Chapter 2- My Savior?

Life with Me and My 6 "Brothers"

                 I know I mentioned it in the other chapter, but as for updating, I think Im choosing Sunday's as the deadline. So this update is a bit early, so don't expect antoher chapter until Sunday, the 10th. But thanks for subscribing and commenting!

 

               Chapter 2:

                Your POV

                I asked the question again, but he didn’t answer. I shook him off when we were far enough down the street. He looked back at me with eyebrows raised and I placed my hands on my hips.

                “Why are you giving me that look?” Donghae sighed.

                “Why? Do you just put your arms around every stranger?” I didn’t bother with honorifics.

                “What did you want me to do in that situation? Should I have walked by and left you?” Donghae was a bit angry at how rude I was being. I became quiet. That’s true. Something bad could have happened if he didn’t come by. Sure, I could have probably taken down one of those creeps, but not all of them at the same time.

                “Well?” Donghae raised an eyebrow.

                “Hmmph!” He was not getting me to admit to anything. I stomped by him and didn’t look back. This rude guy was not getting an apology no matter what.

                “Yah! Kim Ae-Young!” Donghae yelled after me. I turned left down the street, back home. I could hear and sense Donghae running after me. He slowed down to my pace and I rolled my eyes. Will this kid not go away?

                “What? No apology for your knight in shining armor?” Donghae’s voice dripped with sarcasm and leaned over to try and get me to look over him.

                “Don’t you have a home to go to?” I shot back coldly.

                “Wow!” Donghae puffed all the air from his cheeks, “And when I chose a seat next to you, I thought to myself, ‘Oh, this cute girl is bound to be nice!’”

                Is it hot in here?! I pushed my hair back behind my ears. Was that a compliment, or an insult?

                “Oh, you’re blushing eh?” Donghae smirked. I cleared my throat.

                “Why are you still following me?”

                “You think I would let a girl walk home by herself in the dark? It isn’t safe,” Donghae explained casually. Hmm, okay, maybe he is a bit of a gentleman.

                “It’s ok. You don’t have to, “We passed by the school entrance, “I walk home like this all the time.”

                “I’m surprised nothing’s happened yet.”

                “Yeah, well….” I trailed off, unable to think of how to respond to that.

                It was awkward silence the rest of the walk. I wasn’t really open to talking to him, so it was difficult to carry on a conversation. For the first time I took the time to notice more about him.

                Donghae was about three inches taller than me. He had two piercings on his ears, both on the lobe. His skin was milky white, almost whiter than mine. He wore many bracelets on his arms, which were not there during the school day. Donghae wasn’t also in his school uniform, but a loose white sweater, jeans, and sneakers.

                “So, um…” I spoke up and Donghae turned his head to look at me, “What were you doing before?”

                “Before?”

                “Before we just met up,” I corrected. 

                “Oh, I was out at the dance studio down the street.”

                “Dance studio? You dance?”

                “Yep, have been for a long time now,” Donghae nodded his head as a matter of fact.

                “What kind?” I inquired further.

                “Hip hop  mostly, but any kind really.”

                “What about ballet?” I immediately thought back to Han Geng, who was amazing at ballet and martial arts. If so, I could introduce Donghae to him. Maybe they would become friends! Wait, why am I thinking that? Aish!

                “Ballet? Never!” Donghae laughed. I pouted slightly. He ruined that part of my plans.

                “That dance studio, I think a student from our school goes there,” I snapped my fingers, trying to think back to the friends that my brothers had over so many times, “Ah! Lee Hyukjae! People call him Eunhyuk.”

                “Eunhyuk hyung? Yeah, he’s in my class!” Donghae smiled excitedly, “He’s really good at dancing. We’re hanging out tomorrow after school.”

                “Good for you,” I smiled, forgetting my grudge over him. We were in front of my house and I stopped. Donghae was giving me a weird grin.

                “What?” I asked defensively.

