exception for any cabin. Early to bed early to rise, right?" Here he chuckled evilly before bidding everyone goodnight and sighing off.

 

 

"What the hell?"  "EIGHT O'CLOCK?!" "That's when my goldfish retires!!" "WHERE AM I?"

 

 

As the others attempted to feel their way across the room, you blindly felt for your bag, ped it and reached inside for the toy. Somehow, in such a strange and slightly terrifying place, it seemed to comfort you. You crawled under the thin sheets and sniffed the dolphin. It smelt of home. You closed your eyes and attempted to go to sleep. You were exhausted mentally, physically and emotionally from the events of today. Even that nap did no justice!

 

*Flashback*

 

 

And now here you were. Hours later, or so it felt, wide awake and exhausted, and being bruised by your own bed. It would be better to sleep on the floor. Your bed creaked loudly as you rolled over again to face the wall.

 

 

"Whoever is doing that, could you shut up?" A dark voice growled inside the cabin.

 

 

You rolled your eyes "Make me!" 

 

 

"Are you sure about that?" another voice threatened.

 

 

In reply you proceeded to wriggle and kick your legs violently, causing the most painful screeches and squeals in the springs. Suddenly your bed seemed to fall away and you gave a small squeal as your bed collapsed.

 

 

There was the sound of sniggers, giggles and someone saying " in!"  throughout the cabin as you came to your senses. Of course this would happen to me! Why not? What a great way to end the day! Ugh, please let me go to sleep soon, so this night will be over quickly.