Heads on the Edge

Stranger Oppa

 

 

 

 

  “Let’s pay for the bill,” Kris got up. “Okay,” Nana got up and took her purse.

  Kris went to the cashier and took out his wallet. “Oh, Kris, I got a phone. I’ll be right back.”

  Nana went outside and pick up her phone. She turns his body while talking on the phone. She saw someone very familiar..

 

  A girl and a guy looked at each other deeply. The guy’s hand cupped the girl’s face. For almost 10 seconds, the girl touched the guy’s hand. They stopped looking at each other and grew awkward. Nana looked at the girl carefully. And then she realize she know this person.

 

  “I’m sorry. I got to hang up.” She hangs up her phone and walking fast through the crowd. The girl almost walks away. Before she walks any further, Nana called a name.

 

  “AESOOK!!”

 

  The girl looked a bit surprised and the guy looked back. Nana ran into them and stopped in front of them. “Aesook..” she took a deep breath.

 

  “You’re Aesook right? Right?!”  Nana shook Richu’s hand, or Aesook’s. Aesook froze, “W-what..” Aesook looked at her. “I-I’m sorry mam, but I think she’s not the one that you’re looking,” Tao looked stunned but strict. Tears began to filled Nana’s eye, “No, no! You’re Aesook! You’re the only one Aesook.” A tear fell and she took Aesook’s hand.

 

  “You can’t forget me.. no, you can’t forget your unnie. Yaa.. Kris has waiting for you all along. Aesook.. Please, you know me right?” she Aesook’s hair. Aesook was scared and confused, and sad. She shook her head, “I-I-I don’t know.. I..” she began to cry too.

 

  “Mam, we- she’s not Aesook, her name is Richu.. but..” Tao got pity but confused and got anxious, what if this person knows the real Richu? What if he has to let her go? How he explain to her?

 

  Kris came out from the restaurant and looked for Nana. He saw her figure from distances. He ran to her. “Nana!” Nana looked at Kris. But then Kris saw Aesook and stopped. Then he walked slowly.

 

  City light doesn’t help the mood that much, but drizzle did. Drops of drizzle began to felt on their skin. People took out their umbrella from their bags. Kris’ hands were shaking. He took Aesook’s hand. He goes forward and hugged her. Aesook felt something that makes her just leaned to Kris and cry in his arms.

 

  Tao just realize that the guy was Kris, his senior. “Richu-“ Tao stopped by Nana’s motion, at a glance he understand them and get stand back straight.

 

  “Aesook-ah.. Where have you been? Oppa has looking for you, have you been well, you’re not hurt anywhere aren’t you.. You should go home now okay? How about your school? Aesook, oppa really miss you. Why didn’t you call me? What has they done to you? You remember me right? Aesook.. I’m sorry, I’ve been a bad oppa for you. Don’t hate me, please..”

 

  Aesook’s mind goes blank and white as she hear Kris talked. “A-Ah..AAH!” her head were hurt so badly. She couldn’t even see or hear anything. “Aesook!!” Nana surprised saw Aesook fell. “Ri-richu!”

 

  “We should just bring her to the hospital.” Kris doesn’t care much about people around them. He pick Aesook up and went to his car.

  “Richu—“ “I think it’s better for you to come with us, and I’m sorry I still don’t know you but, this is Aesook.” Tao just nodded to Nana’s words. They ran to Kris’ car.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

  Kris was driving and Nana sat beside him. Tao was sitting at the back while Aesook lay her head on his lap. At that time Kris realize that the guy was Tao, his junior. “Ta-Tao?” “Uhm, yes sunbaenim?” Nana was a little bit surprised when Kris and Tao talked. “You two know each other?” “Tao, how could you know her? Why were you walking with her?” Kris eyes almost let out fire with his glare.

 

  “Kris, let him explain what happen first. Don’t ask him much. Tao-ssi, can you explain?” Nana talked with her soft voice and Tao nodded. “So.. I don’t know if you will understand me or not. Believe me or not. But I should tell you the truth..” Kris and Nana grew curious, “What? Why?”

