Moving In

Switching Princesses

 

 

“You are going to head home and make sure you bring all the things important to you; you have to come back in two hours. You won’t be able to come back at your apartment anytime soon, so make sure you leave nothing important.” The Queen instructed to Haena and called one of her attendants. Haena sat across from the Queen, cradling the cup of peach tea in her hands, staring at the floating flower.

 

The Queen has decided not to wait for whatever decision she’s supposed to make. The secret’s out and the only thing they could do is to make Haena reside in the palace to avoid possible problems. One is the possible wrath and backlash of the citizens if they ever knew that she’s still living in that shabby apartment of hers. Second is for her safety; someone leaked information about her which means there are people planning something against the Royal Family.

 

The Queen noticed Haena’s dejected mood; she sighed and thought of things that could try to uplift her spirits. After all, she’s living within the palace walls and being sad and depressed wouldn’t help Haena. “Don’t worry. Just think of this as a crash course of being a princess; compare it on learning new languages. It wouldn’t be that easy, but at some point, it would be fun.” She said with a smile, but it didn’t manage to give even a little bit of comfort to Haena.

 

“I’m scared your majesty…you’re son, I mean the Crown Prince isn’t really fond of me. Then there’s the girl that was supposed to be marrying the prince before spring ends. It’s just I can’t help but feel bad; it isn’t my fault yes, but I’m destroying things in a certain way and some people’s happiness too.” Haena sighed.

 

Minseok looked worriedly at Haena; he’s assigned as her bodyguard and he is confident that she can protect her from physical harm being knowledgeable and having black belts in numerous martial arts. But when it comes to the matters of the heart, he’s at loss of what to do. He had made a promise to Haena’s grandmother that he’ll protect and shield her from anything that could hurt her; but looks like its not that case.

 

The Queen thought and decided to tell the sad truth to Haena. “The Prince…he’s just worried about things…you see, he really loves Mijin and so he feels scared and threatened which makes him act that way towards you.” Haena felt worst after hearing that the Prince loves her supposed bride. Now she feels like a villain pulling two people who love each other so much apart. “But…it is not about love anymore…this time, its all about tradition. It’s unfortunate yes, but not only because of the possibility of two people not ending up with each other.”

 

The queen looked gently at Haena, feeling a bit hurt for the things that could harm the girl. “It is also unfortunate because a kind girl like you will be viewed as the antagonist by everyone in the palace who doesn’t understand everything that is happening. I am not scaring you or anything, but most of the people in this palace could go against you. The King and I will be objective about everything; we won’t be taking sides. But I assure you Haena, there are people here that would be willing to help and protect you.” Haena did not notice the tear that escaped her eye; the tears kept falling and she cried silently.

 

“Royalty is also politics. So Haena, you have to be smart and strong to survive the suffocating world of royalty. You have to be extra strong and find allies that could help you make your stay here in the palace bearable. It would be hard yes, because some people might be supporting you because they have to, and they would betray you in a blink of an eye. But there are people who will be kind and objective enough to help you and stand by your side. You just have to find them.”

 

The Queen sat beside Haena and placed the cup of tea in her hands to the table. She held Haena’s hands and squeezed them. “It would be hard, really hard, but you have to show everyone that you are not someone evil. Show everyone that you just don’t want to give up your right without doing anything.” Haena nodded, scared of the unforeseen things.

 

Yes, she can’t just give up without doing anything, it will be hard. But for the sake of her grandmother’s wishes for her, she’ll do her best, no matter what the result will be. She’s got a resolve though—she would fight fair and square and wouldn’t be pulling any dirty tricks.

 

 

Haena didn’t have much to bring with her. All her belongings fit in one stroller and one duffel bag. She changed out from her uniform to a black flowery puff-sleeved turtle-neck blouse and a velvety skirt falling under her knees before heading back to the palace. Minseok too, went home to retrieve some of his things; as her bodyguard, he is going to live and stay at the palace.