                “So you do have a soul,” He laughed carefree.

                “Shut up,” I blushed again. Geez, what was with me?

                “You should go home,” I urged and crossed my arms.

                “Yeah, you’re right,” Donghae scratched his head. I looked around awkwardly. Why was he still here? I waved goodbye and turned around to get to the front door.

                “Ae-Young!” Donghae called to me. I faced him again. He stood ten feet away, still at the entrance to the house near the road.

                “Yes?”

                “What days do you go to work?”

                “Every other day,” I replied a bit hesitantly. I didn’t know this guy that well. Who knew, he could be a .

                “Ok then. Wait for me after you finish your shift. I’ll walk you home!” Donghae slipped his hands into his pockets.

                “Y-you don’t have to do that!” I insisted, stuttering a bit. Stuttering, blushing, what other embarrassing things could I do in front of this guy!

                “No, I want to!” Donghae said a bit too forcefully. He realized his tone and rubbed the back of his neck while offering a sheepish smile.

                “Ok then,” I said after some time, “I’ll see you Sunday at 6.”

                “Sunday, 6, got it!” Donghae winked playfully, “See you later!” He waved and disappeared down the street. A smile spread  across my lips. When I turned back around to put the key in the door, I screamed and jumped back. There were a bunch of heads looming in the window from the kitchen. The door yanked open to reveal an angry Kangin Appa. He yanked me inside and slammed the door closed.

                “Who was that?” He asked, trying to keep his anger in check.

                “A friend?” My answer came out as a question. Donghae and I weren’t even friends, and didn’t know one another long enough to be called acquaintances.  I just gave Kangin the answer that would make him the least angry.

                “Oh I know who that is!!” Leeteuk ran from the window with Sungmin and Yesung trailing him. “That was Lee Donghae! The new transfer!” Leeeuk giggled and tapped my nose with his finger.

                “So this boy is going to walk you home from now on?” Sungmin leaned in towards me with a Joker-like grin.

                “You heard all of that?” My eyes were as wide as saucers.

                “Ddangkoma and I have extremely good hearing,” Yesung pet his turtle’s head.

                “I don’t like it,” Kangin shook his head.

                “We’ll decide if he’s worthy next time he comes over,” Yesung assured Kangin. I rolled my eyes. Not this stupid ritual again! People must think we’re completely insane.

                “So, what do you think?” Sungmin nudged me.

                “Of what?” I raised an eyebrow.

                “Of Donghae of course! We all saw the way he was looking at you~,” Sungmin sang, “I see a future boyfriend!”

                “For the love of god!” Kangin breathed deeply and pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. He sat down on the couch in the living room. I shook my head, he was such a drama queen.

                “Did I hear the B-word?!” A higher pitched male voice shrieked from Henry and Zhou Mi’s room from down the hallway. Oh no, I knew that voice anywhere….

                Out ran the third year, and biggest diva of our high school, Kim Heechul. He had his long hair tied up like an apple and was wearing his pajamas. He grabbed both my arms and forced my eyes to look straight back at his large ones.

                “The one girl everyone voted to most likely be single and live with cats has a boyfriend?!” Heechul shook my arms.

                “No you cross dresser!” I shoved the man off of me. He scowled back at me and jutted his hip out, making his silver robe shine.

                “I am NOT a cross dresser! Just because I dress way better than everyone else does not mean I want to be a girl!” He glared and set his full lips into a thin line.

                “Jeez, calm yourself, I was kidding!” I calmed him down, “You here with your twin?” I referred to Zhou Mi. Heechul was good friends with Han Geng, and met Henry and Zhou Mi through him. Zhou Mi and Heechul immediately hit it off and became close friends ever since.

                “Yeah! I’m sleeping over if you didn’t notice already,” Heechul gestured to his robe, “By the way, who were we talking about?” Heechul asked no one in particular.

