Numb [final]

Cellphone

Hwang Chara looked down to hide her face and started her way outside the café.

Oh Sehun, still surprised, put his wallet back to his jeans’ pocket and walked after her. As soon as he got outside, he yelled out.

“Chara ssi!”

The aforementioned person turned to her name and started running down the descending sidewalk. Oh Sehun came to run after her. She was pretty fast for a high school girl, slipping through shoulder by shoulder. Oh Sehun caught her wrist not long after, thanks to his man speed.

Hwang Chara stared him intently, hot with anger. Both of them were catching their breaths, Oh Sehun wanting to say his mind.

The streets came to a momentary stop as Hwang Chara slapped Oh Sehun, very, very hard, in the face. Sehun did not retaliate, and silently absorbed the stinging pain he deserves. The sidewalk concrete beneath stared back at him, as if laughing.

“Stop ing with my life.” Hwang Chara warned with a cold, piercing tone.

Oh Sehun closed his eyes, and breathed before opening them again.

“Chara ya!” a man’s voice yelled from a distance, coming closer with thudding steps. They both turned their heads to see Kim Jongin running down the sidewalk towards them.

“Damn it!” Chara hissed before she shot running to the other side of the block. Kim Jongin sent wind blowing to Sehun’s numbed cheek as he ran past him.

“Chara wait—” Kim Jongin exclaimed.

Oh Sehun turned away and decided to go back to the studio and stop this mess from ruining him any further.

Kim Jongin reached Hwang Chara’s shoulder and made her face him. He brought her slowly to a wall and lifted her jaw with a finger to see her face. She was closing her eyes when he tried to stare into her, not wanting to have their eyes meet. Jongin’s lonely hand just ran slowly in her hair, missing her.

Hwang Chara weakly pushed Kim Jongin away. “Oppa it’s not working—“

Jongin looked down to his pocket and took his earphone-plugged music player. He hurriedly clicked and clicked, then plugged the right earpiece to Hwang Chara’s right ear, and the left piece to his. Blankly looking at Jongin’s shirt, Hwang Chara’s eyes widened to the music.

It was the song they always danced to in the school’s unoccupied practice room. It was a song that would remind them of that, that would remind them of the touches. It was their song.

Jongin lifted Chara’s gaze again and started mouthing the lyrics.

 

I don't want nobody else
They don't understand
That I gave away my heart
The moment that I shook your hand

Take my breath away
Buy me anything I ask
Go anywhere I wanna go
I traded everything just to know

Let me know you love me
Let me know you care
Let me know you're thinking of me
When I can't be there
Let me know you miss me…

Hwang Chara took off the earpiece and started walking away.

“No wait—“ Jongin stopped her and her hair, and the contours of her face. Deeply, as if memorizing it. Slowly, as if he was blind. Hwang Chara came to silence and breathed evenly. “Oppa don’t—please.” She took down his hands. “We’re over, can’t you see?” she asked softly.

“Chara—“ Kim Jongin sighed. “I still love you.”

She scoffed. “And I don’t?” Hwang Chara played with Kim Jongin’s hand lightly and put it back to where it was. “But Oh Sehun loves you too.”

“This has nothing to do with Sehun.”

“Yes it does,” she nodded, grinning bitterly. “Now love him like you love me, Oppa. For me.”

“I can only love you, Chara ssi.” Kim Jongin pleaded. “Please.”

“Please.” Tears started to puddle in Jongin’s eyes. “Come back to me.”

Hwang Chara, after moments staring silently into Jongin’s eyes, caressed Jongin’s face slowly and tiptoed to kiss him softly. “Thank you,” she whispered to Jongin’s lips. She saw the first teardrop on Jongin’s cheek, and silently cried herself.

She got back to her feet and looked down, broken beyond repair, walking away to leave his shattered heart alone in the dark.

Three hearts were left out in the rain, too scared, too scarred to hold on.

Jongin leant his forehead on the wall trying his best to keep his tears from spilling. No one should ever see a man crying on the streets. With slightly wet eyes, he decided to leave the place. He walked up the slope and came back silently to the studio, walking past the ruined Oh Sehun without any acknowledgements, head down pretending to watch his steps. Only to those trying to hide their feelings do the chilling air cooler of the studio felt stinging to the bone. No, they would never stare, talk, and love, to each other anymore.