Cat Out of the Bag

Switching Princesses

 

Hae Na kept tossing around her old single bed, trying to get some sleep. With all that happened during the past two days, Hae Na didn't manage to get a decent sleep, at all. She badly wanted to forget, even just for a few minutes, all the things she has learned.

 

But  seeing the Crown Prince of the country sitting inside your living room, demanding you to basically, to go away, and then meeting the Queen in some five-star hotel, telling you that you are the real Princess Bride would never make into a good bed time story, isn't it?

 

Unless you are someone who badly wants to be a princess. Which obviously, she's not. 

 

"Ugh!!!" Hae Na screamed in her pillow as she flail her arms and legs; "Why is it that difficult to sleep? It's only five in the morning too!" she gave the Totoro clock on her bedside table with a loathing look, asking herself yet again why she can't sleep. She tried to think about useless things, so that at least, for the meantime, the thoughts of princess bride can be forgotten.

 

Ding dong.

 

"Oppa!~" Hae Na called out in exasperation. It's five in the morning and here is Min Seok ringing her doorbell. She begrudgingly got off her bed and dragged her feet to the door of her small apartment. The door swung open and Hae Na was greeted by Min Seok's cheerful smile; she's crabby due to the lack of sleep, but she can't help but smile back.

 

"Oppa, do you know what time it is?" Min Seok tried to get inside but Hae Na stood at the door like a barricade. "It's five in the morning." Min Seok answered, throwing her one of his cutest smiles. His eyes turned into crescent moons, while his cheeks puffed up. Unfair, why is he so cute? How can he manage to make her not so good mood light up by just smiling?

 

Must.not.give.in. "Yes, it's five a.m. so come back later, okay?" Hae Na tried to close the door but Min Seok held on it. He looked serious for a second, but then he pouted, acting hurt. "I woke up early and bought you you're favorite food and you won't even let me in? Well I guess I'll just wolf down all this hot and freshly cooked baozis."

 

"Tss." she gave in. The mention of the word 'baozi' make her forget that Min Seok shouldn't be at her apartment at freaking five in the morning. Hae Na pulled Min Seok inside who gave her another smile. "Why are you here so early?" she asked as she opened the paper bag; the steam and scent of the freshly cooked baozi filled the air, sending her stomach into another grumble. "Well, I'm your bodyguard, so I had to be early."

 

The mention of the word 'bodyguard' reminded Hae Na of all the things she has been trying to forget, which she managed to with the sight of baozi and Minseok. "You're not my bodyguard. You're my childhood friend, my best friend, my oppa." Hae Na emphasized every word while narrowing her eyes on him. Baozi just chuckled and gave her a piece of baozi.

 


 

"I thought they won't let me travel alone, and that they'll be sending me her and there and everywhere?" Hae Na was standing outside the apartment complex, her arms crossed as she looked for a black sedan. Nothing, and it's already 6.15 in the morning; it takes 40 minutes from her house to school. 

 

"Maybe Mr. Kim's running a bit late?" Min Seok suggested as he adjusted his backpack and stood beside Hae Na. He was thinking if they should just go ahead or wait for the driver. He looked at Hae Na who gets impatient by the second. "Let's just take the bus." Hae Na looked at him, hesitant. "Are you sure oppa? I mean, what if he shows up?"

 

"Well he knows where to find you. They won't be worried anyway, you're with me. So let's go? We're going to be late." Min Seok offered his arm and Hae Na gladly took it, snaking her own to his. Together they walked to the bus stop hurrying a bit.

 

It was still early and so, there were only few people on the bus stop. Min Seok and Hae Na took the end of the line; they talked about random things, specially topics about food as they waited for the bus which will be arriving in 15 minutes. Min Seok noticed that some people and passerby are throwing inquiring glances to them, specifically to the oblivious Hae Na.

 

He ignored the stares at first, thinking that it wasn't Hae Na they were looking and staring at. But the stares grew and became more uncomfortable; some people also displayed surprised expression as their eyes landed on Hae Na, and then they'll break out to whispers.

 

Min Seok tried to shield Hae Na away from the stares; the bus came and he hurried her inside, relieve that the staring would end. Min Seok was behind Hae Na as they boarded the bus; Hae Na suddenly stopped walking which caused Min Seok to bumped her.

 

"Hae Na." he called. "Oppa." Hae Na looked at Minseok with wide eyes, formed into an 'o'. She then pointed to the newspaper a man was reading. Hae Na's middle school graduation photo was printed on the front page of the newspaper, together with the headline "The princess bride and future crown princess of the country has finally been revealed!"

 

"I thought I have three days?" Hae Na whispered softly, shocked. Some people inside the bus recognize her; Hae Na tried to ignore the whispers and staring of the passengers who keeps on asking themself if she and the girl on the paper are one same person. Some passengers where loudly talking about how much she resembled the girl on the newspaper. Few minutes later, everyone inside the bus realized that she wasn't just a look a like.

 

She's the real thing. The 'princess bride'.

 

"We should have just waited for Mr. Kim."

