Chapter 2

Weak Past, Strong Future

 

YunMi’s POV
 
MiJin unni drove us to school the next morning with a big smile. I could tell she was excited. On the other hand, I was extremely nervous. 
When we arrived at the academy, she stepped out of the car asking, "YunMi-ah. You excited for today?" She slammed the door shut, and looked at me over the car's hood, waiting for an answer. The uneasiness in me swallowed my tongue, preventing me from saying anything. So I just shook my head. 
 
MiJin went over to my side of the car, and put her hand on my shoulder, “YunMi-ah. We have to do this. For umma.” Hearing that this was for umma, my emotions flipped from nervous to eager. I linked my arms with hers, and the two of us headed into the school, chins up. 
 
We walked down the hallway that the man in black led us down yesterday. The both of us jerked our heads left to right, searching for our homeroom. Soon, MiJin unni found her’s. She kissed my forehead, and said, “Cho YunMi, fighting!”
 
 I watched as she walked over to her classroom, looked back at me one more time, and entered. I sighed at the feeling of loneliness beside me. I searched for my home room. “Mr. Leeteuk… Mr. Leet- Ah! Here it is.”
 
I took a deep breath as I turned the door knob to find faces staring up at me with awe. A tall, skinny man, whom I assume was Mr. Leeteuk, told me to introduce myself in front of the whole class. “Hello, my name is YunMi. I am a student from America, so please do not feel offended if I say something incorrectly. Thank you.” After introducing myself, Mr. Leeteuk told me that there was still 10 minutes left until school really started, so I found  an isolated table in the corner. As I made my way their, a few boys whistled at me, making me redder than ever. 
 
I took out my paper and pencil, deciding to kill time by drawing. I drew me and my sister in peace, until a tall girl walked up to me. “Hey. So you’re YunMi, huh? The new kid? SooMan must have been in a good mood. Because he would never let a poor, filthy rat like you in,” she said, looking at me up and down. Usually, if someone were to say this to me, I would break down crying. But for umma and MiJin unni, I stayed strong, ignoring her, and continued drawing.
 
The girl’s eyes averted from my clothes to my hair. “Wow. Look at this. She’s so poor, she can’t afford a haircut. Let alone scissors.” Her hands moved from twirling my hair, up to my hair tie. She yanked it, making the hair tie snap, and my hair fall down. Around us were a bunch of girls laughing, and a bunch of boys in awe at my long hair. I even heard a few, “Wow. Long hair, just like a princess. Heck, she is a princess.”
 
Remembering what MiJin said, I continued ignoring her. My silence made her furious, and she raised her hand to slap me. “Yah. Who do you think you are? You dare ignore me like that?” 
 
As her hand was close to impacting my cheek, a hand grabbed her wrist. Then a familiar voice said, “Yuri. Stop it. She’s new. She probably doesn’t want to give a bad impression. Take it easy, chill.”
 
Yuri jerked her hand out of the boy’s grasp, and walked away, revealing the voice’s owner. It was the angel boy from the auditorium yesterday. Wow. He looked even better up close. 
 
He looked at me and said, “Hi. I’m Kim Ryeowook. Sorry about Yuri. She’s very… Tempered? Can I sit with you? You seem like you don’t bite.” He laughed. Oh gosh. His face, his voice, and his laugh is perfect? I let out a small giggle, and pulled out a chair for him. As the two of us sat down, I looked back at Yuri, to find her and a group of friends pointing and laughing at me.
 
Today’s going to be a long day.
 
 
MiJin’s POV
 
After Mr. Hyukjae introduced me to everyone, the bell rang. Assuming it was the bell dismissing the students to break, I excused myself. I was walking towards YunMi's class until the boy she pointed out earlier approached me. "Hi MiJin. I'm Sungmin," his hand reached out t shake mine, "Lee Sungmin. I just wanted to thank you again for helping me pick up those papers yesterday." He shyly smiled and blushed as I returned the gesture. 
 
"No, its fine. It was my fault for not paying attention," I said back, smiling.
His small smile turned into a gummy grin. He really is cute. He was tall, had brown highlights, had an adorable smile, and the cutest face you could ever imagine. Sungmin really is a flower boy.
 
