Chapter 03

[ADAPTED] That Cute Waiter Boy

 

Jongin drops his forehead to the table; all kinds Marketing-related books are spread in front of him.


"Why." He starts in annoyance, his eyes closed and his mind all dizzy. "Why do I have to take these classes…"


He once again tries to open and read one book directly in front of him (Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking) only to feel his dizziness thickened at the complicated wordings. He throws it aside causing it to hit the next table with a loud bang.


A sheepish "Sorry…" is all he can mumble as the rest of the library turned to him with a sharp glare and the librarian shushed him in anger.


"I don’t get it! I mean, I’m supposed to learn about design, about branding. And just because branding happens to have a big string of connection with Marketing, doesn’t mean one likes to entirely study it and thinks to be a..." His face twitches in disgust, "…marketer."


Baekhyun doesn’t reply. His eyes are glued to his paper and his right hand busily scribbles Physics equations on it, leaving Jongin feels like he’s babbling to a pale, small, rather good-looking brick wall. The smile on his face tickles Jongin’s curiosity, though.


"I thought you hate Physics."


"I study Civil Engineering, Kim Jongin, why would I hate Physics?"


"Baek, you always hate Physics…"


"Well then now I’m not~" Baekhyun hums, still not bothering to lift his head but Jongin can see his smile has gotten wider, showing off his gleam of white teeth.


He narrows his eyes. Something happened, he thinks. Something good.


"Did something good happe—"


He immediately regrets asking as Baekhyun slams down his pencil in excitement and lifts his beamy face to him. The younger groans and buries his face in his palms. He just dug his own grave.


"So there’s this gorgeous guy sitting next to me in Physics class. He’s so cute; his hipster glasses looks so good on him, oh my god. And he’s so tall, but, you know, I like tall guys, so yeah. I can’t believe I didn’t notice him from the previous classes because he shines, okay. Wow."


"Breathe, Baek, breathe. You’re going to suffocate yourself from talking so fas—"


"ANYWAYS." Jongin flinches. He’s a bit sad because apparently no one in the library cares when Baekhyun is the one making noise. "He borrowed my notes—glad I was in a good mood so I noted down everything—and he asked me if I actually understood any of the bulls, and I said yes, then he asked me a few stuffs and I explained to him and he said I explained it better than the professor, and so he asked me to tutor him!"


"Stop squealing before we got kicked out."


Baekhyun ignores him. "He is so cute, Jongin, god. I read my horoscope today (“Since when do you read horoscopes?!”) and it says something good might happen and it’s true!"


Jongin closes his eyes and winds his finger in circles near his temple as he grasps the fact that he’s currently dealing with a teenage high-schooler-in-love.


"Did you get his name?"


"Well, duh. I’m not you."


And today is the official day Jongin discovers he has a jerk as a bestfriend.


"It’s Park Chanyeol." Baekhyun continues, his eyes wandering the library’s ceiling dreamily. His dongsaeng rolls his eyes and makes an exaggerated gagging sound.


"Tsk, you offend me, Kim Jongin. For your information, I held myself not to do that when you were staring at that Oh Sehun guy with whatever dirty thoughts running through your head."


A small white object flies towards him.


"Really, an eraser? Wow, what a vigorous attempt to kill someone."


"You’re such a jerk, Byun Baekhyun."


Baekhyun gasps. "May I remind you again who got you his number?"


Jongin scoffs, but silently he admits it. It’s thanks to Baekhyun he got Oh Sehun’s number. But it still doesn't change the fact that he’s a jerk, though.


"So how are things going between you two?" Baekhyun sweeps his books aside, crossing his arms on the table and rests his chin on it.


"Not sure," replies the younger, mirroring his hyung's pose, "I haven’t been there for a few days now. My professors are killing me slowly."


"You didn’t call him?"


"We texted a few times."


"Why didn’t you call him?"


"I can’t…" Jongin whines. "It’s embarrassing, okay. The way I got his number was really awkward thanks to you."


Baekhyun grins proudly. "But he might want you to call him too, you know. He was pretty beamed when you asked for his number."


Jongin is about to say something but Baekhyun starts to pack his notebooks and pencils and papers in a flash.


"We’re going there."


"What, now? But my papers—"


"You’re not gonna do it today, anyway, right?"


A sigh leaves Jongin’s mouth. Baekhyun knows him too well.

 

 

"Baekhyun?"


Baekhyun turns to his side to see his caller, and his face lights up when he sees him.


"Chanyeol?! What are you doing here?!"


"I work here." Chanyeol chuckles as he spreads his arms to show his uniform.


"Really? How come I’ve never see you before?"


"Oh you’ve come here before? When?"


"Yeah, twice, last Thursday and also the week before!"


Okay, Baekhyun needs to stop being so jumpy now.


