Chapter 4

Yes, Kikwang Oppa. I want to be your girlfriend.

 

Kikwang’s P.O.V.

 

            I was in love, in love with the girl from the supermarket. I spent all my free time with Yunji. We did everything together: ate meals together, did homework together, studied together, and of course sneaked in as many kisses and hugs we could without provoking raised eyebrows from the rest of our classmates. I was devoted to her and her only. I loved her very much; even though Sunny shot me death glares every time I said I was off to meet up with Yunji. On the bright side, Junhyung and Hyuna were happy for me, and we sometimes went on double dates together to movies and whatnot.

            One of my favorite memories with Yunji was at the amusement park. We had both paid for our tickets and were standing with our maps out, trying to decide which ride to go on first. I remember staring at her adorable intent expression as she scanned the map.

            I ruffled her hair and teased, “You look like a tourist, baby.”

            She scowled at me in mock annoyance. “I wouldn’t look like one if you were actually helping me, BABY,” she shot back.

            “Who cares about the map?” I said and I knocked the map out of her hands, much to her surprise. I pulled her along to the nearest line we saw. We stood in line patiently and when we finally got to the front, the man in charge of the ride looked at us suspiciously and asked, “Didn’t you see the sign? This teacup ride is only for kids up to twelve.”

            I saw Yunji’s face fell when she realized we waited in line all this time for no reason. She also looked very embarrassed that we were these two clueless old people, waiting at this little kid ride. I felt mad that I had pulled her into waiting at this kids’ ride without even noticing that there were only kids there. Acting on impulse, I grabbed Yunji’s hands again and, ignoring the disapproval of the man in charge, pulled Yunji into an empty teacup with me. It was a tight fit, but the closeness of our bodies was something Yunji and I were used to.

            The teacup man glowered at us, but Yunji just smiled her sweet smile and said sweetly, “See, sir? We fit.” The teacup man, already irritated that we held up everyone else, grumbled unhappily but let us stay where we were.

            During the dizzying, round-and-round ride in that squished cup, I put my hand around Yunji and brushed back her flyaway hair. “You really shouldn’t use that sweet, persuasive voice to old men, Yunji baby. You should save that voice for me.” I complained with a voice filled with pretend jealousy.

            “Sorry, Kikwang Oppa,” Yunji said as she tilted her head to kiss me.

            We sat through the rest of teacup ride with our eyes closed, our lips together.

 

            After, the teacup ride was over, it was Yunji’s turn to grab me by my hand and pull me over to the Raging Rapids ride. It was crazy as Yunji and I were tossed and turned to the left, right, and center on this tiny raft through the turbulent rapids. Yunji shrieked with laughter in my ear the whole time and I didn’t mind her making me half-deaf at all. We left the ride, soaking wet, and laughing madly. As we made our way to the food area, I kept trying to wring out my sodden tee onto Yunji and she tried whipping my face with her dripping wet hair. We kept laughing and calling each other names. Many people walked by us with raised eyebrows at our crazy antics. I heard one mother pass by and tell her kid, “Look at those crazy people. That is what happens if you don’t eat your vegetables and don’t do your homework.”

            After sharing curly fries and a funnel cake (Yunji ate more than her share of funnel cake!), we rode the High Flyer, which are swings dangling 30 feet in the air, and we also rode the Dragon Coaster. We even rode on the pony ride (Thankfully, open to older “kids”.)

           

            The sky was getting dark when we rode the bus back to our campus dorms. We got off the bus and Yunji and I lit up our Twirly-Lighters that we had bought at the amusement park gift shop. Twirly-Lighters are basically these handheld light thingys that twirled and lit up in all different colors when you held the button. We were walking towards the crosswalk when Yunji suddenly stopped and pointed at the bright full moon.

            “Look Kikwang, it’s a full moon. Time for you to change to a werewolf!” she joked. I didn’t say anything except wrapped my arms around her and in amidst of all the chirping crickets, kissed her. When we finally broke apart, Yunji murmured, “Yes Kikwang, I love you too, but we should really be getting back.” She broke away from my arms and started crossing the street.

            “Wait for me! I need to tie my shoe!” I yelled as I bent down to fumble with my untied shoelaces.

            Yunji turned around and stopped in the middle of the street to wait for me. Suddenly, I started to yell for her to watch out for the car that was coming straight after her, but I was too late. In a dreamlike quality, I saw the truck slam into Yunji; Yunji crumpling to the ground in a silent pile; watching the truck drive away as quick as it has come; the pool of red forming around Yunji; and me yelling out in horror, “YUNJI!”

            The rest of my memory became fuzzy and distorted. Some passerby saw the hit-and-run. They called 9-1-1. I’m desperately repeating “Yunji, Yunji, Yunji”. The red and blue blinking lights of the police car. I’m desperately repeating “Yunji, Yunji, Yunji”. The blaring horn of the ambulance as I rode in the back with my Yunji on a stretcher. The doctor shaking his head sadly at me, brown clipboard in one hand, pen in the other. Meeting Yunji’s parents; their eyes swollen red and face streaked with tears. Somehow fining myself dressed in a suit. Attending my girlfriend’s funeral. Weeks passed. Still attending Tae-sub University. Everything seems so far away. Junhyung, Hyuna, Sunny. Peering at me worriedly. Dragging my feet along classes. Flashbacks of all the times I had with Yunji. Before I know it, my feet have found themselves at the green, hilly part of the campus where Yunji and I have spent so much time laying on our backs looking at the clouds. I lay down at the familiar spot, but the spot next to me is grimly empty. I force myself to look up at the clouds. And like an echo, I hear Yunji’s voice float to me. “Yes, Kikwang Oppa. I want to be your girlfriend.”