Nostalgia and jelly donuts

Baking Swag

Friends with benefits. 

That's what me and Kris were or perhaps it was just me who thought that.

Kris remained rooted on the spot. His eyes were glowering into mine.

" Sunbae?".  Does he not remember anything? I thought, feeling slightly disappointed.

Without a word, he grabs me by the arm and drags me to a narrow alleyway between two shops.

It was dark as i felt my back hit the cold stone bricks.

I tried groping in the darkness with my hands and clutched a tussle of his hair. It was soft and fibrous. He knelt in closer, till i could see the outline of his face, his eyes, the tip of his nose and his plump lips. 

Then our lips met. Just like the old times when both of us were in school. Waves of electricity shocked my body, as our lips continued to mold together. He ran the tip of his tongue along the roof of my mouth unto which i shivered unconsciously from his cold touch. He still tasted delicious. The usual tobacco and lemongrass. 

Kris pulled away unexpectedly. Leaving me to slump back at the wall, staring wide eyed at him. Both of us were trying to catch our breath. My eyes had adjusted to the darkness and i saw him running his fingers over his bangs, pushing them out of his face. He bends down to my eye level.

" That was quite a reunion eh, dongseang?". He said wih a mischievous smile intact.

We both burst into laughter.

" Kris sunbae its good to see you... its been what 2 years?"

" A year and half actually". Kris mumbles and takes out a Marlboro cigarette. " Since you left Le Rosey college halfway through". 

" But i'm doing great now! At the cafe! I'm doing what i've always wanted, pastries! Instead of studying rubbish history or killing my brain cells by doing math". I tried to reassure him since i knew Kris, being such a worrier was probably worried that because i didn't finish my diploma, i wouldn't be able to secure a good future.

" I know, i can tell". He lights the cigarette, inhales and breathes out a puff of smoke. " I was just worried  because i heard about your  um.. dad". He adds on uncomfortably. " But you look alright and I'm glad i could meet you again today". 

He wraps his slender fingers on my wrist. Tracing the bone tentatively. " Really glad ". He says softly. I gulped and felt my heart skid quickly from the sudden contact. 

We exchanged numbers and Kris told me he would see me soon.

I returned to the cafe and begun my shift. But my mind was still stuck on Kris. Our relationship was weird, i saw him as a brotherly figure who i could divulge my troubles to but i was also undeniably attracted to every inch of him. I mean who wouldn't ?! Come on!

I still remembered every detail from the time we begun our odd relationship. Evenings spent after school at his house. Both of us lying on his bed. The manila colored blankets would be crinkled and messy. I would see his turned away from the bed and inhale his scent on the bed sheets.

The day passed like a breeze and Chanyeol informed me that my training would begin this week before i left for home. 

 

It was 10 o'clock and i was watching "Running man" on the telly.

The door flings open, revealing my beat up and disheveled looking brother. 

" ____ ah" . " Good lordy, I'm about to die here!". Baekhyun oppa moaned as he dragged himself across the living room. 

I chuckled, seeing my brother in such a state, " Oppa, is Chamomile milk tea and jelly donuts alright with you?" 

" Yes! Oh Yes! I swear i need those right now.. i'm so beat". Baekhyun manages to slide into his comforter. He quickly loosens his tie, kicks off his leather loafers and buries himself under the fluffy cushions. Tension slowly unbuckles from his rigid body.

I arrived with the treats from the kitchen. Baekhyun's head perked up as i place the plate on the glass table. Like a hungry puppy, he snatched the mug of milk tea, drank in a big gulp, then grabbed a donut with his other hand and devoured it in a frightening "chomp!"" Baekhyun Oppa is just friggin' adorable. I mean he can get so happy from just eating a mere dessert " I thought, as i smiled seeing the huge smile he had and how his eyes squinted, savoring the taste.

As Baekhyun was polishing off the remaining donuts, i decided that i should spill about our old friend.

" Oppa.. i met Kris today". 

"Bwoh?!" His eyes widened, "Ohh that fella! Ahh its been ages since i last saw him!"

" He's a friend of my teacher, came to the cafe today, he seems to be working for a well known food magazine". I explained.

" Thats awesome! That guy has always been into writing, journaling when we were at Le Rosey.. good for him". Baekhyun nods his head 

Kris was in my brother's clique back in our high school days and that was how we met through. I remained silent and just stared at the TV after that mainly for some reason i felt embarrassed talking about Kris.. since he was my oppa's close friend and he had no idea of our "hush hush" relationship.

" So.. how was the test today?"  Baekhyun questioned, trying to get into his concerned older brother role.

" Oh yeah, its fine, managed to persuade the giant". 

" Atta girl, i knew you could do it!" He ruffles my hair affectionally. " You got something special with them pastries". " Like a connection, know whatta mean? " " Everything you make, its abosolutely the best". He tries to demonstrate his point by picking up the spongy donut. " Its way better than those fancy bakeries near my workplace". He munches on it and while chewing the donut, continues. " Ahh! Its heaven, probably the best donut i ever tasted". Baekhyun adds on." If dad was here, he would have agreed".

" Oppa! you know dad always lied about my baking!". I laughed, remembering my dorky dad," Even if it tasted like poop, he would still say it was JJANG!".

" Hm.. thats true". " Good point Dongsaeng!". 

Baekhyun and I were raised single handedly by our father. My dad was a stout plump guy, with a protruding beer belly. He had a kind face though with sincere eyes and whenever he laughed you could feel how it rumbled in his tummy. Like a big ol' bear. Dad was a food enthusiast who always brought me and Baekhyun to try out the finest culinary dishes. There was once he even flew us to Siberia to try out roasted Reindeer meat, he lectured me that it was the most tender of all meats.But despite his love for proper food like meat what Dad loved the most was pastries and desserts. I guess i inherited that same passion from him.

He frequently indulged in rich and fattening food, so naturally he developed certain health problems. Being a sensible person, Dad tried hard to lose the belly. But..oh well, he had a sudden heart attack one day and passed away. It was quick. It was sudden and me and Baekhyun cried till our jaws ached. The funeral came and ended. I had to withdraw from my prestigious school and Baekhyun rushed to climb up the corporate ladder to support ourselves financially.

On the last day of the funeral, oppa and i were lying in the living room. The TV was on, we drank beer,ate crackers and chatted about everything. Our deepest regret, our most private thoughts.. On that rainy night, we swore to take care of each other, inseparable, because we were the only family we had left.

 

 

 

 

Hi fellow readers! You would have noticed that this chapter is focused mainly on character development. I hope i'm not being too long winded by doing this : O ! Suffering from horrible writer's block. I wish there was a pill for it = . = . Someone invent one pls! Thanks for reading anyways and i hope you'll enjoy the weekend. Let me know what you think about the story, anything is fine! i won't mind if u complain or rant about it :D