Chapter 3

Weak Past, Strong Future

 

YunMi’s POV
 
The past 7 days were all the same. I had first period, then hung out with Sungmin, Ryeowook, and MiJin during lunch break. Ryeowook would always run off with Yuri in the middle of a good conversation. After being ‘abandoned’ by him, I’d turn to Sungmin and MiJin to talk about the Valentine events.
 
I walked down the hallway to get to the cafeteria after the lunch bell rang. I enetered the lunch room, searching for MiJin. Spotting her talking to Sungmin, as usual, I went over to them. As I sat down, I asked, “What? Ryeowook didn’t bother to even show up, today? New level of low.” I bickered. My bitter words surprised Sungmin, as I was always happy. Not wanting to say anything to upset me, I suppose, the two stayed quiet. After playing with his soup, Sungmin looked up and asked, “So. You guys got your dresses for the Masquerade Ball yet? Valentine week is next week.”
 
MiJin looked down at her salad, flipping the grape tomato back and forth, “No. We don’t have enough money for even one dress.”
 
Sungmin pouted, but when he thought of something, and smirked. He faked a sigh, “Oh. Same thing with a lady friend. She spent all her money on plane tickets to Korea. Now she doesn’t have a dress. I’m thinking of buying one for her. And you two are the close to the same size as her, so you guys want to go dress shopping after school?”
 
Hearing that I was going to try on many dresses, I nodded eagerly, taking away the anger in me.
 
 
The bell rang, signaling the students to go to their next class. I got my stuff from my locker, and made way to Mr. Donghae’s modeling class. On the path there, a voice called out of me. I turned around, to found a boy with brown hair and cheeks resembling a hamster. He walked to me, and propped his arm on a locker, like a player seen on movies. “Hey,” he said in a cool tone, “Name’s Henry. I’ve seen you walking around with those Sungmin and Ryeowook kids. They’re pretty drab, in the low class and all. Why don’t you come hang out with us, the high class? You know you want to.”
 
His style of talking and manneres were really the bad boy type, the kind I liked in America. But my feelings were Ryeowook were too strong to make me even think about going for this guy. The way he talked about Sungmin and Ryeowook was rude too. “Yah ‘Henry’. Sungmin and Ryeowook are cool guys. And they’re your hyungs. No thanks, too. I’ve got my mind on something and someone else,” I said, and walked away.
 
Henry kept following me to Mr. Donghae’s room. I told him to leave me alone severaly times, but he refused to listen. I finally told him to back off, making him furious. “You’re coming with me. Who couldn’t resist this?” he said back, pulling me up against him. As he cupped my face to kiss me, but a hand stopped him from doing so. 
 
“Lau. Let her go. NOW.” 
 
Ryeowook grabbed Henry’s hand, leaving a red mark on the younger’s wrist. Angry, Henry jerked his hand from Ryeowook’s hold and walked away, keeping his boy image. “Aish, YunMi-ah. Are you okay? He didn’t hurt you, did he?” Ryeowook asked as he my cheek. I quickly nodded, not wanting him to worry too much. After making sure that I was really okay, the two of us walked to class together.
 
Five minutes of akward silence made Ryeowook uncomfortable, so he broke it by saying, “Sungmin hyung said he’s buying Mi- A lady friend a dress. We’ll pick you up at your place after school, alright?”
 
I nodded, and we departed, making our way to class.
 
 
 
Sungmin’s POV
 
I took the key to the girls’ apartment from the door frame, and opened it. I walked in at the wrong time, because YunMi had a shower turban on, and MiJin was getting ready to go somewhere. “Where are you going?” I asked.
 
MiJin noticed me walk in, and said, “Oh hey, Min. Sunny called me. She said she needs help with something.
 
“Yup. So it’s just me and you Sungmin.” YunMi called.
 
Ryeowook poked out from behind me and waved, “And me too!”
 
Seeing this, YunMi squealed and ran into her room, locking the door behind her.
 
MiJin finished tying her hair up into a bun and said, “Uh-huh. So you better take care of her. She might not need it though. She’s a black belt in martial ar-”
 
“So am I,” I cut her off, “The only person around here that needs to be protected is this kid,” pointing at Ryeowook.
 
She punched me in the chest, and stuck her tongue out. 
 
After MiJin left, me and Ryeowook sat on the couches. We watched TV while waiting for YunMi. Finally, She came out in booty shorts and a tank top. “Just wait two minutes, oppa!” she said as she grabbed a t-shirt and jeans, and slipped in them right in front of us.
 
Ryeowook joked, “Where’s YunMi? What’d you do to her? She’d never do that. Or at least I don’t think she would.”
 
She threw her towel at him, “Well would you rather see me without the tank top and shorts?”
 
He smirked and laid back, propping himself on his shoulders, “Maybe.”
 
“Did you not hear MiJin unni say that I’m a black belt in martial arts? ‘Cause I heard it.”
 
“I’m just joking. Calm it.”
 
Annoyed by all the bickering, I told them, “Shut up, and let’s go.”
 
We made our way to the mall in Seoul. The place was filled with people. Even here, the boys eyed YunMi.
 
