Crème brûlée? Challenge accepted

Baking Swag

Just a brief description on what a Crème brûlée in case anyone's curious

"Crème brûlée is a dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a contrasting layer of hard caramel. It is normally served cold."

  cit. Wikipedia.

 

 

The insides of your stomach felt like a tiny ship in a tumultuous sea. You felt nauseous from all the fear spinning inside you.

"Oh no", you thought. " Why did i have to insult my very first culinary teacher?? What if he's going to slice me into sponge cakes or whisk

me into fresh cream?! Worst of all, he might fire me  and i will never become a Patisserie anymore!!"

Thinking about the last thought, you unconsciously banged your fists on the marble floor. It was a foolish move, and you immediatly groaned from the pain.

The cafe's crew simply chuckled at your weird behavior and continued their work.

 

At this moment, the kitchen door slid open and you knew exactly who stepped in.

" Good morning everyone, Park Chanyeol imnida!". Wow.. was his voice this deep and sultry?

Mr Chanyeol was introduced to the rest of the crew members and you could already tell that he was a hit with everyone. Particularly the females.There were excited squeals from the younger apprentices and you even saw the married ahjumma chefs  fanning themselves, and their cheeks were spotted red. Suddenly, one of the chefs suggested excitedly, " We would really love to see a demonstration of your skills, Chanyeol ssi, would you mind designing today's lunch set?"

" Of course, sir, "

" Today's menu is apricot butter tea-cakes served with Earl Grey tea and mini chocolate croissants."  The chef showed Mr Chanyeol the supposed lunch set on the counter.  " But i was thinking that its a tad boring so feel free to spice it up !" 

Mr Chanyeol stared intensely at the little plate of treats. At this moment you pondered, "The buttery apricot cakes and the hearty Earl Grey blend well together, but .." 

" Toss those chocolate away " . " Its ruining the dish" . The entire crew looked dead shocked upon hearing such crude words from a pleasant looking man like Mr Chanyeol.

Mr Chanyeol started dumping the croissants violently into the trash can. He scrunched back his shirt sleeves, and yelled to the crew " I'm going to increase the quantity of the tea cakes to 4 per set, the croissants soiled the taste cos its too heavy, so to substitute them we are going to apply a different flavored cream for each cake. " The customers would be happy to enjoy a greater variety of flavors and I'm thinking of vanilla, peach, apricot and rose to go with the spring season , is that ok with you guys?"  

The entire cafe staff gawked at him in fascination. 

But in no time, the crew was bustling in excitement to create this new dish. The patisierre responsible for making the cream asked Mr Chanyeol for instructions while the other chefs were racing back and forth, baking the new tea cakes.

The customers were pleased with the set menu and complimented it to be novel and creative. By the end of the day, everyone was thoroughly convinced that Mr Chanyeol had some major chops in pastry making and were excited to work with him.

" He's a total baking otaku though". Your good mate, Sohee whispered to you when all the apprentices had to stay back to clean up the cafe.

You instantly burst out into laughter," I know! he was screaming like a banshee when i dropped some macarons and even called them " macarons baby" ". you added on. 

" Erm.. dropped just the macarons?" Sohee wiggled her eyebrows.

 Mr Chanyeol had conveniently ignored you throughout the entire day, while he was cordial and friendly with the rest of the chefs and workers. It confirmed your assumption that he was unequivocally pissed at you. So, in your depressed state, you broke about 20 plates, served the wrong order twice and tripped on poor Sohee's foot.

" It's because my head turns jello when i'm troubled!" . You pouted. " Anyway i really need to apologize to Mr Chanyeol and Hugo bout today". 

" Well, good luck then, i hope to see you alive tomorrow in one piece". Sohee did a 'HWAITING" gesture to me and exited the nearly empty cafe.

All right where is that man? You put down the dirty mop and lumbered over to the kitchen to find him,cos you knew that Mr Hugo always talked to the new workers after their first day. 

You peaked into the kitchen's side window and saw the kitchen completely empty with only two people left. Mr Hugo and Mr Chanyeol were leaning on the kitchen's metal counter. They were in a heated discussion.

Mr Park was making frustrated gestures. . " Hugo Seonbae, that twerp should be kicked out!" " Did you see how she handled the orders? ! Their loaded with mistakes!"

Oh wow he's having no difficulty at all in criticizing me =.=..

" Now now, Changyeol ssi, be reasonable!". Mr Hugo tried to reason with him." You only met her for a day, I'm sure ____ ah will get it together quickly. She's a good kid.."

" The confectionery world has no place for such mistakes". " Hugo Seonbae, I'm afraid i can't be her teacher.. i.i expected better".

"This can't go on"! you thought. So you pushed the kitchen doors wide open, and immediatly bowed to the two startled figures.

" Excuse me!, Chanyeol and Hugo seongsaenim, I'm sorry i overheard your conversation...b-but i must apologize for my terrible mistakes today!" you continued bowing and your heart was pacing like a galloping horse." It was.. totally irresponsible of me and.. and i have no idea why.. i.. um..".

Mr Changyeol just waved you off like an annoying fly ." Shoo, shoo! I have no more patience to handle you, its decided that i won't teach you". 

" b-But SEONGSAENGNIM!!", omigosh like you were such a desparate cow so you resorted to your final act of persuasion which was begging on Mr Changeyol's feet " IT"S too CRUEL! GIMME A CHANCE to prove myself!".

Mr Changyeol was utterly petrified, and started swatting desperately with a spatula. But he caved in in the end," Ok fine i will! but on one condition!"

" I want you to make me one of the basic dishes a patisserie must master, a good quality Crème brûlée", he declared with a slightly annoying smirk.

 

 

source:

 

image

http://www.shelf5.com/2010/08/30/lavender-lemon-creme-brulee/