Six

Only One Person

The month passed by quickly for Hongki, who had spent most of his working time (and free time, much to Jonghun's annoyance) working on the CNBlue album, either with the members, or on his own if they were busy with schedules. Hongki's desk was covered in manuscript paper, littered with random bars of music, random lines and song plans, there was a keyboard propped up against the side of his desk, along with a bass and acoustic guitar, all of which had been neglected by Hongki, as he spent his time in the recording studio, using the instruments he had collected throughout the month and transferred to the room.

"Did you take a break?"

Hongki glanced up as he heard Yonghwa speak to him. "Did your schedule finish early?" Hongki asked, flicking his bangs from his face.

Yonghwa looked down at his watch, before turning his gaze back to Hongki and the mess of paperwork around him. "No. I've been gone for four hours."

"Seriously?" Hongki asked, grabbing his phone and checking the time. The elder of the two was right, he had indeed been gone for four hours, the time feeling like five minutes to Hongki. "I didn't realise the time."

"Lets eat." Yonghwa suggested with a soft smile. "There's a good barbeque restaurant just down the street."

Hongki nodded distractedly, scribbling a few notes onto a blank piece of manuscript paper before hopping down from the keyboard stool. "Sounds good." His stomach growled at the thought of food, Hongki not realising just how hungry he was.

Yonghwa chuckled, throwing an arm around Hongki's shoulders and leading him from the room. "I would have never placed you as being a workaholic."

"I'm not a workaholic, I'm passionate." Hongki corrected with a grin, letting Yonghwa lead him from the building and towards the restaurant.

Yonghwa chuckled. "Okay Mr Passionate, how much work did you complete whilst I was gone?"

Hongki squinted as he stepped out of the building, wishing that he had picked up his sunglasses from his keyboard before leaving. "I finished Lie."

"The one we were having trouble with?" Yonghwa questioned.

"Yeah, Jonghyun mentioned something before he went to his schedule that inspired me." Hongki muttered, bringing a hand up to shield his eyes from the sun.

"Here." Yonghwa said, stepping into the restaurant and greeting the owner with a hug.

Hongki followed Yonghwa, bowing to the restaurant owner before stepping over to the table Yonghwa was now sat at. "You seem pretty friendly with the owner." Hongki commented.

Yonghwa smiled, "he fed us when we were struggling trainees, barely getting by on the pay we received from doing gigs at the club." Yonghwa waved a hand in the air, "ajussi! We'll have meat and two bottles of Coca-Cola."

"Hey! Jung Yonghwa! I don't care if you're some hot-shot idol, respect your elders!" The owner yelled back.

"Ajussi! I'm your best customer!" Yonghwa called before turning his attention back to Hongki. "So, what was the solution?"

Hongki stared at him blankly for a moment before realising that Yonghwa was talking about the song. "It needed to be a duet. The lyrics were too much for one person to sing, the timing was never going to fit. But with two people, the timing can be altered slightly, the lyrics overlapping slightly to fit." Hongki explained. "I'll show you in the studio."

 

~###~


"I love you, I love you,
I can’t even hug you even though it hurts,
No matter how hard I try to hold on to you,
No matter how hard I call out my love,
I can’t."

Yonghwa watched as Hongki ended the song, singing the part that would be his as he sang Jonghyun's lyrics. The words tumbled effortlessly from Hongki's lips, full of the emotion and wanting that was written into the song. "That's it."

Hongki's eyes fluttered open as Yonghwa spoke, a smile replacing the hurt look on his face. "The lyrics fit better, right?"

Yonghwa nodded, stepping over to the keyboard where Hongki was sat and handing him back the sheet music. "You know," Yonghwa muttered, eyes trailing over Hongki's face, "I don't know why they didn't put you as a lead singer, the way you convey your emotions when you sing is simply amazing."

Hongki felt himself flush at Yonghwa's words, eyes fixed on the keyboard in front of him. "I'm not that good."

"You're far better at immersing yourself in the music than me." Yonghwa continued, "and it's not like you don't have the looks to be an idol."

Hongki laughed shortly before standing. "I'm sure Warner have their reasons for keeping me behind the scenes." He said, avoiding Yonghwa's gaze. "I need to go, my hours are over for today."

Yonghwa smiled, placing a hand on Hongki's shoulder. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Hongki nodded, grabbing his bag and sunglasses. "Yeah." Hongki said as he hurried from the room, wondering what the hell had just happened.

 

~###~


"Hey."

Hongki smiled instantly as he heard the familiar voice of his boyfriend. His body had automatically taken him home. "Hey, baby." Hongki crossed the small distance from their door to the couch, pressing a soft kiss to Jonghun's hair. "I missed you today."

"I missed you too." Jonghun said, his voice full of amusement. "Did something happen? You're very affectionate."

Hongki shook his head, settling on the couch next to Jonghun and pressing his nose into Jonghun's neck. "I can't show my boyfriend how much I love him?"

Jonghun wrapped an arm around Hongki, holding him close. "You can. Did you have a good day at work?"

Hongki nodded softly, the motion causing his hair to tickle Jonghun's neck. "Finished another song."

"I'm proud of you." Jonghun said, running his hand along Hongki's arm. "You're so focused."

"What are you watching?" Hongki asked, his attention half on the television.

"Some drama, I'm not really paying attention." Jonghun said, his eyes on Hongki. "It has that guy from C.N. Blue in it."

"Minhyuk?" Hongki questioned.

"No, the leader." Jonghun answered. "It's a pretty old drama, but the cast is pretty enough to watch without having to actually pay attention."

Soon enough Yonghwa appeared on the screen, causing a flush to rise to Hongki's cheeks, the events from the day playing through his mind, the way that Yonghwa had so openly complimented him.

"He was in your class at school, right?" Jonghun asked.

Hongki nodded, "yeah." He tightened his grip on Jonghun.

"It must be pretty weird, seeing him on TV."

"I see him around the office sometimes. His band is signed to Warner." Hongki commented, before shifting his position, straddling Jonghun and pressing a kiss to his lips. "Let's not talk about him, I think of far better things to be doing."