                “Lee Donghae,” Kangin growled out and switched the TV on.

                “The new kid!” Heechul exclaimed. I flopped down on the couch, careful not to get too close to Kangin.

                “He offered to walk her home after work!” Leeteuk sat on the arm of the couch and ruffled my hair affectionately.

                “And he barely knows you?” I could feel Heechul’s presence behind me.

                “I heard he’s in your class,” Sungmin sat down in a plushy chair texting on his phone. He was probably texting a girl. That flirt’s stolen so many hearts he’s lost count.

                “Yeah, he sits next to me,” I confirmed.

                “So not only is he near you for 3/4ths of the school day, but he also wants to walk you home?” Heechul wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, “this boy is merely not offering a friendly gesture!” Heechul stuck his face down close to mine and I pinched his nose to cut off his breathing.

                “Ae-Young!” His voice was high pitched and his mouth was gaping for oxygen. I began laughing hysterically at his face and clutching my sides.

                “That wasn’t nice!” Heechul pouted and rubbed his nose.

                “Who said I was nice?” I corrected. I fell quiet and realized Donghae had said so…..

                Aish, get him out of your head! I blinked furiously to bat away the mental image of his face.

                “Stop reading too much into it guys,” I tried to reign in the imaginations of mostly Leeteuk, Sungmin, and Heechul, “Donghae is new here, so he’s just probably trying to make friends with me.”

                “Uh huh,” Heechul ignored me.

                “Sure,” Leeteuk sarcastically agreed and went into the kitchen for food. I sighed and realized there was someone missing.

                “Where’s Henry?” I asked no one in particular. If Heechul was over, Henry would not be in the same room as the twins, and usually escaped from them in the living room.

                As I said that, Henry came trudging from down the hallway into our main living space.  His posture was slightly more hunched over and a frown was set into his face, so I knew something was wrong.

                “Henry-ah!” I jumped up from the couch and skipped over to him. He smiled, but I could tell it wasn’t a true one because of his eyes, “Is everything ok?” I asked.

                “…Yeah, everything’s fine. Why?” He lied and tried to get me to believe otherwise. I’ve known him for so long now, that I knew he wasn’t alright.

                “Are you sure?” I surveyed him, “You look a little pale,” I brought a hand up to his forehead and felt for a fever just in case. He shied away from my touch and brought my hand down with one of his. Now I was really confused. He’s never done that, no matter if he was obviously in a really bad mood.

                “I’m fine,” Henry repeated firmly and left me to go into the kitchen. I watched him silently. There was something going on with him that he wanted to keep a secret. He’s never kept a secret from me, so I don’t care how personal it is, I was going to find out one way or the other.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

                “This is a really bad idea,” Leeteuk shook his head at me in disappointment.

                “No it’s not! Why don’t you come with me? It could be fun!” I ignored Umma and slipped on one of Zhou Mi’s many fedoras.

                “Stalking Henry for the day is an invasion of his privacy! And what if you get caught!” Teukie continued to scold me. I placed one hand on his shoulder and he raised one eyebrow.

                “Umma, I’m not going to get caught,” I assured him, “And I promise you’ll be the first person I tell if I dig up any dirt on Henry. Hey, for all we know, he could be a secret stripper at the club not too far from here.” We did live close to the school and in a good part of town, but there was this random club 5 streets over that none of my brothers would let me get too close too.

                “I’ll see you later!” I opened up the door before he had another chance to get a word in. I could hear him sigh loudly as I snuck quietly out the front door and Yesung ask where I was going. Dressed up in a fedora, oversized sweatshirt, dark jeans, and big sunglasses that practically covered my whole face, Henry or anyone else in my school probably wouldn’t know it was me.

                Henry was still acting the same way as he did the other night. He was sort of distant from me and made sure he was in a different room, away from me. For example, this morning I was in the kitchen and he turned around and went back in his room! It wasn’t until I was in the bathroom did I hear him come out, grab something quick to eat, and then leave. If he was trying to fake that he wasn’t hiding something, he could have at least done a better job.

