The Second Note

The Eighth Note

 

~RE~

 

Sunsets always gave me a melancholic feel.

 

But today,

 

May be the saddest day of my life

 

Because as the sun paints the sky red

 

It makes me miss

 

The times I was with her

 

Why can’t she just stay? 



 

 “Can’t you stay?”

 

That was the question I asked her before she left. My eyes were lowered as my hands tightened their grip on the handle of her luggage, as if not wanting to let her go.

 

If it was just up to me, I won’t let her leave.

 

I don’t want the girl with the silly makeup and clothes to go back where career waits for her. I just want her to stay.

 

Me and my selfish thoughts.

 

”You know I can’t,” she replied gently.

 

I looked up and met her gaze. She was smiling but her eyes told me she was worried. Was she apprehensive about her return?

 

“Are you bothered that people would treat you differently?” I asked. It was one of her biggest worries while she was on training. I always told her there’ll still be people who will like her, no matter what. People like me.

 

And haters? They could all go to hell.

 

Every time I say that, she would laugh, like I said something ridiculous. Then she would pinch my cheeks and would tell me I’m adorable.

 

“I’m used to that. I’m actually worried about you,” She was frowning at me now and I tried to look cheerful. It was an epic fail, by the way. Like usual, she pinched my cheeks and said, “You’re so cute. Don’t ever lie to me. You’re so obvious.”

 

I rubbed my cheek and without warning, I blurted out, “I’ll miss you.”

 

That was no lie.

 

I would miss her apple-scented hair, her dorky laugh, the way she would cry over small things and her eccentric fears.

 

She grinned as she said, “We can always call each other.”

 

“You don’t like making phone calls,” I told her.

 

Yes, even her preference for text messaging over phone calls would be terribly missed by me.

 

She beamed, clearly amused by my retort and said, “Tell you what. If you miss me, just go to the beach, look out to the horizon, and think of me. I’ll be doing the same thing when I miss you.”

 

The last boarding for her flight was blared on the airport’s announcement system and she hugged me one last time. I hugged her back and she said, “Please say my thanks to your mom. Please tell her I’ll miss her cooking. Oh, and don’t forget to tell Seunghyun he’s an alien.”

 

I chuckled at her last words for Hyung. We let go of each other and as her back disappeared into the crowd, I found myself stuck on the place where she left me, as if her absence made me a stone.

 

When her plane left, I went to the beach and looked out to the horizon, screaming her name…

 

…because even though she just left…

 

…I was already missing her.