Chapter 1

Words Unspoken [HIATUS]

Note!

This means fan chant!

This means sound effect!

This means setting!

Just in case you don't know. X)

**********

5 years ago.

~Lee Household~

“Lee Kikwang! Get your lazy up!”

“Mmph!! Go away, umma!” Kikwang waved his hand, signaling his mother to go away.

“It’s your own graduation and you don’t even wanna go?! What about the talent showcase then?!” Kikwang’s mother rolled her eyes. “Fine then. I’ll just tell Eunsae to go to school herself.”

Once his best friend’s name reached his ears, Kikwang quickly bolted towards the bathroom to freshen up for his last day of school. In less than 10 minutes, Kikwang emerged from his room wearing his school uniform with his hair slightly gelled up. He slide on the stair rail and, oops!, almost hit his mom who was holding a plate of toasts.

“Kikwang! How many times have I told you not to do that?!” Kikwang’s mother shot a stern look at her son.

Kikwang heard a faint chuckle from the living room. He cocked his head slightly, only to see his best friend of 15 years there holding a hand to , trying to hold back her laughter. Upon seeing that, Kikwang couldn’t help but smile himself.

‘So cute!’ Kikwang thought, grinning.

“Sorry, umma!” Kikwang grabbed a slice of toast from the plate. “Hey, Eunsae.”

“Hey, oppa!” Eunsae stood up from the couch. “Ready to go?”

“Sure thing!” Kikwang kissed his mother on the cheek before heading towards the door. “Bye, umma! Be sure to come at 1 p.m.!”

“Yeah, yeah…” Kikwang’s mother waved her hand at the two as they head out. “Stay safe!”


~On the Way to School~

“Are you excited for your big showcase today?” Eunsae turned to look at her best friend.

“Oh absolutely.” Kikwang shoved his hands in his pocket. “But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous.”

“I heard that a secret talent scout is gonna be there.” Eunsae posted her hands to her cheeks. “Oh oppa, I feel nervous for you too! What if the choreography isn’t good enough?”

“Wait, if it’s a secret, how did you know that there’s a talent scout attending?” Kikwang scratched his head in confusion.

“Geez… When I said secret, I meant anonymous. Duh!” Eunsae rolled her eyes at her best friend’s stupidity.

“Well you could’ve said anonymous…” Kikwang pouted. “But don’t worry. The choreography is definitely good enough. You created it, after all.”

“Thanks buddy.” Eunsae smiled slightly.

‘Buddy. Right. That’s all we can ever be.’ Eunsae thought as she closed her eyes.


~School Hall, 2 p.m.~

Right after the graduation ceremony, it was time for the talent showcase. The last one for the seniors. Kikwang was in the practice room, practicing his dance for one last time. He was extremely nervous. Just two more students and it’s his turn already. He just hopes that the anonymous talent scout will like his self-composed song, as well as his best friend’s choreography. As he was too absorbed in his thoughts, he failed to hear the sound of the door being opened.

“2 minutes, Kikwang!” one of the stage crew members informed. “I need you in standby on stage.”

“Got it. Thanks, Hyunwoo.” Kikwang smiled at his friend.

Standing behind Hyunwoo, was his best friend holding a bouquet of blue and purple orchids. Smiling, she walked up to him and gave him a tight hug.

“Oppa, fighting!” Eunsae held her fist up. “You’re gonna be great!”

“Thanks, Eunsae.” Kikwang smiled. “What’s with the flowers?”

“They’re for you when the talent scout picks you.” Eunsae explained as she fixed Kikwang’s stage costume. “You are definitely a talent he or she is scouting for.”

“You really think so?” Eunsae nodded, smoothing out the crease on his black vest. “Thanks. I hope so too.”

“Lee Kikwang! Where is Lee Kikwang??” A voice can be heard calling for him.

“Looks like I’m up.” Kikwang sighed. “Wish me luck!”

“You’ll do great, oppa. Fighting!”

“Thanks, Eunsae.” Kikwang smiled and quickly ran out of the room.

‘Oppa. That’s all I’ll ever be to her.’ Kikwang thought sadly.