 


 

The school was buzzing with gossips, rumors, and conversations about the news of the future Crown Princess. Hae Na could feel everyone staring at her as she walked the hallway to her classroom. There's not much difference from the Hae Na now compared to the Hae Na pictured at the newspaper, and so of course, people would recognize her, specially her classmates.

 

The murmurs and conversations stopped when she entered the classroom, everyone looked at her and followed her with their eyes until she sat on her desk. She gave everyone a weak smile, but they just kept on looking at her, making her feel uneasy and awkward.

 

"Um. Morning?" she offered. Everyone in her class started talking and bombarded her with questions. Some of them went to her seat and they keep on asking her questions.

 

"You're the crown princess?"

"Are you going to marry the prince?!"

"You're going to be a queen in the future?!!"

 

Hae Na didn't bother answering the questions; her classmates were busy exchanging thoughts and what they think about her being the crown princess. She started tuning out their voices and started thinking of her problems. She was supposed to decide in three days time, which means that everything should have been kept as a secret.

 

But what happened?  And the title is misleading already; the article already labelled her as the 'crown princess' when everything has yet to be decided.

 


 

"What is this?!" the Queen hollered as she slammed her hands on the table, fuming about the frontpage news of Hae Na. She carefully instructed everyone who knew of Hae Na's existence not to tell any soul about it. It was supposed to be kept a secret until the day Hae Na made a decision.

 

"We're currently looking about this." the Prime Minister said and bowed. "Where is Hae Na?" the Queen asked as she took a seat and rubbed her temple. This is going to be a major headache, she told herself. The palace was in uproar; right after the the newspaper came out, the broadcast stations followed suit. The telephones at the Royal Palace Communications Department has been ringing non-stop.

 

"She's at school, your majesty, together with her bodyguard."

 

"Bring her here now. We have to get her first before the media."

 

“I’ve already ordered one of the drivers to fetch her. She’ll be here in a few minutes.”

 


 

Chan Yeol had watched the news inside the comfort of Gureum palace, his official residence. Not liking a single bit to what he had seen, he turned off the television and angrily threw the remote control against the wall; the inanimate object fell on the floor, broken. He had just watched the news about Hae Na; most people are happy about the news; finally, a new princess to join the family, they say.

 

But Chan Yeol's nowhere near happy; he's enraged. His mother told him that his bride hasn't been chosen yet; Hae Na and Mi Jin had to fight for the position fair and square. And so, the announcement about the official bride won't be happening anytime soon.

 

Has Mi Jin already seen this? He started heading to the Moon Palace where Mi Jin’s staying. Halfway there, he stopped and walked back to the direction of his parents’, the King and Queen’s official residence – the Taeyang Palace.

 

He saw the Prime Minister in the hallway as he walked straight to her mother’s parlour who looked surprised. Obviously, he wasn’t expected; he didn’t make any appointment to meet the Queen. Well, that’s what in being a royal – you even have to set and appointment and wait for approval just to meet your own mother and father.

 

“Mother care to explain to me what happened?” He bowed and asked in a calm voice. The queen looked at Chan Yeol with tired eyes, her fingers still rubbing her temples. She looked tiredly at her son, and even though she wanted to scold him for showing up unannounced, she’s willing to let it pass for now.

 

“Why are the newspapers and television networks reporting these lies?” he continued, his voice rising an octave. He’s getting impatient, he wants answers and he wanted it right now. “Chan Yeol will you calm down? And technically, those things are not lies. You know yourself that she is the princess bride.”

 

“Mother, she’s not. We have a princess bride inside the comforts of her own palace. We’ve been training her since little, remember?”

 

“Chan Yeol, we’ve got traditions; whether we like it or not, we have to follow it and the remains of it. Even if it means changing your bride.”

 

Changing my bride? As if that thing is easy to do. His hands clenched, trying his best to control his anger. “Mother can you hear your own words? You’re basically telling me to throw Mi Jin away! Did you not like her?!” The Queen looked at her son sharply, offended with his words.

 

“How can you say that to me? I love Mi Jin like my own daughter! How dare you accuse me!” Chan Yeol softened as he realizes the weight of his words to his mother. He was going overboard, not acting the way he should be. “I’m sorry.” He bowed. “I’m scared mother. I’m scared of losing Mi Jin.”

 

The queen stood up and walked to her son. She placed a hand on his cheeks and rubbed it; Chan Yeol smiled as he felt the comforting warmth of her mother’s hand on his face. “Chan Yeol, we still don’t know what will happen. We have to give Hae Na a chance.”

 

“Seol Hae Na ssi has arrived.” Someone announced. Chan Yeol stiffened at the mention of her name. What is she doing here? He looked at his mother questioningly. His mother sighed and patted his cheek. “Be nice Chan Yeol, act like a prince.”

 

“Let her in!” The Queen called. After a few seconds, Hae Na came into a view, gripping the sling of her messenger bag. She looked at the Queen worriedly; her eyes met with Chan Yeol who looked back at her with disdain. She hasn’t done anything, and yet, the Crown Prince seems to hate her already.

