What friends are for

It Started With a Dance Battle

Idol’s POV:

We’re in the van, on our way to our next schedule. While the others are dozing off I’m re-watching the video of the girls for the umpteenth time. One time at dance practice I tried a few of their steps but the hyungs looked weirdly at me so I quickly stopped and continued with our choreography. I want to have time to learn their dance, but whenever I have free time I’m too tired.

“What’s that?” I hear a voice whisper to my right.

I jump in chock. The one person who didn’t sleep just HAD to sit next to me. Aish, what should I answer?

“Er.. It’s just.. A-a.. A video.” I mentally slap my forehead. As if stuttering wasn’t enough, I feel my cheeks redden.

“No ”, he rolls his eyes and my cheeks immediately gets even hotter, “When I asked I was hoping you could tell me what kind of video it is, and why you have it on your phone.” He whispers.

“Well… It’s a couple of girls…” I answer him in the same low tone.

“Did you..!?” His eyes widen.

-! He already figured out what I was doing that night!? Better play it coolly. Breathe in.. breathe out-

“What do you mean?” I ask him, still keeping my voice down, trying hard to look innocent.

“Don’t pull that look on me, I already know.”

“Know what?” I can feel my heart beating, it feels like it’s gonna jump out of my chest!

-Nooo! If he knows I’ve been sneaking out, especially if he knows it was because I wanted to go to a club, I’m dead for sure!-

“You’ve been watching right?” He whispers and grins knowingly.

-…..WHAT!?-

Amy’s POV:

As Yunnie and I are sitting at our favorite corner in Starbucks, with a White Chocolate Mocha each, I decide it’s time to have a serious talk. The last weeks she’s been distant, and she has huge bags under her eyes.

“Soo.. What’s been on your mind lately?” I ask her and her eyes grow bigger, and then she quickly looks away, avoiding my interrogative gaze.

-there really is something on her mind, and she hasn’t told me!?-

“Well.. I guess I’m just tired you know. I haven’t really slept well the last couple of weeks.”

“And why is that?”

“… I don’t know..” she answers and I raise an eyebrow.

-Does she really think she could get away with that?-

“And why is that?”

She takes a sip of her drink, probably to save time. She then carefully places it back on the table. She looks up at me and sighs.

“I feel like my dancing is getting worse.”

-Woah WHAT!? And here I thought her parents were getting a divorce, that she was pregnant or something like that! Aish that girl!-

“Hunny, you know that can’t be true. It’s not possible to become WORSE, you can only improve, unless you get injured or something. Besides, we’ve been dancing together these past weeks and I haven’t noticed anything.”

“Have you already forgotten how many times we had to reshoot that first dance video we made because of me?” Her voice is bitter.

“That was a one-time thing, are you still thinking about that?”

“Well.. Since then, when I dance I don’t feel as.. Happy as I used to be. Something is off and I don’t know what. Do you know how frustrating it is?”

I open my mouth to say something, but I don’t know what to say. If I were to stop enjoying singing suddenly without knowing why, I’d freak out too. And I have other hobbies, she only has the dance.
She starts talking again.

“I don’t want to get worse at it, I can’t! I’ll get kicked out of school and then mum and dad will insist that I should go to a “real” high school and then study to become a lawyer, or a doctor or something like that. I don’t want that, I’ve always wanted to dance and-“

“Will you just shut up and calm down for a second!”

She stops talking, is still open.

-I guess I overdid it..-

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to raise my voice.” I apologize softly.

“No it’s okay..”

“Anyway. So, your problem might be that you feel too much pressure from them. Have they been bugging you more these last weeks?” I ask her.

She’s silent for a while. I just let her be, I don’t want to yell at her again. I drink my mocha, waiting for her to speak.

“I guess they have.. It’s because I’ve been coming home later. I mean they’re fine with our dance-days and sleep-overs, but we’ve been hanging out more on schooldays filming, editing and uploading. Dad thinks it’ll affect my schoolwork.”

-This is why I can’t bring myself to like her parents. They’ve never been supporting..-

“Don’t listen to him, dancing IS your schoolwork.”

 

“I guess..” She sighs.

“Aww come on, cheer up, at least you don’t have ALS.”

She gives me a WTF-look, but at least she doesn’t look down anymore.

“What the heck does ALS have to do with this? Of course I don’t have it, why would I?”

“Well then, at least be happy that you’re healthy, you’re gonna get wrinkles at the age of 20 if you continue frowning like that.” I say as a matter of factly.

She sticks her tongue out and we both laugh.

-mission complete, she’s smiling-

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

-Oh, a textmessage-

From: Kevin<3

Where are you!? It’s cold<3


I look at the time.




-! I was supposed to meet him ten minutes ago!-

To: Kevin<3

Sorry bby! I’m with Yun, she needed some comforting. I’ll be right there!<3

-I can’t believe I forgot I was gonna meet him!-

“Just go!” I get out of my shock-mode, and look at her. She’s smiling.

“What?” I ask dumbly.

“It was Kev right? You should go.”

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

From: Kevin<3

You can stay with her if you want, she seems to need you more than I do. Or should I come to you, so we can cheer her up together? Are you at Starbucks? <3

“He says he’ll come here if we want.”

