Chapter 1

Evanescent (unfinished / indefinite hiatus)

-01-

Over the course of three weeks, I adapted to a schedule very much different to my high school one that seemed ages away. I’d wake up early in the morning to brew some coffee for myself whilst also multi-tasking to find an outfit that was reasonably normal; naturally, I usually ended up in skinny jeans, a t-shirt and a varsity jacket I received as a present before leaving to begin my undergraduate course. But the weather was slowly worsening as the end of September was approaching and as I dashed to my lectures or to work, I’d end up shivering pretty badly. Then again, I was on a tight budget which was still not improved despite my part time job at a nearby bookstore and the journalist position for the university newsletter I earned upon my entrance; which is why on most nights, I resulted to cheap snacks or instant noodles. Not that I complained- they were perfect for the worsening weather.

As I stepped out of the student accommodation building that was situated approximately thirty minutes away from campus, I wrapped my hands around the portable coffee mug after tugging up the rather thick scarf to cover my entire neck. The breeze was anything but welcoming and I shivered as I picked up a faster walking pace. I ignored the protesting growling of my stomach as I passed by a cafe, reminding myself that my bank statement had indicated I was far too close to having an empty card- so I quickly dashed past and turned the corner, entering through the gates of the university. Later on, when I could barely concentrate, I’d scold myself but I had little time to think about the long hours to come.

Pushing open one of the double doors, I greeted a few familiar people with a small nod before rushing to catch a waiting elevator.

“Morning, Min Ji,” I was greeted and I turned around, surprised. “Late morning again?”

“Oh, hey, Jong Hyun! I didn’t see you there, I’m sorry,” I said quickly, offering Jong Hyun the same smile in return. “Yeah, my alarm clock failed me and I’m pretty sure I’m beyond screwed right now...”

“Doubt it,” he replied and swayed back and forth on his heels. “You’re one of the best writers, Min Ji, they won’t just kick you out for being late. It’s only the first strike after all, right? I’m sure I can put a good word for you so they won’t say anything.”

My eyes lightened at the prospect. “Seriously? You would?”

Jong Hyun nodded and led the way out of the elevator the moment the doors swung open noiselessly. “Thank you so much,” I breathed, heaving a relieved sigh.

“Don’t mention it,” he waved a hand airily before turning back to give me a smile. “Just don’t look so dull in the morning anymore, Min Ji-ah, otherwise, they’d think you don’t like getting up earlier to come here and write.”

I stopped in my tracks and glared at Jong Hyun’s back a little. I knew I didn’t look terribly gorgeous in the morning, but I tried my best.

Pft, just because hehas no trouble juggling back and forth between tuition fees and social life fees, I rolled my eyes but followed Jong Hyun nonetheless.

Kim Jong Hyun was a rather short undergraduate in his last year at university which I had met the moment I was given the job role of junior editor for the university newsletter. He was to graduate in music technology because, as I found out quickly after meeting him, Jong Hyun had a passion for music- not to mention he had a great voice. But as great as his voice was, so was his ego and I experienced a taste of it on a daily basis. Kim Jong Hyun was always dressed very well and every shirt he wore was carefully chosen to highlight his strong arms; every lady I had come across swooned over him but my best habit was picking at his height: Jong Hyun was just an inch taller than I was. And besides being oh-so-popular and oh-so-good-looking, Jong Hyun happened to also be the main writer for the entertainment section of our newsletter; Jong Hyun was, in other words, my boss. And I really disliked it sometimes because he had a developing habit of making me do coffee for him which would not be tasted anyway because Jong Hyun didn’t drink coffee- he just liked messing around with me.

But two can play the game.

We stepped inside the rather large room, filled with computers, ringing phones and corkboards that contained notices, pictures or clippings of some of the best news articles. The room largely reassembled your typical working office and I died a little inside at the thought; if I had expected glamour when I began, I had yet to see it. I rushed off to my desk, setting the half finished mug at a distance from the keyboard and shrugged out of the varsity jacket and the scarf. There were very few memos stuck to the computer’s monitor and I quickly tore them off, arranging them in the order of most important to least important. Like expected, most of them were excruciatingly boring tasks that I, as a beginner, had to fulfil: do some admin work, interview some students, maybe some teachers and proof read the articles before adjusting them in their right column on the newsletter’s template layout. I pouted a little and heaved a sigh but began work nonetheless. Just two and a half hours before I’d have to run across the campus to reach my only lecture of one hour for the day.

Please be a good day, I prayed inwardly as I began jotting down addresses on a stack of envelopes waiting to be sent off.

