Chapter One

Only One Person

"Good morning, beautiful." Hongki grinned, pressing a kiss to the forehead of his boyfriend. "I will never get sick of waking up next to you."

His boyfriend let out a rather undignified grunt and pulled the covers over his head. "Let me sleep."

"And you thought I would be the one you'd have trouble waking for work." Hongki chuckled, hands working under the covers and snaking around the other body. "Jonghun, wake up, I want a proper kiss."

"I have nothing to get up for." Jonghun mumbled into his pillow.

"Not even me?" Hongki questioned, a pout on his lips.

Jonghun grunted in reply before turning his head and pressing a soft kiss to Hongki's pout, settling back into his lover’s arms. "It's early." Jonghun spoke, voice laced with sleep.

"I know." Hongki said, regretfully pulling away from Jonghun. "I'm working with a new band today, and their schedule is crazy." Hongki pressed another kiss to Jonghun's forehead before leaving their shared bed. "I'll be with them most of the day." Hongki pushed his underwear towards the floor before moving towards the bathroom. "I'll call by the cafe later to see you." He called over his shoulder, only to be met by the soft snores leaving Jonghun's body.


~###~
 

"This band requested you by name, Hongki." Park Jungsu explained. The man that had scouted Hongki a little over one year ago had been promoted to a manager, Hongki one of the writers and composers he was responsible for.

"Really?" Hongki questioned. Within his year of working for Warner Music, was he mostly responsible for writing debut songs for up and coming artists, occasionally his work being selected for more established idol groups as additional mini-album songs. There were few composers working under Warner that were requested by name.

"They're one of our most popular groups at the moment, releasing two mini-albums in their debut year, we're now getting ready for them to release a full length album. The leader of the band is very active in writing, and wants to work with you to produce the tracks."

Hongki nodded, following Jungsu through the corridors of Warner Music towards the recording studios. "Thank you for the opportunity." Hongki said, bowing his head towards his manager.

"Thank the band." Jungsu smiled. "This is a great opportunity for you Hongki, most of our established composers and writers haven't been called to work with a group by name." Jungsu stopped outside of one of the recording studios, hand hovering over the handle. "If you do well, you'll cement yourself as one of the best writers and composers within Warner Music, you'll never be short of work, and your contract will definitely be extended."

"I'll do my best." Hongki nodded, taking in his manager’s words.

Jungsu opened the door, leading Hongki into the room. "Hongki, this is Jung Yonghwa, leader, lead singer and rapper of C.N. Blue."

Hongki looked past Jungsu and at the seated figure, a guitar on his knee, it indeed being the man he knew from university. Hongki bowed as Yonghwa looked up, "thank you for the opportunity."

"Yonghwa, this is Lee Hongki." Jungsu continued, "he'll be working exclusively with C.N. Blue until the album is completed."

"Hongki, it's good to see you again." Yonghwa spoke, smiling as their eyes locked.


~###~


Hongki put down the papers he had been reading. It was a mixture of lyrics and compositions that Yonghwa had already been working on, none of them completed.

"What do you think?" Yonghwa asked, placing his guitar to one side. He had handed Hongki the ideas as soon as Jungsu had left the room, leaving Hongki to read the work whilst he strummed random riffs and chords on his acoustic guitar.

"There are some good parts." Hongki said honestly. "The compositions are well thought out, but need completing, and all seem to be missing something, that extra spark to make them brilliant."

"What about the lyrics?" Yonghwa continued.

"I like the ideas, and some of the lyrics are brilliant." Hongki said. "But again, others are lacklustre, written for the sake of being there, missing any emotional connection." Hongki glanced at Yonghwa, who had a slight flush on his face at facing such harsh criticism. "Sorry."

"No. I'd rather you tell me, than have them rejected from the album, or to face criticism from the fans." Yonghwa said, a smile gracing his lips. "It's easier to hear it from someone I know, someone who I respect as a writer and composer."

"Is that why you requested me?" Hongki asked, "because you know me?"

"No." Yonghwa answered. "I requested to work with you after hearing your final composition last year, after listening to every song you've wrote since. You're amazing Hongki, your lyrics and songs convey emotions, even if the person singing them doesn't. You're far more talented than me."

