These Feelings

When the Rain Ends

--Taemin's POV--

I jerked as the bell rang loudly, declaring the end of class. I heard the sound of squeaking shoes, running out of the classroom. I slowly treaded from my desk toward the door. I made it out just in time to bump into someone. Unfortunately, it was Heena.

"Oh! Excuse me, Taemin Oppa," she gushed, not looking sorry at all. "I didn't mean to--"

"Sure, you didn't. Please be careful of your surroundings," I said meaningfully, walking past her. Why is she even here? I don't usually see her over here at the end of class.

"O-Oppa, I actually came to see you," she said, feigning shyness.

I made no comment and continued to walk. I heard her footsteps follow me persistently and I mentally sighed. I thought she'd given up years ago. I guess I was wrong.

"Why are you so cold, Oppa?" she asked.

"I'm not your Oppa!" I snapped in exasperation.

"You're not?" she asked, blinking at me. It didn't have the same charm that Minri had given.

"You're most likely older than me. So please stop it," I spoke as politely as I could.

"Alright then . . . dongsaeng," she muttered. "B-But that's not my point!"

"Then what's your point?"

"I came here to tell you something."

"Like what?" I sighed. Don't tell me something pointless, Heena. I heard you the first time around.

Her face became darker and her eyes were more intimidating. She leaned closer and I flinched away. Unfazed by my reaction, she moved toward my ear and whispered.

"Don't hang out with that Minri girl. She's no good. I heard that she's involved with Teacher Jaejoong. I'm just warning you."

Heena pulled away and smiled widely as if she hadn't said a thing. "See you around, Taemin saeng."

My hands were numb as I arrived at my locker. It was difficult to twirl the lock. As I opened it up, a small letter fell out from the top shelf.

Taemin Oppa,

I'm sorry, but I won't be able to give you your prize. I am busy with other things. You know I can't always hang out with you. My life doesn't revolve around you. So, bye!

Park Minri

I held the note in my hands. I didn't notice that my fingers were trembling until the note was wrinkled. What could she be so busy with? Why is she breaking her promise and telling me on a sheet of paper? Couldn't she have told me face to face? I couldn't fathom why I was so disappointed. She had her own life to live and I had mine. She doesn't have to hang out with me all the time. It's reasonable. Yet I was feeling bothered by it. I slowly sat down against the cold ground and stared at Minri's locker. She was already gone. Where did she go?

--Author's POV--

Minri slowly treaded her feet across the pavement, taking her time with her walk. Her footsteps crinkled the dry leaves that lay beneath her. The autumn wind blew across her face and her long chocolate hair whipped behind her. Minri enjoyed quiet walks by herself. She used to walk home alone after school when she attended K High. Her friends would always stare at her in mystification.

Minri! Minri! She frowned. Have I gone insane? Why am I imaging Taemin calling my name?

"Minri!"

That's when she realized that it wasn't her imagination. She heard him loud and clear as his footsteps clapped loudly towards her. Minri spun around and faced him in question. The boy's blonde hair bounced against his forehead as he jogged toward her. His breath was ragged as if he'd been running for a while already.

"T-Taemin-sshi?!" Minri exclaimed, her eyes wide open.

"...Nae." Taemin stopped short in front of the shocked girl. He scratched his hair sheepishly, as if not knowing what else to say.

Neither did Minri. She had no clue as to why he had come in such a hurry. "W-What are you doing here?"

"Um, I was . . . nearby and I spotted you," he answered a little too quickly.

"Ah, chinchayo?" she asked, tilting her head with a dubious expression. She knew he was lying by the way he breathed so deeply from the exercise.

Taemin nodded, ignoring her pointed look. "Why are you so busy that you can't walk home with me?"

Minri blinked and gasped, covering with her small hand. "Omo! I forgot!"

This time it was Taemin who stared at her with doubt. "You forgot? But then, why'd you slip that note into my locker?"

"N-Note?" she repeated in bafflement. "When did I give you a note?"

"You didn't?!" he exclaimed, taking out the note to re-examine it. "Then who did?"

Minri stepped closer to Taemin and peeked at the note. Unpleasured by the accusation of the note, she quickly pointed at it hurtfully.

"That's not my handwriting!"

The more she looked at it, the more familiar it looked to Minri. Where have I seen this handwriting before? She thought to herself, concentrating on the swishy letters and dark scribbles. Taemin, on the other hand, was busy staring at the oblivious girl before him.

He studied her round, bright almond eyes, light eyebrows, and refined small nose. Suddenly, he was thinking about Miyun again.

"Noona, I don't think there's anyone in the world as gorgeous as you."

She giggled and poked his cheeks. "Aigoo, Taeminnie, I don't agree with you. There are plenty of beautiful people in the world. Much more prettier than me."

Taemin shook his head. "Ani, I think noona is the prettiest out of the whole world."

Miyun blushed. "You sure know how to make your noona happy, Taemin."

"I'm just saying the truth," he smiled gratefully.

"Taemin-sshi, why are you looking at me like that?"

"Huh?"

Taemin's thoughts evaporated as he sank back into Minri's presence. She was staring at him blankly, a small pout on her face.

"Is something wrong?" she asked.

"No, nothing's wrong," he replied lightly. "I was just. . ." His sentence drifted into nothing.

"Just what?" she asked, puzzled. When he didn't answer, she changed the subject. "Oh, also, I've been thinking about it. I think I recognize this handwriting."

"You do? Who's is it?" he asked.

Minri paused, hesitant about her answer. ". . . Heena."

