Thirteen

Only One Person

"Hongki?"

"What are you doing here?" Hongki asked, not looking up from his laptop, recognising Yonghwa's voice instantly.

Yonghwa stepped into the room, glad that Hongki was alone in there. "I found out something that you should know."

"Have you been stalking me again?" Hongki asked sarcastically, shutting the lid of his laptop and giving Yonghwa his attention. "I thought President Choi told you the consequences of this type of behaviour."

"You'll want to know this." Yonghwa insisted, walking slowly towards Hongki's desk, stopping as soon as he was level. "It's about Jonghun."

"You're stalking my boyfriend now?" Hongki scoffed, his seat pushing away from him as he stood. "Leave me alone."

"Do you even know what he does for a living?" Yonghwa asked, trying to keep his voice calm, leaning casually against the side of the desk opposite Hongki's.

"He works as a musician in a bar." Hongki answered confidently. "Now get out, before I make you."

"Leaving the industry to work in a strip club. I'm surprised you allow that." Yonghwa commented with a casual air, knowing how it would affect Hongki.

Hongki blinked, his heart dropping as he heard Yonghwa speak. "What?"

Yonghwa laughed shortly, "I guess he doesn't tell you everything after all." Yonghwa made a show of stretching, popping his back before turning back towards the door. "I'll see you around, Hongki."

"Wait!" Hongki said quickly, hand reaching out and grabbing Yonghwa's arm to prevent him leaving. "How do you know this? How do I know you're not lying?"

"The club is called Genie's Lamp. It's a couple of blocks from here, Minhyuk took us there last night." Yonghwa shrugged. "Ask the boys." He pried Hongki's hand from his arm. "I have to go, I just wanted to let you know."

Hongki nodded, hands fumbling as he reached for his mobile phone, scrolling through the contacts until he found Jungshin, the maknae had classes before with Jonghun, and would be able to tell.

"Hyung?"

"Jungshin, did you go to a club called Genie's Lamp last night?" Hongki asked.

"Yeah."

"Was Jonghun there?" Hongki was unsure if he actually wanted to hear the answer.

"Yeah, he works there." Jungshin answered. "Why?"

"No reason." Hongki said, before ending the call, his upset turning to anger. Why would Jonghun lie, saying he was working as a musician when he was working as a stripper?


~###~


Hongki angrily punched in the pass code into the electronic lock. He had left work early, citing personal reasons, and took a cab home rather than walking as usual. He made a frustrated noise as the door refused entry before keying in the code again, taking more care as to not get the code wrong again and alert the security. Hongki swung the door open with more force than was necessary, the door impacting with the wall.

"Baby?"

Hongki almost scoffed at the pet name, kicking his shoes to one side before entering the apartment, slamming the door shut behind him.

"Baby, are you okay?" Jonghun stepped into Hongki's line of sight, his casual clothes covered with an apron. "Did something happen?"

"What are you working as?" Hongki asked, struggling to keep his voice low.

"A musician, I play piano in a club." Jonghun said, face etched with confusion. "You know that."

"At Genie's Lamp?" Hongki asked, watching as Jonghun's face paled.

"How do you know?" Jonghun asked quietly.

"You shouldn't be worrying about that!" Hongki yelled, his anger getting the better of him. "I can't believe you're working there! Are you that desperate to earn money that you'd work in strip club? Do you think that this is any better than what we used to do!?"

"Hongki, I-"

"Do you think I like other guys looking at you? Do you think that it doesn't matter? Do think that I wouldn't care just because there are videos of you out there?"

"I'm not doing anything wrong!" Jonghun insisted, his voice rising to be heard over Hongki.

"You're working in a place like that, that's bad enough!" Hongki spat, stepping past Jonghun and into their shared bedroom.

"What are you doing?" Jonghun asked, following Hongki, confused at his boyfriend's actions.

"What does it matter to you?" Hongki grunted, tossing teeshirts from their dresser into a bag on their bed. "You made your choice when you started to work there." Hongki moved, grabbing jeans and trousers from the wardrobe and adding them to the bag. "Selling yourself to those erts." Hongki zipped the bag closed, pulling it over his shoulder.

"I'm not!" Jonghun insisted, blinking back the tears that had gathered.

"You were seen, last night!" Hongki yelled, stalking out of the bedroom and back to the entrance of the apartment, pulling his trainers on. "I can't stay here with you."

"Don't go!" Jonghun pleaded, desperately wrapping his arms around Hongki's midsection as he stood. "Don't leave me."