 

Knowing that Minseok is going to be by her side managed to comfort her, and for the first time that day, she smiled. At least, she wouldn’t be completely alone and she has someone she knows she can trust. “Agassi…are you alright?” Mr. Kim asked. Haena looked at the rear-view mirror of the car and gave a small smile but did not answer. “Don’t worry too much agassi as your personal driver I am swearing my loyalty to you.”

 

“Personal driver?” she asked, surprised. Mr. Kim nodded and smiled at her. “And I am not saying this because I’m assigned to you; I could see you’re a kind girl and won’t wish harm to other people. You have my loyalty, agassi.

 

“Thank you…Mr. Kim.” She said sincerely and gave a genuine smile. She felt warmth from the man; it felt like she has someone like a father to lean on to. “You can call me Sungmin or whatever you want so you can be comfortable around me. After all, I will be with you everywhere from now on.” Haena chuckled and thought of a nickname. “Appa…can I call you appa?”

 

“Appa?! Do I look old?” Sungmin asked horrified. Haena’s laughter filled the car which made Sungmin happy. “Okay fine, you can call me appa.”

 

“Thank you…appa.

 

 

Haena was greeted by smiling Minseok the moment she stepped out of the car. They are standing outside the gates of Taeyang palace, as Haena was instructed to meet the Queen again the moment she comes back. “Ready?” Minseok asked. She shivered as the cold breeze made contact to her skin; Minseok looked worriedly at her.

 

“Yes.” She answered, trying to sound cheerful but failed. A tall man looking like a prince stood next to Minseok and smiled at her. “Hello agassi. I’m Choi Siwon and I am the head of your security team, though it’s only me and Minseok for now.” Siwon bowed at her. “Head of security? You’re a bodyguard?!”

 

“Yes agassi, I, together with Minseok are in-charge in ensuring your safety both inside and outside the palace.” Haena’s brows furrowed, not believing that Siwon is a bodyguard; to her, Siwon looks much more like a prince compared to Chanyeol. He gives off this manly and reliable aura, and he is good-looking too. Minseok looked like a baby next to him.

 

They walk the rest of the way to the entrance of Taeyang palace, talking. Siwon has answered every question Haena asks about security matters. She learned that everyday, wherever she goes outside the palace, Siwon and Minseok will accompany her while Sungmin will drive her. At night, Siwon and Minseok will take turns in guarding outside her room. “Will I have additional bodyguards in the future?” Haena asked and bit her lip.

 

“It actually depends. If you become the official princess bride, then definitely you’ll have more bodyguards.” Haena shuddered at the thought; she was somewhat hoping that she wouldn’t make it as one. “Can you please stop calling me agassi? Just call me Haena, and then I’ll call you Siwon oppa.”

 

“But it’s against the rules.” Siwon protested as Haena pouted her lips. “Even in private? I feel uncomfortable hearing people call me agassi. Please oppa?” she pleaded and gave Siwon her best hurt puppy look. “I understand…Haena.” Haena beamed and together, they entered the Taeyang palace.

 

“Hello Ms. Haena. My name’s Sooyoung and I am the Queen’s secretary. Please take a seat for a while as I call the Queen.” Sooyoung pointed at the couch and left them. After Sooyoung vanished out of sight, a beautiful lady with blonde, straight hair looked at her with scrutinizing eyes from head to toe. Haena squirmed in her seat, feeling uncomfortable.

 

“What can we do for you, Jessica?” Siwon asked. Jessica glanced at him and turned her attention back at Haena. “I see, you’ve got a sense of style in you. Looks like dressing you up wouldn’t be hard as I expected. Anyway, I’m Jessica Jung, your personal stylist.” Jessica held out her hand; Haena quickly stood up and shook it firmly. “I’ll see you around then, if you’ll excuse me.” Jessica nodded her head at Haena and went out of Taeyang palace.

 

Stylist? First I have additional bodyguard now a stylist. What’s next?” Haena asked tiredly and looked at Siwon, waiting for an answer. “Well…you’ve got yet to meet your butler and your personal assistant.” Haena sighed and flopped down the couch, suddenly feeling light-headed.