“Unless you want another Mocha it’s fine really. I need to get going anyway.” She starts putting on her jacket.

“Are you sure it’s okay?” I ask, and I can tell that she understands the hidden ‘Are YOU okay?’.

“It’s okay. Thank you for the coffee and the talk, it was very much needed.”

I look her in the eyes and when I’m sure she’s not lying, I get dressed as well.
We say goodbye and she runs over to the bus, just barely making it.
As soon as the bus starts driving, I walk(/run) to Kevin while texting him saying I’ll be there in a few minutes.

Kevin’s POV:

I rub my hands together, warming them. I know she’ll be here soon but somehow that makes me more impatient. I need to stop counting seconds and distract my mind.

-I hope Yun’s okay.. Well I guess Amy wouldn’t have decided to meet me unless she was.-

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

From: Amy<3

Sorry, I can’t meet you. Dad called and I have to get home. I’ll make it up to you, I promise!<3


-What the!? I’ve been waiting for 20 minutes and she’s not coming!? What did her dad want that was oh-so-important?-

I sigh and lean against the wall, looking up at the sky.

To: Amy<3

Noo! Well it must’ve been important if you had to go, I understand.<3 But you better remember to make it up to me!<3

-I guess I’ll just go home then-


Mimi’s POV:

“AAAH! ! Shoot him, shoot him!”

“Where?”

“He’s right behi-!.. Oh ..”

“Haha gotcha!”

“You sneaky little-!”

“Who’s laughing now, huh?”

“Oh look, there goes your head again!”

This is why I love Fridays. Fridays means no homework to do. Fridays means freedom.
And That’s exactly why Kiseop, CAP, L.Joe and I are playing COD Black Ops.

“Mimi, what time is it?” CAP asks.

“Uhh,”I look at my wristwatch, “four thirty, why?”

“Damn, then we need to get going.” L.Joe gets up.

“Wait where are you guys heading to?” Kiseop curiously looks from L.Joe to CAP.

“We need to get to our job.” L.Joe explains.

“Wait, what?”

I had no idea they had a part-time job.

“We work at a little coffee shop, the salary isn’t the best but the co-workers are all fun and time flies by so it’s cool.”

“But when do you start today then? Do you always work on Fridays?” Kiseop asks. At first I wonder why he’s asking all this but then I remember he said something about looking for a part-time job.

“At five, and we get off at ten. And we have this paper where we can write our names those hours we wanna work. It’s very flexible.” CAP explains.

“Soo.. Are they looking for a new employee?” I ask.

“Wait, why do you wanna work, you’re the laziest person I ever met!” L.Joe laughs.

“Who said I wanted a job? I just asked. So, do they?” I ask L.Joe.

“Yes, in fact they do. One guy just got fired because he was always late.”

“Well then, that’s perfect! Kiseop, you’ve gotten yourself a part-time job.” I smile at him.

“Wait what?” He looks confused.

“Come one, just go with them, then ask the boss if you can start working there. Just smile your cute-ulzzang smile and they’ll hire you immediately.”

“That seems like a good idea. Do you guys think it’ll work?” Kiseop asks them and they both nod.

“Definitely.” L.Joe states.

“Of course.” CAP smiles.

“That’s settled then! Now get going or else you’ll be late.” I say and all three of them hurry out to the hallway. Once they’ve all put on their jackets and shoes we say goodbye.

“Bye! See you on Monday!” Kiseop waves.

“See ya!” CAP nods.

“Bye bye!” L.Joe smiles and waves.

And then they walk out of the door.

I walk back in to the living room. The coffee table is full of bags with chips, bowls filled with dip and several soda cans.

I sigh.

-Time to start cleaning-


Kevin’s POV:

I need a long, hot shower. Firstly, because I’m still cold from this afternoon when I was stood up by Amy, secondly, because I’m gonna go to bed. I look at the clock, it’s 21:07, so it’s not late, but I don’t feel like doing anything other than reading right now.

Want to, but I can’t help it
I love the way it feels

-Who could be calling now?-
 
I look at the caller id.

-Amy?-
“Hello?” I answer and my eyes widen as I hear her shaky voice.

“Kevin… Can I come over..?” She sniffles.

“Amy what happened, are you okay!?” I mentally slap myself.

-‘Are you okay?’ of course she’s not okay! She crying for the first time in I don’t know how long and I ask if she’s okay! Pabo Kevin, PABO!-
“I’m not okay. Please tell me I can come over, I don’t know where else to go.” Her voice breaks and my heart as well when I hear her crying.

-What happened to her..?-

“Where are you, I’ll come and pick you up.”

“I’m by the park..” She tries to stifle her sobs, and fails.

-What happened to her?-

“Stay there, I’ll be there in five minutes.”

I hang up and sprint down the stairs.

“Where are you going?” My mum asks as I throw my jacket on.

“I’m gonna meet Amy, she’s upset over something.”

I don’t wait for an answer, I just run out of the door.

The same question that’s been on my mind ever since I heard her voice is going through my mind.

-What happened to her!?-