One

Stars and Scars

 

                “The are you doing here this early in the morning, Sehun?” Jongin asked wearily, rubbing the sleep from his barely opened eyes.  It had taken him a moment after opening the door to recognize me.  His eyesight isn’t too wonderful when he’s sleepy and crabby.

                “I’m bored,” I replied simply, stepping into the house as he wandered into the kitchen, still rubbing his eyes.  “And it’s actually two in the afternoon.  I heard you were throwing another party tonight,” I said as I closed the front door, speaking loudly so that he could hear in the other room.  Jongin threw a lot of parties in the summer—practically one every other Saturday night.  He had a huge house; it looked like it was made for parties.  Plus, his parents didn’t give a because they were always out on weekends, working or traveling or whatever.

                “Jesus, I’m not deaf, Sehun.  And yeah, I am.”  He took a sip of his drink—probably a protein shake or some other sickening concoction he threw in a blender because his muscles just had to be fed.  We made our way into the living room, sat on the bouncy sofa.  “Why?  You never come to them anyway.”  He took another sip.

                I traced an unidentifiable shape into the sofa’s surface, still bored out of my mind.  “I didn’t come for the party.  I’m just confirming so I know when I should get the hell out before there’s beer on my shirt and some guy retching all over my shoes.”

                “That was one time,” Jongin said, chugging half his drink.  “What are you doing in my house if you’re not here to stay?”

                “I already told you.  I’m bored.”

                “It’s not my responsibility to take care of you every time you get bored, Sehunnie.”

                We’ve been best friends since preschool, Jongin and I.  I run to him when I have problems.  Or when I have nothing to do.

                “But Jongin,” I whined, flopping against his side.  “C’mon, let’s go do something.  Cancel your party.  You have them all the time anyway.”

                “Sehun,” he said, all motherly, “you are eighteen years old.  It’s your last summer before college.  Go do something with your life.  If you don’t want to come tonight, fine, whatever.  But go out and do something before you actually have to be responsible for the you do.  Technically, you already are responsible for it.”  He took another long sip.

                I huffed, quite immaturely really.  “You just don’t want to cancel your stupid party because Joonmyun is coming, and you would just love to take advantage of his intoxication.”  Joonmyun was another friend of ours from elementary school, but somewhere in middle to high school Jongin developed a crush on the guy.

                He damn near choked to death.  “What are you talking about?”

                “You know, Joonmyun, who you’ve been pining after for god knows how long.  Joonmyun, with those dreamy eyes and that marvelous smile.  And those abs, oh yes, those delicious abs.  Jongin, wouldn’t you just love to touch his abs?”

                He shoved me off.  “Shut up.  You’re just jealous I actually have other friends.”

                “Oh, don’t be like that, Jongie.  That hurts right in the chest.”  I pulled my face into some kind of upset expression.

                “Yeah, yeah, yeah.”  He finished his drink and all of a sudden he had this weird look on his face.  “You know, you should actually come tonight.”

                “Why?”  His growing smile made me queasy.

                “Joonmyun said he was bringing a friend along.”

                “Yay for threesomes?”  I had no idea what he was getting at.

                He slugged me in the arm.  Still sore over my teasing I suppose.  “No, .  You’ve been alone all year.  It’s time you got some action.”

                I scoffed.  “Well, excuse me for being able to keep it in my pants, unlike some people.”

                “I’m a !”

                “Yeah, whatever.  Won’t make a difference after Joonmyun gets here.”

                He shot me a glare.  “Anyway, you already know the guy.”

                “The guy?”  Did I ever tell him I was gay?  I don’t know.  With Jongin, there were a lot of topics we threw around, and I knew he was into guys, but I never realized I had come out in his presence.

                He stared at me for a second, his face thoughtful.  “Did you really think I didn’t know?  Me, your best friend?”

                “I—I don’t know.  I never really thought about it.”

                “Well, I know, and I think you should put yourself out there.  Joonmyun said his name is, uh…”  He scrunched his eyebrows together, and I have to admit, I was getting kind of curious.  “Lu… Lu… Luhan?  You know, the guy from, I don’t know, seventh grade?”

                I think my eyes popped out of their sockets.  “Luhan?  You mean kid-with-a-death-glare-who-will-come-murder-you-in-the-night Luhan?”

                He gave me a look in that disapproving way he does sometimes.  “He wasn’t that bad.”

                “That kid was creepy as , and you know it.”

                “I think he was just shy.”

                I let out a breath that I think was meant to be a laugh.  “Shy?  No, I think he had issues.  He probably moved away to get psychiatric help.”

                “Don’t be so quick to judge.  You should come tonight.  Honestly, Sehunnie, I don’t think Joonmyun would invite him if he was a strange guy.  I’m sure in the past five years he’s become a very nice young man.”

                “You don’t make it sound very convincing.”

                “Well then, you’re going to miss all the fun I’ll have with Joonmyun, and then Luhan will be sitting there in the corner by himself and he’ll revert back into moody Luhan and then he’s really going to have issues and who will be to blame?  You.”

                I pressed my lips into a grimacing smile.  “Thanks for the guilt trip.”

                He patted my head.  “So see you at nine?”

                “Yeah, whatever.”  I really did want to see him make a move on good ol’ clueless Joonmyun.

                He got off the sofa and started upstairs.  “Good.  Now get out of my house.  You’re not allowed to come back until you’re primped and ready.  And, yes, I’m talking about that goddamn bird’s nest on your head.  You’re getting laid tonight, for Christ’s sake.”

                I sighed and made my way out the door.  Laid.  By creepy Luhan.  Hah!

 

 

--

Btw, what's the Kai/Suho pairing called anyway?  .___.