When Rain Fell

When the Rain Ends

--Taemin's POV--

"It really is a shame. She was so young. Only 18. The poor child. Because of a car crash."

"I know. It's really a pity. Her parents must be devastated!"

My name is Lee Taemin. I am 18 years old. My noona was in a car accident yesterday. And she died today.

I wiped a tear from my eye, glad to know that my sunglasses were covering my eyes, which were completely red from the tears. The funeral was to be held within two days. The whole Lee family had shown up at our house, bringing gifts of sympathy and pitying looks. I didn't want their gifts. Or their sad faces. I didn't need it. All I needed was for Miyun to be alive again, to reassure me that this was all a dream, that her death was an April Fools joke.

But she was gone. Gone.

Noona. Noona, where are you? Why aren't you here beside me? Laughing, smiling, talking. Breathing. Why are you already in a box, ready to be held in a funeral? Wae? Tell me.

"Taemin."

I turned my head. "Oh. Mom."

My mother patted my shoulder. "I was talking with the guests. Oh dear. Taemin-ah, why are you wearing sunglasses inside of the house?"

When I didn't answer, she took them off my face, revealing my red, blotchy eyes. My mother's face softened. Seeing my wet eyes caused her lip to tremble too.

"Oh, Taemin!" she sobbed. "I miss her! I miss Miyun!"

She gripped my shoulders weakly and hugged me. Her sobs echoed throughout the room. Everyone stared at us. I just stood there. My tears had dried out. But my body was now frozen as ice. It felt like I couldn't move. Not because of my mother's grip, but because of Miyun. Miyun, my beloved step-sister, who I'd been with for almost 10 years already. Until now.

"Miyun-ah..." my mother cried against my chest. "Why did you have to die?!"

My step-father walked up to us and released my mother's hold on me. "Dear, don't cry. I can't bear to--"

"She's gone!!!" she interrupted, tears still falling. "Our Miyun is dead!"

I thought that all my tears had dried up. But they were now refilling my eyes, blurrying my vision. Miyun. The sister that I loved. The sister that I never got to confess to.

I love you. More than a brother should.

~ ~ ~

--Author's POV--

"Taemin, talk to me. You've been so silent lately," Minho said.

"Yeah," Key agreed. "I know your sister's de--"

"Gone, but you shouldn't act like this," Jonghyun interrupted. He glared at Key for almost uttering the word 'dead' to Taemin.

"Yeah, Tae. Life moves on. And you should, too."

Taemin stared at the wall, which was what he'd been doing for the past hour. He didn't even look at his friends. He just continued to stare into nothing. Miyun. Why am I so depressed? Why are you making me feel this way? Taemin didn't feel like talking. In fact, he didn't feel like eating, sleeping, or even doing much of anything. His friends had seen his behavior and was worried about his recent actions. (More like non-actions.)

"Taemin, would you at least talk to us?" Minho repeated.

"Or, like, say something. Anything." Jonghyun joined in.

They waited for another minute before Onew gave Taemin a look. "Aish! Boy, why won't you just --"

"Will you guys just leave me alone?!" Taemin yelled.

The sudden exclamation stunned all of the members. They hadn't expected Taemin to react, let alone yell back at Onew. It was something Taemin had never done before. He had never yelled at his friends before, or even interrupted them before. This was the first time.

"If you guys care about me, then just get out of my room!" he shouted. "Go away."

Everyone's faces softened. They nodded their heads and walked out together. "We'll see you at dinner, Taemin."

Taemin stared after them until they disappeared. He hadn't wanted to shout, but something inside of him felt angry. He felt bad for taking it out on his friends. What is wrong with me lately?

~ ~ ~

Taemin had met Miyun when he was 9 years old. His mother had divorced with his father a few years earlier. His mother had met Miyun's father and fell in love. The year that Taemin's mother announced of her new lover was the year that he'd met Miyun. Taemin still remembered that day.

"Annyeonghaseyo! My name is Miyun! Nice to meet you!" the smiling girl had said.

Taemin shyly smiled. "My name is Lee Taemin. Nice to meet you too."

Miyun shook his hand and giggled. "I'm going to be your sister soon! My daddy is marrying your mommy in a couple weeks. Isn't that exciting?!"

Taemin nodded. "Ah...ye."

"You are so cute!" Miyun squealed. "How old are you Taemin-sshi?"

"I'm nine."

Miyun's eyes widened. "Chincha? Really? Me too! When's your birthday?"

"Um...July 18th."

Miyun smiled. "My birthday is on May 20th. So I'm older than you. You have to call me noona."

"Noona," Taemin said.

"Yes?"

"Nothing." he grinned. He had only wanted to try out the word.

Ever since then, they'd been unseparable. They'd always be side by side. Everyone at school named them the 'Couple-Related-By-Family'. Miyun and Taemin had shared the same household from the moment that his mother and her father wedded. Even when Taemin debuted in SHINee, he and Miyun were still very close, although they saw each other very rarely. Miyun would visit his dorm whenever she could, bringing food to satisfy the boys. Taemin would occasionally go back home to visit his family.

"You're famous now, Taemin. You don't need noona anymore, do you?" Miyun asked him once.

"Of course I do!" Taemin exclaimed. "I will always need Noona no matter where I am."

"Aigoo! You cute little boy!" Miyun had said, squeezing his cheeks.

"Aish! Miyun-ah! Don't do that!"

Taemin's thoughts wandered off as he remembered that memory. A good memory. In fact, most of his memories of Miyun were good ones. She loved him a lot, like a sister would love a real brother. But Taemin had always wished for more. He wanted Miyun to love him as more than a brother. Now, he only wanted her back.

~ ~ ~

--Minri's POV--

Today is my very first day at SM Arts High. I've never been here before, so it'll be interesting. I transferred from K High, which is a rival school nearby. My parents had persuaded me to come here after showing me the art classes and material. I simply couldn't resist. I'm a huge art nerd. I draw, sketch, paint, you name it. So coming to an art school is a right decison . . . right?

As I enter the big building, I pull out my map and study it. My locker is on the top floor. Hmm...I'll get a nice view of the outdoors. Perfect.

As I stumble up the stairs, I get lost with all the signs and doors, all the numbers making me jumbled. I scan the hall, looking for a locker labeled C136. After a minute, I give up and tap a boy's shoulder. He turns around. I am a little surprised to have tapped a shoulder of a handsome boy.

"Excuse me, but . . . do you know where locker C136 is?" I asked.

He hesitated before nodding without a word. He started to walk, so I followed him, not knowing what else to do. He turned down a hallway.

"So, what's your name?" I asked, wanting to start a conversation. I could try getting a new friend. A handsome new friend would be even better.

He didn't say anything for a minute, making me wonder if he was going to reply. But he spoke softly. "I'm Taemin."

"Ah, nice to meet you, Taemin. I'm Minri. Park Minri."

He stopped at a locker and pointed it to me. C136. I bowed my head. "Thank you very much!"

He nodded silently. I turned to my locker and started twirling my combination. I felt his presence still at my side. I blushed, but didn't look up.

"You know, you don't have to stay. You should go to your locker before class starts."

My hands spun the lock, ending at my last number. When he didn't say anything, I looked up. To see him spinning the lock right next to mine.

"Eh?! That's your locker?"

He opened his locker and put away his things before looking at me. "Ye."

I nodded and he went back to pulling out his books. I grinned to myself. This is a good start to the year.


Thank you for reading! I hope that you liked the first chapter! Hopefully it wasn't too boring... ^^'

Please let me know how you feel by commenting on my story! Thanks again for reading!