Beside Them

EXO Scenarios

"What you doing, Annie?" My mom asked me. I was scratching my upper arms. My dress was itchy as crap and I couldn't take it. I was twitching really bad 'cause of it.

"This dress is itchy." I said to her.

"Stop it." She slapped my hand. "Grandma will be disappoint." We stared at my 78 year old grandmother. Her hair was snowy white and her face and body was like a dried out raisin. She was extremely irritable and has very high standards for her grandchildren. She's very hard to please.

I was sitting with my mom, my brother, and my grandmother. We were having lunch out at a restaurant and me and my brother didn't like it one bit. We moved to Los Angeles when I was three years old, and so far I only know English and a small bit of Korean. I've been attending Korean Saturday School back at the US and after all these years, my Korean had very little improvement. I tried my hardest to keep up with my mom and grandma's conversations, but my mom ends up translating what Grandma says everytime.

"What did she say?" I asked my mom.

"She say you stupid for not understand Korean." She said to me. My mother's English isn't very good, but it's still understandable, so it's okay.

"I understand Korean. I'm just not fluent." I replied.

"Then tell her that." My mom said in Korean.

"Tell me what?" Grandma asked. I hesitated for awhile, but I spoke up.

"I'm not fluent in Korean yet, but I can understand." I explained to her in Korean. I noticed her raise one of her thin, white eyebrows and rolled her eyes.

"Aigoo, Sangmi. What kind of Koreans are your children?" She asked my mom. "They're not real Koreans if they can't speak Korean!"

"We're sorry." She bowed to her respectfully and so did my brother and me. Grandma sighed a huge sigh.

"Help me to the bathroom, Sangmi." She said to my mother as she held out her arms. My mom immediately stood up and helped her. I was left alone with my brother, Kevin.

"This , dude." He said as he yawned.

"Ugh. No ." I told him. I looked at my surroundings and realized that our table was right beside six extremely handsome guys. Oh god I felt really good. Now at least I can survive another half hour with my Grandma. They glanced at me and I felt my heart drop. God they're gorgeous.

"Hey, you said earlier this morning that you were going to study until 11 pm at school tomorrow?" Kevin asked me.

"Uh, yeah. Mom and Dad said it could really help me." I said. "Although I don't see any point in that. I could just study at home until midnight. But yeah, I am. Why?"

"Aw, dude. You better be careful. The Bongcheondong Ghost might get you." He said to me in an irritating voice. Much like a voice someone makes when he tells people a ghost story.

"What the hell is a Bongcheondong Ghost?" I asked him.

"Here. This'll tell who she is." He handed me his cellphone. It showed a comic with a student walking at night.

"Wait, why do you have a ghost story comic thing saved on your phone?" I asked him skeptically.

"Like what you say to me every single day, I'm a sick and twisted assface." He answered. 

I nodded. "Ah, that explains it then."

"Just read it." He said.

I scrolled down the pictures and I grew pretty scared. Then came the "She's not there!" picture and the gif made me almost pee my .

"Holy crap!" I shouted and I accidentally threw his phone back to him and I pretty much gained the attention of the six hot guys. They were exchanging giggles. They must've understood the 'Bongcheondong' word and they saw my pathetic reaction to the story.

"God, Kevin! You're such a jerk." I said to him as I crossed my arms and pouted. He looked about to tear up from laughing.

"You're such a scaredy cat!" He exclaimed. I rolled my eyes and snatched his phone away from him.

"Hey! Give it back!" He exclaimed and stood up. I ran to the girl's restroom so he couldn't chase me.

"Goddammit! Annie, give it back!" He shouted as he knocked on the door.

"What you doing here, Annie?" My mom asked as she waited outside a cubicle. "Oh, you gonna pee. Nevermind I asked."

"Yeah, I'm gonna pee." I said and went inside a cubicle. I texted Kevin's girlfriend and sent him dirty text messages, making it look like he send it. I went outside and back to our table. I saw the six boys looking at me. They probably saw Kevin chasing me to the restroom a few minutes ago.

"Here's your phone~" I said to him.

"Oh god, Annie. What did you do?" He looked at the messages I sent using his phone and the replies his girlfriend sent to him. "Seriously, dude! You are sick."

