When the Rain Ends

When the Rain Ends

--Minri's POV--

I found out that Taemin died two weeks later.

It had been a Tuesday morning. I was in Health class. I was watching his empty desk as Jaejoong took attendance. I waited and waited. When his name called, his desk was still empty. He was still not there. I'd told myself, Maybe he's just late. Maybe he woke up late and he'll come later on. But even after attendance, after the end of class, he never ever showed up. I didn't see him at lunch. I called his cell phone number over and over. But nobody answered. Not once. And on that day, I cried my heart out in the school courtyard, where we had always spent so much time together.

No. This is a mistake. It has to be. He must be at home, sick in bed or something. Or maybe he's on vacation with his family. There's a number of possibilities. He can't be dead. There's no way.

I wiped the tears from my eyes. Then I'd ran off of school property and bolted as fast as I could to the hospital. I didn't know what I had expected. I didn't know what I'd see. I didn't even know how I would find him. But he made it easy for me.

Sitting on a bed, a white blanket covering his whole body, save for his lean face, was Lee Taemin. I felt my heart stop at that second when I saw him. I felt my blood run cold. His dry, pale lips were lifeless. His drained blonde hair was worse than before. And his brown eyes were closed like they weren't going to see the world ever again.

That was the day my world turned into nothing.

I dashed to his lifeless body and screamed his name over and over again, shaking his limp body. His mother and father wore red eyes and despairing faces as I wept onto Taemin's cold shirt. They kept on shouting at me, "He's dead! He's dead!" They hauled me away from Taemin. And all I could do was scream out my agony as I watched him disappear into a room far, far away from me.

I didn't go back to school that day. I stayed in the hospital with his parents and waited silently for anything. A doctor came back and told us that Taemin was officially dead. I'd already known it when I saw him. I didn't need to hear it from a doctor to know. His parents were crying again. I'd remained silent, standing like a sculpture as they wept to themselves.

The funny thing is, the day I finally returned to school, the first person who came to see me was Kim Jaejoong. I was sitting down on the ground next to Taemin's locker. It was cold and lonely, which didn't make me feel any better, but at least it reminded me of him.

That was when Jaejoong walked toward me, coming down the hall. I wondered to myself, How did he know where my locker was? Then he stopped right in front of me, standing there as tall as a giant. It made me uncomfortable to see him towering above me. I felt small and weak. As he stared down at me, I edged closer to Taemin's locker. That seemed to relax me a bit. I felt like Taemin was right next to me, protecting me.

"What do you need, Jaejoong-sshi?" I asked.

He chuckled. "No greetings to your teacher?"

"Student teacher," I corrected him.

"Right," he said, frowning at my defensive tone. "Listen, Minri, I just--"

"Minri-sshi," I corrected. "You're still a teacher, after all. We need to be respectful to one another."

He cleared his throat, obviously feeling agitated by my behavior. "Anyway, Minri-sshi, I was just wondering if you wanted to have coffee sometime. You know, repayment for the ice cream that I got you."

I raised an eyebrow. "I owe you?"

I'd never seen him so uncomfortable before. He fidgeted with his hands and stood there awkwardly, looking more or less helpless. "Ahem, I wouldn't quote it like that, but coffee sounds fine. And I know you've been going through some difficulties and--"

"Kim Jaejoong-sshi," I interrupted, not able to stand it any longer. I couldn't stop the iciness to my voice. "A person whom I loved has died. Do you consider that as a difficulty? I would like to be as polite as I can, Jaejoong-sshi, but I would like it if you'd not invite me for coffee at the moment. Go pick another girl to flirt around with, but make sure she hasn't been going through some difficulties involving death. I'm sure that's not too hard to do. And I'm sure you're an expert at that. Also, make sure that she doesn't die because of your reckless driving."