"Ah, that was when I had a problem with my roommate so I left early."


Baekhyun hums and nods his head. "By the way, this is my friend, Jongin. Jongin, Chanyeol."


Jongin takes out his hand from his pocket and shakes the other’s hand, mumbling a "Hi" together with a smile. This Chanyeol guy reminds him of Totoro somehow…


Chanyeol then leads them into a table near the window. The glee in Baekhyun’s eyes when Chanyeol draws back his chair for him is too obvious for Jongin.


"I'll take your order too, then."


Honestly, Jongin never knows taking an order can last more than 30 minutes. It’s not that he hates Chanyeol for making Baekhyun forgets entirely about his presence, it's just...


Okay, yes it is. Jongin feels like there’s this thick glass layer that separates him from Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s world. Being a third wheel is never a thrilling experience, you see. So he chooses to hang his head low and concentrates on the only thing in his mind right now: where the hell is Oh Sehun why don’t I see him.


"Sehun?" Chanyeol looks at him questioningly. Jongin reminds himself to put much more hardwork into correlating his brain and his mouth. "He’s at the back helping the patissier, I think. The other two waiters called in sick so our hands are pretty full today."


"Oh! Can we help?" Baekhyun literally jumps in his seat. Chanyeol laughs totoro-ly (A/N: Seriously, I’m going to put this on my EXO-related-play-of-words list).


"Nah, it’s okay. We don’t get that many customers on Mondays anyway."


"And if I insist?"


Chanyeol laughs again. “Be my guest, then."


Jongin swears he heard a restrained squeal from Baekhyun’s closed mouth.


"You want to come to?"


"Oh no, he’s gonna be fine~" Baekhyun waves a girly hand-gesture in front of Jongin’s face before walking away followed by Chanyeol. "Alone and dry, but fine."


Jongin tries to murder his bestfriend with flying toothpicks.


"Sehun-ah!" Chanyeol shouts to the kitchen. "Someone's here for you!"


It doesn’t take too long for Sehun to come out. He looks stunning as always, Jongin establishes. Okay, that may sounds really weird considering the boy looks pretty beaten up from what Jongin presumes dealing with big rucksacks or bottle carts or the other huge and heavy things, but man. Oh Sehun plus messy bed-hair look plus heavy panting plus a few drip of sweats from his forehead down his face equals the death of Jongin.


"Hi!" He says when he reaches Jongin’s table. It looks like he cleaned his face a little bit although his hair is still messy and there's still a few drips of sweat on his face, but Jongin likes it. Very much.


He mentally slaps himself for being ridiculously .


"So, uhh, how are you?" Sehun decides to break the awkwardness before everything turns into an official staring contest between Jongin/Sehun and the table (which, given the situation, the table is so destined to lose).


"Oh, same old, same old. My professors decided to drown me in projects, papers, group meetings, and so on."


Sehun nods. Jongin nods. And another silence falls. It’s really fascinating how the two blabbermouths’ tongues just freeze when faced in front of each other, Baekhyun notices from afar and he can’t contain his giggles.


"Sehun-ah!" Another shout from the kitchen. Jongin mentally thanks whoever that is for getting him out of this awkwardness but at the same time curses him for breaking his sweet silent moment with Sehun. "Come back here, there are still crates to go!"


Sehun groans before looking at Jongin’s direction with a ‘what-should-I-do’ look.


"It’s fine, go ahead. I shouldn't interrupt your work time, anyway." smiles Jongin. Sehun throws him back an apologetic smile as he stands up and heads towards the kitchen.


"Wait."


A smiling sheepishly Jongin rubbing the back of his neck is what he finds when he turns his head around.


"Uhh, what time does your shift end?"


"Huh? Around six, why?"


Jongin glances at his watch. It’s not for another 2 and a half hours but meh, his papers can wait, can’t they?


"I, uhh, I kinda want to walk you home."


"Oh." Sehun looks surprised for a brief moment. "Oh. Umm…"


"I’m moving too fast, aren’t I...?" Jongin carefully asks.


"N-no! No you're not! I-I mean, I—"


His gaze examines Jongin’s face and then back to the floor; cheeks all scarlet, fingers all fidgety. And the seconds pass feels like hundreds of light years to Jongin.


"Sure." He finally says with a smile when he finds his voice again. Jongin's heart drops to the floor in rejoice. "Sure, yeah, I’d like that."
 


A/N

Unbetaed 1500+ words of crap, omg. I'm sorry, I have a lot of papers to be finished soon and I have been sitting in front of my computer for the past 50 hours. My brain probably didn't work so well UGH IDK TT^TT
But I hope this is good enough tho. I'll edit any mistakes later when I'm free ;____;

Comments?
*crawls and hides under the blanket*