Chapter 4

Weak Past, Strong Future

 

YunMi’s POV
 
I skipped all the way home, excited about MiJin‘s reaction. When we reached the apartment building, I ran to our apartment. I scaremed, “Unni! We’re home!” startling her.
 
“Guess what?” I asked.
 
Before she could ask what, Sungmin poked his head through the door, and called, “MiJin-ah~”
 
Unni looked up, frowning. I didn’t know what made her act this way at such a time. But I knew this would change ewhen Sungmin said, “I bought you a dress!” as he shook the bag around.
 
MiJin slowly walked towards him, then looked in the bag. “I can’t accept this,” she blurted.
 
“Why?” Sungmin asked, shocked at her reaction.
 
“You can’t spend so much money on someone like me. Especially for no reason,” she explained.
 
“Oh there’s a reason.”
 
“Oh really?”
 
Sungmin sighed, and debated whether he should tell her. “I’ll tell you if you accept this gift. Now go try it on!” He answered, shoving the bag in her hand.
 
MiJin nodded eagerly, and ran into our room.
 
MiJin’s POV
 
I locked the door behind me, and squealed.
 
As I stripped my shirt, I saw a long red scar on my wrist. My eyes stang with tears as the memory of what had created this mark began to come to me
 
“Sunny-shi!” I cooed as I approached a dark alley. I saw emerge from the darkness and say, “Oh! MiJin! You made it! I got worried thinking you wouldn’t be able to come.”
 
I looked at her, with a confused expression. “Sunny-shi. Why did you choose here to meet? What if something happens? And no one hears us?”
 
She chuckled, leaning back on what looked like a car. She folded her arms, “That’s the point,” then snapped. The snap summoned five other girls to appear from the ebony of the night.
 
“Sunny-shi. What’s going on?” I panicked.
 
As the five girls huddled around me, she said, “MiJin, MiJin, MiJin. Silly little girl. You don’t remember, do you? Well, long story short: Sungmin’s mine. And no one elses. I told you you would regret saying that to me. No one says that to headman’s neice. You’re lucky I didn’t complain to him. If I did, you’d be out by now. Girls. Go on, you’re wasting my time. I’m not paying you for nothing.”
 
When she finished talking, my eyes widened. Before I could say anything, a girl punched me. Another flipped a blade, and one kicked me, making me fall to my knees. From the on, the nightmare began
 
The memory slowly faded away, and I felt a hot tear stream down my cheek. I pulled self together and wiped it. I slipped in the dress and took a quick look in the mirror. “Wow,” I thought, “It’s really beautiful.”
 
I unlocked the door and twirled around. Before I knew it, I was running into Sungmin’s arms, and planting a kiss on his lips. I pulled away, blushing. His cheeks turned redder than they were already were as we stared into each other’s eyes. I lost myself in those big brown eyes of his. Our moment was interrupted as Ryeowook cleared his thorat, “Ahem. I bought YunMi a dress, too!” and pulled a blue dress from a small bag.
 
Pulling out of Sungmin’s embrace, I went to bring Ryeowook into mine.
 
“You guys are too sweet. I feel really bad. We have nothing to repay you two with.” I said.
 
Ryeowook looked at me and said, “You two don’t have to repay us with anything, noona. Just your guys happiness is enough, really. Right hyung?”
 
I turned around and Sungmin nodded. 
 
“Aw. This is too much. Really, it is.”
 
“Oh really?” I heard Sungmin say, “But that isn’t it. I got you something else, too.” He bent over and pulled a big box out. He open the lid and took all of the tissue paper out, revealing a pair of silver heels.
 
I gasped for air as the shock suffocated me. I jumped on him, wrapping my arms and legs around his neck and hips. “Thank you,” I whispered.
 
He kissed the top of my head and said, “You’re so very welcome.”
 
“That reminds me,” Ryeowook interrupted once again. I looked at him dig for something at the bottom of the bag. “YunMi. Close her eyes!” He softly demanded. Even though he was talking to my sister, I hid my face in the crook of Sungmin’s neck.
 
Not being able to hold myself from watching, I rested my head on oppa’s shoulder, and watched Ryeowook place a shimmering tiara on YunMi’s head.
 
YunMi felt the pressure on her head, and felt to see what it was.
 
Realizing that it was a tiara, she jumped Ryeowook, following my steps of thanking. Her eyes glistened with tears, proving that she was extremely happy.
 