I lost myself in his eyes, until he said, "Hey, MiJin-shi. Y-you wanna to go grab something to dri-" He was interrupted by a girl running up to him. 
She did aegyo, probably the most disgusting aegyo ever, and whined. "Sungmin OPPA! Hi~ How are you? Have you eaten yet? Did you get enough sleep last night? You look tired!" What she called aegyo was disgusting.
 
Sungmin looked at her with a frightened face. "Oh... Hi Sunny. Yes I slept well last night. No I am not tired. And no. I have not eaten yet. I'm going with my friend MiJin." He said, pressing his lips together, slightly nodding, and pointing at me.
 
Sunny looked glared at me. Then she smirked. Sungmin and I watched as she stepped back, bumping into a boy, making him drop his phone. "OH! Let me pick that up for you Oppa!" She said in the most irritating voice. She bent over, rubbing her hip on Sungmin's leg.
 
Her skirt was so short, and her top was missing an undershirt.
 
Sungnin's face turned into a disgusted face. And he was obviously uncomfortable in this situation. Having enough, I pulled on her shoulder to make her stand up straight.
 
 
"Yah. Sunny. You're so young, and yet you're showing your body off like its the only way to save your life! Have some self respect. With such little knowledge of keeping your skin covered and hidden at your age isn't good. Unless you want to grow up selling your body. If that's the case, might as well start now.”
 
“Your top should be over a longer shirt. And your skirt should not be shorter than your underwear. Cover up. Its good for you."
 
I'm guessing I was loud, because my speech had drawn in a crowd.
 
The group of curious kids around us was surprised. There was a silence, until one student began clapping, encouraging the other kids to follow his actions. Soon, everyone was clapping. 
 
Sunny had a shocked look on her face. "Excuse me? You dare say that to me? Ha. You're going to regret this, MiJin. Just watch. Watch." She threatened, then stormed off.
 
I found the situation funny. What a lunatic. I walked to Sungmin, "C'mon Sungmin-shi. Lets go eat,” pulling him through the crowd. As I was making my way out, I heard a couple voices say, "Beautiful and brave. What a goddess"
 
I blushed. As soon as me and Sungmin finally escaped the tight atmosphere of the crowd, I saw YunMi run up to me, panicing. "Unni! What happened? Did you get into trouble already?"
 
"No, YunMi. Notthing happened." I said as she checked my body for bruises or cuts. Finding no marks, YunMi turned her attention to the figure next ti me. "Oh. Hi Oppa!" She waved.
 
As soon as she realized that he was the boy who I bumped into yesterday, she looked at me and winked.
 
I looked at Sungmin to see his reaction, and found a ball of cuteness. He wad pouting, not know what the wink meant.
 
There was a short awkward silence between the three of us, broken by me pulling the two to the cafeteria.
 
As we entered the packed the room, YunMi gasped in amazement, “Wow! This place is huge! Unlike the one in America. We would always sit on the floor together. Remember?” Sungmin smiled at her cuteness, and laughed.
 
The three finally found an empty table, and set our stuff down. Sungmin had left to go get yogurt.
 
Being only me and YunMi, I noticed that her hair was down. “YunMi. Why is your hair down?” 
 
Her eyes widened, and she stuttered, “N-nothing. My h-hair’s thick.. And my hair tye s-snapped.” She looked suspicious, but before I could say anything, a boy with sharp facial features sat next to her.
“Hey YunMi!” he said. 
 
YunMi looked at him, “Oh hey, Ryeowook,” she greeted, with red cheeks.
 
“How’re you doing? Is Yuri bothering you?” He asked, sounding worried. YunMi looked at her nails, and shook her head.
 
Curious about who this ‘Yuri’ they speak of, I asked, “What? Who’s Yuri? She was bothering you? Why did-” but my interrogation was interrupted as a cup of yogurt was placed in front of me. Sungmin had returned, and he gave the cups to the four of us. “One for MiJin, one for YunMi, one for me, and luckily I got extra, one for Ryeowook. What’s up, Wook?”
 
Ryeowook took the cup out of Sungmin’s hands, “Nothing much. Just talking to YunMi. How about you, hyung?”
 