                I ended up a ways from the house and into the busy and more densely populated part of the district we lived in. Cars passed by quickly in the streets, stores were packed in tightly like sardines, the cafes and restaurants barely had enough room to get three to four tables in front of their buildings for outside dining. This entire district wasn’t like that, but it was for about 3 blocks.

                From where Henry “claims” to be going, he should be at a music store where he buys his supplies for his violin. I think he mentioned he needed the stone thingy that players rub up and down their bows. What was the name? Raisin? Rosin? Rosin, yeah, that’s it….

                 I stopped at the edge of the music store’s window and peered in. Sure enough, Henry was in there with his violin strapped to his back. He was browsing through something on a shelf, but I couldn’t see what it really was because of the awkward angle my head was positioned at. As he casually wandered around the store I could see he was wearing the hat I had bought him for his birthday. It had a maple leaf on it along with capital, black letters displaying CANADA. He told me he had been born in Canada, so I bought it on an impulse when I saw it at a touristy-like shop. I smiled at the memory.

                Henry paid for whatever he placed on the counter and exited the shop. I slunk back, tipping my hat down, and looked out from the corner of my eye to wait for him to gain some distance up the sidewalk. After I assessed that it was a reasonable length between us, I began my stalking routine again. Stalking…hmm, that’s such a creepy word……I’ll use “strongly pursuing” instead.

                After a few minutes, Henry went into another building. When he didn’t come out after a minute or two, I scuffled over to see what kind of place he went into. In white lettering on a glass window, it read Symphony’s Music Center. Oh yeah, every Saturday Henry had violin lessons. Crap! That means I’ll be waiting an hour for him!   

                The whole street I was on was full of stores for music, clothes shopping, and gaming. So yes, I could waste some time in any of those places, but I didn’t eat breakfast so I was starving! I can’t believe there isn’t one place with food on this block. Poor design choice if I say so myself. I pulled off my hat and ran a hand through my hair in frustration.

                “Ae-Young?” A male voice said my name. I snapped my head up to where the voice came from. The owner stood there in front of me wearing casual street clothes with his piercings and all.

                “Donghae?” I blinked and put my hat back on, “Are you stalking me or something?”

                “I actually live not too far from here,” He pointed back up the street, behind him, “And what’s with you, still talking informally to your Oppa?”

                “Oppa? We’re in the same grade! How do you know you’re my Oppa? I could be your Noona?”

                “What’s your birthday?” He crossed his arms.

                “November 25th.”

                “October 15th! Ha, I’m your Oppa!” He grinned in victory.

                “Yeah, yeah,” I waved him off.

                “What’re you doing here?” He asked.

                “Stalking,” He gave me a weird expression at my response.

                “Stalking….who?” Donghae asked unsurely, contemplating if he really wanted to know.

                “My friend, Henry.”

                “Henry….oh, you mean Henry Lau?”

                “Yeah, him,” I nodded and snuck a quick glance behind Donghae at the music center.

                “Why are you stalking your boyfriend?”

                My eyes widened at Donghae’s comment and I began to blush furiously for some reason. It was like I was a little kid being caught in the act of doing something bad. I shouldn’t be embarrassed anyways. Dating Henry wouldn’t be anything shameful.

                “He’s not my boyfriend!” I almost shouted back.

                “Oh, so you like him then? That’s why you’re stalking him? That’s a little creepy….” I could tell he was teasing me now.

                “Aish! No,” I shoved Donghae, “Henry’s my best friend. I can’t imagine dating him.” I somehow felt as if a heavy weight lifted off my chest. Donghae’s eyes seemed to sparkle more.

                “Don’t you have any girl friends?”

                I thought about this for a moment carefully and chewed the inside of my cheek, “No….not really.” I shook my head.