 

  “I found- I mean I really found her in a dumpster. I was walking home but I need to threw something. So I went to the big dumpster. And when I threw it, I discover her.. I mean found, I mean.. yeah you know..” Tao was super nervous. “When was it?”

 

  “About.. Almost a month ago. No, it was 3 weeks ago.” Nana looked at Kris, “Kris.. was it?” Kris ignores Nana and still focusing on Tao. “Then what did you do to her all this time.”

 

  “I-I’m really sorry but.. I told her I was her older brother.” Tao felt small and embarrassed.

 

  “She was injured quite badly. She was hardly can walk and her head was injured. I think she can’t remember anything. Because she really believes that I was her brother. But then I was really confused and get a little troubled by myself. Because.. What if she knew I was lying all along? How to explain it to her?”

 

  “I’ve been living with her. Went some hard things. Joke with her. Laugh and cry with her. Even my roommate has become her friend to.” He laughed.

 

  “And the day has come. I don’t know what to do now. I can’t explain anything to her. I know I should take every responsibility about her now, but I think I failed. Now I have to let her go for you two. And I feel just need to disappear right away from her sight. But I fell for her..”

 

  Nana and Kris was stunned and disappointed. Kris doesn’t know how to explain to Aesook too if the    situation was like this. “Ah! Why am I talking like this! I talked nonsense. I’m sorry..” Tao try to get his mind back.

 

  “Tao-ssi.. are you serious about her? I mean. Honestly, I stopped when you said that you ‘fell for her’. Are you serious about falling for her? You like her? In the other way?” Nana asked him.

 

  “I-I..” Tao looked down at his sweaty palm and played Aesook’s hair. “Tao, are you?” Kris asked him, but they have arrived at the hospital. So, Aesook took to the emergency unit.

 

  Kris rushed with her and nurses, he stopped by a doctor. “Doctor, please can I come in?” “We’re sorry sir, but nobody can come in besides doctor and nurses. Excuse me,” “Doc-“ the doctor closed the door.

 

  Kris looked up, close his eyes and rub his face down to his neck. “Kris, just wait here, okay? Sit, I’ll finish the administration and all.” Nana rubbed Kris’ arm and went to the administration. Kris sat and covered his face.

 

  Tao stand straight from his leaning to the wall position, “Sunbae.. I’m so, so sorry. This is my fault now she’s like this. If at the first time I just help her to find her family, she won’t be in shock. I’ll take all the responsibility. I can’t see her—“

 

  “Tao,”

 “Just call me ‘gege’ if you comfortable. You’re from China right?” Kris gave him a slight smile and signed him to sit.

 

  “Sun-Gege, I’ll take all the responsibility, I won’t see her. I’ll just dissapear from her sight after she’s awake. I’ll pay the expenses. And maybe that way she can—“

 

  “No,”

  “Tao, no. You’re a part of her life now. You’re in her present memory. She could just remember you but not me. So, whatever it takes, if you want to take a responsibility, take it with her. Lead her.” Kris smiled. Tao can’t help but reply his smile because of his wisdom. Kris ruffled Tao’s hair.

 

  “Just consider me as your brother too. You know what I mean,” they laughed.

  “Hey, what’s with the mood? Did I miss something?” Nana came and sat beside Kris. “No, nothing. Just man-to-man talk.” Kris act like nothing happened. “Hmm secret huh?” they laughed.

 

  About 45 minutes later, Nana and Kris went to the cafeteria to grab some snacks. But not long after that the doctor came out. “Chang Aesook’s family?” “Y-yes,”

  “You may come in, she’s now still unconscious.. Can I talk to you?” The doctor said with serious face.

  “Ah, doctor, maybe you can talk to her brother, after this.. He’ll come right away.” Tao said carefully.

  “Oh, okay, of course. Nurses took her to a inpatient room,” the doctor smiled and go.

 

  Tao came in and sank into a deep cliff of his own heart. Seeing Aesook, or he could say that it’s Richu, lying on a white bed. Half of her body covered with a broken white blanket. Surrounded by machines and her whole face almost covered by a mask. He took her hand, looking deeply to Richu’s small face.