 

Haena heard clacking of heels against the marble floor and immediately stood up, thinking it might be the queen. And she wasn’t wrong; the Queen arrived with Sooyoung and two other people she didn’t know. One is a man wearing a black tux with midnight blue tie and a woman who’s also wearing black. The difference is that she’s wearing a pencil skirt and a blazer. “Hello Haena.” The Queen greeted. Haena bowed deeply and smiled a little. “You look beautiful.” The Queen complimented then motioned the unknown man and woman to step forward. “Haena, this is Leeteuk, your butler while this is Seohyun, your personal assistant.”

 

Leeteuk bowed at her and smiled, revealing his dimples. “Hello Haena agassi. I am your butler and I am in-charge in handling everything about your finances and will oversee your activities.” Seohyun then bowed after Leeteuk finished. “I am Seohyun and I’ll be overseeing your personal needs as well as your education. Royal education.” She emphasized the last two words and smiled softly at Haena; both Leeteuk and Seohyun looked at her with adoration.

 

She felt relieved in a way, though she isn’t sure if they are to be trusted. But she feel warmth from them and maybe, they are the people the Queen is telling her that will support her.

 

 

The first family dinner the royal family had after months was silent and awkward. Nothing else can be heard aside from the contact of the silver utensils on the ceramic plates. Chanyeol blamed the awkwardness to the girl sitting across from here, right next to her sister.

 

Seol Haena.

 

“Chanyeol, stop poking your food. It’s bad manners.” Mijin whispered as she wiped with the fabric from her lap. Chanyeol took a bite to his steak without breaking his gaze at Haena. Haena on the other wanted to turn into puff of smoke. The way Chanyeol’s looking at her makes her want to run away; if looks could kill, she’s dead for the nth time already.

 

“So unnie…are you still in high school?” Chanyeol’s youngest sister Sulli asked Haena, breaking the silence. Everyone’s attention, including the King was turn into Haena; she carefully chewed and swallowed her food before answering. “Yes. I’m in my 2nd year.”

 

“Ooh…you’re a year older than me, and two years younger than my oppa and Mijin unnie. You are staying at the Moon palace starting now, right?” Sulli was smiling widely at her, trying her best to make Haena feel uncomfortable. Haena can’t help but smile back at the princess. “I think so.”

 

“Mommy. Since Haena unnie is taking her lessons starting tomorrow, is it possible for us to take it together?” Sulli asked her mother. The Queen raised a brow at her because she intentionally dropped the use of formal titles. Sulli smiled innocently at her mother who just shook her head. “Well it depends on what subject. We will find out tomorrow.”

 

The Queen turned her attention to Haena and smiled. “But for now, take one refreshing shower and a good night’s sleep after dinner, alright Haena?” Haena nodded and gaw a smiled to the Queen and at Sulli.

 

Mijin was feeling worried all throughout dinner as she watched how fast the Queen and Sulli warmed up to Haena. The King too, though silent, was watching Haena carefully, a glint of interest in his eyes. Chanyeol took her hand under the table and gave it a squeeze, telling her that he’s by her side.

 


 

Okay, so as you can see, there are loads of characters introduced in this chapter. Let’s go through them one by one for further information. Most of the characters introduced in this chapter are from other groups under SME.

 

Sooyoung – of SNSD; one of the Queen’s staff.

Sulli – Chanyeol’s youngest sister; holds the title Calla Princess*.

*titles will be explained in the future chapters.

 

Haena’s Staff, Allies (?) and Friends (?)

 

Siwon – Yes, as in the Choi Siwon of Super Junior. So yeah, he’s one of Haena’s security as explained.

Sungmin – He was supposed to be Lee Sungmin of SuJu as well, but meh, his last name here is Kim. But he’s still Sungmin with different last name. haha XD

Jessica – Aside from being Haena’s personal stylist, she’s also her teacher in Manners and Etiquette. Cold at first but will become really protective of Haena.

Leeteuk – he’s going to be Haena’s butler/accountant and will be one of her loyal subjects. He’s nice and very fond of Haena, but can be scary when Haena’s safety and well-being is put on the line.

Seohyun – also very fond with Haena; will be her sister figure. Very shy and reserved but like Leeteuk, she can get tough and scary when Haena’s put into danger or any compromising situation.