Both love each other very much. But one was too shy to confess.  The other feared that it would ruin their friendship. Both were afraid of rejection. Both decided to just remain as friends. Even though both knew it would hurt them a lot. Both chose to keep their liking of each other in their heart.

Kikwang was sweating out of nervousness as crew members fixed his hands free microphone. Another crew member, Hyunwoo informed him that just incase the hands free microphone wasn’t working, there’s a hand held one at the front of the stage. Kikwang was only half hearing what Hyunwoo said as he was simply too nervous.

“Wasn’t he great? Lee Hyun, everybody!” Kikwang heard the MC said. “Ok, are you ready for the next act?”

That was his cue, his cue to make it to the center of the stage secretly and stand there with his back facing the audience. He heard the MC rambling about his achievements and something about refreshments during break after his performance. He thought about his best friend. How she had been slaving her off over the choreography. He, too, had worked hard composing the song. Thinking about his best friend, he just had to do his best. He doesn’t want all those months of hard work go to waste, just like that.

“Lee Kikwang, ladies and gentlemen!” the MC said as he moved off the stage.

‘This is it.’

“You wanna da-da-da-da-dance, get your dancing shoes~”

‘I’ll make her proud.’


After the performance, Kikwang was sitting in the practice room alone with the bouquet of blue and purple orchids next to him. Just as Eunsae said, the talent scout, a he, looked for him and expressed his interest to train Kikwang. After negotiations with his mother, they shook hands and Kikwang is officially a trainee at Cube Entertainment.

“Oppa, ready to go?” Eunsae emerged at the door.

“Sure thing.” Kikwang smiled and stood up.

He had asked his mother to head home first as he will be spending more time with his best friend. He knows that once his training start, they won’t have time with each other anymore. So he decided to spend the rest of the day together, hopefully confess to her too. But for now, he didn’t want to think of it. All he wants to do today is spend as much time as possible with his best friend.

For the remaining hours of the day, they went to the amusement park. In which they rode every single ride as well as played every single games at every single booth and won almost every single prize, including the one with the blue teddy bear holding a heart that Eunsae had her eyes on. At night, they went to the night stall that belonged to Eunsae’s neighbor. There, they ate the, self-proclaimed, best bean paste noodles along with a can or two of carbonated drink, and just talked.

“Oppa, congratulations. You’re finally gonna be an artist.” Eunsae lightly punched Kikwang on the arm. “When do you start training?”

“I’m not sure.” Kikwang said softly. “But I don’t wanna go.”

“What? Why not?” Eunsae asked, rather shocked.

As far as she knows, Kikwang had always wanted to be an artist. That’s why he begged his mom to allow him to attend dance and vocal lessons. She joined him in dance lessons, but not vocal lessons. Singing wasn’t exactly her cup of tea. Now that he was finally noticed as a talent waiting to be discovered, she didn’t understand why he didn’t want to go.

“Because then I can’t hang out with you anymore.” Kikwang frowned. “I’ll be too busy with training.”

‘And I can’t see you anymore.’ Kikwang thought.

“Oh I’m sure we’ll see each other someday. I’ll just drop by during the night after your trainings.” Eunsae joked.

“We’ll see if your brother will let you or not.” Kikwang chucked.

“He’s all the way in Seoul. I don’t think he would know.” Eunsae laughed along.

Actually, Kikwang was dying on the inside. He just lied to best friend of 15 years. He knew when his training starts. And more importantly, where he will be training. He has to move to Seoul, where the headquarters is. He was moving tomorrow along with his family. He felt quite bad for asking his mom to pack everything just because he wants to hang out with Eunsae. It was quite fortunate that his mother understood his situation.

Having to leave your best friend so suddenly after knowing each other for 15 years, and worse of all, not telling them that you’re leaving. It pained Kikwang, but seeing her cry would be worse. Then it hit Kikwang. It was the best time to confess to her. That way, if she rejects him, he can leave without having to face her anymore. But if she accepts him…

‘I highly doubt she will…’ Kikwang thought.

