6

Be his mother.

 

Both Yul and Tiffany agreed that Tiffany will look after Kyungsan in the day while Yul goes to work, and Yul takes over once he gets off work. Tiffany agreed to move in with Yul to make it easier for them to look after Kyungsan.

She told Mrs. Lee that she was going to stay with Jessica because she wanted to get used to her new role before telling her father about it. Although her father is an open-minded man, some things aren’t that easy to accept and agree to right away.

Initially, Tiffany would bring Kyungsan to Yul’s office and Yul would teach Tiffany how to look after Kyungsan. Over a week, Tiffany learnt how to manage by herself. Though Kyungsan kept crying for Yul, he warmed up to Tiffany.

Yul’s apartment wasn’t a fancy place. It was a cozy place, 2 bed rooms, a small living room and a small kitchen. He made Tiffany stay in his room, which was bigger, and he converted his study room into his bedroom. Kyungsan sleeps in Yul’s room because of the agreement that he would take night shift.

 

It was going to be Kyungsan’s 3rd birthday soon. They decided to tell Jessica and Taeng while celebrating Kyungsan’s birthday.

A week before Kyungsan’s birthday, Tiffany told Jessica and Taeng to come over to Yul’s place. Jessica bugged Tiffany to tell her what was it about but Tiffany’s lips were sealed tight.

Jessica and Taeng arrived at Yul’s apartment. Tiffany was inside her room with Kyungsan. The other three adults sat down in the living room.

 

“So, me and Tiffany have something to tell you guys.”, Yul started.

“Two of you are finally together?”, Jessica cut in.

“No… But please don’t freak out.”, Yul said slightly pleading to Jessica.

Jessica and Taeng nodded in agreement. Yul went into Tiffany’s room and they came out with Kyungsan hugging Tiffany.

The older couple’s jaw dropped. Jessica dug her nails into Taeng’s arm, Taeng was trying to hold Jessica back from tackling Yul and slap his brains out. He could sense that Jessica was going to flip out any moment.

“We’re looking after a child together.”, Yul proudly announced.

Jessica calmed down and was relieved that none of the assumptions in her mind was true. Taeng sighed in relief and held Jessica’s hand.

Yul and Tiffany told them the whole story. While the ladies were playing with Kyungsan, Taeng dragged Yul to the kitchen.

“When are you going to pop the question?”, Taeng asked.

“Wh-What? Isn’t that a bit too fast?”, Yul replied nervously.

“Not the proposal!!! Asking her to be your girlfriend. It has been 15 years?”

“Oh. Phew. You scared me for a moment. I was thinking of asking her today. Make it more memorable.”, Yul said as he poured 4 glasses of juice.

“I know Tiffany will say yes to you.”, Taeng assured his buddy.

“I hope so.”, Yul took a sip of juice.

 

The guys returned to the living room to see Kyungsan clinging onto Tiffany and a rather disappointed Jessica.  Yul passed a glass to Tiffany and Taeng passed one to Jessica.

They celebrated Kyungsan’s birthday, cut the cake, played with the cream and the older couple bid their farewells.

Kyungsan was too tired and fell asleep in Tiffany’s arms. Yul took Kyungsan from Tiffany and told her to get ready for bed. He then changed Kyungsan into his nighties and tucked him in.

Yul poured himself a glass of wine and sat down on the sofa. He didn’t notice Tiffany entering the living room. She took a seat beside Yul and smiled at him when he was slightly spooked by the presence beside him.

They sat in silence for awhile before Yul broke the silence. Yul cleared his throat. “So er, Fany. I was thinking… would you…”, Yul broke out in cold sweat. Tiffany looked at him puzzled.

“Would you be mine?”, Yul stared intensely into Tiffany’s eyes.

Tiffany just stared back into Yul’s eyes. The silence was scaring him.

She then took the wine glass from his hand and placed it on the coffee table. Yul watched her every movement.

Suddenly, Tiffany leaned forward and hugged him. He was shocked. His arms wrapped around Tiffany instinctively. “Yes.”, the simple answer sent Yul up to cloud nine.

In one swift movement, Yul lifted Tiffany up and she squeaked. There are no words to describe his happiness. This moment was worth the 15 years of wait.

Right now, he has the woman of his dreams in his arms. “Thank you.”, he whispered.

 

Yul woke up to a little body sitting on his stomach. “Morning Kyungsan.”, he ruffled the little boy’s hair.

The couple hasn’t decide on what the little one should call them yet. They didn’t want to confuse him into calling them eomma and appa, since his parents will come back and get him. But they just didn’t know when.

Tiffany set breakfast on the table and Yul gave her a peck on the cheek. Kyungsan was amused by the sight and clapped his hands.

“I think we can teach Kyungsan to call us daddy and mommy.”, Tiffany said.

Yul thought about the idea and agreed. Kyungsan was used to his new caretakers, but sometimes he would still cry for his parents. Teaching him new words that wouldn’t replace the title for his biological parents was a good idea.