Chapter 5

Weak Past, Strong Future

 

YunMi’s POV
 
I woke up the next morning with an excruciating neck pain from sleeping on the couch. Quietly, I walked over to the door frame of my room to lok at the reason of my nack pan. When I looked in, MiJin’s head was laying on Sungminnie’s chest, and her hand still cluching Sungmin’s hand. The two looked peaceful together.
 
My stomach growled, signaling that I was hungry. I made my way to the redfridgerator and dug out sausages, eggs, and bacon to make American Breakfast Kimbap.
 
As the eggs sizzled in the pan, I heard someone close the door to my room. Assuming it was Sungmin, I said, “Good morning, lover boy.”
 
I turned around, and found a dumbstruck man.
 
“It- It wasn’t what it looked like. Realy. It isn’t,” he stuttered.
 
I lowered the fire and turned around, looking at him. “I know, I know. Calm down.”
 
He nodded in relief, and sat down, folding his arms and resting his chin on them.
 
“YunMi, what’re you doing?” he asked.
 
“Kimbap,” I answered, “American Style. Say it. A-Me.Ree-Can Sty-”
 
“I know English,” I interrupted in fluent English.
 
“Oh…” I said in shame.
 
“Nah. It’s fine/”
 
I brought the food over to the table Sungmin sat at, and began wrapping.
 
“So…” I began “What happened between you two last night?”
 
He sighed, “Well. When she started to calm down, I gave her a necklace with my initials on it. And then… I told her.”
 
My eyes dilated in shock, “You told her? What’d she say?”
 
He shrugged and popped a chunk of bacon in his mouth.
 
“What do you mean you don’t know?”
 
He shook his head, swallowing the bacon, “No. She said she doesn’t know if she feels the same way.”
 
“Oh…” I felt pity for him.
 
I had finished wrapping and cutting the kimbap, so I set it out on the table. The two of us started eating when he asked, “Yah. Where’s Ryeowook?”
 
Sungmin’s POV
 
I looked at her, waiting for an answer. Ahe swallowed her shar, and said, “I don’t know. He ditched me last night. Dropped me off here to go to Yuri’s birthday party.”
 
“… Oh. I’m sorry for bringing him up,” I apologized.
 
She shook her head, “No, it’s cool. Now go brush your teeth. Let’s go somewhere.”
 
I did what she told me to do, and brushed my teeth.
 
I came out and saw that YunMi had changed into a white button up and blue skirt. She was wrapping the kimbap in tinfoil and had a note that said, “Unni! Good morning! I made you breakfast! Love, Cinderella <3” 
 
She noticed that I had returned and grabbed a jacket. “To the mall we shall go forth!” she exclaimed in a manly voice, waving her purse around.
 
When we arrived at the mall, boys were once again making googly eyes at YunMi.
 
“Attracting people again, huh? Your parents must be proud!” I teased.
 
“They aren’t,” she snapped back, “My mother died giving birth to me. And because of that, my father left us. MiJin unni and I have been living on our own since she was 2. So no, they wouldn’t be proud.”
 
I was shocked at the sudden information about her history. “I’m so sorry for bring that up.”
 
I looked at her, and her head was down, tears dropping from her eyes. I knew that this time it wasn’t alright, at all.
 
We wandered in silence until something in YesAsia’s window display caught my eye. “YunMi! Look! It’s so- Where’d you go? There you are!”
 
I walked over to the girl who was staring into a window display of a dress shop. Her tears were flowing even harder and faster. Her fists were clenched up and against the glass. Her expression changed from sorrow to anger.
 
I looked in to see what angered her so much. I saw Yuri in a dress exactly like YunMi’s, except it was long in front and back. A man was sitting in the chair I sat in yesterday, he clapped, and said, “Yuri! You’re so beautiful! I can’t pick one.”
 
I recognized that voice. It was Ryeowook. This made me furious. I grabbed YunMi’s hand, and dragged her into somewhere adorable and fun.
 
We ended up in the school supplies shop. When we stepped in, a mob of kids were running around, asking their ummas to buy them this and that. 
We made our way to the back, where the supplies for kids our age were. Despite the fact that they’re supplies for kids 13+, Hello Kitty and Doremo decorated the notebooks and pencils.
 
I saw YunMi mumble, and grab a pack of purple paper and a blue pen.
 
She also grabbed a pack of blue paper and a box of pink pens. “Unni’s favorite color, and your favorite color. For Secret!”
 
We paid for everything and went home.
 
YunMi’s POV
 
Sungmin just dropped me off, and I ran up up to my apartment.
 
As I walked through the door, MiJin ran up to me and hugged my body.
 
“Where have you been? I wake up to find this note! And only this note! You didn’t even say where you were going!” She screamed.
 
I pused away, and told her I went to the mall.
 
She nodded, calming down, and we sat down. 
 
“So… How was your night?” I asked, “Is Sungmin-shi comfy?”
 
She looked at me nervously. “It wasn’t what it looked like!”
 
“Then what was it?” I asked, interrogating her, pretending not to know what happened.
 
“Well. When you and Ryeowook left… He gave me a necklace with his initials on it. And then… He said… He loved me.”
 
I acted surprised and covered my mouth. “Really? Do you feel the same way?”
 
She hesitated, “I think I do. Not so sure though. He’s my best friend, and I don’t want to ruin everything. Plus, Sunny will kill me.”
 
I put my hand on her shoulder. “If you two really love each other, nothing will stop you from being together.”
 
She nodded, mouthing thank you.
 
I oursed my lips together, “Welcome,” then ran off with my paper and pen, brainstorming on what to write and not to write.
 
I wrote everything down, and read it over.
 
“Perfect.”