~ ~ ~

Heena traveled her fingers across the table, tapping lightly while she stared down at her friends. Vivien glanced up at her anxiously but quickly broke eye contact when Heena caught her staring.

"So?" Heena snapped. "Are you guys in or what?"

"B-But, Heena," Senni stammered. "I don't think that's a good--"

"Are you saying that you're not on my side?" Heena interrupted with a glare.

"N-No, Heena, that's not what I meant!" the girl whined. "It's just--"

"Just what?!"

Vivien lifted her head up and gave Senni a look before turning back to Heena. "We'll help you, Heena. We're your friends, so of course we will. Don't worry about Senni. She's just being a scaredy-cat."

A satisfied smile appeared on Heena. "That's the right answer, Vivien. Friends are always there for each other. Right, Senni?"

". . . R-Right," the quiet girl answered, shifting her gaze.

An excited and dark giggle bubbled out of Heena. She tapped her sharp nails louder against the wood, digging her nails deeper until a long scratch was seen. Just you watch, Park Minri. If I can't have Taemin, then I'm going to ruin everything you care for. Just watch. You won't see it coming.

~ ~ ~

--Taemin's POV--

"So why did you decide to leave school without me?" I asked, not able to hold back my lingering question anymore.

Minri gave me an apologetic glance, which seemed to work on me. "I'm sorry. I was thinking about returning the umbrella to Jaejoong-sshi, and I completely forgot about our little promise. But at least right now, I'm able to do both things," she said, gesturing to our walk.

"Yeah." I let my hand drift to the side, falling beside Minri's. I caught sight of the umbrella, which Minri was casually swinging on her other hand.

"I'll help you carry it," I offered, holding out my hand.

"I'm fine," she answered, smiling kindly.

"I want to," I argued, taking the umbrella from her hand.

Minri frowned and tried to take the umbrella. "Yah, it's fine."

A smile formed on my lips at her persistent, but I didn't let her stop me. "No, I'll carry it."

"Aniyo!" Minri said stubbornly, gripping the handle as hard as she could.

I forcefully drew the umbrella closer to myself. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Without any intention, my pull had made Minri stumble toward me, her face inches away from mine. Time seemed to freeze as we stood there, staring at each other; wide eyed and heart pounding. I could smell her faint flowery scent. Minri's cheeks flushed deeply and she slowly released her hold of the umbrella.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"You smell like rain."

"What?"

"You smell like fresh rain," she muttered, looking away. "You better not be catching a cold now."

I laughed. "I promise not to."

"You don't know that for sure," she replied, walking again.

I followed her slowly. "I guess you're right."

We walked in silence for a few minutes. With anybody else, it would have been awkward. But with Minri, it was refreshingly calming. But then again,that was the old me. The old me liked to talk with people. The old me liked to laugh and laugh with people. Silence wasn't ever something I liked. But what about this new me? What is this new Taemin like? Is he happy with a silent walk in the street? Is he always so scared of losing someone who's standing right beside him?

I turned my head toward Minri. She wore a dim smile while strolling down the path. Once again, one word formed in my mind as I stared at her: Beautiful. Has she taken the place of Miyun for me? Or is this a blind illusion of mine? I still couldn't find my answer as I watched her slow gait.

Within a couple minutes, we arrived at Jaejoong's house. Minri had told me that Jaejoong had given her his address in case he was too busy at school for her to return the umbrella. As for me, I thought that he was just trying to get her in his house, where they would be all alone, just as he wanted. Not today, Kim Jaejoong. And hopefully, never. As long as I stay by her side.

I stood a few feet away as Minri knocked on the door to Jaejoong's big, expensive house. She knocked gently as if knocking too hard would cause the whole house to fall down. After a few seconds, a giddy Jaejoong opened the door and grinned as he saw her.

"Hey there," he greeted brightly. "You really didn't have to return it."

"i wanted to," Minri said. "And I'm already here anyway."

"Well, thank you," Jaejoong smiled, with a slight bow. "Would you like to come in for a drink or something?"

"Ani, I'm fine," she replied politely. "I'll be taking my leave now."

"Are you sure?" he asked in disappointment. Then he turned his eyes in my direction. Instantly his giddiness was gone. "Why is he here?"

Minri turned toward me. "Oh, Taemin? He's just taking a walk with me."

I nodded. "Is that a bother, Jaejoong hyung?"

Jaejoong's face hardened. "No, but maybe you shouldn't call me hyung. I'm still a teacher, after all."

"Student teacher," I corrected. Minri raised her eyes at us. I gave her a shrug.

"Well, it was nice seeing you," Jaejoong said to her.

"Nice seeing you too," Minri nodded. "See you tomorrow. Let's go, Taemin."

I turned around and we left his house. Relief immediately hit me as Jaejoong disappeared from sight.

~ ~ ~

--Jaejoong's POV--

I watched them leave before closing the door. As I sank down next to the wall, I could only think of Taemin's lifeless eyes staring at me coldly.

Get your hands off her, he seemed to say. Don't even try to hurt her with me around.

i guess he's finally starting to grow up, I thought. I closed my eyes and groaned. Miyun. Lee Miyun, do you forgive me? Do you forgive me for trying to move on when I can't seem to forget you?

Her black eyes seemed to replace Taemin's from my mind. Her long, wavy hair. Her pale, oval face.

Miyun, why can't my heart completely let go of you? Then she faded away from my mind as well.

Instead, Minri's happy smile glowed through my brain. Or am I already moving on?


Thank you for reading again! I know I don't have too many readers and my story hasn't been updated in forever, but I won't lose faith until I finish it. Thank you for all the support!