 

  “Shouldn’t we be at the cinema now? Or we got home already?” he sat on some spaces on the bed.

 

  “Richu, I’m sorry for lying to you all this time. I didn’t mean to. I was just thinking of myself then. But now I realize, it’s wrong. You’re real. You can be hurt, you can feel. You’re not a figure that came to my life to make me happy. You deserve happiness too.”

 

  “You’re real family here now.” He lied his head on Richu’s belly, “Will you leave me? I’m not ready.. we just knew eachother less than a month. I still need you.”

 

  His eyes still locked to her hand. He locked his fingers with hers. But when he release and relaxed his hand, her hand almost fell. A tear slided down on his cheek. “Richu-yah, why didn’t you grabbed my hand back? Why didn’t you even move? Are you going to let me go? You’re going to leave me? ... Please.. don’t..”

 

  He lift his legs up and let it lie on the bed. He held her hand tightly and cried silently until he fell asleep.

 

  Nana poked her head into the room. She saw Aesook and Tao lying on the bed together with their hands clasped. She smiled and get her head back off of the room.

 

  “Why smiling?” Kris asked. “No, nothing,” Nana grinned and took Kris’ arm.

  “I think I know who’s the most sad and anxious person now. Even before you.”  Nana dragged Kris to the hallway. “Who? What do you mean?” Kris looked at Nana. “Just see,”

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

  “AAISH where’s that morrrrooooon?!” she was shivering from cold.

 

  Sehun looked his cousin from distance and snorted, “Psh, old idiot is really here.”

 

  Sehun walked behind Minah and pose on a wall. His hands were on his jeans pocket and one of his foot were folded up. He puts on I’m-cool-so-back-off face. And begin his act.

 

  “Hey, lookin’ fur someone? He’s here~”

  Sehun’s finger moved through his hair and he his lips.

  “EW EW EW DISGUSTING!!! Take this.” She threw her luggage to Sehun.

 

  He tried to took it but it fell. “YA YA YA!! I’m not you’re slave!!”

  But Minah already walked with her killer high-heels and red leather dress.

 

  “EW EW EW” he mimicked her. “How could she’s not get seduced or something in the middle of the night with those clothes on? OH YEAH she’s scarier than a big foot!”

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

  Sunrise light the room. The windows are open.. maybe the nurse came in. Tao woke up  and saw their hands still claspped. He smiled and looked to Richu’s face, “Morning Richu.” He saw her sleeping face. He crawled up and  caressing her cheek. “you’re warm Richu..” he got up and kiss her cheek.

 

  He took a glass of water and went to the bathroom. He washed his face and look up to the mirror.

“Aesook.. Richu.. hhh I hope you’re only one.”

 

  He went out and saw Kris already stand beside Aesook.

  “Gege..”

 

  “Hey, morning,” the atmosphere was more than awkward. It feels like last night was alright and what they thought of was only Aesook. But thinking about that night again, it was awkward.

 

  “Uhh.. have you see the doctor?” Tao started the conversation.

  “Yes, he said she’s alright. Just because of her shock she’s unconscious. But with her last injured body, she has to rest more to get back. Now her friends are these machines.” Kris smiled.

  Worries drew on Tao’s face. He looked Aesook and his eyes back to Kris. Kris catch Tao’s eyes.

 

  “No, you don’t have to be that worry. She has suffer like this before. But, still. The best accident that she has is this. Fell from a building. She has luck that she landed on bags of trash.” Kris really try to make Tao calm.

 

  “She has suffer before..?”

  “Yeah, cheerleading, captain of forrest scout. She has fall, slipped and all.” Kris opened a tip of the blanket to show Aesook’s feet.

  “You see that scar?” Tao looked at her ankle. There’s a long scar circle her ankle.

 

  “It was from 4 years ago. She fell from a tree when scouting. Bad luck that time, she fell into a shallow ravine. Full of rocks. Because of that scar the doctor says she couldn’t walk anymore.” He touched her ankle and cover it back.