“Eunsae, I have something to tell you.” Kikwang can feel his rapid heartbeats.

“What is it?” Eunsae took a sip from her Sprite.

“I… I li-” Kikwang was interrupted by his ringing mobile phone. “Umma, what is it?”

“Tell her I said hi!” Eunsae whispered.

“Eunsae says hi.” Kikwang rolled his eyes in amusement. “What? Alright. I’ll be there soon.”

“What is it? What did she say?” Eunsae rested her head on her propped up hands.

“She wants me back. Something important to do.” Kikwang sighed. “Come on, I’ll walk you back.”

“No. It’s ok.” Eunsae shook her head. “You have something important to do, right? I can go home myself.”

“Hmm…” Kikwang went in his thinking pose. “Me letting a poor defenseless 15 year old girl walk home all alone? Not gonna happen.”

“Hey! I’m not defenseless!” Eunsae quickly chase her best friend as soon as he took off running.

‘I’m definitely gonna miss this.’ Kikwang thought sadly.


~Jung Household~ (Front porch)

“Thanks for dropping me off, oppa. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Eunsae waved and walked into her house.

‘You won’t be seeing me tomorrow, Eunsae ah.’ Kikwang slowly walked home.


The next day, Kikwang had to leave with his family early in the morning. Kikwang, with a heavy heart, boarded the train to Seoul. He stared out the window of the train, taking one last glance at his childhood place. But a figure outside the window caught his eye. It was Eunsae! She was screaming with tears streaming down her face. As much as he wants to get off the train and run to her, he knew he couldn’t. If he wants to start a new life in Seoul, he will have to forget about the old, forget about Eunsae. For he knew that they can never be together. He put on his headphones to drown out Eunsae’s scream. He closed his eyes as he felt tears flowed freely down his cheeks.

‘I’m sorry. Eunsae ah. I can’t see you anymore. It hurts too much.’


Earlier that day…

~Jung Household~

“Umma, I’m going to Kikwang’s house.” Eunsae grabbed her sling bag and swung it over her shoulders.

“Sure. But I’m not sure if they’ve left already or not.” Eunsae’s mother said as she washed the dishes.

“What do you mean left?” Eunsae approached her mom.

“They’re moving to Seoul. Didn’t you know?” Eunsae’s mother turned around to face her daughter. “Kikwang’s going to be a singer, right?”

Without answering her mother, Eunsae bolted out the door and raced towards her best friend’s house. All she can think about was her mother’s words. If it was true, why didn’t Kikwang tell her? It couldn’t be that he didn’t have time. They were together the whole day for God’s sake! He could’ve told her then! This isn’t something like being away for a week as if he’s going to visit his grandmother or something. This is big! It’s him moving away forever to a place hours away from Kwangju! She was furious that he didn’t tell her, but she was more hurt than angry. Upon arrival, she saw men moving boxes after boxes into a truck. She guessed they were the movers.

“Excuse me, ajusshi.” Eunsae approached one of the men. “Have the Lee family left already?”

“You just missed them. They took off for the station 20 minutes ago.” The man then resumed moving boxes.

“Thank you, ajusshi!” Eunsae quickly ran towards the train station.

‘God, please let Kikwang still be there.’ Eunsae bit her lips and ran as fast as she can.

Eunsae managed to get there in 10 minutes, just as the train was about to leave the station. She fought her way through the guards at the gate when they held her back. She just wanted to see her best friend one last time, and maybe try to stop him. She quickly looked through all the windows of the train, hoping to find him.

“Oppa! Oppa!” Eunsae knocked on the window upon spotting him. “Don’t leave!”

Eunsae stared in horror at the train as it started moving. She followed its pace, never leaving the window, where Kikwang was at the other side.

“Oppa! Please don’t leave!” Eunsae screamed as loud as she could. “Don’t leave me!”

The train was too fast, she couldn’t keep up anymore. She crouched on the station floor, with tears flowing uncontrollably, watching the train take her best friend and first love away from her. She held her hand to to prevent herself from crying and screaming out loud. Her best friend was gone. Perhaps forever.

‘Kikwang…’