Tale #6: Family Portraits

Urban Legends

Tale #6: Family Portraits


Getting lost in the countryside wasn’t a big deal for Yoon Doojoon. He’s a manly guy and he can take care of himself. His phone battery died just as he was about to make a call for help and the sun was beginning to set just as he was about to begin his search for the nearest town. Despite all these unfortunate events, Doojoon never gave up and continued on walking.


He walked and walked…


And finally, he found himself deep into the woods and strayed from the path.


Just as he was about to lose all hope, a light flickered in the distance, beckoning him to come over.


It was a cabin, a small and cosy cabin with a chimney spewing out smoke.


Now, Doojoon had expected 7 little beds in the cabin, housing 7 little men, but all he found was a fully-furnished cabin with only one bed and a dining table set up for a king’s feast.


His hungry stomach begged him to grab a few bites and soon, Doojoon was enjoying the comfort and warmth of the cabin.


He dragged his feet into the bedroom and fell onto the bed with a blissful smile.


Sure, he had been lost, but this cabin had fuelled him some hope. The owner of this cabin would surely come back soon and wouldn’t mind helping a helpless and lost stranger. The next morning, he would ask the owner to bring him to the nearest town and soon, he’ll be on his way back to Seoul.


However, he felt something was wrong with the cabin and realized that the bedroom had a lot of family portraits hung all over the walls. He felt a little eerie because the paintings looked as if they were staring at him, their lifeless eyes boring into his own.


Without exception, each painting was uglier than the next. They were drawn and painted to be so life-like, he felt a little uneasy sleeping in the room. The paintings were indeed, very hideous.


Doojoon decides that the only way to sleep peacefully was to cover his whole body, including his head, with the blanket and ignore the devastatingly ugly paintings.


In the morning, Doojoon woke up to find the cabin bathed in sunlight.


As he inspected his surroundings half-asleep, he made a shocking discovery and realizes that there were no family portraits on the walls of the cabin… only windows.