                “Wow, I was right, you’re definitely not normal.”

                “Hey!” I laughed at him, “What’re you doing out early this morning?” I changed the subject.

                “I heard there was a new arcade opening up down the street, and I wanted to go check it out.” He nodded in the direction behind me.

                “All by yourself? Loner….” I stuck my tongue out. It was weird. I was never this playful around people I barely knew, but somehow I could feel that Donghae was an exception.

                “….Then come with me,” He had his hands  stuck in his pockets and rocked back on his heels.

                “Go with you? I have to wait for Henry,” I glanced back at the music center. Donghae wanted me to go out with him? Well, not go out really, but it’s almost like this was a…..date?!

                “Who knows when he’ll come out? Standing here doing nothing has gotta be boring.”

                I shifted from foot to foot, slowly falling prey to this cute guy, “I don’t know……-”

                “I’ll pay for the games,” Donghae offered. That had me sold. Free games? Who wouldn’t pass that up!

                “….Okay,” I tried to control my excitedness, “Just so you won’t be a loner any longer.”

                “Hey! I am very popular!” He exclaimed and we began to walk down the street, away from the music center towards the arcade.

                “Yeah, with the girls,” I commented.      

                “I see no problem with that,” He teased.

                “Of course you don’t,” I laughed and rolled my eyes, “Didn’t you say yesterday you were meeting up with Eunhyuk?” I remembered back to our previous encounter.

                “I am, but not till later.”

                “I see,” We reached the arcade. Inside the modern, white building were all types of games. Crane machines, go karts, photo booths, dance revolutions, and many more. Some of them I had actually never seen before.

                “Which one first?” I asked Donghae, scanning the many rows of games filled with other people. It was quite crowded for it being so new.

                “Hmm,” His eyes landed on a fighting game, “that one!” He pulled me over to the stationary object casually. For some reason, there was that burning sensation back where my heart should be. It made me forget how hungry I was and my real motivation for coming out to this part of town today.

                “Um, what is it?” I tilted my head to the side in confusion. It was a square-like thing with a dashboard of buttons and a joystick. A small chair sat in front of the screen.

                “This? I’ve played it a couple times with some other friends from my old school. One person sits on this side,” He pointed to the chair, “And one on the other side where it looks the same. From there, two people will choose their characters and brawl it out.”

                “Brawl? Ooh, you so fancy!” I giggled and sat down on the chair. I faced  a still standing Donghae.

                “Well new kid? We gonna play or not?” I rolled up my sweatshirt sleeves. Dongahe grinned.

                “Game on!”

 _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

                Well, I’ve discovered yet another thing I’m not good at. The first would be math (I can’t stand the thing!), dancing (I have two left feet), wrapping gifts (I always end up rolling out too little or too much paper), and fighting games. I didn’t even have a chance against Donghae. Sure, it’s to be expected he would win the first time around, but even after I demanded rematch again and again, I still lost.

                To “save the game from my many fails” as Donghae so eloquently put it, we wandered around aimlessly, trying other games. The simulated go karts were fun, target games were a bit tricky, and both of us couldn’t seem to get the simplest of stuffed animals from the crane machines. It would always fall out no matter how well we placed the crane. That machine was cursed.

                “Good riddance,” Donghae scoffed at the crane machine that had been toying with us forever.

                “We should give up. It’s clearly outsmarted us,” I sighed.

                “Agreed.” Donghae nodded and let go of the joystick. We solemnly stared at the fish we were trying to snag. It was cute, a pale blue with cartoon-like features.

                “What next?” Donghae turned to me. My stomach answered for me. It growled viciously and I clamped both my hands on it.

                “Food, I’m assuming?” Humor was written in his eyes.

                “Please!” I groaned. There was a small vending machine near the bathrooms on the bottom floor. Since Donghae had wasted a ton of money already, I volunteered to pay. I got a bag of chips and he chose a Hershey’s bar. We were strolling back to where we came when Donghae noticed something. He stopped suddenly and poked my arm. I looked over to see what he was staring at and my jaw dropped.