But the inward prayer was cut short when the sound of very familiar heels rung out in the quiet room. A few heads turned and greeted the new entrant politely but I groaned inwardly. Today was not going to be a good day, apparently.

“Oh Min Ji,” a sickly sweet voice called out and a thin shadow loomed over me.

I looked up and bit the inside of my cheeks so hard, I hoped I did not flinch munch. Victoria Song stared down at me with hard brown eyes but an expressionless face. As pretty as she was on screen, Victoria, I found, was rather vicious off screen- especially towards me. Like I did something devastatingly tragic to her like blocking her spotlight.

“Good morning, Victoria,” I mumbled monotonously.

“Hm...” She nodded and placed a hand on her hip. “Slacking off as usual at work? Or do you think you can just take the liberty of arriving whenever you want because you’ve been blessed with the position of junior editor?”

I don’t even feel like a junior editor to begin with.

“No, Victoria, I—“

“Morning, Vicky!” Jong Hyun’s cheerful greeting rung out and I saw him come towards us with the corner of my eye. “Working hard, Min Ji, yes?” he patted my back- harder than necessary- and then looked back at Victoria. “Actually, Vicky—“

“Don’t call me—”

“—Min Ji here was running some early errands for me which is why she arrived so late and in fact,” I heard Jong Hyun fumble in the pockets of his jeans, “she still has to pick up our coffee and post those envelopes. You’re done with them right?”

Life saviour, I graced Jong Hyun and looked at him, nodding rather excitedly, glad that he jumped in between Victoria’s constant picking of my bad habits. If you can even call them bad habits to begin with. I didn’t mean to be so disorganized sometimes and subways were a luxury for the average college student like myself.

Jong Hyun pressed a few bills in my hand and after instructing me to get myself a good breakfast and come back with coffee like instructed before Victoria’s careful, analytical eyes, I quickly rushed out of the school journalism floor. If the cold air was uninviting and the indoors was heaven on earth, the positions suddenly changed and my steps were lighter as I headed towards the coffee shop with the stack of envelopes tucked carefully under my arm.

Victoria Song was a soon-to-be singer and the joy and pride of the Dance department as she gloriously won numerous awards in school organized competitions. She was also drop dead gorgeous but her attitude, according to my own beliefs anyway, was awful. I couldn’t understand why Victoria was so watchful and critical of me ever since I stepped foot in joining the school’s journalism block but I tried to not let her way of scrutinizing me get to me- I just told myself that every  celebrity or soon-to-be celebrity simply detested the soon-to-be journalist that would document their lives. That seemed fairly reasonable whenever I tried to think of why she liked making my days so gloomy whenever she decided to come by. I wondered then, as I took a sip from the steaming coffee take away cup, if she was dating Jong Hyun seeing as she mostly passed by just to see him.

Ceasing to give Victoria much thought, I allowed myself to wonder around for a little while longer to waste time. I did not want to risk running into the queen bee or I’d have to put up with another one of her snarky remarks. I especially hated it whenever she commented about the seemingly repetitive cycle of outfits I adapted to. And as much as I appreciated Jong Hyun taking my side, I still felt awfully self conscious.

By the time I had stepped back in the dull yet warm atmosphere, Victoria was long gone and, I guessed by Jong Hyun’s attitude, not in a happy mood. He dragged a chair next to mine and I tried not to mind him too much as he looked over my shoulder at my screen as I set to proof read an article regarding the continuous fiasco between the science department and the theology department- very entertaining. It was a dull season, as the fellow students that worked there liked to put it: nothing was happening and no good tips were being sent in.

“Why does she hate me?” I asked, finally, after discreetly making sure no one was eavesdropping on our conversations as they usually did.

How come Jong Hyun and you are so close?was the most famous, up-to-date question I received.

“Who? Victoria?” Jong Hyun chuckled and shrugged his broad shoulders lazily. “She hates everyone.”

“She doesn’t hate you.”

“That’s true.”

I heaved a sigh and nudged the keyboard forward a little, stopping from my arrangement of the article and rested my chin in the palm of my hand. Jong Hyun, who had a habit of acting cute, did the same and we both stared at the masses of Post It notes and small sticker photos I stuck on the tiny wall that surrounded my area. He nudged me gently and I found myself nudging him back.

“Victoria doesn’t hate you,” Jong Hyun noted at last. “She’s just distant, that’s all. Hate is too much of a broad term, Min Ji. She’s just not as adjusted to you because you were immediately taken into something that would help you pursue your dream.”

I frowned a little, not tearing my eyes away from the notes and photographs. “What do you mean?”

