Two

Stars and Scars

 

                I cringed at my reflection in the bathroom mirror.  My hair was a mess.  I pushed it to the left.  Oh, the horror.  I flattened my bangs on my face.  Yeah, that’s just real y, Sehun.  I sighed and stared at myself for hours (okay, maybe three minutes) before I got an idea.  I brushed my bangs back, grabbed some hair gel, and slicked the majority of my hair to the right.  It took about ten minutes of perfecting, and I must say, I looked quite the handsome devil, especially after I splashed on just a smidge of eyeliner.  Oh good lord, I’m a narcissist.

                Anyway, once that was done, I threw on a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and a slightly fitted white t-shirt and glanced at the clock.  Three thirty.  I lazed around for a bit, drank some soda, watched some bad TV, fell asleep.  When I awoke it was eight, and I was still bored as , so I walked over to Jongin’s.  No way in hell was I getting random people’s vomit on my car again.  The good thing about Jongin’s house is that it’s way up in the hills, and the nearest house is a solid half mile away, so nobody hears the pounding bass, nobody complains, the cops don’t come.  The bad thing is it’s a long walk even though I live in the nearest house to his, and the steps up to his entrance are endless.  It’s really quite a wonder why I still hang out with him all the time.

                I rang the doorbell like I did in the afternoon, only I held my finger down on it for longer, letting out an extended ding and ultimately came the dong.  It bugged him when I did that, but at least he knew it was me.

                “Why are you so early?” he groaned, even before he opened the door.

                “I got bored.”

                He let out an exaggerated sigh.  “You need to learn how to be not bored.”

                I shrugged and walked in, but suddenly I felt his hand around my wrist.

                “Wait, turn around.”

                I did as I was told, confused.  “What?”

               He surveyed me, eyes running over my face, my clothes, and abruptly back up to my hair.  He didn’t say anything, just stared at it.

                “What?  You told me to do something with it, so I did.  It doesn’t look too terrible if you ask me.”

                He mused over it for a few more seconds.  “No, it’s not that.  You just… you look…”

                “Yeah?”

                “You look hot.”

                “Don’t you know it.”  I slapped him on the back and meandered into the kitchen, slumping against the counter.  “Feed me.”

               He gave me one of those Jongin looks.  “The refrigerator is right in’ there, like it has been for, oh I don’t know, the past fifteen years?”

                “But I’m hot.  Hot people get treated special.”

                “For the love of god, get over yourself.”  I pouted, and he rolled his eyes, grabbing an apple and tossing it to me.  “Knock yourself out.”  He went upstairs to get ready as I bit into the fruit, still bored.

 

                “Hey.”

                I turned around to see Joonmyun approaching me, cup in hand.  To be honest, I hadn’t really spoken to him very much ever since Jongin started liking him.  It just got weird.  But I didn’t have any other friends other than him and Jongin, other than those classmate people that you give a nod to in the hallway but don’t actually know.

                “Hey.”

                “Where’s Jongie?”

                Where ishe?  I hadn’t seen him since he disappeared upstairs.  The people had started arriving, and I thought maybe he’d be down there by then but he wasn’t.  “I actually don’t know.  I’ll go check his room.  Maybe he fell asleep.”  Like hell he’d fall asleep with Joonmyun down here.

                He nodded and sipped his drink, looking around.

                I ran up the stairs and slipped into Jongin’s bedroom.  “Jong?  Hello?  Don’t tell me you died.  There are way too many goddamn drunk teenagers downstairs for you to leave me right now.  Jongin?”

                I glanced around until I realized where he was.  Under the bed—his favorite spot.  I lifted the bed skirt and peeked into the darkness.  He looked up at me with big eyes as I knelt down.

                “Hey, what are you doing down here?”  He only got under the bed when he was nervous.

                “I can’t.”

                “Can’t what?”

                “Joonmyun.  I can’t.”

                “Come out of there, would you?”

                It took him a minute to agree and crawl out of the space.  “I don’t know what to do.”

                “You’ve known him for ages.  I’m sure you could just strike up a conversation and soon enough you’ll be making the hell out on this bed right here.”  I gestured to his mattress.

                “I guess…”  He looked unsure of himself, which was very un-Jongin-like.

                “Come on.  The party started, like, an hour ago.  I’m dying down there.  I need you.”

                He just stared at me.

                “I won’t let you do anything stupid.”  I held out my hand, and he finally took it, letting me haul him out to his own party.

 

                “There you guys are,” Joonmyun said, relief on his face.

                I knocked my knee against Jongin’s when he stood there with wide eyes, unspeaking.

                “H—H—Hi.”  He was a mess.

                “Hi.”  Joonmyun had a teasing glimmer in his eye because Jongin was being so damn obvious anyone could’ve been able to tell he had a thing for him.

                “H—Hi.”  Jesus, he sounded like a prepubescent boy.

                I pursed my lips and took a deep breath, taking in the room.  That’s strange, I thought, why are there so many guys here?  And why aren’t the girls crawling all over them?  “Hey, Jong?”

                It took him long enough to rip his eyes off Joonmyun and look over at me.  “Yeah?”

                “Why is there an abundance of gay guys?”

                “Well… if things don’t exactly work out with Luhan, I figured you could use some backup.”  He smiled weakly, and I don’t know how I was able to press my lips into a flatter line.

                “Thanks.”  Yes, that was sarcasm.

                “Oh, right, Luhan,” Joonmyun said, turning around and motioning at a guy to come forward.

                But that wasn’t Luhan.  Was it?  No, no, that was impossible.  This guy was wearing a black long sleeved shirt that fit his toned body just right, his skinny jeans were just like mine, but , he looked a hell of a lot better in them than I did.  The Luhan I remembered was scrawny.  He had hair that covered half his face, eyes that bore holes through your head, a scowl eternally etched into his face.  He wasn’t this kid, with a neat head of fluffy hair, tired eyes, a soft smile.  But as I took a harder look, I nearly myself.  It was definitely him.

                “Hey, long time no see.”  He put up his fingers in a casual wave, that smile still on his face.

                This time I stuttered.  “H—Hey.”

                “Jongin, I need to talk to you,” Joonmyun said, and before Jongin could babble out a load of nothing, he pulled the host out of the room.  “Have fun,” he sang out.

                Holy , I can’t do this.  This guy is hot as , this is not Luhan.  It can’t be.  I nearly had a nervous breakdown right there, Jesus.

                “I, uh…”  Great, now I sound like Jongin.  “I need to—I just—I have to do… something.”

                He cocked his head to the side a little and laughed.  “Okay.  I’ll just… be here.”  He smiled again, and I was beyond shocked at his new ability to pull the corners of his lips up.

                “I’ll, um, I’ll see you later.”  I scrambled the hell out of there and allowed myself to consume enough alcohol until I felt lightheaded and so stupidly happy I almost hit on girls.

                I ignored him for the rest of the night.

 

 

--

I feel like this is moving really slowly.  -___________-

There will be HunHan, I promise!

Eventually.