5

Be his mother.

 

Tiffany drummed her fingers on her lap while waiting anxiously for Yul.

Time seemed to be crawling by to her.

She checked her phone. It’s going to be 5 soon. Don’t worry Tiff, he isn’t late yet. You’re just early.

 

It’s already 5:30. Argh!! Is he even coming!? Maybe I should just go home. Tiffany stood up and stormed off.

 

While having a mental conversation with herself, she was stopped in her tracks by what she saw right in front of her.

“Oppa?”, Tiffany blurted out.

“Ah! Fany ah! Long time no see.”, Yul walked up to her.

“Who is that?”, Tiffany points at the toddler in Yul’s arms.

“Heh heh. What do you think? Don’t we look alike?”, Yul puts his face next to the toddler’s face.

Tiffany stared intensely at the toddler. After a good 5 minutes, Yul started laughing. Unamused, Tiffany slapped Yul’s arm and pouted.

“Aigoo, our Fany hasn’t changed has she?”

“Whatever!! I thought we agreed to meet at 5?! It’s way past 5 now! And you’re not even sorry!?”

After saying her piece, Tiffany turned around to leave.

“Eomma~”, the little toddler called out. Tiffany stopped.

“Fany ah. Can you help me?”

 

Yul sat across of Tiffany with the toddler in his arms. Tiffany just stared blankly at her cup.

“So, this is the first time we’re meeting after seven years. And the first thing you want me to do is to help you with something?”, Tiffany held the cup in her hands and stared at the contents.

“I’m sorry I was late but please let me explain.”

“Go ahead”, Tiffany crossed her arms and leaned into the seat.

“First of all, this isn’t my kid. Secondly, I was at the hospital before I rushed to meet you.”

“Omo! Why were you at the hospital? Are you not feeling well?”, Tiffany began to panic.

“I’m fine.. It’s just this little guy here. He caught a flu, so as a responsible babysitter, I should bring him to the hospital right?”, Yul the toddler’s little head.

“Phew, you scared me. So, you’re a baby sitter now? You didn’t tell me that over our emails or chats.”

“I became one yesterday. I found this little guy in my house. He’s my best friend’s son.”, Yuri sighed.

“Your arms must be tired, let me carry him.”

“Nah, I’m fine. It’s just that I need someone to look after him with me for quite a while.”

“Yul, I know that face and I don’t think it’s a while. Spill it.”

“Alright alright… This little guy’s parents split up and his dad decided to go overseas and clear his mind. He just dumped the poor guy at my house and I don’t know how he got in. And from what I know, it’s probably going to be 6 months or longer.”, Yul poured out his frustrations.

“Besides, I have a job. And I can’t look after him for so often.”, Yul sighed.

“Why don’t you put him in a childcare or with a nanny?”, Tiffany suggested.

“How can I do that?? He’s just like my son. And I want him to be cared for by someone I trust.”

“How about putting him with your parents?”

“That’s the worst option. They would think that he is mine. And I will get nagged until no end.”

“What do you want to do then?”, Tiffany said in defeat.

“I was hoping… You could… Be Kyungsan’s mother.”, Yul replied while avoid eye contact with Tiffany.

“W-W-What?! KWON YUL, AM I HEARING YOU CORRECTLY!?”, Tiffany shouted in disbelief.

“I didn’t mean in that way!!! It’s just that Kyungsan needs a proper father and mother figure…”

“What?”, that was all Tiffany could manage.

“Please Fany ah, be his mother. It’s just temporary.”, Yul pleaded.

 

Tiffany couldn’t believe that she agreed to help Yul. She is now a mother. An adoptive mother. She looked at Yul, who is playing with Kyungsan. She sighed.

Yul caught Tiffany’s sigh. “What’s wrong?”, he asked.

“I can’t believe I agreed to help you.”

“Oh come on, you’re doing something good. Don’t be like that.”, Yul placed his hand on Tiffany’s.

The contact caused Tiffany to blush.

“But why me?”, Tiffany pouted.

“Because I don’t want to experience this with anyone else but you.”, Yul said truthfully.

An awkward silence filled the room.

“Ah! Baba!”, Kyungsan waved his arms in the air trying to get Yul’s attention.

Yul tended to Kyungsan and Tiffany just watched. She had to agree that she did like seeing Yul being fatherly towards the toddler.