“She was on the waiting list of our dance department. She’s a great dancer, very flexible and all, but she didn’t impress the people that were there for her audition. You, however, were immediately accepted in with a scholarship and with the title of junior editor. And you don’t even keep up with the latest trends in Vogue! Of course she doesn’t like you yet. She’ll warm up, though, eventually. She even told me- subliminally- that she liked your witty play on words.”

I had yet to live and see the day in which Victoria would admit that she liked anything to do with me. So I just let Jong Hyun’s explanation as it was, without any further questioning, and quickly finished off my remaining tasks for the day before I rushed off to my lecture.

I took pride in being an English Language and Literature student. I didn’t exactly aim for a career in journalism particularly, but anything that could involve writing and moving about without staying in an enclosed office area for too long sounded like an ideal career prospect. Of course, nothing was set yet clearly in my mind but whenever mother or father called to check up, I’d just tell them there were far too many jobs I could aim for once I’d graduate. I hoped the monotony of my lies would pay off but they bought them so far so I could only hope they would not begin questioning my aspirations and instead, try to convince me to pursue a career in law or medicine- though law did sound fascinating. I made a mental note to save it as a potential graduate course unless I was buried in bank statements demanding their loan back.

By the time I arrived back in my shared dormitory accommodation with Ji Sun, I was pale and my fingers were numb from the cold. As per usual, Ji Sun was free on Mondays and the warm smell of what seemed to be our dinner filled me. Gladly, I kicked off my shoes and set my keys, my bag and my jacket on a nearby small table by the door and padded towards the small kitchen.

“There you are!” Ji Sun grinned and looked up from the simmering pot. “Mum sent some money over and I thought we should take a break from instant noodles.”

I walked over to stand next to her and breathed in the smell of actual soup. “That’s brilliant!”

“Everything was okay today?” she asked as I tiredly walked over to the small, uncomfortable sofa and dropped myself on it.

“Hardly...” I mumbled as I hid my face in my hands and yawned. “No articles coming in apart from the usual Evolution versus Creationism war on campus. I’ve been hearing about it so much, I doubt it can be classified as boring. Especially when it’s the only good thing to read.”

Ji Sun laughed and as I sat up, I saw her carry bowls towards our small table and I proceeded to help her. “No, no,” she shook her head, bumping her hip against mine to push me away, “you look drained enough as it is. I’ll set it all up.”

I could not argue with Ji Sun. Instead, I sat and waited, thanking her almost nonstop for our larger than usual dinner. We ate in silence for the very first minutes, savouring the traditional kimchi and the well cooked rice along with (surprise, surprise!) the juicy beef. Temporarily, I was transported back home with mom’s cooking and I was never more thankful for Ji Sun being such a fabulously skilled cook. Unlike myself.

Firstly, I lacked constant organization and time keeping, then I lacked the keeping up with Vogue’s trends and then I lacked the cooking skills. I would surely be a brilliant wife, that was one thing I was clear about!

Not.

Ji Sun cleared and wiped at with a clean tissue. “I have things to tell you.”

I looked up, blinking in slight confusion and worry. “What happened?”

“Nothing happened. Yet.”

“Yet?”

“Wait hold on,” she pushed up from the floor and walked over to her bag, “I’d rather show you since I can’t actually explain it.”

I couldn’t help but sit there, feeling completely dumbfounded and out of the loop. Surely I did not mistake Ji Sun’s card for my own and used it, right?

But when Ji Sun did a small jog back to the table, she gazed at a folded piece of glossy paper in her hand before holding it out to me.

“It caught my eye today when I was doing grocery shopping and...well, I thought I should show you seeing as you’d somehow hear about it sooner or later.”

Tilting my head to the side, I slowly tugged the paper out of Ji Sun’s hand and I noticed it was a page out of a magazine. Unravelling the cut out, I glanced down at it and I wasn’t exactly sure why Ji Sun seemed to fret over showing me a quick question and answer interview with Big Bang. Sure, I was a fan but there was nothing...unsettling about showing me this.

“Ji Sun, I don’t—“

“The other side, Min Ji.”

I flipped the page over and my eyes scanned the glossy paper and—

Oh.

Oh.

“I don’t... I still don’t see why you’re...” I looked up and pressed the paper in Ji Sun’s hand. “I don’t know why you’re showing me that... I....”

But Ji Sun knew I had realized what the source of her distress was. I quietly retreated to go to sleep shortly after we had finished our hearty meal and- being the I was- left Ji Sun to do the dishes without remembering to ask her if she needed assistance. She bid me good night as I shuffled in my bed and turned around to face the wall, pulling the covers over my head.

I did not sleep that night and whenever I tried closing my eyes to drift off to sleep, the bold headline of the article reflected back to me.

Sub-unit, EXO-M, return to Korea after a period of two months of promotions in China.