your average fairytale

Up in Flames

chapter three

The weather is fair, not a cloud is in sight, and it actually feels like spring and not winter. Sehun has a monster grip on his wrist, his nails almost digging into Lu Han’s skin. The latter doesn’t appreciate being dragged down the street in his slippers (because Sehun didn’t have enough patience to let him slip on proper shoes) but there is not a thing he can do to stop the determined boy.

Sehun doesn’t let go until they get on the bus that leads to the shopping district. Grumbling, Lu Han rubs at his wrist.

“There was no need for you to be so aggressive.” He glares at Sehun.

All he gets as an apology is a shrug and a flippant wave of the hand.

“Are you going to apologize at all?”

The younger scoffs. “No. You were holding me up, trying to keep me from my bubble tea. If anything you should be apologizing to me.” He turns to look at Lu Han with the same sweet smile he gave to Sehun earlier when talking about the espresso guy.

Lu Han takes it back. Both of his friends are total s.

“Oh! This is our stop.” Sehun jumps up from his seat when the bus starts to slow to a stop and reaches back to grab Lu Han’s wrist. “Let’s go.”

Oh, not again, Lu Han thinks. He resigns himself to being pulled around and occupies himself with not tripping over his feet to keep up with the quick strides of his overexcited friend.

 

The shop they’re going to is a small place squished in between a clothing store and a convenience store. It’s a cute little shop with pale violet painted walls and small round tables and booths. Aside from bubble tea you can get smoothies and soda and little sweets but Sehun doesn’t allow the purchase of such taboo products. For the most part it’s frequented by middle and high school girls and couples and Sehun, but every once in a while a wild Lu Han will appear dragged unwillingly by the wrist (or the hair). It’s gotten to the point where the workers and Sehun know just about everything about each other’s lives and Lu Han has started to hate bubble tea with a burning passion.

“Sehunnie! It’s been three days. We were starting to think something happened to you!” The girl at the counter greets with a cheery smile and a cute giggle.

Waving, Sehun skips over to the counter, still pulling Lu Han along. “I would have been here sooner if someone,” he glares at Lu Han who ignores him, “wasn’t obsessing over a guy he doesn’t even know.”

The cashier girl looks at Lu Han, giving him a sly smile and winking. “Has someone caught your eye Luhannie? What does he look like? What’s his name?”

Lu Han waves his hand, denying all accusations. His face still heats up in embarrassment. “I’m not interested him in that way, Luna. Sehun is just saying weird things.”

“Oh, come on, Lu Han. You looked like the world was ending when you realized you didn’t know the guy.”

Luna leans over the counter, her hands propped up on the surface, interested. “Wait a minute. Let me get your drinks and then I want you to start at the beginning of this story -”

“I don’t think that’s necessary…” Lu Han interrupts.

“Mango for Sehunnie and pearl green tea for Lu, right?” Luna continues speaking as if Lu Han hadn’t said anything.

Sehun shakes his head. Lu Han doesn’t like the permanent smirk on his face. “I think I want passion fruit instead of mango this time.”

“Feeling a little adventurous, aren’t we? I’ll be right back.”

As soon as Luna turns around Lu Han shoots Sehun the darkest glare he’s ever used in his life. It doesn’t seem to faze the younger boy who sticks out his tongue.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Lu Han pouts. This is not what he considers a good time. First, he had his dreams crushed, then he was dragged out of the house, and now he’s being bullied by Sehun and Luna. The only thing that can make this day worse is if someone told Lu Han his puppy ran away. (It’s a good thing he doesn’t have a puppy).

“One passion fruit bubble tea for Hun baby and one pearl green tea for Mr. Grumpy,” Luna chirps upon her return. She slides their drinks across the counter and as soon as Lu Han gets a firm grip on the plastic cup, he slips the fingers of his free hand into his front pocket and pulls out the proper amount of money for his drink. Tossing it onto the counter, he storms out of the shop. He pretends he doesn’t hear Sehun and Luna laughing behind him.

He stomps down the street and to the bus stop, muttering to himself all the way about how Sehun’s a lunatic and needs group counseling for his bubble tea addiction and his loose mouth. He talks to himself for about five minutes and when he’s exhausted himself he begins to chew on his straw, still not taking a sip of his drink yet.

 

“Every time I see you you’re talking to yourself.”

When Lu Han jumps in surprise, he bites his tongue. He turns around, ready to yell at the person behind him. He stops, however, when he sees who it is.

It’s the espresso guy with the nice smile.

