Chapter 1 - Feelings

Baby You Are My Star

 

 

For the third time this week you were still at dance practice past midnight. You had been dancing all through the night and now even your bones were sore. I don’t know why you were complaining though; Jay said you could leave 3 hours ago. But you stayed. Working with him until you perfected every move. There was something about Jay that made you pull through the pain and carry on. Maybe it was because you wanted to impress him with the new moves you’d been practicing or maybe it was the reason you had been trying to deny for a while. That every time you saw him a thousand tiny butterflies were let loose inside your stomach, that when he smiled your heart beat 10 times faster and when he spoke your knee’s went weak and your body felt like jello. That was the real reason all right and you knew it.

As the song hit its peak you pushed all those thoughts to the side. You focused on the dance and the dance only. Making sure every step was correct and in time with the beat. Jay wasn’t helping. He was stood right behind you breathing down your neck. Your head buzzed and you tried to think straight. You thanked god when the song ended. You walked to the corner of the studio picking up your water that was poking out of your bag. You took long slow gulps to avoid conversation for the longest time possible. Jay broke the silence first.

‘I think that’s enough for today. I don’t think I can handle carrying on anyway’ He chuckled. ‘What time is it?’ You looked down at your watch on your wrist and read out loud.

‘Nearly 2:30’ You replied. His eyes widened slightly.

‘Really? It only feels like 11. Wow we danced for a long time’ He said with a shocked tone. He slung his bag over his shoulder and unplugged the CD player. You walked towards the door. You were just about to tell him goodbye when he spoke again.

‘___________ wait, erm, Do you need a ride home?’ He asked. You froze. You couldn’t. You wanted to so badly but you just couldn’t. He’d never asked you that before and of all days he could, he happened to choose today. When you were thinking about him the most. You had to try and get rid of these thoughts you had, so you declined.

‘Oh erm no its okay, I’m just gonna walk. I only live 3 blocks down’ You replied hesitantly.

‘Are you sure? I really don’t mind. It is late and I don’t want you to get hurt on your way back’ He said. You were shocked that he actually cared enough to show his concern. I mean yeah you had been friends for a while but he’d never said anything as caring as that.

‘No really its fine, I walk home all the time. Don’t worry I’ll keep my head down and I won’t talk to any strangers’ You teased. He let out a light laugh and held his hands up.

‘Fine, fine but don’t say I never asked’ He said with a smile. You waved goodbye and walked through the door. You couldn’t help but smile to yourself as you walked down the steps. His words played over in your head. So he does care about me…