I knew how cruel I sounded, but I couldn't stop my anger at that second. Maybe it was due to Taemin's death, or maybe it was just because Jaejoong was obviously trying to hit me up. Whatever it was, I knew it was better to be blunt about it. Even so, Jaejoong's kindness toward me made me feel a little remorseful about it.

I looked up slowly at Jaejoong. I was surprised to see his face look so turbulent. His cold expression frightened me, creating goose bumps on my arms. He bent down to my eye level and leaned closer until I could sense his body heat.

"Listen, Minri, you need to get over Taemin. He's dead. Stop being stubborn and move on already. It's not like he's going to return if you cry. There are people around you who are interested in you. Don't make them waste their time on you." It sounded like a threat to me. I had no idea Jaejoong had it in him to be so irked. It made me nauseous to see him throw away his mask and turn into something so much more darker.

"If Taemin isn't my soulmate, I'm pretty sure you can't be either," I snapped. "Excuse me, but I don't think I'll be able to accompany you with coffee anytime soon."

And just like that, I stood up and left, leaving Jaejoong with his mouth open in shock.

~ ~ ~

--Author's POV--

On the day of the Finals, the SM Creative Arts Competition had found its winner. There were of people in the audience as the curtains drew away to show the final winner. Minri had attended, as well as the rest of SHINee to support her. Each and every member had given Minri a talking-to, telling her that her piece was wonderful and was surely able to win first place. Minri hadn't been so sure, but she had to admit it, she was pleased with her work.

The final winner was -- as expected -- the painting titled 'When the Rain Ends' by Park Minri. The long-awaited piece was an illustration of spring trees rooted on two sides of a green park, with delicately colored spring flowers planted into the ground. In the middle of the painting was a bench with a girl and a boy, cuddling close to one another under an umbrella with a drop of rain sizzling down. The crowd cheered loudly. The SHINee boys and Minri danced in a circle together joyfully. Minri, who was a little surprised to receive first place, walked up to the stage nervously. She cleared as she spoke into the microphone.

"Thank you very much, everyone. I didn't exactly expect to win first place in this competition," she started softly. "I want to share with everyone a secret involving my painting: this painting was first inspired by memories of my old friend, Lee Taemin, who passed away a few weeks ago."

The crowd became hushed as Minri spoke his name. His death had been dealt quietly without anyone speaking about it. They all knew how Taemin used to be popular and how he suddenly became a shadow after his sister died. Taemin's funeral was a week ago. Close students and teachers attended, including Minri and the SHINee boys. That day, they all cried as recollections of Taemin resurfaced.

"That is why I dedicate this painting to him," Minri continued. "I dedicate this painting to my loving friend, who will always be in my heart: Lee Taemin. He was a kind and caring boy when you got to know him more. He liked to keep to himself often, but we all know he actually preferred being with his loved ones. I remember him as the boy who made me treasure love. He was the boy who I'd met and adored right in the middle of the spring season. He is the reason why this painting has earned its rank. So thank you, everyone."

The crowd cheered loudly and threw up their hands in celebration. At that second, the audience started to chant out "Lee Taemin! Lee Taemin!" Their hands were pumped in the air as if honoring a leader who had been with them throughout their entire lives. The chanting, the support, the calling of his name, everything about that moment seeped into Minri's mind, letting her remember this memory. A small drop of tear fell down her face. I'll forever remember you, Lee Taemin. Just like everyone else.

~ ~ ~

--Minri's POV--

I lightly colored the paper with a dim yellow-colored pencil. I picked up a chocolate brown color pencil and tinged the almond shaped eyes with as much refinement as I could. I outlined the shape of the jaw with a dark pencil, carefully tracing each line, each shadow, each memory. When I was finished, I picked up the paper, which was now filled with color and vibrancy. His face was just as I remembered it. Just as I imagined it.

After a year, I still hadn't been able to get over him. Lee Taemin, why have you taken my heart with you? Will you ever give it back? I stared at his face, just an image on a clean sheet of paper. His brown eyes were intense on mine. No, he seemed to say. I'd rather take your heart with me instead. I don't plan to give it back.