  “How she could walk? Magic? Miracle?”

  “Both? Maybe both. She has that inside her.” Kris smiled and kiss Aesook’s temple.

 

  “Tao you should go home now. Go rest, I’ll be here with her.” Kris took his laptop bag and wear his glasses.

  “But you’ll be here alone,” Tao Aesook’s hair.

  “I’m going to work, and maybe Nana will come later. Plus you need to finish your own work.” He tapped a bunch of paper with a pen.

 

  In an instant Tao remember his work that he has to do for this semester.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

  “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA”

 

  Sehun awakened from his own shock because of a scream. He jumpped from a sofa that he sleep on last night. He was at a hotel room. With Minah of course. 

 

  “MOR—OOOOOOON!!!”

  “WHAT?! I think she was switched at birth with a baby witch!”

 

  He came to Minah’s room and slam the door open.

  “WHAT?!”

  “Oh MY GOD. There was a mouse!!” she pointed at the back of a lamp tabble. “Psh, no way there’s a mouse here! It’s a good hotel!” Sehun rolled his eye. “JUST. SEE.”

 

  Sehun move the table and he only found a little cocroach. “Uh, do you mean this?” he put a disbelieve face.

  “YES!” Minah pull her blanket up.

  “Ooh, so THIS?” Sehun slowly aproach her with the cocroach in his hand.

  “Y-yes. W-What are you doing?!”

 

  “This. IS NOT A MOUSE STUPID!!! THIS. IS. A . COCROACH!!!! HAVE YOU EVER GRADUATING FROM KINDERGARTEN?!”

  Minah shut and thought.

  “Ugh! Whatever. I’m out.”

  “Wait!!! Then what am I going to do here?!”

  “Whatever! You’re the one who’s paying!!” Sehun took his phone.

  “WHAT?!”

 

Sehun went back to Tao’s house.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

  Tao place his phone and wallet on a table. He took a glass of water and sit. Then he lay his body on a quite long sofa. Not long after that the door opened.

 

  “Tao, you’re out?”  Sehun entered as he took off his shoes.

  “Hmm”

  “Richu hasn’t wake up yet? Strange.”

 

  “No,” still cover his eyes with an arm.

  Sehun walked to Richu’s room and found no one’s there. “Uuh.. Where’s Richu?!”

  “Not here.”

 

  “Where?! Tao get serious!!” Sehun searched her in the house.

  “She’s with her family.”

 

  Sehun stopped, “What?”

 

  “She has a family. Now she’s with them. Her real family.” Tao got up from the sofa. “No.” Sehun shook Tao’s body. “You’re kidding right Tao?! HUH?!” Tao look him in the eye. “No. She’s fine with her family. Her family said its fine about us, include you. We can see her, its okay.”

 

  Sehun got up, still being stiff but relieved. “Then where is she now?” “Hospital.” Sehun mock Tao. “You said she’s alright, but she’s in a hospital?”

 

  “GOD Sehun. She’s with her own family now. Real family. And she’s not harm much. She’s only unconscious because of shock.” Tao almost loss his control.

 

 

  They grew silent. And then Sehun sat infront of Tao. “Beside, her family is nice. We know him.” Sehun’s eye got back to Tao’s, “Him? Who?”  

  “Kris, Kris sunbaenim. He’s.. her brother.” Tao looked back.

 

  Silents get back.

 

   “Wow, I’m not shocked.” Sehun leaned back.

  “Huh?”

 

  “Yes that time when you were away.  We went to college. And I think Luhan hyung said something about him. Then she was kinda got her memory back-mode. Then lalalalala Kai, lalalalalala that thing.” Sehun explained.

  “So, Kris sunbaenim really is his brother.” “Yeah..”

 

  Tao stand up and went to his room, “Tao! Where are you going?” “Room?” he pointed the door. “I mean what are you going to do there?” “Finishing my work for this semester. I have to graduate.”

  And then the last time Tao saw Sehun that day was he was sitting on a sofa followed with a BAM sound of a door.