Hongki carefully pried Jonghun's arms from him, pulling the door open. "Goodbye, Jonghun."


~###~


"Hongki?"

"Hyung, can I stay here tonight?" Hongki shifted from foot to foot in front of Heechul's upmarket apartment.

"You have a perfectly good apartment." Heechul answered, nevertheless opening the door wider for Hongki to step though.

"We had an argument." Hongki admitted, slipping his trainers off and following Heechul into the apartment, stopping suddenly as he spotted someone else in Heechul's apartment - a blonde haired man perched on the end of his couch.

"Oh, this is Hangeng." Heechul announced with a grin. "He's staying the night, I hope you have earplugs."

The man known as Hangeng flushed at Heechul's bluntness, Hongki shrugging before setting his bag on the coffee table. "Hyung, I've slept through you having before, you're not nearly as loud as you think you are."

"So, what did you argue about?" Heechul asked, handing Hongki a bottle of beer, ignoring the fact it was a little past six PM.

"He works in a strip joint." Hongki said quietly, sitting at the opposite end of the couch before downing half the bottle of beer. "He lied to me, saying he worked as a musician."

"He might work as a musician in the club." Heechul said thoughtfully.

"My friends saw him last night." Hongki explained.

"You're hiding friends from me?" Heechul asked in fake astonishment, trying to bring a smile to Hongki's downcast face.

"The band I'm working with." Hongki continued.

"Wait. Is this the same band with the guy that tried to blackmail you?" Heechul asked.

Hongki nodded. "The other members are good guys, it's the leader that's a douche. They confirmed he was working there." Hongki finished the other half of the bottle before turning to Heechul, who helpfully handed him another bottle. "I don't know what to do, hyung."

"Do you trust him?" The blonde man asked, and Hongki noted that he had a strange accent.

"Chinese?" Hongki guessed, watching in amusement as the man nodded. "Of course I trust him." Hongki continued.

"Do you love him?" The Chinese man spoke once again.

Hongki nodded. "Yes. More than anything."

"Then it shouldn't matter if he is working as a stripper or a musician." The blonde ended sagely.

Hongki turned to look at Heechul, who had a sickeningly sweet look on his face. "Hyung?"

"I think I'm in love." Heechul murmured softly before snapping out of his stupor. "You could always go there and check up on him."

"I don't know what to do at the moment." Hongki admitted, gulping back more of the beer, "I'm so angry, I don't think I'm in the right mind to see him at all, let alone see him stripping for others."

"Stay the night, get some sleep." Heechul advised, slinking onto the blonde man's lap, "if you manage to sleep over us."

"Don't worry, I have my iPod."


~###~


Hongki couldn't sleep. Heechul and Hangeng had ended their activities hours ago, and yet Hongki was still wide awake, eyes staring at the ceiling, Jonghun's handsome face filling his mind each time he closed his eyes. Hongki replayed what he could remember of their argument, he was so enraged that whole sections of the argument were missing. He could vaguely remember the shocked look on Jonghun's face as he confronted him, the way that Jonghun vehemently denied doing anything other than playing music, the way Jonghun had pleaded for him to stay.

Hongki missed holding Jonghun in his arms as they slept, the way that the younger, even though he was taller, would rest his head on Hongki's chest, directly over his heart. He missed the way that their legs would entwine, bodies pressed together until there was no space between them.

Hongki sighed, flicking on the lamp that was on the table by his head, glancing around the room until he found a pen and paper, writing down the lyrics that flooded his head.

That such a thing couldn't possibly be, that you wouldn't do such a thing,
That there would be no goodbyes, it's what I believed.


Hongki couldn't stop, even if he wanted to, the pen moving across the page in a blur as he wrote, his feelings, his heart, exposed for all to see.

I'm missing you, missing you, person I miss to death,
The words I cannot say though I miss you so much and long for you.


Hongki matched the lyrics to chord progressions, before adding a melody, scribbling rough notes around the lyrics about ideas of adding a string orchestra to add depth, the perfect string accompaniment already playing in his head, the name of the exact piece Hongki couldn't place, but he knew that if he played it at work, the other composers would be able to tell him.

Hongki stared at his work, once again he was inspired to write a full song in less than five minutes, once again inspired by Jonghun. It was then he made up his mind, he knew exactly what he was going to do.

 



Lyrics of course are Missing You by FTIsland.

Hangeng makes an appearance, however HanChul is not my SuJu OTP (TeukChul, EunHae and KyuMin FTW).

 


Character Reference Picture


 

Hangeng.