"I know."

"I mean it, Annie. Alex is really pissed at me right now." He said. "Great, just great. Thanks, Anne! Thanks a lot."

"I didn't mean it to go that far.." I said.

"Well it did, okay?" He said angrily. He covered his face with his hand, looking really frustrated. I felt guilty. Even if I got back at him for embarrassing me in front of the six boys beside us, it still felt really wrong. I did take it too far, didn't I?

I looked at the flatscreen tv at the wall. It showed a music video of a kpop boy band. Of course, Korea's famous for them. But I don't recognize that boy band. Well, all I know is DBSK, Super Junior, 2PM, and some others. This must be a rookie group.

The tune was really catchy. The title of the song's MAMA. At first I thought it was gonna be some cheesy song for Mothers' Day or something, but it wasn't. It was really cool. I started to sing along with it, and I could see the boys staring at me. They had a weird expression on their faces. I glanced back at the tv and noticed that the boys there looked familiar.

The rap part came up and the guys looked EXACTLY like the boys beside us! I glanced back and forth to them to make sure I wasn't just having hallucinations. I didn't realize that they were staring at me that whole process. I saw a few groups of girls squealing and giggling to each other and pointing to the boys. They were shouting something like, "EXO oppas!" I think. Then I heard one of the guys murmur in Korean, "She's finally getting it."

I can't believe it. We were sitting next to a kpop boy band. Then it hit me. I embarrassed the crap out of myself in front of a kpop boy band!

I tapped Kevin's shoulder to see what I was seeing. "Hey, dude, check out the tv." He shrugged my hand off. He was ignoring me.

"Dude look at the tv!" I exclaimed. I could see the tallest guy out of the six chuckling. I tried to be inconspicuous and tried to make Kevin look.

"Please, Kevin!" I pleaded.

"You already made my girlfriend mad at me for something I clearly did not do. And now she doesn't believe me when I kept saying that you did it and not me." He said angrily.

"Just one glance!" I exclaimed. He rolled his eyes and turned around to look at the tv screen. There was a guy screaming with stuff painted on his face.

"That's what you want to show me?" He said, annoyed. "A bunch of screamo?"

"No, no! That's not what I meant!" I shouted. "Oh look look! It's them!"

"Annie! Just shut up okay? I don't care." He said.

"Ugh. Fine then." I replied. I glanced back at the boys and they all waved at me. I blinked several times and waved back.

I glanced back to Kevin. I felt really bad. And I mean, really, really bad. I had to fix this.

I dialed his girlfriend's number on my phone and I videocalled her.

"Hey, you're Kevin's little sister." She said to me.

"Uh, yeah." I answered. I looked at Kevin, and his eyes were widened and clearly, he was shocked.

"Listen, I know you two had a fight a few minutes ago." I said. "I was the one who sent the texts, okay? We were having a pathetic fight with each other and it was really awful of me to do that. I'm sorry." I explained to her.

"Really?" She asked.

"Really." I said. "Here. You go talk to him." I handed Kevin my phone and they talked to each other. I can't help but smile considering how happy Kevin now looked. I glanced at the group and one of them actually gave me a thumbs up.

They finished talking to each other and Kevin had a huge smile plastered on his face.

"Thanks, Anne." He said.

"No prob." I said. Then we did our super awesome sister brother handshake/brofist. Yeah, we're weird people. And I don't care if those guys find me weird. I'm gonna leave this country and back to LA a few days from now, so.. what the hell, right?

My mom and my grandma came back from the restroom.

"Your grandma sick. We go to hospital." My mom said. We hurried and grabbed our stuff and headed out.

I looked at the six guys one more time and they all smiled at me. Well, this day couldn't have gotten better.


"She's really cute isn't she?" I said to them.

"She didn't even know who we were." Baekhyun replied. "But yeah. She was pretty cute."

"You better thank me that I translated everything she said for you!" Kyungsoo said.

"Thanks!" We all said to him.

"She's... different." Jongin said.

"She's pretty weird." Sehun continued.

"Then you two're perfect for each other, Chanyeol!" Joonmyun nudged me on the arm.

"Yeah. Too bad I may never see her again."