 
 
After YunMi and I calmed fown, the four of us sat in a circle, talking. As usual, we talked about the Valentine events. But today, instead of talking about the mystery girl he planned on kissing at the ball, Sungmin asked, “So. What’d Sunny call you for?”
 
The nightmare slowly crept back into my mind, making me burst into tears. But this time, tears of fear and sorrow. I threw myself unto Sungmin’s arms, making Ryeowook scream, “Oh my gosh. What’d she do to you?”
 
I swallowed dmy cies and explained what happened.
 
“She- She had people beat me! F-five of them! She s-said that if I don’t stay away from Sungmin-shi then this’ll happen again. And make sure to make sure I stay away from him, after beating me up twice, she’ll make sure I’ll be kicked out of SM. How am I suppose to know that she’s SooMan’s neice?”
 
Sungmins my head to comfort me, and whispered, “Sh…. It’s going to be okay. I promise.” 
 
Sungmin’s POV
 
After telling her that everything will be fine, she shook hear head, and slammed her fist onto my thigh. “No! It’s not okay. Because I can’t live without my best friend!” she screamed, hugging me tighter.
 
I felt her body shake against mine as Ryeowook whispered something to YunMi. 
YunMi nodded, and he said, “Hyungnim. YunMi and I are going to go out now. I think we should leave her alone.”
 
I nodded and looked down at the cring girl in my arms.
 
 
Soon, her screams turned into whimpers, and streams into droplets. As I shifted to make my sitting position more comfortable, I felt something poke my thigh. “MiJin-shi~ Are you awake?”
 
She nodded slightly, and I sat her up on my lap. I grabbed the box that was poking me before, out of my pocket. I slowly took a necklace out, trying hair to keep the SM charm from making any sound.
 
I brushed all of her hair to one side, and placed the necklace around her neck. Her hand immediately went straight to the cold charm.
 
“I want you to have this, MiJin. To show that you’re my best friend. And not Sunny.”
 
“You’re too sweet, Sungmin-shi. Just too sweet,” she said, playing with the charm.
 
“It’s nothing really. I just want you to know that I’m always there for you.”
 
“I saw her smile, and lean back against my chest again.
 
There was a long silence, until I decided it was time. “MiJin-ah~” I called,” Can I tell you something?”
 
“Mhm. Anything. If you’re always there for me, I’m always there for you.”
 
Finally, I blurted, “I love you.”
 
She giggled, “Hehe~ I love you too, oppa.”
 
I was relieved she said that, and hugged her. Until I realized she thought I meant in the brotherly-sisterly way.
 
“No, MiJin. I love you.”
 
I looked down at her and found a shocked girl.
 
“O-oh,” she stuttered. 
 
“I know this isn’t the right time to say this. But I really love you, and I couldn’t keep it in. Ever since that day you’ve bumped into me. Ever since that day. And that’s why I wanted you to have that necklace. Not as a symbol of friendship, but as a symbol of my love for you. You’re my best friend. But you’re also so much more than that to me. Do you accept my confession?”
 
She opened , but the bricks that just hit her kept her from doing so. She shook her head, getting a hold of herself, and said, “I don’t know… I’m sorry.”
 
I escaped from under her, “No, no.. I’m sorry for telling you at such a time like this. Obviously it isn’t helping the situation with Sunny. I’m so sorry. Why don’t you go to bed? I’ll go make you some tea.”
 
I turned to go to the kitchen, but her cry stopped me. “Oppa~ Carry me.”
 
I obeyed and picked her up bridal style. She cuddled up and squeezed my hand. She was extremely tired and confused. She looked so innocent and beautiful in a peaceful doze.
 
I reached her bed and lay her down gently.
 
“MiJin, I’m going to make to for you. Stay here,” I informed her.
 
Her hand squeezed mine tighter as I tried to let go. “Don’t leave me alone,” she mumbled, “What if Sunny comes? Oppa stay and protect me.”
 
I nodded and laid down next to her. “Sunny made you delusional,” I said, “Go to sleep.”
 
She nodded, and rested her head on my chest. I kissed her on the head and bid her good night, saying one last, “I love you.”
 
MiJin’s POV
 
I laid my head on his chest, hearing his heart beat slowly. Soon, he was snoring. I looked at him and thought, “He really does love me.” A feeling of guiltiness and excitement rushed over me. 
 
To be honest, I liked him. But I was unsure if I loved him. I looked at him and saw that he was peacefully asleep. His snoring indicated that he was in a deep daze. 
 
I reached up and kissed him. I lay back on his chest whispering, “I’m so sorry…”