Sungmin plastered a sarcastic look on his face, “Nothing. ‘Cause it’s totally not obvious that I’m enjoying lunch with MiJin, here.” I let out a soft laugh. Isn’t that cute? He enjoys having lunch with me.
 
Joking, I said, “So, you enjoy eating with me, huh?”
 
YunMi didn’t take the joking tone in my voice, and asked, “Are you two like… Dating?”
 
I sighed at her stupidity, “No YunMi. We only met officially today. And his name is Sungmin. Call him Sungmin Oppa.”
 
She stuck her tongue out at me, and pouted, “Fine. Oppa~ Do you like MiJin unni?”
 
Sungmin’s face turned red, and he opened his mouth to say something, but an annoying voice stopped him from doing so. “Ryeowook-ie oppa!”
 
Ryeowook turned around and said, “Ah! Yuri-shi! Let’s go.” stood up, and waved good bye, linking his arms with this girl. YunMi turned her back to the two walking away, and frowned.
 
Sungmin and I saw this and kept quiet, until he said, “Hey. MiJin-shi, YunMi, you guys want to see the auditorium? It’s like the headquarters, where everyone always hang out.”
 
YunMi looked up with bright eyes and smile, and nodded. Sungmin and I laughed at her cuteness, and made our way.
 
 
As we got closer to the auditorium, we heard two voices singing together, and a piano playing in the background. We reached the doors, and looked inside. Ryeowook and that girl Yuri were singing together. Ryeowook was playing the piano, and as Yuri stopped singing, she rested her head on Ryeowook’s shoulder.
 
YunMi saw this, and said, “Nevermind. I have to get ready for the next class,” turning around and walked away. 
 
Sungmin shouted out at her, “Hey, YunMi-ah. I’m his room mate. I can hook you two up.” The both of us laughed.
 
YunMi stopped, and jerked her head at Sungmin, “Yah! Stop teasing me! So what if I like him? What if I don’t? What’s it to you,” she screamed, turning around, and walking off again.
 
I looked at Sungmin, hoping he’d ‘save the day’ somehow. I asked him, “Hey… Is there something you guys do for Valentine’s Day? It’s in 3 weeks.”
 
He thought, and called for YunMi to come back. 
 
“YunMi-shi,” he said, “I’m sorry for teasing you like that. Look. I understand that you like him. I know what it feels like.” He does? “What I’d do, is do something special for him on Valentine’s day. Every year, we do a few events. We do the Secret Admiration. And we do Lovey Dovey. And the last one is the Masquerade Ball.”
 
These cute names hooked me up, and I got closer to listen. “Secret Admiration is when you write love notes, and put them in your crush’s locker. By the end of the semester, they have to find out who wrote it. Lovey Dovey is a class thing. The class sits in a circle, trying to pass a piece of paper around-”
 
“Oohhh. I piece of paper. How fun” I interrupted. Teasingly, he put his hand over my mouth, continuing what he was saying. “The little twist is, you pass the paper with your mouth. And as for the Masquerade Ball, you wear a pretty dress or suit, and the boys wear a masquerade mask. It’s held in the the school’s dance room. The boy goes to the girl he loves, and kisses her. He isn’t suppose to reveal who he is. The lucky girl is suppose to figure it out herself.” He finally took his hand off my face.
 
YunMi looked interested, and asked, “Oppa, have you ever kissed a girl at the ball?”
 
Sungmin looked at her and sighed, “No. I’ve never been to the Masquerade Ball. I’m planning on going this year, though,” and looked at me, making my heart skipped a beat.
 
He sighed again, and said, “Well, I have to go. I’ll see you in class MiJin. And I’ll see you after school YunMi. Bye!”
 
I watched as he walked off. My heart was beating faster than ever. Why am I so excited? It’s not like I’m falling for him… Right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys! Chapter 2 is UP! I hope ou guys like it so far
 
Remember. More comments/subscriberes=Faster updates! So share this story! Comment! Subscribe! Tell your friends. Family! Anyone!

What will happen to YunMi and Yuri?
What will Yuri do?
Sunny told MiJin that she will regret embarassing her. Why?
Is MiJin really falling for Sungmin?
 
READ TO FIND OUT