New Horizon

When the Rain Ends

--Minri's POV--

"What is your full name?"

"Lee Taemin."

"What is your birth date?"

"July 18, 1993."

I paused and blinked at him. "Really?! You don't look like it!"

Taemin scowled. "Just continue."

I nodded and scribbled down his birth date. We were in Health class again. Seongsaeng Goo had told us to interview our partners from before, so that we could practice the life of a nurse. Now here I was, writing down information about Taemin.

"You're young," I commented, not able to control myself. "Younger than you look, anyway."

"Are you calling me old?"

"N-No! Of course not!" I whined. "That's not what I meant!"

"I don't believe you," he said. But I could tell he was just joking. When did he start joking around? I wondered.

"And how old are you?" he asked in return.

"I was born on August 10, 1993," I answered.

"You don't look like it," he said, imitating my words with a smile.

I smacked his arm playfully. "Yah, you meanie!"

"What are you two up to?" Jaejoong suddenly appeared at our sides.

I smiled sheepishly. "Nothing. We're just doing our work."

"Really? It doesn't look like it." He gave a suspicious glance at Taemin.

"Mianhe, Jaejoong-sshi. We'll continue with our work," I promised, smiling innocently.

"Good," said Jaejoong, walking back to his desk.

Taemin became more hushed afterwards. He answered my questions, but barely replied with any of the enthusiasm as he had before. This irked me. I kept quiet about it for a while until I couldn't stand it anymore.

"Taemin, you know it's okay to talk, right? Jaejoong-sshi won't get too mad at us," I whispered, eyeing him secretively.

"I am talking," he responded. "Can you not hear me?"

"You know that's not what I mean," I sighed.

"My diet consists of fruits, vegetables, protein, and grain."

I gawked at him. "What?"

This time, it was him who sighed. "The answer to the question on the worksheet."

"Ohh. Right," I said, writing it down slowly. "Fruits, vegetables, pro--"

"I saw you yesterday."

"W-What?" I turned my eyes back onto him.

"I saw you yesterday," he repeated. "With them. Outside of school."

"Oh, um, I see," I replied, focusing on writing again.

"What did they want?"

"Fruits, vegetables, pro--"

He gripped my hand and stopped me from writing. I froze in place and glanced up at him. His eyes were big and serious again.

"What did they say?" he asked.

I pulled my hand away from him and his face softened. I scratched my chin nervously.

". . . Nothing, really."

He knew I was lying, but he didn't press on. Instead, he leaned back against his chair and didn't say a thing. I watched him closely, wondering what he was thinking.

"You were there?" I asked.

"I guess," he murmured.

"Why didn't you say hello?"

He paused and stared at his hands. " . . . I was, um, I was . . . Let's get back to work."

I nodded understandingly. "What does your diet consist of?"

"You already asked me that."

"Oh."

~ ~ ~

At lunch, we sat out of the school building again. After yesterday's weather, the sun was miraculously out again. I was grateful.

"What a nice day."

Taemin watched the birds flying in the sky. "I guess so."

I scowled at him. "Stop sounding so down! It was raining yesterday! This is much better." But to be honest, if I had said the weather was nice yesterday, he'd probably say the same exact thing.

"Then why did you look so happy yesterday?" he asked.

I frowned. "I was happy?"

"You looked like it," he replied.

"Well . . ." I started. "Rain isn't all that bad. I just like the sun more."

"What do you think of rain?"

I asked myself the same question yesterday, I thought. A smile formed against my lips. "Hmm...Rain. Rain can be a peaceful image. I think of it as how Earth is rinsed out. How everything is renewed. That's why the sun has come out. Because the world has been refreshed."

He seemed to ponder on my opinion for a while. I nibbled on my burger quietly while watching him. Taemin seemed to be satisfied with what I said. He smiled at me.

"I guess you're right."

"Aren't I always?" I joked with a giggle.

"Probably," he answered, poking at his burger.

"Are you ever going to eat that?"

"Probably not."

"You're no fun. You said your diet consists of fruits, vegetables, protein, and grain! But all you eat is air," I complained.

"I don't want people to start worrying about my diet," he said, as if it made any difference.

"You shouldn't cover up the truth," I told him. "'For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth.'"

"What a wise statement."

"It's from Bo Bennett," I answered. "I love that quote."

"Are you saying that I should tell people that I eat air?"

I laughed. "Only if it's the truth."

"It's not the truth, though." He frowned. "I do eat. Just not when I'm full."

"Aren't you hungry right now?"

He shook his head. "No."

"Why? Normal people get hungry at this time of the day. What's up?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I don't eat breakfast in the mornings anymore. Nor lunch. I eat dinner, though."

I froze in the middle of my bite of the burger. "Are you serious?! That's not normal!"