“Wow. YunMi-ah. Even here you catch everyone’s attention. You and your sisters must have good genetics.”
 
Ryeowook cocked an eyebrow at me, “What’re you saying, hyung?”
 
I rolled my eyes at him, “No Ryeowook. I do not like YunMi. And you know I have my eyes on someone else.”
 
YunMi cocked her eyebrow at me, making the two younger ones look alike. “You mean MiJin unni, right?”
 
I chuckled, and put my arm over her shoulder, covering . I leaned down and whispered, “Tell her, and I tell Ryeowook.”
 
She shot a nervous look at me, and nodded, with a pleading look in her eye. 
 
Soon, we were at the dress shop. 
 
I picked out a few dresses for her to try on, and she took them to the dressing rooms, as me and Ryeowook took seats in front of the it.
 
Ryeowook’s POV
 
Sungmin hyung and I waited patiently outside of YunMi's dressing room. We heard clothes hangers clicking, and fabric being thrown on the ground. When we heard a zip, the both of us sat up straight.
 
She unlocked the door, and poked her head out. Sungmin hyung laughed. "YunMi. Come out!" She shook her head, pouting. "YunMi~," I called, "Oppa wants to see~"
 
She sighed, and shook her head again. Sungmin walked up to her, and her eyes followed him, “What're you doing? Sungmin. No. NO!" she screamed as Sungmin picked her up and carried her over to the center on his shoulder. She punched and kicked, but he still didn't give up.
"I HATE YOU!" she yelled.
 
For some reason, I felt jealous of Sungmin hyung after seeing her in the dress.
 
This dress was really pretty. It was a little bit darker than baby blue. The bodice molded perfectly with her waist. From her mid-chest down to her mid-thigh area, was apattern of sequins. The dress was somewhat frilly. She looked beautiful in it.
Me and Sungmin hyung looked at eachother, but he shook his head, and said, "I don't think that'll fit her well." Disappointed, YunMi went back to the dressing room to try on her second dress.
 
This dress was a mini dress. Dark blue, and one strapped. The strap was a big line of blue roses. The back, had a long frilly tail. I looked over to Sungmin who had a disgusted face plastered on. "Oh GOSH no. What was I thinking? Aigoo, aigoo, aigoo," He slapped himself.
 
"Well hyung, I think she lookes beautiful in it" I blurted
 
"What?" Sungmin asked
"I said she looks beautiful in it." I blurted again. What am I saying? YunMi is like my baby sister. I can't say this. I just can't. It's wrong.
 
My thoughts were interrupted when YunMi said, "No oppa. I think it's too much. I can barely breathe with this frail thing" she said as she poked at the roses. She made her way back to the dressing room.
 
She came back out with an aqua green-ish dress on. The straps were in a V-Line going down her chest, to her middle ribs. The skirt of the dress was scrunched up, and pulled together at her right hip. To cover up the point of the pulled up skirt, sequins and sparkles were scattered into a shape of a star. I looked at hyung again, and his reaction was priceless. His eyes were wide open, jaws wide open.
 
"I like that one. She'd look amazing in that one"
 
I told her, "YunMi. Go try on the other dress. What if your lady friend looks better in that one, hyung?"
 
Sungmin shrugged his shoulders and said, "Go ahead. Give me the dress you're wearing after you're done changing."
 
She obeyed, and ran back to try on the last dress.
 
This dress was the dress I chose. A little darker than the first dress. It was also strapless. Except around her waist, was a band of sparkles lined up into a wavy pattern. In front was a low cut, but in back, was a long tail. It had 3 layers, emphasizing her long legs.
 
As she twirled and giggled in it, I knew she liked it.
 
Sungmin hyung shook his head, "Nah. I like the third one better. Your sister looks better in it. Let's go buy it"
 
YunMi's eyes dilated. "My sister? Your lady friend is my sister?"
 
Sungmin smiled, and nodded.
 
He walked off to the register, and I waited for YunMi to go change. I noticed that YunMi's feet weren't moving, she was just standing in front of the mirror. I went over to the door of the room, and knocked.
 
"YunMi," I called, "I know you're not changing. Can I come in?"
 
She unlocked the door, but hesitantly
 
I came in, and closed the door behind me. "YunMi. I know you like that dress. Change out of it, I'll buy it for you."
 
She looked at me, and said, "Oh no no no. I can't take your money like that."
 
I wrapped my arms around her waist, hoping my cheeks wouldn't burn off. "C'mon YunMi. You still don't have a dress for the ball. It'd be fun. I insist"
 
I watched YunMi's reaction in the mirror, and I knew she was happy.
 
"I'm taking the silence as a yes. Change out of it, and I'll buy it. Hurry!"
I walked out, and I heard her change. She came out a few minutes later in her normal clothes, and the dress in her hands. We walked to the counter, and place it in front of the clerk
I gave him the money, and he gave me the dress in a bag.
 
I handed the bag to YunMi, and she screeched in glee. "Thank you so much RYeowookie!" she said, and pulled me down and kissed me on the cheek.
 
My heart began racing, and I could feel my face melting. I'm not suppose to feel this way... Am I?