Shaking my head, I stood up and turned over my drawing, covering it up. I sighed loudly, my thoughts still lingering over him. I observed my desk and spotted a folded letter exposed on top of my shelf. Curiously, I pulled it out and unfolded it, wondering what it was. It all came back to me then as I read through the letter; a small smile on my lips.

Dear Minri,

I don't know where to begin. I guess I'll start at the beginning. When I first met you, you were just the girl who seemed overly-happy and overly-pleased to see me wherever I went. But in my heart, I was secretly glad to have someone paying attention to me, caring about me and how I felt. That's the best thing about you. You always have a smile on your face no mater where you go. That's how I know you'll be fine. I know you'll be fine even when I'm not around. You'll make new friends and you'll be happier than you have ever been before. You won't have to constantly worry about cheering me up from my depression. Because you can move on. And I want you to know how glad that I am to have met you. You changed my life and made me happy even at the end of it. I'm sorry for worrying you. But the main thing I've been trying to tell you all along, even though I've been too scared to tell you myself, is this: I love you. You became a part of me after you came into my life. Remember how I told you that a person can have a dead heart? Do you remember what you told me? You said, "A broken heart can still be fixed." Those were your words. I didn't believe you then, but now, as I sit here in my bed, knowing that it's time for me to leave, I realize that you're right. And I realize that you were my cure, Minri. You saved me. Thank you for everything. You are what I see when the rain ends. When the sun rises, you are what I see.

Lee Taemin

The first time that I'd read it, I'd cried all day. In fact, I'd cried for weeks. I was angry at myself for never telling him that I felt the same. I never got to tell him how I felt. All I did was kiss him. I wasn't sure if that was enough to make him understand. But now, the second time that I read this letter, I know that he knew. He knew that I loved him too. And instead of tears, I smile.

~ ~ ~

"Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn."

-Mahatma Gandhi

--Author's POV--

The young woman ran through the streets, trying her best to dodge the rain that was peddling down from above. She was already late and didn't want to make her co-workers even more annoyed than usual. They had the habit of being extra strict towards new workers. They liked to call her Newbie.

A car honked loudly as the woman jumped just in time onto the side walk, barely avoiding a collision with the truck. Standing under a dry roof, the woman wiped the water off of her hair and clothes, not wanting to look like a drenched cat when arriving to work. Just as she started walking towards the building, she bumped right into a stranger's chest.

"Oops!" she exclaimed, looking up at the passerby. "Sorry, sir."

The young man raised his umbrella higher, revealing his face. He smiled at her politely. "No worries, miss."

The embarrassed woman smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, I was in a rush to get to work. I'm running a little late. I knew I should have brought an umbrella!" she muttered to herself with a frown.

The man chuckled lightly. And to her surprise, he pressed the umbrella into her hands. "Here, you can take it. You don't want to look all wet when you arrive at work, right?"

The surprised woman looked at him in astonishment. "R-Really? You'll lend it to me? Omo, gomawo!" She bowed several times before scurrying away. The man watched her leave while the rain plummeted down onto him. Watching her little legs sprint through the puddles and her long brown hair swishing down her back, he had a sense of deja vu. He didn't ever recall seeing her before, but a memory zapped into his mind, but quickly diminished just as it came.

"Miss!" he called.

She turned around and grinned at him. "Nae?"

He bit his lip, not knowing what to tell her. Instinctively, he blurted, ". . . You smell like flowers."

She paused, seemingly startled by his statement. She sniffed herself, which made him laugh. Then her smile returned again.

"Well, you smell like fresh rain."


The end, everyone~ Thanks again for all the support and all the comments! They motivate me to write the best that I can and I hope this story touched your hearts! As for the ending, I'll leave it up to you guys to think about. Thanks for your time~ I love you all! -Le Author