He shrugged again and stared at his burger unhappily. This concerned me. Eating only 1 meal a day was not a good thing. No wonder why he's so thin. I can't let him do this to himself.

"Eat that burger right now, or else," I ordered, pointing at his uneaten lunch.

"Or else what?" he asked.

"Or else . . ." I trailed off. What would make him eat it? "Or else I'll let everyone know that you're eating only air."

Taemin pursed his lips, which distracted my thinking process. Then he scratched his head. "What do I get for eating this?"

"A full stomach."

"That's it? No prize? That's no fun," he teased lightly.

"Fine. What do you want as a prize?" I asked.

His eyes wondered off into the distance; he was lost in his thoughts again. "I don't know yet."

"Well, let me know when you do. But for now, eat up!" I commanded.

"Yes, ma'am," he grinned.

~ ~ ~

--Heena's POV--

They sat there laughing and talking. My nails dug sharply into my skin as I squeezed my hands into sweaty fists. Park Minri. Stop pushing my buttons. Stop taking my things away. I can't stand you. I glared at her as she smiled widely at Taemin. She is such a player. Thinking that every boy would go for her just because she was new. Well, let me tell you, missy. I'm not letting you take Taemin. You can have the rest of SHINee, or even Jaejoong. But I'm not letting you steal Taemin away from me.

I huffed out my frustration and turned around.

"Heena!" someone called.

I glanced behind me. She had seen me. I glowered darkly at her before walking back into the school.

Just you wait, Park Minri. Just you wait.

~ ~ ~

--Author's POV--

Jonghyun the last of the sauce from his fingers. He grinned pleasantly.

"Man, that barbecue rib was awesome!"

"You bet," Key replied, still occupied with his own.

Minho cracked a smile. "And it was filling. My stomach feels like I can't ever eat again."

"I wouldn't say that," Onew cut in. "I still have room for dessert."

"You have got to be kidding me," Jonghyun laughed. "Hyung, you never fail to impress me with your appetite."

"That's me," Onew declared with a proud smile. "Onew the Chicken Lover."

They silently rested upon the picnic tables in the school's courtyard. The ribs had been a present from the Umbrella Girls. (Their new nickname.) Personally cooked for their 'handsome oppas.

"The Umbrella Girls are quite kind, aren't they?" Key commented, staring at the girls who were giggling in the grass.

"They have fantastic cooking skills," Onew added.

"But they're not really my type," Jonghyun said. "I think Minri is more of my type."

Jonghyun was suddenly aware of his friends' stares. "W-What? I was just saying."

"We didn't say anything," Minho told him.

"But you implied something with your looks," Jonghyun said, annoyed. "And don't go the wrong way. I just think Minri is really my ideal type."

"And you're telling us not to go the wrong way," Key said, rolling his eyes. "How can we not?"

"She's not yours to take," Onew warned.

"I didn't say anything about taking her!" Jonghyun whined. "I was just . . . Oh, hey, it's Heena."

The boys turned their heads. Heena was approaching the Umbrella Girls. The trio had been friends since forever. They were always together, talking and gossiping about everyone and everything.

"What's up with Heena? She looks pissed," Key observed.

"I don't know. Maybe she was trying to find Taemin again," Onew guessed.

"She hasn't done that for a while. I wonder why she wanted to sit with him that time." said Jonghyun.

Minho frowned. "Maybe she's friends with Minri. They seemed close for a while."

"Speaking of Minri, where is she?" Jonghyun asked. "Not that I care," he added after a few looks from his friends.

"She might be with Taemin. I've seen them walking to class together," Key said.

"Their lockers are right next to each other, too," Onew noted.

"You don't have a chance," Minho added.

Jonghyun groaned. "Would you guys stop it?!"

~ ~ ~

"Still haven't thought of a prize for yourself?"

"Nope."

"Come on, it shouldn't take this long."

Minri and Taemin were walking in the school hallways, using up the leftover lunch time that was left. As promised, Taemin had eaten up his burger obediently without complaints. Now they walked around while Taemin pondered on his prize. Minri, on the other hand, was busy distracting herself with Henna's appearance at lunch.

Why is she ignoring me? She can't be mad at me for this long, right? What did I do to upset her this much? Minri walked in a daze. Should I go talk with her? Maybe try and make it up with her? Perhaps that would--

"Whoa!" she squealed as her foot tripped against the floor. Minri stumbled and felt Taemin wrap his arm around her waist, stopping her from a potential fall.

"You alright?" he asked in concern.

"Um, I'm fine," she mumbled, looking away. Maybe it's the fall that's making my heart race. Or is it something else? Minri wondered to herself as her cheeks steamed.

"Hmm, I know," Taemin suddenly spoke.

"W-What?"

"I've thought of my prize," he explained.

"Ah! Right. So, what is it?"

"Walk me home today," he said.

Minri beamed. "Deal."