                A kid, couldn’t have been older than ten, was playing on our cursed crane machine. He was skillfully maneuvering the joystick back and forth with concentrated eyes. A press of the red button and the claw descended on our fish, grasping it firmly in its zigzagged teeth. The next thing you knew, the kid was skipping merrily off with the fish in hand. Donghae and I faced each other with gaping mouthes.

                “He. Got. The. Fish.” Donghae was still flabbergasted.

                “From the cursed crane machine,” I continued in disbelief.

                “He’s amazing.”

                “I know.”

                “Bow down to the Crane Lord!” Donghae made bowing motions with both arms extended to the kid’s retreating form. I did the same.

                “We’re really sad people,” I sighed, “We spent who knows how long and how much money trying to get one stuffed animal, only for some kid to come by and win it in one try.”

                “Eh,” Donghae waved him off, “we loosened it for him.” I laughed and chewed on a chip. I  reached into the bag to only find that it was empty. Donghae still had almost all of his chocolate bar left, and I was still hungry. When he was looking the other way I moved my head over and clamped down on the chocolate bar. He felt the pressure on his food and looked down at a strange girl eating half of his candy. I regret nothing.

                “Yah! Kim Ae-Young!” Donghae yanked it away and I managed to slip out the whole chocolate bar into my mouth.

                “Mmph?” I cocked my head to the side, full of food and unable to talk.

                “That was mine!” He crumpled the wrapper and threw it on the ground, “You’re gonna get it!”

                “Eek!” I shoved the bar to one side of my mouth and ran away in the opposite direction. I weaved in and out of the games and people easily while Donghae seemed to getting stopped repeatedly because of groups of kids that would run across his path. I headed straight for the huge section of photo booths.

                “He’ll never find me!” I was currently hunched over on top of a seat in the photo booth, surrounded in darkness. I began nibbling slowly on the bar to make it last longer. It was so good!!

                There was the sudden appearance of white sneakers underneath the curtain of the booth, facing towards me. My eyes widened and I scooted farther back into the corner. It wasn’t him, right? I knew I lost him a couple minutes ago. The curtains abruptly swished open and there stood Donghae.

                “Found you, you little thief!” Donghae smirked. I grinned innocently with two rows of the chocolate bar still sticking out of my mouth. He stepped into the booth and I panicked, seeing that I had nowhere to go. I scrambled up the wall, and he placed both hands, one on the wall and the other on the seat corner, trapping me easily.

                “Surrender?” He questioned and raised one eyebrow. I blushed and shook my head violently. For some reason, I thought that being this close with him made him more…..attractive?

                “Fine, then I’ll be taking this…” He moved his head closer to mine and my heart pumped wildly. I began feeling a strange shortness of breath and anxiousness. Anxious, what was I anxious for?

                Donghae barred his teeth with great precision, and bit down on the protruding chocolate from my mouth. Our eyes locked and I was lost in a never ending sea of brown. No, Hershey chocolate brown. I came to my senses and tried to slip from the booth. But since it was so dark, I had no idea where I was going, and the next thing I knew I was falling. Donghae reached for me, but tripped as well.

                I moaned as I felt the hard floor against my back, and two hands pinning my long hair to it. There, on all fours above me, was Donghae. With his hands placed near my head and legs on either side of me, it’s obvious what people would likely think.

                “Younggie?” A voice came from behind me.

                I spit out the chocolate, “H-Henry?!?!”

             

                So.......whadda ya think? I literally wrote the last 5 pages in an hour on some kind of writing streak. Don't know where it came from, but it was probably from 4 minute, Nu'est, Shinhwa, B.A.P, and EXO. Ohh, btw, I now know Exo-k's names!!!! YES! victory! Please comment and stuffs!  :)