 

She swallowed a lump in and looked at the carpet. Before the classes started that morning, Min Seok went to her room and fetched her, saying that Mr. Kim, the man who drove her home last night was coming to pick them up.

 

The Queen sighed loudly while Chan Yeol continued looking at him, unaware that he’s giving her a disdainful look. He can’t understand why, but he can’t help but feel some hatred towards Hae Na. He knows he’s being unreasonable, but he just can’t help it.

 

“Chan Yeol, could you please leave the two of us alone? Hae Na and I have to talk.” Chan Yeol nodded and bowed. He walked slowly towards the exit; stopping beside Hae Na. Hae Na looked at him and they stared at each other for a while before Chan Yeol continued to the exit with a huff.

 

Hae Na sighed and bit her lip, feeling relieved when Chan Yeol walked out of the parlour. The Queen has noticed the little staring contest between her and Chan Yeol and she can’t help but feel sorry for Hae Na. The girl must be really tired; her eyes are deep and there are black bags under her eyes.

 

“Take a seat. Do you want some tea?”

 


 

Mi Jin sighed as she gently placed the folded newspaper in her desk. She feels worried for the unforeseen things, but she’s worrying more about Chan Yeol. Chan Yeol is all smiles whenever they’re together, but she knows that he’s just forcing it.

 

That’s one habit of his; he’ll smile even though everything is hard already. But weirdly, Chan Yeol seems to be always on the edge these past few days. Is it because of all that’s been happening? It’s really rare for him to look so serious and get mad.

 

Being mad and serious doesn’t suit him at all. He’s better laughing and smiling creepily. “Mi Jin.” Chan Yeol’s deep and husky voice which did not matched his face at all called. She looked at him with a grin on her face. “Yeollie~” she sang and walked slowly towards him.

 

Chan Yeol opened his arms, welcoming Mi Jin for a hug. The latter took a step and was soon encircled by Chan Yeol's long and lean arms. “How are you?” she asked as she leaned back, looking at his face. Chan Yeol sighed and pulled her against him, placing his chin at the top of her head.

 

“Not really good, until I saw you and held you in my arms.” He answered. Mi Jin gently pinched Chan Yeol feeling giddy. “Yah. I’m serious over here.” Mi Jin tried to control the giddiness and the butterflies inside her tummy. “Me too.”  

 

“Have you read the morning paper?” Chan Yeol asked. This time, it was his turn to lean back and looked at Mi Jin’s face. Mi Jin nodded and gave him a small smile. “I just did.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Why are you saying sorry?” Mi Jin asked, confused.

 

“Because of all that’s happening. Looks like we won’t be able to marry before spring ends.” Chan Yeol answered wistfully. Mi Jin felt a pang of sadness after hearing him; yes, looks like they won’t be marrying anytime soon. She suddenly felt the insecurities starting to surface so she hugged Chan Yeol tight.

 

“But we’re still going to marry, right?” she asked, hopeful. Chan Yeol rubbed her back and answered.

 

“Yes. We will be marrying, no matter what.”

 

 

Chan Yeol stayed with Mi Jin longer than the rules have dictated. He already broke one rule when he came to Taeyang palace unannounced; there’s no harm breaking another, right?

 

The two of them played board games, read books together, watched movies and bickered over small things. Time runs fast whenever they’re together, and Chan Yeol always enjoyed every second, and every minute of it. He was in the middle of tickling Mi Jin who was begging him to stop when someone knocked.

 

“Yes?” Chan Yeol removed his hands away from Mi Jin’s ticklish spot and started behaving like a prince. Mi Jin playfully scoffed at him when she realized what he’s doing. Mi Jin fixed her clothes and tried to straighten it with her hand.

 

“Oh, Yumi. What’s wrong?” Yumi is one of her attendants, a year younger than her. She’s training to be a court lady, and as what Mi Jin calls it, Yumi is doing her internship with her. Yumi bowed deeply with her hands clasped in front of her stomach.

 

She was wearing the usual black pencil skirt and black blazer with white polo underneath. “I’m here to deliver news.” Yumi started. She stopped speaking for a while and looked at her agassi. Chan Yeol and Mi Jin both gave her curious looks.

 

“The Queen wants me to tell you that Hae Na agassi will be moving here in the Moon Palace later in the evening.”

 

Mi Jin started feeling worried and scared; she's moving in?  

 

Here in the Moon Palace, the official residence that each and previous princess bride in training lived?

 

Which means...she'll taking the offer and train, claiming her rightful place?

 

 


Hello everyone! Sorry for making you wait for so long! 

Here's a decent update me think.

I actually willed myself to produce a chapter because I feel that I have to.

I started this so I had to see this through the end, right?

And then this story is still gaining subscribers even though I haven't updated since forever.

Thank you to the old and new subscribers!

I'll try my best to bring out good chapters! :D

I'll be waiting for your comments. See you soon!~

Or see you at IYW or DtPoPF