Chuckling, Lu Han takes a long swig of his bubble tea to hide his nerves. A series of tapioca pearls flow through the straw and down his throat. He tries not to choke and die in front of the guy he’s been thinking about for the past couple of days.

Once he’s sure he doesn’t need the Heimlich, he offers the short stranger a smile. “It’s funny how I keep embarrassing myself in front of you, isn’t it?”

Espresso Guy tilts his head to the side and purses his lips. “I didn’t say that. I think it’s cute. You were really serious during the rehearsals we had together. Didn’t think I would ever see you like this.”

At that Lu Han stops drinking. “Rehearsals?”

“You don’t remember me.”

Lu Han's heart drops and he's sure he has hurt the stranger with his forgetfulness. He bows his head. “I’m sorry.”

“Don't be,” the other says. “We never really talked much anyway.”

Nodding, Lu Han continues to nurse his bubble tea. The two stand around in an awkward silence, eyes gazing around their surroundings, until Lu Han cracks it with a clearing of his throat.

“So..we attend the same school?” he asks, hoping to clear the air. The better question is: where is the bus to save him from this uncomfortable situation? Trapped in his own musings about the bus, Lu Han misses the ever so slight grimace that mars the other’s face.

“Actually,” the other guy starts, turning to look at the line of shops down the strip. Lu Han follows his gaze to a frozen yogurt shoppe appropriately named Freeze, “we don’t. I’m a student at the Seoul Institute of the Performing Arts. We had a joint charity concert a few months ago,” he explains, chuckling nervously.

Lu Han looks at him with wide eyes.

The Seoul Institute of the Performing Arts.

The Seoul Institute of the Performing Arts.

That charity concert was quite possibly one of the worst decisions their schools could ever have. It wasn’t a secret that Lu Han’s institution, Gongyeon University, and the Seoul Institute for the Performing Arts (SIPA, for short) were something akin to rival schools. They're like two kids on a see-saw — they play nice for their parents and the other spectators but secretly they want to send the other flying off the seat.

One of the acting students from SIPA was sent to the hospital with a broken arm after getting in a fight about an acting improvisation scene with another student from Gongyeon. In the end, four of the twelve acts had to be cut out because there was too much team spirit and not enough cooperation.

This espresso guy with the perfect style and the adorable smile comes from that school, is supposed to be his enemy.

Well, isn’t this your average fairytale?

 

Gnawing at his bottom lip, Lu Han idly plays with his straw.

After another few minutes (seconds) of silence, the Espresso Guy speaks up again.

“Let’s just forget I told you the school I attend. I’m Kim Minseok, a third year musical theatre student.” Minseok bows and straightens with a nervous smile playing at his lips.

Lu Han returns the action. “Lu Han, but you already knew that. I’m a third year vocal music major. Nice to meet you. Again.”

Minseok chuckles and nods. “Yeah. Nice to meet you. Again.”

Lu Han thanks whatever deity that exists when the bus decides to pull up. He doesn’t catch the small frown or the tiny wave Minseok gives to him as he rushes to get on the bus with no more than an under the breath goodbye.

 


And so they meet again and Lu Han almost chokes on his bubble tea. He's classy.

So Lu Han attends Gongyeon University and Minseok attends the Seoul Institute for the Performing Arts. I tried to make them sound legit so if schools with similar names exist, it's purely coincidental.

@jhimeansluv: Thank you for calling out my poop grammar. And I know. My run-on sentence problem is a running joke with me and some of my writing friends. I try to fix them but I think I've used them so much I don't recognize them most of the time anymore :/

@fmaXp3rt: I'll see you tomorrow but ... Get at me, son <3

@dibsfortwo: Layhunhan have such a crazy friendship, right? Lu Han can't resist such a perfect smile (my bias is showing isn't it ^^). And mysterious!Minseok is love. Have to make sure he sticks around for a while here. <3

@start-to-finish: Yessss. Bubble tea. Bubble tea for life. <3

@starkey: Min bb has appeared again~~ But Kris .... Kris~~ Kris has to come as a surprise ^^ Lay and Sehun are awesome friends to Lu Han bb.

@palabra_viva: :O You're welcome (ノ^▽^)ノ~~~~♥

@gaemchau: Lu baby is already so obsessed with Minseok. The poor boy. If they met like that all Lu Han would about would be dumplings and Min's cute puffy cheeks. Sounds like a good idea to me >< Lay and Sehun are just doing what they do best~

@lastlaughlane: omg I almost didn't see this. Derp Lay needs to be everywhere and in everything. Krismin is my guilty pleasure and pretty baozi was bottom (in thought) all the way. <3

@yoonmi: the answer has been revealed~~~~~! (kind of)