Hongki felt himself flush with embarrassment as Yonghwa complimented him so openly. "Thanks."

"Shall we get a drink?" Yonghwa suggested. "Then we can start to link lyrics to compositions, hopefully get at least one sounding halfway decent."

Hongki nodded, standing from his seat. "I need to collect a keyboard anyway, so coffee sounds good."

"It's only vending machine coffee." Yonghwa said apologetically, placing his guitar to one side before standing, stretching his arms above his head, his teeshirt raising and showing a thin stripe of stomach.

Hongki smiled, knowing that just one year ago he would have stared at the stripe of tanned skin, but that was before. "Lets go."


~###~


"...I act like a fool when you smile,
When I look at you, you are like a pretty doll,
My heart goes thump thump when you are near,
Because of you my day is better..."

Hongki sang the portion of lyrics almost without thinking, fingers pressing the chords on the keyboard as Yonghwa accompanied him on his acoustic guitar.

"It fits well." Yonghwa commented as Hongki finished playing the notes.

"The composition is good." Hongki said, "and the lyrics fit that section well. We should finish the lyrics and then play it through."

"We'll have to do that tomorrow." Yonghwa said, packing his guitar away. "I have to meet the others for a schedule. Photo-shoot."

Hongki nodded, scribbling a few notes on the handwritten music, pencilling the lyrics above the corresponding section. "Same time tomorrow?"

Yonghwa nodded, giving Hongki a final smile before leaving the studio.


~###~


"Iced Americano and a large espresso." Hongki ordered as he arrived at the counter.

Jonghun smiled, hearing his boyfriend's voice. "I'm not on break for another fifteen minutes."

"I'll wait." Hongki smiled, wanting nothing more than to lean over the counter and press a kiss to Jonghun's plump lips. Instead he reached into his wallet and pulled out the required money, handing it to Jonghun, their fingers brushing softly against each other.

"Someone will bring your drink over." Jonghun said, giving Hongki a smile before moving to serve the next customer.


~###~


"On the house." Jonghun said as he sat opposite Hongki, sliding a fresh drink in front of him.

Hongki half nodded, immersed in his manuscript pad, pencil moving across the page and scribbling notes on the paper.

"Earth to Hongki." Jonghun placed a hand over Hongki's, startling him.

"Sorry, baby." Hongki apologised, moving the pad and pencil to the side, concentrating on the handsome man in front of him. "You know how I get."

Jonghun nodded, taking a sip of espresso. "It's a good job I love you."

"Thank you." Hongki smiled, pressing a kiss to Jonghun's lips, tasting the espresso he had just drunk. "I love you too."

Jonghun ducked his head, the words and display of affection never failing to bring a flush to his face.

"How has your day been?" Hongki asked, "did you leave bed before midday?"

Jonghun smacked Hongki's arm lightly. "I woke up not long after you left, and, work is work, same as normal. I make coffee, I take orders. Nothing exciting."

Hongki heard the resentment in Jonghun's voice. He knew Jonghun didn't want to work in the cafe for the rest of his life, but he had been unsuccessful in finding alternative employment, and was refusing to work in a generic office. "You'll find something soon." Hongki pressed another kiss to Jonghun, "I'll ask if we need any session musicians."

"I don't want to rely on you." Jonghun muttered, his fingers interlacing with Hongki's. "I should be able to find work on my own merit."

"You will." Hongki said. "The opportunity will come when you least expect it." Hongki took a sip from his glass, finding that Jonghun had already added the syrup for him. "I really do love you." Hongki smiled, "you're the only one that adds the syrup just right."

"Flattery will get you everywhere Lee Hongki."

 


Authors Notes:

So, chapter 1 down. Jonghun and Hongki are back and Yonghwa, I bet you weren't expecting that.

Just like EiP, there will be some flashbacks throughout this, showing how Jonghun and Hongki spent their first year together :D

Also, thank you to the lovely 32 of you that subscribed already! I am feeling the love!

I am hoping to be able to update this once a week, I hope that you stick around because the first comes in chapter 3 :)


Character Reference Pictures

Lee Hongki. Composer and writer for Warner Music.

Choi Jonghun. Cafe Assistant.

Park Jungsu. Hongki's Manager.

Jung Yonghwa. Leader of C.N. Blue.