4

Be his mother.

 

“Tiffany, are you alright?”, Jessica checks Tiffany frantically.

“I’m alright.”, Tiffany assures her.

“YAH! YOU ERT! WHAT DID YOU DO TO TIFFANY?!”, Jessica shouted at Yul.

“Jessie.. He didn’t do anything bad. He saved me from the duster and I cried a little..”, little Tiffany tugged Jessica’s clothes.

“Fany ah, you’re still small. He might be a ert! Look at him!”, Jessica pointed accusingly at Yul.

“Jessie, no… he really didn’t do anything to me.”, Tiffany pleaded.

“Okay okay.”, Jessica hugged Tiffany.

“Er, why are you at my class? Aren’t you a bit too young to be here?”, Jessica fixed Tiffany’s hair.

“Pumpkin died last night.”, Tiffany started to cry.

 

Yul just stood there and watch the older girl comfort the younger girl. He was classmates with Jessica, who happened to be class president. He started to notice Tiffany when he and Taeng were going home together. Since Jessica lives just down the street, they would go home the same way. Jessica was always patient and protective over this younger girl. Soon he found out about her name and class. Tiffany was a year younger than them.

 

“I’m sorry for what happened.”, Yul bowed and apologized to Tiffany and Jessica.

“Ah no.. I should thank you instead.”, Tiffany bowed, then smiled.

 

“Earth to Tiffany Hwang!”, Jessica yelled into Tiffany’s right ear.

“OMO! Jessie, you scared me..”, Tiffany rubbed her right ear.

“It’s not my fault that you’re spacing out. Thinking of Yul?”, Jessica teased.

“Stop reading my mind!!!”, Tiffany ruffled her hair in frustration.

 

Tiffany handed all her work to another colleague who will taking over her position during her absence. She has no idea how long she was going to stay there. She only hopes that the trip will be a fruitful one.

After sending a few rage emails to Yul, he finally replied and arranged to meet Tiffany the day after she arrives. Tiffany is really nervous about meeting him after so long. They never really skyped because of the time difference. They did share some photos, but seeing each other in person is totally different.

When Tiffany and Jessica landed, Taeng was waiting for the both of them. Taeng dropped Tiffany off at her old house. It has been 11 years since she has been in her old house.

She unlocked the door, and was surprised to find the house clean. “Young Miss! You’re back!”, her old house keeper, Mrs. Lee, greeted her.

Tiffany hugged the old lady. She didn’t expect her to stay for so long. She remembered that her father offered Mrs. Lee to go to the states with them but the lady declined. So her father told her to stay at the old house, since she did not have any other place to stay at that time.

 

Entering her old room, memories flood her mind. The room never changed. It was still pink, though the colour did fade a little. She unpacked her clothes and went down to have dinner with Mrs. Lee.

After dinner, Tiffany went back to her room and picked her outfit for tomorrow. Lying on her bed, Tiffany couldn’t help but think of the possibilities for tomorrow. She tossed and turned but she still couldn’t sleep.

Tiffany got up and paced around her room. Whenever she has trouble sleeping, she would flip through old photo albums. But all the photo albums are in the US. She sprawled out on her bed and sighed.

She tiptoed down the stairs to watch TV. The TV was ancient. She made a mental note to buy a new one tomorrow. Tiffany watched a midnight drama until she fell asleep on the sofa.

 

-THUD-

Tiffany rolled off the sofa and fell off the floor. She snuggled into the blanket that Mrs. Lee covered her with.

 

-BANG BANG-

Tiffany’s eyes shot open.

“YAH! TIFFANY! OPEN UP!!!”, Jessica shouted from the other side of the door.

She rubbed her eyes and headed to the door.

“WHY ARE YOU IN YOUR PAJAMAS?! IT’S ALREADY 4 O’CLOCK!”, Jessica dragged Tiffany to the room and pushed her into the bathroom.

 

Tiffany stared into the mirror. “It’s 4 o’clock.. okay.. wait. 4 o’clock. I’m meeting Yul at 5.. OH GOSH I’M GOING TO BE LATE.”, Tiffany thought to herself.

She rushed to bathe and eat her first meal which was supposed to be hours ago.

 

“Jessie, why are you here?”, Tiffany asked while wearing her clothes.

“Well, cause Taeng is busy.”, Jessica admired her manicured nails.

“Right… I’m meeting Yul at 5 so I can’t accompany you today.”, Tiffany curled her hair.

“Aish! Dumping your best friend for a guy?! How could you!”, Jessica glared at Tiffany.

“I’m not the only one.”, Tiffany stuck out her tongue at Jessica.

 

Tiffany rushed to the park where she and Yul always played when they were young. “Phew, I just barely made it.”, Tiffany sat down on a bench and checked her phone.